Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[YABS] XEON E-2176G dedi from Hetzner auction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[YABS] XEON E-2176G dedi from Hetzner auction

In case anyone is interested. Specs

* Intel XEON E-2176G  
 * 2x SSD U.2 NVMe 960 GB Datacenter  
 * 2x RAM 32768 MB DDR4 ECC  
 * NIC 1 Gbit Intel I219-LM  

Price 33e/month + VAT.

https://bin.botta.me/tGozsb.txt

Thanked by 2adns hyperblast

Comments

• That's a really good deal

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@qbit15 said:
    That's a really good deal

EX44 is better IMO

There’s the set up fee (dosen’t matter much if you’re long-term)

As well as 6 EUR more expensive (or more if you need more than 2x 500 GB), there’s also cheap HDD’s you can add on

But TWICE the multi core speeds

Generally entry-level server-grade isn’t that attractive to me, but that might be just me

It's not bad though, in the auctions it seems to be one of the better ones definitely

• @emgh said: EX44 is better IMO

Does it have ECC RAM, server CPU and enterprise/server grade disks ?

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@amarc said:

@emgh said: EX44 is better IMO

Nope, but odds of that making a difference with one server is extremely low. Probably makes a difference at scale however. You can add data center disks, though, I believe @jar even moved out of Hetzner because (amongst other things) disks in general were low quality (if I remember correctly)

Again, that matters when you scale. When you operate a single dedicated server, randomness will determine your faith to a much higher degree than ECC RAM, "datacenter disks" and server-grade CPU's, IMO

Thanked by 1tra10000
  • You are very sensitive to uptime. Do you have standby server in case your dedicated server down?

• wonder if hetzner does bgp?

• @emgh said:

@qbit15 said:

EX44 is better IMO

As well as 6 EUR more expensive (or more if you need more than 2x 500 GB), there’s also cheap HDD’s you can add on

Generally entry-level server-grade isn’t that attractive to me, but that might be just me

It's not bad though, in the auctions it seems to be one of the better ones definitely

I could have taken this instead but it was 48/mo and with half the storage, so it would have been more expensive if I added more storage to have a similar config to what I have now in RAID 1.

Is performance with the EX44 really that much better?

@amarc said:

@emgh said: EX44 is better IMO

Yes, that's my understanding from what I read in Hetzner emails and on their website when ordering.

@Arirang said:
    You are very sensitive to uptime. Do you have standby server in case your dedicated server down?

I haven't done it yet but I am planning to do it due to the shop a bit later when I have more time.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

I got it for 30.70 euro two months ago

• @mustafamw3 said:

VAT included or excluded?

@vitobotta said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Excluded

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@andrewnyr said:
    wonder if hetzner does bgp?

It is extremely expensive

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

EX44 is a lot better in terms of performance, but that auction server has ECC memory. If you need the stability and don't care as much about CPU performance or Gen4 NVMe, then go for that auction server. However, EX44 would be an extreme performance improvement. EX44 product page does not specify that it's enterprise NVMe or ECC memory.

Even non-ECC servers can be relatively stable, all depends on your use case.

Thanked by 1emgh

Ex44 is consumer grade hardware while e-2176g is enterprise grade and used to be sold for over 60 euro in the past (px line)

• Have you checked the disk model and usage time with smartctl?

• It is a very tempting result. However price increaased, I saw this config near 30 euro a month ago.

Currently I got a SYS-LE-1 with e3-1230 v6, 32 GB ECC and 2x1.92 TB NVMe. SYS's NVMes are double of this, however the CPU, network and RAM size better at Hetzner.

Hard decision:D a Black Friday limited edition with 250 Mbps upload vs. Hetzner auction server with full Gbps...

• @Advin said: Even non-ECC servers can be relatively stable, all depends on your use case.

Absolutely true, that's why I'm able to type this reply on a non-ECC desktop, it kinda works. :wink:

But, it's also true that when that non-ECC RAM starts dying, and they all die eventually, your applications start to crash, data gets silently corrupted and it takes some time to understand what is wrong (usually it's RAM). ECC memory, through EDAC, starts reporting single bit corrections before data is in trouble (and screams even louder when it is). So, IMHO, ECC is very preferable feature and very well worth slightly increased price.

This situation that there's so much non-ECC machines around we have to "thank" Intel, who stubbornly refused to add ECC support to their desktop line of CPUs for decades. Now really, big thanks to AMD for fixing that sillyness. I refuse to buy anything Intel from now on to punish them.

Now, speaking of AMD & Hetzner auction, IMHO one of the best picks is AMD Ryzen 3900 (12 core) - very efficient CPU + 128 GB ECC RAM + 2 x 1.92 TB enterprise NVMe. If you pick carefully and/or have some luck, you end up with 1 year old machine, with plenty of Gen4 NVMe, all for about 50€ + VAT. Beside being 2 times more powerful than that E-2176G (and price is not 2x) it is also much younger. Those Xeons are now 4-5 years old, even if you're unlucky with Ryzen, it should not be older than 2.5-3 years.

• @mustafamw3 said:

@vitobotta said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Excluded

No much difference then

@Advin said:
    EX44 is a lot better in terms of performance, but that auction server has ECC memory. If you need the stability and don't care as much about CPU performance or Gen4 NVMe, then go for that auction server. However, EX44 would be an extreme performance improvement. EX44 product page does not specify that it's enterprise NVMe or ECC memory.

Even non-ECC servers can be relatively stable, all depends on your use case.

It's for several apps and the most important one is a Prestashop install. Do you think it's better to stick with enterprise hardware in this case or switch for the performance gains?

@vitobotta said: It's for several apps and the most important one is a Prestashop install. Do you think it's better to stick with enterprise hardware in this case or switch for the performance gains?

The question is do you really need the extra performance ? 20 threads is overkill and I don't think you will ever need that extra cores
    if I was you I would stick to Intel XEON E-2176G server , it's cheaper , more nvme disk and enterprise grade

• Hetzner deleted their news archive, which is not nice of them (as if they have something to hide?).

Still, with a little help of archive.org.

PX62-NVMe - announced 18. March 2019
    https://web.archive.org/web/20201028062147/https://www.hetzner.com/news/03-19-px62/

So, oldest ones almost 5 years old.

AX61-NVMe - announced 20. April 2020
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210508080354/https://www.hetzner.com/news/04-20-ax61-nvme/

Seems approaching 4 years, so only a year younger. Still, I have not seen any older than 3 years, meaning many of them were shut off for prolonged time waiting to be sold, or brought to market later, or similar...

• @mustafamw3 said:

@vitobotta said: It's for several apps and the most important one is a Prestashop install. Do you think it's better to stick with enterprise hardware in this case or switch for the performance gains?

The question is do you really need the extra performance ? 20 threads is overkill and I don't think you will ever need that extra cores
    if I was you I would stick to Intel XEON E-2176G server , it's cheaper , more nvme disk and enterprise grade

My question mark is how Prestashop will perform once I have set it up and have switched from Shopify, since on Shopify it's a busy store. So I have no idea to be honest.

@vitobotta said:

@mustafamw3 said:

My question mark is how Prestashop will perform once I have set it up and have switched from Shopify, since on Shopify it's a busy store. So I have no idea to be honest.

Prestashop will perform just fine, the xeon is pretty powerful cpu coupled with nvme disk and 64gb ram, I doubt the ex44 will make a difference since Prestashop is php application, and php applications usually don't benefit from multicore, php often requires high cpu clock speed rather than high core counts
    Unless you are running multiple websites in single sever, you don't need the extra cores

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@mustafamw3 said:

@vitobotta said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Prestashop will perform just fine, the xeon is pretty powerful cpu coupled with nvme disk and 64gb ram, I doubt the ex44 will make a difference since Prestashop is php application, and php applications usually don't benefit from multicore, php often requires high cpu clock speed rather than high core counts
    Unless you are running multiple websites in single sever, you don't need the extra cores

Each php process is single threaded, however the more cores you have, more bandwidth (simultaneous requests) you will be able to process

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @mustafamw3 said:

@vitobotta said:

@mustafamw3 said:

Besides Prestashop the most used app is my blogging app, then Nextcloud and Immich with 5-6 users and several other smaller apps. Prestashop will be by far the most active of all.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • The real question is how much storage you need. EX44 quickly gets expensive when you add disks. Only worth it IMO if you don't need to add disks.

• @maverick said: Now, speaking of AMD & Hetzner auction, IMHO one of the best picks is AMD Ryzen 3900 (12 core) - very efficient CPU + 128 GB ECC RAM + 2 x 1.92 TB enterprise NVMe

I got this exact server from their Server Auction range, and I agree totally with your submission. Almost too good to be true for that price point

Thanked by 1maverick
  • @emgh said:
    The real question is how much storage you need. EX44 quickly gets expensive when you add disks. Only worth it IMO if you don't need to add disks.

Yeah I would need to add more storage if I want to keep a RAID1 configuration because I’m already using over 600GB

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Sululu said:

@maverick said: Now, speaking of AMD & Hetzner auction, IMHO one of the best picks is AMD Ryzen 3900 (12 core) - very efficient CPU + 128 GB ECC RAM + 2 x 1.92 TB enterprise NVMe

I got this exact server from their Server Auction range, and I agree totally with your submission. Almost too good to be true for that price point

Yeah, I contemplated a lot myself, how is such powerful server so affordable, but I think there are several good reasons. The most important reason probably being that specific CPU model has a very modest 65W TDP, but is nevertheless very powerful. That is where they save on energy cost and pass savings to us customers, so win - win. B)

• @emgh said:

@qbit15 said:

EX44 is better IMO

only yabs can prove your statements. please deliver yabs!

• @hyperblast said:

@emgh said:

@qbit15 said:

EX44 is better IMO

only yabs can prove your statements. please deliver yabs!

no