Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who are the current goto guys for cheap strorage, abount 1TB - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who are the current goto guys for cheap strorage, abount 1TB

Comments

• storj...?

• How about iDrive e2? They are currently doing a half-price yearly offer for $15.

Do they have good reliability?

• @k9banger said:
    How about iDrive e2? They are currently doing a half-price yearly offer for $15.

Do they have good reliability?

They are decent but the half price is not recurring

• @Crunchbits website says out of stock. IS @FAT32 @Crunchbits when he is not being a moderator?

• Storage accessible over SSH: @NetDynamics24
    S3 compatible: iDrive e2

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • @emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:
    If I recall correctly, first 10 GB is also free.

Worth backblaze?

What do you mean? I’m tired😆

Sorry, 10gb free with Backblaze?

Yeah, I think so

Storage
    $6/TB/Month
    Data stored with Backblaze is calculated hourly, with no minimum retention requirement, and billed monthly. The first 10GB of storage is free.

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-storage/pricing-v1

Three tier storage illustrated. The file is written in the notebook for optimal latency, followed by storage on the machine on the guys desk. Finally archived in the flower bucket

• ehabehab Member
    edited February 9

@labze is sexy with storage

he is also sexy on other things.

@c1vhosting has the cheapest but haven't tested for production yet.
    he is always horny so ask him.

• Does @liteserver.nl have any offers on display here? Those on the regular pages look high.

@crunchbits looks fine at $6 for 2TB, but the all the locations appear to be sold out.

@c1vhosting - the $15/year offer looks irresistible if it is for 1TB but he seems to have a sketchy reputation on some current threads. Is the $15 worth risking or should I go for the current iDrive offer?

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@k9banger said:
    Does @liteserver.nl have any offers on display here? Those on the regular pages look high.

Get in touch with us in case you're looking for a specific plan. We might be able to help you :-)

• remyremy Member

@k9banger said:
    Does @liteserver.nl have any offers on display here? Those on the regular pages look high.

@crunchbits looks fine at $6 for 2TB, but the all the locations appear to be sold out.

@c1vhosting - the $15/year offer looks irresistible if it is for 1TB but he seems to have a sketchy reputation on some current threads. Is the $15 worth risking or should I go for the current iDrive offer?

Hosthatch !

• For Cold Storage I'd go with these guys:
    Do note it will be expensive to retrieve your data

• Scaleway Object Storage - Glacier (2 EUR / TB)
    • AWS S3 Deep Glacier (1 USD / TB)

Some more provider with reasonable price

• Wasabi ($6.99/TB)
    • Backblaze B2 ($6/TB)

I would go with a Storage VPS but make sure you have redundancy for your data

• listerine90listerine90 Member
    edited February 9

@labze is sexy with storage

he is also sexy on other things.

@c1vhosting has the cheapest but haven't tested for production yet.
    he is always horny so ask him.

I would not recommend doing business with c1v if you're looking for long term reliability, their reputation is currently in shambles.

Hostbrr and Crunchbits are the most cheapest and the most reliable budget storage VPS'es currently and would recommend them both. No problems for me on those providers.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep
    edited February 9

Backblaze B2, setup s3fs, turn on tamper proof retention in their dashboard.

Others have mentioned free egress on Cloudflare R2, but Backblaze gives you 3x your bucket size egress for free, each month. So the egress isn't a huge deal to most I would imagine.

So if you have 10TB of data stored on Backblaze B2, you can download/egress 30TB before you're billed.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Hy @k9banger

we can help you out with 1 TB:

2 vCPU Xeon CPU V4
    2 GB DDDR4 RAM
    10 GB NVME Boot Drive
    1 TB HDD Storage Add-on (Raid 6)
    1 Free Backup of Boot Drive
    1 Dedicated IPV4 IP
    1 Dedicated IPV6 IP, /64 upon request via ticket
    Internet @ 2 GBPS / Best Effort
    Unmetered Internet Traffic

10 USD / MO

• aj_potcaj_potc Member
    edited February 9

@emgh said:
    I also want to mention the Cloudflare support is awesome over @ Discord.

Obviously you won’t get account-related help, but they have so many people that really care about the product.

I saw some weird usage, and they helped me; obviously, it was my fault at the end.

I also randomly interacted with some Cloudflare dev on Twitter (not x) and since everytime I discover bugs, I send them to him (quite a lot at this point) and he always thanks me and says he’ll notify the affected team, and to me it seems like it’s always quickly resolved afterwards.

It’s like the exact opposite of OVH.

I've been looking for a while at S3-compatible providers as a place to store static image assets to be served on image-heavy sites. Up until now I've been serving images off dedicated servers sitting behind Cloudflare.

Some providers, like Wasabi and Backblaze, seem to market themselves more for archival and backup usage. I suspect Cloudflare R2 would perform better for my use case, as serving up Web content is their main focus. But I'm really not sure.

Do you have any experience with how these providers perform?

I'd hate to migrate my data to one of them, only to find that performance accessing certain less popular content is terribly slow. Not everything can be in Cloudflare's cache, so I need "cold" accesses to be reasonably quick.

• listerine90listerine90 Member
    edited February 9

@aj_potc said:

Man, I've been jumping with so many S3 providers back then, from AWS S3 to Backblaze to Wasabi and then I found my home R2

The problem with backblaze is that I need more bandwidth, plus their requests per dollar is also billed, so it might be problematic if I suddenly got a big surge of traffic and came in unprepared. I looked somewhere for cheap Egress and found Wasabi, but I immediately moved when I discovered their deletion policy and the way they charge for storage. On those days R2 was still on its beta stage so I was really lost on where to go until probably on early 2022 when they started rolling out public beta for their R2.

R2 is basically s3+CDN packed into one, they don't have a set location but will store files on a location that is more frequently visited. There are location hints but I am not sure if they do anything lol.

I have been using them for over a year, with 10k class B requests per month and dont have to worry a single thing about egress ever again.

I've never experiened any issues with R2, even with the infrequent files, they load almost instantaneously.

They have free 10gb storage as part of the free tier stuff, you can probably do some testing in there and maybe you will come to like it.

Thanked by 1aj_potc
  • emghemgh Member
    edited February 9

@aj_potc before designing your system, simply upload an image and see the loading times from where your visitors are and see for yourself if it’s good enough or not.

At least, that’s what I’d do.

• @listerine90 said:

@aj_potc said:

I have been using them for over a year, with 10k class B requests per month and dont have to worry a single thing about egress ever again.

I've never experiened any issues with R2, even with the infrequent files, they load almost instantaneously.

I appreciate the feedback about R2.

However, I will probably be looking at something around 100M Class B requests per month, so this will add a good bit to the cost.

• @c1vhosting said:

@k9banger said:

€15/yr VAT incl.

Interested, can I have more information?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@k9banger said:

got some cheap storage here.
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/192601/new-year-more-dedicated-machines-from-data-ideas#latest

• @FrankRuan said:

@c1vhosting said:

@k9banger said:

€15/yr VAT incl.

Interested, can I have more information?

DM

• Oneprovider Storage Instance OneCloud

• @lowendtalkxdax said:
    1TB

Backblaze B2 (6usd, gotten expensive, reliable, s3 compatible, egress cost extra if you download too much)

iDrive E2 (2.5usd, better read some reviews before buying, s3 compatible)

Hetzner Storage Box (3.5usd, no s3 natively, need modification for it to work, the higher storage options are really cheap, servers only in Europe however)

What modifications are needed to make S3 work on Hetzner storage box?

• @k9banger said:

@lowendtalkxdax said:
    1TB

Backblaze B2 (6usd, gotten expensive, reliable, s3 compatible, egress cost extra if you download too much)

iDrive E2 (2.5usd, better read some reviews before buying, s3 compatible)

Hetzner Storage Box (3.5usd, no s3 natively, need modification for it to work, the higher storage options are really cheap, servers only in Europe however)

What modifications are needed to make S3 work on Hetzner storage box?

Hetzner Storage Box + Hetzner Cloud VPS + S3 compatible storage software e.g. MinIO.
    All on the same network location. At 1TB it’s worse then Backblaze though, since the VPS cost separate. Above 5TB (11€+4€) and 10TB (21€+4€) it becomes worth in certain situations.

For small amount of data + blazing fast, Cloudflare R2 is the choice.
    Around 500G-1TB Backblaze B2, ok speed
    Above 5TB Hetzner Storage Box + VPS, not the fastest but the cheapest.

Every service above you can test yourself first. R2 and B2 both have 10G free, you can do Speedtest for free. Hetzner VPS is calculated hourly, storage box 4€/month → testing cost about 4€. And then there is iDrive (also 10GB free) you can test it as well.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • DataMan2024DataMan2024 Member
    edited February 12

IDrive e2 has been working great for me for object storage. Their 1TB plan costs just $30/year, and they're also giving 50% off the first year which is a steal. Also no egress fees and they offer free cloud migration if you're looking to switch from another service.

• @DataMan2024 said:
    IDrive e2 has been working great for me for object storage. Their 1TB plan costs just $30/year for 1TB, and they're also giving 50% off the first year which is a steal. Also no egress fees and they offer free cloud migration if you're looking to switch from another service.

Ditto to this. I have been using them to store about 4 TB of backups (for about 50 websites spread across 25 VPSes) for the past 6 months. Haven't yet had an outage, and no issues writing backups to them dozens of times a day.

I do have my Synology set to poll my iDrive buckets every 5 minutes and pull down any changes to my local NAS, so even if there were to be an outage, I could spin up a new bucket in a different iDrive E2 region and upload all my data. Bit of a pain, but there should be less than 5 minutes worth of potential data loss.

• jayjayjayjay Member, Patron Provider

We could do the following:

BF23 - KVM - NL - 2G
    2 vCPU Cores
    1.5 TB HDD
    2 GB RAM
    5 TB Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Network
    1x Dedicated IPv4
    Cost: $8/mo or > @k9banger said:

We could do the following:

2 vCPU Cores
    1.5 TB HDD
    2 GB RAM
    5 TB Bandwidth
    1 Gbps Network
    1x Dedicated IPv4
    Cost: $8/mo or $80/yr (~$6.6/mo)

Plans are all listed on https://www.mlnl.host (NL VPS tab)

• @JasonM said:
    backblaze b2
    I've even tried cloudflare storage.
    but love b2.

[Full disclosure - I'm Chief Technical Evangelist at Backblaze]

Thanks for the love! I'm curious - what makes B2 a better fit for you than Cloudflare R2. Price? Features?

• @crunchbits said:

@AXYZE said:
    Backblaze is using erasure coding with data distribution across 20 nodes, each in another cabinet. 17 data, 3 parity.
    Its way above RAID-6 on single node in terms of durability.

The reason I said I wasn't sure what their products are is because they seem to do both. It appears they are 2 different products (Storage Pod vs Vault Pod) but I don't follow them too closely, and it looks like Storage Pods are deprecated/on hiatus and Vault Pods = B2? My assumption was that the cloud storage is an erasure coded backend, especially at their scale.

[Full disclosure - I'm Chief Technical Evangelist at Backblaze]

The pods themselves aren't products, and there aren't two different kinds. Well, there are, but not in that sense. Let me explain...

Backblaze does have two different products: Computer Backup and B2 Cloud Storage. When we built Computer Backup, back in 2007, none of the existing ways of putting storage online (Amazon S3, commercial storage servers etc) could do so at our target price, so we designed and built our own storage servers, and called them Storage Pods.

Each Storage Pod originally held 45 hard drives (current ones hold 60). As mentioned above, files are split into 20 shards for storage. Originally, 17 held data, with 3 storing parity, but we've increased the number of parity shards as drive capacity has increased, since it takes longer to restripe a new drive after a drive failure. Those 20 shards are stored on 20 different hard drives, each in the same position in a different pod. Those sets of 20 hard drives are called "tomes", and the set of 20 pods is called a "vault". We deploy multiple vaults in each of our data centers.

So, every Storage Pod is part of a vault, and data from Computer Backup and B2 is stored side-by-side in the same cloud storage infrastructure.

Now, originally, we did design and build the pods, but, over time, the storage server market evolved, and we now buy off-the-shelf servers from SMC. They don't look as nice as the bright red custom Backblaze pods, but they cost significantly less!

All of the above is well-documented on our blog, but I was sensitive to this coming off as an ad, so I didn't paste in all the links. I can provide them if you're interested.

• @metadaddy said: [Full disclosure - I'm Chief Technical Evangelist at Backblaze]

Wow, your head is balder and shinier than @HostSlick's!