Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Hosting Providers Comparison - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Hosting Providers Comparison

Comments

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited January 25

One issue you can run into with iCloud using you're own domain and use a catch all.

If you ever need to reply from a address on your domain you need to add it as a alias you only get three per domain if you ever need to send from a 4th address you will need to remove a alias, the issue is iCloud rejects mail sent to removed alias even when they should still be accepted due to the use of a catch all.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • I just wanted to pop in here and say MXRoute is freaking amazing, they should charge more.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Oldschool said:
    I just wanted to pop in here and say MXRoute is freaking amazing, they should charge more.

How much more are you ready, willing and able to pay - starting today?

More seriously, what are the features of the service that amazes you?

• @JosephF said:

@Oldschool said:
    I just wanted to pop in here and say MXRoute is freaking amazing, they should charge more.

How much more are you ready, willing and able to pay - starting today?

More seriously, what are the features of the service that amazes you?

Unlimited accounts and domains as long as I'm under my storage, deliverability, being a "small" company with excellent support and if it couldn't get any better than that they are in Texas, yeehaw

Thanked by 1jar
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emgh's inleed.xyz (not his, but a lovely swedish company)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Before I discovered MXRoute I was using Zoho, but I think MXRoute is unbeatable.

• @v8200t5 said:
    Before I discovered MXRoute I was using Zoho, but I think MXRoute is unbeatable.

How do the two above services you've had experience with compare to each other?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited January 26

@v8200t5 said:
    Before I discovered MXRoute I was using Zoho, but I think MXRoute is unbeatable.

Don't praise mxroute to much, @jar tends to become lazzy fck if praised to much. Keep him on the edge.

• emghemgh Member

@FatGrizzly said:

Yeah, they deserve more praise for that. Very few providers giving that away..

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @emgh said:

@FatGrizzly said:

What are they giving away?

• emghemgh Member

@JosephF said:

@emgh said:

@FatGrizzly said:

What are they giving away?

Free email with custom domains

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • @JosephF said:

@v8200t5 said:

I like that the MXRoute Lifetime plan comes with 10GB storage and no limits on the number of domains or email addresses you can create because I don't really need storage, just a way to add mx servers for my domains. In the past there have been a couple of hosting options like Pressable that didn't offer any email service which was kind of annoying because I was used to cpanel. Now I find it much more convenient to just add my domains to MXRoute in case I switch hosts and I don't even need to fumble around with cpanel anymore...

With Zoho Mail you can get 10GB per user for about $1 per month which is what I would consider a fair price to just receive and send normal business emails.

In the end it all depends what you want and need. Do you mainly care about the storage, number of domains/mailboxes, or do you want to send a lot of emails?

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 26

@v8200t5 said:

@JosephF said:

@v8200t5 said:

I like that the MXRoute Lifetime plan comes with 10GB storage and no limits on the number of domains or email addresses you can create because I don't really need storage, just a way to add mx servers for my domains. In the past there have been a couple of hosting options like Pressable that didn't offer any email service which was kind of annoying because I was used to cpanel. Now I find it much more convenient to just add my domains to MXRoute in case I switch hosts and I don't even need to fumble around with cpanel anymore...

With Zoho Mail you can get 10GB per user for about $1 per month which is what I would consider a fair price to just receive and send normal business emails.

In the end it all depends what you want and need. Do you mainly care about the storage, number of domains/mailboxes, or do you want to send a lot of emails?

I get that MXRoute has fantastic and, essentially, unbeatable competitive pricing (unless you have mailboxes with very large storage usage). But I was really wondering more on a features, ease of use and technical level how they compare to the competition.

• v8200t5v8200t5 Member
    edited January 26

I have the impression that you're overcomplicating the choice maybe a little bit. Like I asked before: What features are you looking for? How many domains/mailboxes do you need? Do you mainly want to send or receive?
    Ease of use: You need to set the mx records in your DNS as with all other providers, create a mailbox by typing a user name and password. Done.
    Technical level: I never had problems with MXRoute or Zoho Mail.

Personally I have stopped comparing after I found MXRoute because it just works! I still have the same list as in your first post somewhere in my Google Sheets where I tried to compare prices, features, etc. but in my opinion there is nothing better than MXRoute on the market...

The list that has been posted before also should give you all the information you would ever need to make a fact based choice:

@hyperblast said:
    list of emailproviders:

https://dismail.de/serverlist.html

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • PlokePloke Member

My favorite is Zoho :)

• @Ploke said:
    My favorite is Zoho :)

What makes you like them more than the alternatives?

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited January 26

@JosephF said: How do the two above services you've had experience with compare to each other?

Guys, MXRoute is a perennial favorite here on LET, and I do believe it deserves the love that @jar gets -- he's a unique, passionate provider with a unique and ultra-affordable product that works well for a lot of people. He's also a highly competent guy who tirelessly works to make his product a success. It is make or break for him, he's worked hard to make it what it is... in fact, he's kind of a LET success story if you think about it. He doesn't tolerate fools, but he also seems to have a big heart (I don't know him personally, but I'm reading between the lines from observing his forum posts). He has won over the loyalty and respect of many LET users AND providers with his product and approach, and his email service notably has a very good deliverability rate, which is on par - if not better - than many of the "big corporate" email providers.

However, you can't really correctly compare MXRoute to a multi-million dollar company (or in Zoho's case, now a billion dollar company). Zoho's legal department alone probably has a vastly bigger budget than MXRoute and most of the providers here on LET. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a totally different kind of business. Zoho has 16,000 employees spread across its entire product portfolio, serving millions of customers. They have their own in-house stack and a massive development team and huge global IT infrastructure. MXRoute, on the other hand, leverages existing open source and commercial components to get massive cost savings with a unique server scaling model that is vastly different than what Zoho does, and yet @jar has miraculously come up with a viable, effective product that is worth every penny. But the whole MXRoute development team consists of basically @jar and maybe some consultants he brings in to help out (I'm speculating about the consultants, @jar feel free to correct me). I'm also not saying any of that as a negative or positive for MXRoute as well, that's subject to your own preferences and needs. But it is worth keeping in mind when doing "comparisons."

Personally, I trust @jar enough to use his services, and I hope his business thrives. But I also use other email providers that have different features and business models, and are more suited for different purposes.

I do not currently use Zoho BTW, as I find their privacy policy to be too invasive, it's therefore not for me. But other people obviously have no problem with it, and I wish them the very best. I am highly familiar with it though, and it couldn't be more different than MXRoute in many ways, too many to list here, and also that wouldn't be helpful anyway, since what is important to me might be totally irrelevant to you!

I'm mainly saying that it's very difficult to compare any two email providers without knowing what YOU really need. In this case, it's especially hard to compare MXRoute to anything actually, in fact there are very few providers that have successfully attempted the same business model that @jar has done. And the ones that have attempted that same model are probably not nearly as experienced or effective as @jar.

Anyway, this is not a criticism of either MXRoute or Zoho or any other email providers. If anything, it's partially a testament to @jar that he's managed to pull off this business model successfully. And more importantly, my primary point re: this thread is that when you compare email providers, consider comparing apples to apples, instead of apples to oranges. In this case, both are valid choices. But even more importantly, it comes down to what you really need. I suggest that you at least just keep that in mind when you are comparing email providers -- or any providers mentioned in this forum TBH. There are a LOT of great providers out there (and @jar is one of them!) with different features and target markets. And as I said earlier in this thread:

@jlet88 said: It's impossible to do a really good head to head comparison BTW, unless you include what YOU truly need and want, which will be different than what someone else needs and wants. There are too many flavors of email, too many features, too many needs and preferences, too many perspectives to be truly helpful in a general thread like this IMO. A comprehensive matrix of all features is also not effective IMO.

Cheers and good luck!

Thanked by 3JosephF jar rafaelscs
  • kvz12kvz12 Member

@jlet88 said:

@JosephF said: How do the two above services you've had experience with compare to each other?

I do not currently use Zoho BTW, as I find their privacy policy to be too invasive, it's therefore not for me. But other people obviously have no problem with it, and I wish them the very best. I am highly familiar with it though, and it couldn't be more different than MXRoute in many ways, too many to list here, and also that wouldn't be helpful anyway, since what is important to me might be totally irrelevant to you!

What part of their privacy policy do you feel to be too invasive, just out of interest? I think it's pretty good compared to most other companies.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited January 27

@kvz12 said:

@jlet88 said:

What part of their privacy policy do you feel to be too invasive, just out of interest? I think it's pretty good compared to most other companies.

Like I was implying in my prior posts, it doesn't matter with I think of it, but rather it matters what YOU think of it.

I do recommend that everyone should thoroughly inform themselves of the privacy policies of all their service providers. Of course probably less than 1% of people actually do that. But if you've read the entire Zoho privacy policy, including the detailed policy, as well as the Zoho Group Entities Details and the Service Specific Sub-processors and Third Parties documents, and after reading all that, YOU are satisfied with it, then that's all that matters! Who cares what I think about it?

As for my own personal issues with Zoho's privacy policies, the list is too long to put in this forum, it would needlessly clutter up this thread. And again, who cares what I think about it? And it would actually be a long thread itself discussing privacy policies in general, legal language and ramifications, jurisdictional issues, and the significant implications for your personal information. Not many people would care to read it. :D And of course, every service provider knows that people don't read those documents, and therefore they get away with a lot of things that people might be very surprised about! It's kind of sad, but it's the way the world works right now.

As for Zoho's privacy policy being "pretty good compared to most other companies," my response is, "what other companies?" (No need to answer that.) I'm sure we could both find 100 big companies that have "worse" privacy policies, whatever that means to you. And also 100 that have "better." Again, it's really up to what YOU prefer and need in your situation, and that's all that matters.

BTW, side note: I've learned a long time ago it's not worth getting into the small details about such things in a forum like this UNLESS there is a very specific agreed context about what constitutes "good" and "bad" or "better" and "worse" -- otherwise the conversation doesn't tend to go anywhere useful, and sometimes it can get very much derailed.

Cheers, and as always, good luck!

• kaitkait Member

@Levi said:

@kait said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't MXRoute amazing, and if you want to self-host it you just use mailcow with mailbaby so you dont have to worry about IP rep.

Middle man voids the point of self-host. Than just go with MXroute.

But was my previous commend you reacted to correct? I want to self-host some parts someday, but don't want to worry about IP rep, is something like Mailbaby perfect for that?

• pbxpbx Member
    edited January 27

@Razza said: One issue you can run into with iCloud using you're own domain and use a catch all.

Good to know, thanks. By chance did you try setting up more than one account (as members of the same "family")?

@kait said: I want to self-host some parts someday, but don't want to worry about IP rep, is something like Mailbaby perfect for that?

Mxroute could do the job as well (other - eventually free - solutions that will let you send mail to the problematic servers as well!), you can setup postfix to use it only when sending to specific domains.

In /etc/postfix/transport_maps you could have something like:

# recipient domains that have rejected the main MX
    msn.com         smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587
    hotmail.com     smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587
    outlook.com     smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587

and in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587 user@domain:password

That way you keep control on the emails you store, and use mxroute only to send mails to the domain that reject your mail server: you keep maximum control.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • RazzaRazza Member

@pbx said: Good to know, thanks. By chance did you try setting up more than one account (as members of the same "family")?

No not tried to open more than one account.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 28

@pbx said:
    # recipient domains that have rejected the main MX
    msn.com smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587
    hotmail.com smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587
    outlook.com smtp:[subdomain.mxroute.com]:587

Btw, Microsoft email has utilized more domains than those. The main one missing there is live.com. Another is passport.com (and passport.net). But even among those, they've used specific ccTLD extensions for users overseas instead of .com.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @FatGrizzly said:

Does Inleed's free mail hosting require other services? I can't tell if the free mail hosting is open to people who are not customers otherwise.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 28

Another provider worth considering is WeDos. 1.46€/month for 5GB of storage and an unlimited number of mailboxes.

https://www.wedos.com/email-hosting/

Another is CloudCone. $2.99/month for three domains, 30 mailboxes, and 10GB storage.

https://cloudcone.com/email/#pagetitle3

A roll of the dice is 1dohost, which is a new hosting provider. They are a 20i reseller. You can order their standard, basic, web hosting plan for $1/year (yes, per year), which includes an unlimited number of mailboxes with 10GB of storage per mailbox. (20i plans include an unlimited number of mailboxes with this amount of storage each.)

https://app.1dohost.com/order-hosting

• kvz12kvz12 Member

@Turbo_Pascal said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Does Inleed's free mail hosting require other services? I can't tell if the free mail hosting is open to people who are not customers otherwise.

It doesn't, but keep in mind if using an email client (not the webmail), your source IP is leaked in the headers. At least it was when I last tested it out.

Thanked by 1Turbo_Pascal
  • @kvz12 said:

@Turbo_Pascal said:

@FatGrizzly said:

It doesn't, but keep in mind if using an email client (not the webmail), your source IP is leaked in the headers. At least it was when I last tested it out.

Gmail has been stripping out the IP address for from the headers ever since they started. I thought, by now, the other services have followed suit.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 28

I found this Indian provider F60Host, selling services including in the US, offering Google Workspace at $1.20/month or at $10/year. I'm wondering how they could be pricing Google at this low point and whether it is reliable. Is anyone familiar with them?

https://f60host.com/

They're also, somehow, advertising on ProductHunt an offer of Google Workspace for a one time $69 payment for lifetime service:

https://www.producthunt.com/products...space-lifetime

They seem to be a subsidiary of Fourty60 ( https://fourty60.com/ ), which claims to be partners with some large international firms in the industry.

• First, let me bookmark this.

• pbxpbx Member

@JosephF said: Btw, Microsoft email has utilized more domains than those.

Yeah that was just an example; a full list of microsoft domains + other "hard to reach" providers would be interesting, as that would make it possible to quickly have a setup that will encounter as little delivery issues as possible.