Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Hosting Providers Comparison - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email Hosting Providers Comparison

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Does any provider allows white label reselling? I mean generic named MX records, good API and appropriate billing.

• So I’m at a bit of a junction myself where I’ll probably be looking to transition away from Google, specifically Google Workspace (not the free tiers). Been with Google for quite some time now as I generally find the email works well, web UI is solid, search works well etc. A key driver for me was that Google Workspace allowed access to Google Sync which meant I get push emails on my iPhone, a perk the paid account support that free accounts do not. Probably worth pointing out that I don’t want to adopt the Google Mail app as my mobile client.

In 2020 (I think) Google announced they would be ending Google Sync. They quickly extended the end of life for that to ‘some time in the future’ but the writing was somewhat on the wall. Since then I’ve been using a mix of Fastmail for secondary accounts and Google for my primary. Last week I got an email from Google saying Google Sync will now be retired in September this year for all existing customers and as far as I’m aware the only options to retain push email are to use Googles app, or a third party one that has OAuth login to Goole (Canary Mail may be viable here).

Chances are in Q3 this year I’ll go to Fastmail for all my personal mail. The reason I have adopted that is that it’s been solid in the period I’ve trialed it for. As for why I initially settled on that, it has some very appealing features for me. First and foremost, is the masked email integration with 1Password, which is my password manager of choice. By and large I’ve really loved having that feature where I can have 1Password generate masked email addresses when signing up for services. At the time only 1Password was supported, although I think Protonmail may also be now days. Secondly Fastmail plays very well with iOS. Has push email etc which as above, was a key driver for paying for Google Workspace. Fastmails mobile app is alright too but I like that the service plays so well with my mobile devices native app. Overall Fastmail works well and fits in very nicely with my devices and other services.

I do also have some MXRoute plans and I use those for my hobby blogs etc for alert delivery etc. Things like my Pausible weekly reports and the like. No plan at this point to move my primary email over, but it is a good service and one I would be happy to recommend if it ticks someone specific boxes. Obviously doesn’t have some of the niceties I am leveraging with Fastmail but, such as the password manager integration.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Smigit said:
    So I’m at a bit of a junction myself where I’ll probably be looking to transition away from Google, specifically Google Workspace (not the free tiers). Been with Google for quite some time now as I generally find the email works well, web UI is solid, search works well etc. A key driver for me was that Google Workspace allowed access to Google Sync which meant I get push emails on my iPhone, a perk the paid account support that free accounts do not. Probably worth pointing out that I don’t want to adopt the Google Mail app as my mobile client.

In 2020 (I think) Google announced they would be ending Google Sync. They quickly extended the end of life for that to ‘some time in the future’ but the writing was somewhat on the wall. Since then I’ve been using a mix of Fastmail for secondary accounts and Google for my primary. Last week I got an email from Google saying Google Sync will now be retired in September this year for all existing customers and as far as I’m aware the only options to retain push email are to use Googles app, or a third party one that has OAuth login to Goole (Canary Mail may be viable here).

Chances are in Q3 this year I’ll go to Fastmail for all my personal mail. The reason I have adopted that is that it’s been solid in the period I’ve trialed it for. As for why I initially settled on that, it has some very appealing features for me. First and foremost, is the masked email integration with 1Password, which is my password manager of choice. By and large I’ve really loved having that feature where I can have 1Password generate masked email addresses when signing up for services. At the time only 1Password was supported, although I think Protonmail may also be now days. Secondly Fastmail plays very well with iOS. Has push email etc which as above, was a key driver for paying for Google Workspace. Fastmails mobile app is alright too but I like that the service plays so well with my mobile devices native app. Overall Fastmail works well and fits in very nicely with my devices and other services.

I do also have some MXRoute plans and I use those for my hobby blogs etc for alert delivery etc. Things like my Pausible weekly reports and the like. No plan at this point to move my primary email over, but it is a good service and one I would be happy to recommend if it ticks someone specific boxes. Obviously doesn’t have some of the niceties I am leveraging with Fastmail but, such as the password manager integration.

💜

Just in case you’re unaware, we do also support Push with the stock iOS Mail app. Because it’s usually enabled by default when a mail account is added, I only mentioned the deployment here: https://headwayapp.co/mxroute-changelog/push-notifications-on-ios-255875

Thanked by 2Smigit Konbu
  • @jar said:

@Smigit said:
    So I’m at a bit of a junction myself where I’ll probably be looking to transition away from Google, specifically Google Workspace (not the free tiers). Been with Google for quite some time now as I generally find the email works well, web UI is solid, search works well etc. A key driver for me was that Google Workspace allowed access to Google Sync which meant I get push emails on my iPhone, a perk the paid account support that free accounts do not. Probably worth pointing out that I don’t want to adopt the Google Mail app as my mobile client.

💜

Just in case you’re unaware, we do also support Push with the stock iOS Mail app. Because it’s usually enabled by default when a mail account is added, I only mentioned the deployment here: https://headwayapp.co/mxroute-changelog/push-notifications-on-ios-255875

Thanks for the info :) I certainly wasn’t aware

Thanked by 1jar
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@Levi said:
    Does any provider allows white label reselling? I mean generic named MX records, good API and appropriate billing.

We do.

1. Customizations including white-label MX, SPF, mailserver hostname, web portal
    2. Complete API support
    3. Reasonable monthly pricing with no contract lock-ins
    4. Emphasis on reliability with automated DIY recovery

Pavin.

• Yandex mail?

• @tiendungdev said:
    Yandex mail?

If you want the KGB checking up on you.

• @JosephF said:

@tiendungdev said:
    Yandex mail?

Oh

The Committee for State Security was the main security agency for the Soviet Union from 13 March 1954 until 3 December 1991. As a direct successor of preceding agencies such as the Cheka, GPU, OGPU, NKGB, NKVD and MGB, it was attached to the Council of Ministers.

Thanked by 1scooke
  • kvz12kvz12 Member

@JosephF said:

@tiendungdev said:
    Yandex mail?

Realistically what would they do with your data that other companies like Google wouldn't?

Thanked by 1scooke
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

@kvz12 said:

@JosephF said:

@tiendungdev said:
    Yandex mail?

Realistically what would they do with your data that other companies like Google wouldn't?

It's a Russian company. They are subject to the whims of the Russian government.

I never used Kaspersky either.

Thanked by 1scooke
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 23

We've been using Windows Live Admin Center since 2007.
    Microsoft qualify is to be trusted.
    However, as of 2013, I seem to have lost the ability to create new accounts in my domain, and can only continue using my existing account.

• KonbuKonbu Member

@jar said: Just in case you’re unaware, we do also support Push with the stock iOS Mail app. Because it’s usually enabled by default when a mail account is added, I only mentioned the deployment here: https://headwayapp.co/mxroute-changelog/push-notifications-on-ios-255875

I didn't know.
    Always wanted to do this.\(^^)/

Thanked by 1jar
  • kaitkait Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't MXRoute amazing, and if you want to self-host it you just use mailcow with mailbaby so you dont have to worry about IP rep.

• LeviLevi Member

@kait said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't MXRoute amazing, and if you want to self-host it you just use mailcow with mailbaby so you dont have to worry about IP rep.

Middle man voids the point of self-host. Than just go with MXroute.

• kaitkait Member

@Levi said: Middle man voids the point of self-host. Than just go with MXroute.

Self-hosting is fun except the IP reputation scam of Google/Microsoft and the bunch.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited January 23

@yoursunny said:
    However, as of 2013, I seem to have lost the ability to create new accounts in my domain, and can only continue using my existing account.

What is the url to login to administer Windows Live Admin Center domains?

I had this service years ago but lost my login info. My domain MX record is still pointing to them (for this domain.)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • LeviLevi Member

Does anyone use polarismail?

@JosephF said:

@yoursunny said:

I had this service years ago but lost my login info. My domain MX record is still pointing to them (for this domain.)

https://domains.live.com/
    It's broken since 2013.

• @yoursunny said:

@JosephF said:

@yoursunny said:

It's broken since 2013.

So your only access is to login to each user (previously setup) through Outlook.com?

@JosephF said:

@yoursunny said:

@JosephF said:

@yoursunny said:

It's broken since 2013.

So your only access is to login to each user (previously setup) through Outlook.com?

Yes, I can only access Hotmail and Office Online.
    Windows Live Messenger is dead too.
    I only have one user, for myself.

• pbxpbx Member

@emgh said: The only thing that might suck for some, but that I find great, is that it’ll all be the same inbox. You can probably map incoming emails to specific folders to that it behaves like a seperated inbox, but you can’t give email to other people, they’ll need your iCloud login and they’ll see all your emails.

I've read somewhere that you could have three accounts per domain, is that true, or do all emails necessarily end up on the same mailbox? Thanks!

• emghemgh Member

@pbx said:

@emgh said: The only thing that might suck for some, but that I find great, is that it’ll all be the same inbox. You can probably map incoming emails to specific folders to that it behaves like a seperated inbox, but you can’t give email to other people, they’ll need your iCloud login and they’ll see all your emails.

I've read somewhere that you could have three accounts per domain, is that true, or do all emails necessarily end up on the same mailbox? Thanks!

I would have said no, as I can’t create seperate inboxes, but I found this:

https://support.apple.com/sv-se/guide/icloud/mmf0ccf838d5/icloud

(I think it redirects language based on region)

It seems that you can invite people to your domain, if they belong to your Family on Apple or subsribe to iCloud+

I imagine that from their view, their main, existing, iCloud inbox will be shared with the one(s) created with this domain

Thanked by 1pbx
  • pbxpbx Member

@emgh said: I imagine that from their view, their main, existing, iCloud inbox will be shared with the one(s) created with this domain

Ok thanks. So it is probably possible to create more than one account only while using separate icloud accounts linked as part of the same family.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@pbx said:

@emgh said: I imagine that from their view, their main, existing, iCloud inbox will be shared with the one(s) created with this domain

Ok thanks. So it is probably possible to create more than one account only while using separate icloud accounts linked as part of the same family.

Could work. You'll probably need an extra phone number, but you should be able to set up an app-specific password: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102654

And if you do so, you should be able to set up SMTP

But it's probably not optimal

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @Levi said:

We used them for a little bit, loved them. Small provider, but amazing support. Only reason we stopped is we went back to GSuite Free, once Google reversed course.

• @corster said:

@Levi said:

We used them for a little bit, loved them. Small provider, but amazing support. Only reason we stopped is we went back to GSuite Free, once Google reversed course.

You transferred your domain out of Google Workspace and later transferred it back in?

• LeviLevi Member

@corster said:

@Levi said:

Hm, I wrote to their support, 3 days pass - zero response.

• @Levi said:

@corster said:

@Levi said:

You're a customer?

• LeviLevi Member

@JosephF said:

@Levi said:

@corster said:

@Levi said:

You're a customer?

No, pre-sales.