Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Root Server with Avoro or Dedi from Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtual Root Server with Avoro or Dedi from Hetzner?

vitobottavitobotta Member
edited December 2023 in General

Since I need to set up a shop I need something with as much uptime as possible and therefore I am migrating from BeroHost (will be transferring that server to someone else for an awesome price after migrating, since for non critical stuff that server's specs are awesome for the price).

I need to choose between these two options now:

1. Avoro - VPS Root Server XL
  • CPU AMD EPYC 7513, 14 dedicated cores (I guess threads)
  • 64GB of RAM
  • 1TB of NVME storage
  • 10Gbps port
  • Unmetered traffic (I think)
  • prepaid

49 euros per month but I am not sure if VAT is included. @PHP_Friends is it? - Update: it is

1. Hetzner - Dedicated server from auction
  • CPU Intel Core i9-9900K 8 cores/16 threads
  • 64GB of RAM
  • 2x1TB SSD storage
  • 1Gbps port
  • Unmetered traffic
  • monthly billing

46.75e per month Finnish VAT included

Price wise they are similar, but with Hetzner I have 2 more threads and twice as much storage although I don't know if it's NVME or regular SSD. I don't need much traffic overall and the connection speed is fine as long as is decent (at least close to 1Gbps).

Usage: a bunch of apps with the biggest by usage being Nextcloud and Immich, and soon Prestashop. But I have several other apps.

Which option do you recommend? I would appreciate if you can add some info on why I should go with one or the other besides voting. I have experience with Hetzner but not Avoro.

Comments

• remyremy Member
    edited December 2023

In my experience, there's always less risk when nothing is shared.

Of course, you're never safe from hardware failure.
    It hasn't happened to me in years, but I think I've been very lucky.
    So I'd choose hetzner.

• @remy said:
    In my experience, there's always less risk when nothing is shared.

Of course, you're never safe from equipment failure.
    It hasn't happened to me in years, but I think I've been very lucky.
    So I'd choose hetzner.

Seconded with nothing to add.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

I think, realistically, the specs are moreorless the same, and performance at this point shall not differ that much.

Keep in mind though, that with Hetzner, you will want to use a RAID 1 setup, effectively giving 1TB of storage, the same you have with dataforest (probably also through a RAID setup). However, since with Hetzner the full machine is dedicated to you, there is no overhead, which would be the case with the EPYC VM with dataforest.

If you are from Finland, and want to keep things local, maybe it makes sense to hunt for an auction box with Hetzner located in their Tuusula park?

• I hadn't noticed that the other server had a 10Gbps port.
    It can make a difference if you use it.
    If you're limited by your connection or by the connection with other servers you want to connect, then yes, I'd go for the dedicated server.

• Besides, if you're willing to take a risk and need disk space
    https://www.strato.de/server/linux-vserver/

I haven't tested it myself, but I thought about taking one of their offers a few months ago.
    But I don't think you'll reach the uptime of a hetzner dedicated server, at least not over several years.

But it's cheaper depending on your use.

• @RickBakkr said:
    I think, realistically, the specs are moreorless the same, and performance at this point shall not differ that much.

Keep in mind though, that with Hetzner, you will want to use a RAID 1 setup, effectively giving 1TB of storage, the same you have with dataforest (probably also through a RAID setup). However, since with Hetzner the full machine is dedicated to you, there is no overhead, which would be the case with the EPYC VM with dataforest.

DataForest? Is it the parent company of Avoro or what? Also if the cores are dedicated with Avoro, would still there be a difference compared to cores in a dedicated server? I've always been confused by the meaning of "dedicated cores" because it seems to vary from provider to provider...

If you are from Finland, and want to keep things local, maybe it makes sense to hunt for an auction box with Hetzner located in their Tuusula park?

I actually prefer Germany as location because for a couple of apps I also have US users/visitors so latency is better for them. Also my understanding is that Hetzner's routing for the Finnish data centers is weird/not optimal and still goes through Germany or something like that. I can't remember the details I have read here and there.

• @remy said:
    I hadn't noticed that the other server had a 10Gbps port.
    It can make a difference if you use it.
    If you're limited by your connection or by the connection with other servers you want to connect, then yes, I'd go for the dedicated server.

I don't really use anything that would need a high speed connection, maybe just the backups, which are frequent so no much data transferred anyway.

• @remy said:
    Besides, if you're willing to take a risk and need disk space

I haven't tested it myself, but I thought about taking one of their offers a few months ago.
    But I don't think you'll reach the uptime of a hetzner dedicated server, at least not over several years.

I checked Strato after someone mentioned them in another thread and the reviews I found are worrying so not sure if I want to try.

• @remy said:

Strato has been around for very, very long. I used them like back in the dark ages before moving to Hetzner. Solid service - if that's of any relevance like 20 years later. They very much market towards computer illiterate people though so don't expect anything super technical from them.

Thanked by 1remy
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

@vitobotta said: DataForest? Is it the parent company of Avoro or what? Also if the cores are dedicated with Avoro, would still there be a difference compared to cores in a dedicated server? I've always been confused by the meaning of "dedicated cores" because it seems to vary from provider to provider...

My bad, while writing the post I forgot which of the two under the umbrella was the contender, so felt like using the umbrella name ;-). A dedicated core can mean a lot of things, varying from providers. Some actually tie virtualized cores to the physical cores/threads (see: NUMA, CPU pinning), some just allocate an amount of cores equal to the amount present in the system. The only one who can say this for Avoro/PHP-Friends infrastructure, would be them.

@vitobotta said: I actually prefer Germany as location because for a couple of apps I also have US users/visitors so latency is better for them. Also my understanding is that Hetzner's routing for the Finnish data centers is weird/not optimal and still goes through Germany or something like that. I can't remember the details I have read here and there.

My experience is that this has significantly improved since they launched their Finnish location in 2017/2018. Back in the day, my company heavily relied in Hetzner's infrastructure. From the legacy machines that are still around, quite a sizable chunk is located in Finland, and given they added local connectivity, both transits as well as locally attaching to internet exchanges / PNIs, we are observing a better performance latency-wise. For example, from my home connection in The Netherlands, traffic goes over a T1 provider doing Amsterdam-Hamburg-Copenhagen-Stockholm-Helsinki (the 'Nordic route'), without touching Hetzner's backbone in Germany or their C-Lion interconnect (which connects FRA-HEL).

• @vitobotta said:

@remy said:

I checked Strato after someone mentioned them in another thread and the reviews I found are worrying so not sure if I want to try.

I think I'm looking for feedback. That's why I'm pushing you towards them.

I know you like to try new things :p

• @totally_not_banned said:

@remy said:

Strato has been around for very, very long. I used them like back in the dark ages before moving to Hetzner. Solid service - if that's of any relevance like 20 years later. They very much market towards computer illiterate people though so don't expect anything super technical from them.

The price for their 8 cores, 32 GB of RAM, 1 TB of storage is just 18euros per month so it's pretty appetising. Why did you stop using them if they were a good service for you?

@RickBakkr said:

@vitobotta said: DataForest? Is it the parent company of Avoro or what? Also if the cores are dedicated with Avoro, would still there be a difference compared to cores in a dedicated server? I've always been confused by the meaning of "dedicated cores" because it seems to vary from provider to provider...

My bad, while writing the post I forgot which of the two under the umbrella was the contender, so felt like using the umbrella name ;-). A dedicated core can mean a lot of things, varying from providers. Some actually tie virtualized cores to the physical cores/threads (see: NUMA, CPU pinning), some just allocate an amount of cores equal to the amount present in the system. The only one who can say this for Avoro/PHP-Friends infrastructure, would be them.

@vitobotta said: I actually prefer Germany as location because for a couple of apps I also have US users/visitors so latency is better for them. Also my understanding is that Hetzner's routing for the Finnish data centers is weird/not optimal and still goes through Germany or something like that. I can't remember the details I have read here and there.

My experience is that this has significantly improved since they launched their Finnish location in 2017/2018. Back in the day, my company heavily relied in Hetzner's infrastructure. From the legacy machines that are still around, quite a sizable chunk is located in Finland, and given they added local connectivity, both transits as well as locally attaching to internet exchanges / PNIs, we are observing a better performance latency-wise. For example, from my home connection in The Netherlands, traffic goes over a T1 provider doing Amsterdam-Hamburg-Copenhagen-Stockholm-Helsinki (the 'Nordic route'), without touching Hetzner's backbone in Germany or their C-Lion interconnect (which connects FRA-HEL).

What about routing for US users? How can one see what kind of network path e.g. people from the east cost would do to reach Hetzner in Finland? I am not too familiar with this aspect of these services.

• @remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

Thanks, very helpful...

• Maybe it's time to diversify things and some HA setup rather than (again) putting everything in one basket?

• @JabJab said:
    Maybe it's time to diversify things and some HA setup rather than (again) putting everything in one basket?

I probably should but between laziness and a limited budget I'd rather prefer something with a decent uptime. To clarify "decent", some short downtime 2-3 times in a year is fine, but if it's something say every week then it's a problem.

• @vitobotta said:

@remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

Thanks, very helpful...

No offense. It was only in case you wanted to test another provider you haven't used yet.

• @remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

@vitobotta said:

@remy said:

Thanks, very helpful...

No offense. It was only in case you wanted to test another provider you haven't used yet.

In this case I need something decently reliable due to the purpose (mainly the shop), so I can't do much testing

• LowHostingLowHosting Member, Host Rep

If you want, I'm open to creating a custom plan for you @vitobotta

• @LowHosting said:
    If you want, I'm open to creating a custom plan for you @vitobotta

Based in Germany? I haven't seen mentions of your company before. If you can make some offer it would be nice and I would take it into consideration. In the meantime I will search a bit about you :p

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

@vitobotta said:
    with Hetzner I have 2 more threads and twice as much storage although I don't know if it's NVME or regular SSD.

It is NVMe. ;)

• @NetDynamics24 said:

@vitobotta said:

with Hetzner I have 2 more threads and twice as much storage although I don't know if it's NVME or regular SSD.

It is NVMe. ;)

Ok, thanks. It only said "SSD" on the auction page so I wasn't sure.

@LowHosting reviews seem fine. If you can come up with a nice custom plan, I am fine with 8 cores, 24-32 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage. I don't need more than that for this at the moment but if it's easy to expand resources later easily it would be awesome

• I decided I'll go with Hetzner dedicated. Thanks for the input to those who replied :)

• If you want to transfer the server from berohost, you can give it to me. :smile:

• @COLBYLICIOUS said:
    If you want to transfer the server from berohost, you can give it to me. :smile:

Sure, I need to migrate my data so it should be available tomorrow I think if you are not in rush. I'll DM you now so to keep a reference so I don't forget about it.

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • I ordered with Hetzner a slightly different server that I didn't notice yesterday

Intel XEON E-2176G (6 cores, 12 threads, GB6 1562/6330), 64GB, 2x960GB DataCenter NVME, 41e per month. I don't understand how Hetzner can offer dedicated servers cheaper than virtual servers from other providers....

• @vitobotta said:
    I ordered with Hetzner a slightly different server that I didn't notice yesterday

Intel XEON E-2176G (6 cores, 12 threads, GB6 1562/6330), 64GB, 2x960GB DataCenter NVME, 41e per month. I don't understand how Hetzner can offer dedicated servers cheaper than virtual servers from other providers....

volume and volume.

• @vitobotta said:
    I ordered with Hetzner a slightly different server that I didn't notice yesterday

You’re already switching?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/191554/yabs-xeon-e-2176g-dedi-from-hetzner-auction

• Any reason for the 9900K machine? Although you need to pay setup, the EX44 with i5-13500 runs circles around the 9900K, in both ST and MT.

• @emgh said:

@vitobotta said:

You’re already switching?

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/191554/yabs-xeon-e-2176g-dedi-from-hetzner-auction

Yes, I am already migrating because I need to set up a shop and I don't want to risk frequent downtime.

@CyberneticTitan said:
    Any reason for the 9900K machine? Although you need to pay setup, the EX44 with i5-13500 runs circles around the 9900K, in both ST and MT.

I went with one with the xeon-e-2176g since it was a bit cheaper and still good performance. The EX44 you mention is nice but with half the storage and it has a setup fee.

• @vitobotta Yeah, I get that. But I meant from the Hetzner dedi you just bought?