Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ihostart again.... 2 of 3 storage nodes TOAST - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ihostart again.... 2 of 3 storage nodes TOAST

Comments

• @Moopah said:
    I feel bad for @Calin :disappointed: , so much trouble after his 18th birthday

He is an adult now, so he can deal with it ;)

On a positive note: There really seems to be hardly anyone complaining. It's kind of like there weren't any aspiring Amozons and Googles on the server.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • We should get a gofundme donation campaign started to crowdfund some new hard drives for him.

Thanked by 1niranjan
  • @Moopah said:
    We should get a gofundme donation campaign started to crowdfund some new hard drives for him.

Or just hope that @crunchbits sent Calin some new HDDs :D

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Me thinks it wasn't good idea to kill all small chicken offers from Calin hatchery.

(hope I used the chicken allegory well)

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Hope the bats are ok.

EDIT:

@totally_not_banned said: here really seems to be hardly anyone complaining.

This is customer love for the provider, and it seems any service has it's followers.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • gbzret4dgbzret4d Member
    edited December 2023

Raid 60 has a advantage compared to raid 6

If you are using refurbished hdds then make sure they are from different charges.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@JabJab said:

@Moopah said:
    We should get a gofundme donation campaign started to crowdfund some new hard drives for him.

@Calin do you want to make the announcement, or should I?

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

• @crunchbits said:

@JabJab said:

@Moopah said:

@Calin do you want to make the announcement, or should I?

Gasp.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • The new server I only had for 1 day was in STOR-2... :(

• @revo23sd said:
    The new server I only had for 1 day was in STOR-2... :(

Why didn't you update your thread yet? We are waiting.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@revo23sd said:

I was planning on doing it today... but i woke up to a dead server with all my hard work setting up swizzin gone

• @revo23sd said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@revo23sd said:

I was planning on doing it today... but i woke up to a dead server with all my hard work setting up swizzin gone

You could at least write a report on that and tell us exactly how you felt at what point. We have been waiting for so long now.

• edited December 2023

@revo23sd said:

That's a good start. Now with a little more feeling. What were your first thoughts when you realized all your hard work was gone due to some dead HDDs? Did it feel bad?

@revo23sd said:

That's a good start. Now with a little more feeling. What were your first thoughts when you realized all your hard work was gone due to some dead HDDs? Did it feel bad?

Glad I didn't lose anything important.

• @revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

That's a bit anti-climatic. Didn't you rage the slightest? Maybe you cried a little (don't worry it's OK)?

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

That's a bit anti-climatic. Didn't you rage the slightest? Maybe you cried a little (don't worry it's OK)?

No

• Activate your disaster recovery plans

Thanked by 2emgh equalz
  • edited December 2023

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

No

I see. So what's your take on having to wait for new disks to arrive (probably again for days or even a week)?

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

No

I see. So what's your take on having to wait for new disks to arrive (probably again for days or even a week)?

Calin says it should be back up by tomorrow

• @PulsedMedia said:
    Yes, one RAID6 is still limited to 2 max failures before data loss BUT you doubled the total redundancy drives.

You also doubled the total number of drives. If you have twice as many drives, then you will have twice as many drive failures.

If you combine two drives into a RAID0 then you double your chance of total data loss. If you combine two RAID6s into a RAID60 then you double your chance of total data loss.

It's amazing how many people are mathematically illiterate.

• edited December 2023

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

@revo23sd said:

No

Calin says it should be back up by tomorrow

He also said that when provisioning the VPS. Aren't you a little worried that might take longer? That would feel bad, right?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • You have been ihostarted

• Smaller RAID 6: good
    Combining the smaller RAIDs into one larger one: no lessons were learnt

• @revo23sd said:

You missed the lower outgoing bandwidth speed in that scene

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2023

storage is tricky AF.

even Google is not spared from data loss.

how can you trust an 18yo with used HDDs to store your data?

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @cybertech said: how can you trust an 18yo with used HDDs to store your data?

For torrents that I can redownload and I seed them only to enlarge my virtual peni I mean ratio? I imagine I could. But I never did, that sounds illegal.

• @JabJab said:

@cybertech said: how can you trust an 18yo with used HDDs to store your data?

For torrents that I can redownload and I seed them only to enlarge my virtual peni I mean ratio? I imagine I could. But I never did, that sounds illegal.

of course it's fine as a seedbox, but if you wanna run Plex off of it then data loss sucks

• @cybertech said:

@JabJab said:

@cybertech said: how can you trust an 18yo with used HDDs to store your data?

of course it's fine as a seedbox, but if you wanna run Plex off of it then data loss sucks

Data loss is part of the fun :smile: