Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider tag fee increase
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider tag fee increase

LeviLevi Member
edited December 2023 in General

I suggest to increase provider tag fee.

Justification:

• Business has money to spend;
  • Further deterioration of children summer projects;
  • More responsibility for actions (loosing tag is more significant damage);
  • Now it is easy to recoup 200$ just with one offer thread. Example: repuc. He scammed in thousands;
  • Forum owner will have dollars to pay for admins investigative work on new providers;
  • Forum will look more attractive for larger business. Now it is skid cest pit with all home made and basement hosts. Bigger business want to spend money;
  • Inflation.
Fees
  1. New yearly fee for provider tag?239 votes
    1. Leave it 200$
      35.15%
    2. 400$
        4.60%
    3. 600$
        2.93%
    4. 800$
        2.09%
    5. 1000$
      30.96%
    6. Debian, thanks!
      24.27%
  2. Would you be interested in scam insurance?239 votes
    1. No. Impossible to implement.
      44.35%
    2. Yes, for 7$/year.
      26.36%
    3. Scam, thanks!
      29.29%

Comments

• This forum sucks ass, and your solution to solving it is pumping more money in to it?
    No thanks

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Mustafa said:
    This forum sucks ass, and your solution to solving it is pumping more money in to it?
    No thanks

How would you improve it?

• You posted in the wrong section you mofo.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • @Mustafa said:
    This forum sucks ass, and your solution to solving it is pumping more money in to it?
    No thanks

It suck ass due to low quality offers. Increased fee would drive away those bottom feeders. We, as a users, would start seeing bigger companies with their offers. Bigger companies can offer better deals if they want due to economy of quantity. Small, insect type hosts - no.

• @MrRadic said:

@Mustafa said:
    No thanks

How would you improve it?

Countless issues were brought to lights in the past week, most of which are still unaddressed, such as banning members who speak on Dustin criminal verdict from court. This is what more money does.

• So small businesses who already run on super small margins will just not be able to advertise? The community should do more research before buying from random people.

• @kait said:
    So small businesses who already run on super small margins will just not be able to advertise? The community should do more research before buying from random people.

There is ad banners (which I never saw, due to adblock).

Thanked by 1shruub
  • I personally love the system on XSS.is. Users can deposit funds as "insurance," which is provided by the admins to users in the event of an exit scam. These deposited funds instill a higher level of trust in the user among those who purchase from them.

Thanked by 2Mustafa dahartigan
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

@LeroyJ your idea is based on false assumption that legit providers will get lots of business just by spending $200 on provider tag, there are lots other expenses to run actual business or even before making actual offer here. However, no matter what you do, you can't stop scammers. They are always scammers those will find ways to scam, at most @jbiloh can do is offer paid tag to people who are here from last couple of years and are active. That way some random guy can't just post offer and scam people.

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

@LeroyJ said:
    There is ad banners (which I never saw, due to adblock).

Side banners that nobody can see seem like a good alternative for self-promotion; thanks for the rational suggestion. OMG can 't believe I'm really trying to explain something, please nobody answer me, I aint gonna read anyway.

• BLAH BLAH BLAH CANT HEAR YOU.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@LeroyJ said: Forum will look more attractive for larger business. Now it is skid cest pit with all home made and basement hosts. Bigger business want to spend money;

So basically, that will end LET as it is, ant turn it into amazon like, just as a forum.

Is all this because of 3-4-5 examples that gone wrong here? because if that is the case, there are more legit providers on LET that the scam/no so good ones.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • edited December 2023

@LeroyJ said:

@Mustafa said:
    No thanks

It suck ass due to low quality offers. Increased fee would drive away those bottom feeders. We, as a users, would start seeing bigger companies with their offers. Bigger companies can offer better deals if they want due to economy of quantity. Small, insect type hosts - no.

Low quality offers are pretty easy to weed out if one is doing even a minimal amount of due diligence before placing an order. I don't see a problem with cave hosting if my use case matches the criteria. Actually i find having the option pretty much a good thing. It's not my problem if some guy orders a @repuc VPS and expects brilliant service. Also it's exactly these kind of scam offers that will be the first to shell out just about any fee regardless what the exact amount is as it's recouped rather easily. Actual content beyond advertisements on the other hand can not simply added by imagination.

Of course it would be good if there would be some real repercussions if a given host turns out to have some serious problems but that's kind of besides the point.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @totally_not_banned said: Also it's exactly these kind of scam offers that will be the first to shell out the fee.

Yea, if you think $1000 will keep scammers away, think again.

• @eezcloud said:

@totally_not_banned said: Also it's exactly these kind of scam offers that will be the first to shell out the fee.

Yea, if you think $1000 will keep scammers away, think again.

It sure wouldn't keep away these 23 mysterious exit-scam hosts....

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2023

We lost 60% of the Hosts initially when this fee was added.
    Now you want to increase it? wat

@eezcloud said: Yea, if you think $1000 will keep scammers away, think again.

imagine this, paying 1000$ to do a 20.000$ scam, and you have the option of selling for 50$ from start, well, who is in?

If you imagine that any provider will pay 1000$ to sell at sub 7$ for the first 12 mo, that is like hitting the jackpot, drunk, at 4am, on a poker game, and you actually do not know how to play poker.

paying a 200$ to might sell something at low margin, that is feasible.

@MannDude had a good idea, and also others shared some good ideas, why not go that way?

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Before voting, what is the system of scam insurance? Sound interesting

Regards

• Ok, probably I should examplarize this with usual scam scenario:

1. Create XYZ LTD.
    2. Rent: 2x servers, WHMCS license, IPXO /24;
    3. Buy provider tag at LET;
    4. Launch 2c/2g/40gb/1gbps @ 15/y;
    5. Massive surge of orders. Lurkers, new users, MJJ's. All who has 0 knowledge of indicators of exit scam;
    6. Pump up those servers. Balloon memory, CPU sharing all over the place;
    7. After few days complaints start arising. Reply with apology;
    8. Week or two passes. Orders still going in strong. Communication from scammer is normal. He replies;
    9. Complaints pass treshold (some, more active users begin to tag JB, admins), cry intensifies. Scammer stops responding in forum, deletes tickets;
    10. Few more days of speculation in forum. Scammer dumps money to his bank account prior to surge of chargebacks;
    11. Scam identified as services in #2 not extended and shutdown.

This is very rough schematic of exit scam. With increased fee such schema entry fee also would go up and period which required for recouping investment is prolonged as well.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@host_c said:

@LeroyJ said: Forum will look more attractive for larger business. Now it is skid cest pit with all home made and basement hosts. Bigger business want to spend money;

So basically, that will end LET as it is, ant turn it into amazon like, just as a forum.

Is all this because of 3-4-5 examples that gone wrong here? because if that is the case, there are more legit providers on LET that the scam/no so good ones.

Recently we revoked 4 provider tags because the hosting companies had elements/characteristics that appeared to fall below our standards. These providers got through the initial review process and were granted permission to signup for a provider tag. That shows that we need make some common sense improvements to the initial review process to try and reduce the potential for recurrences. Of course there will never be 100 perfection during an initial review process but we will strive for constant improvement. It also shows that there is no need to tear it all down and start over because generally speaking the review process has been successful.

That said, no matter how good our initial review is that does not mean hosts might or might not later fail. That's normal in the course of business in all industries, including this one.

In percentage terms to show some context, the 4 tags recently revoked represent 1.6 percent of the provider tag base.

• @Calin said:
    Before voting, what is the system of scam insurance? Sound interesting

Regards

Take a look at cracking, hacking and blackhat forum of xss.is. Deposit is good example of insurance. Thought, for LET to become a insurance company/bank is not an option :)

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@host_c said:

@eezcloud said: Yea, if you think $1000 will keep scammers away, think again.

imagine this, paying 1000$ to do a 20.000$ scam, and you have the option of selling for 50$ from start, well, who is in?

If you imagine that any provider will pay 1000$ to sell at sub 7$ for the first 12 mo, that is like hitting the jackpot, drunk, at 4am, on a poker game, and you actually do not know how to play poker.

paying a 200$ to might sell something at low margin, that is feasible.

@MannDude had a good idea, and also others shared some good ideas, why not go that way?

The idea from the other thread where this is already being discussed:

@MannDude said:
    Doesn't need to be overly complicated.

• Offer threads should just be set to sink after X amount of time. 24-72 hours seems reasonable. Don't let commercial threads overtake general conversation. (If someone wants to discuss a provider, they can open their own thread)

• No sticky threads, there is already too many of them.

• Providers: Just post an offer every 10 days if you want to have it be seen again.

Also, BAN:

• Pre-order offers. How many consumers have been burned by this? Surprised it was allowed here. If the provider needs to use LET to raise money to buy the hardware for a new node to delivery some generic VPS plan, then they shouldn't be in business anyway.

• Providers who are ran by literal children. Nothing against Calin, but the dude just turned 18 and opened a thread about it to celebrate. Who else thought he was older already? This includes the UK businesses ran by 16 year olds, etc. Just because someone 'can' open a business at that age doesn't mean they're fit to.

I thought when the provider tag implementation was being discussed, there was going to be a provider directory made with things like:

• Provider legal business name
    • Verified business ownership / paperwork / etc: Y/N
    • Name of owner
    • Time in business / registration date.
    • ASN info.
    • Link to website
    • Short description

Of course, the above would be for Patron Providers who are already verified to not be some 16yo kid, running a legit business, etc.

Also, increase the pricing limit from $7 to $10 or something for VPS offers. All the limit does is encourage unsustainable offers more frequently, which in turn attracts the worst type of customers. Nothing will prevent others for doing unsustainable plans if they choose to do so, but it shouldn't be the default requirement.

For scams, not much you can do to really weed it out. Sure, you can increase the cost of posting an offer which will work to a degree. But users need to be smart enough to not pay $12 for a year of 8GB RAM 4 vCPU 100GB NVMe Unlimited bandwidth or whatever from some company with a nulled WHMCS, lorem ipsum on their website after being in business for two weeks, even moreso if they're from a country where there is literally no (reasonable) recourse for you once scammed.

edited December 2023

@LeroyJ

OK, bring the pitchforks on me, by what you wrote above, it is a customer problem, that he believes unicorns still exist, not a provider issue.

If the customer cannot smell that "too cheap" is fishy from a new provider, that is not an entry tax/vet problem. Scammers will go where there is a potential market. Did you saw a fake Cartier store in a decent mall in a big city?

I do not mean to be disrespectful to forum members, but guys, if it stinks a mile away, it will stink when you pick it up.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@sillycat said:
    I personally love the system on XSS.is. Users can deposit funds as "insurance," which is provided by the admins to users in the event of an exit scam. These deposited funds instill a higher level of trust in the user among those who purchase from them.

Its all good until one day the admins will runaway >.<

Thanked by 2sillycat ViridWeb
  • MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023

@BlaZe said:

@sillycat said:
    I personally love the system on XSS.is. Users can deposit funds as "insurance," which is provided by the admins to users in the event of an exit scam. These deposited funds instill a higher level of trust in the user among those who purchase from them.

Going strong for over a decade now, quite literally operated by FSB now, small chance for running away.
    Before you had to be "interviewed" on Jabber to register, now they are completely closed last time I checked.

Exploit.in does it in even different way, either pay to register($100 from what I remember) or prove yourself on other affiliated forums. They also have "Escrow" like xss.is

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • sillycatsillycat Member
    edited December 2023

@BlaZe said:

@sillycat said:

You're right. However, until that happens, the system works pretty well.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/darkside-ransomware-makers-accused-of-skipping-town-without-paying-affiliates/

Thanked by 1Mustafa
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2023

A fee increase might solve the problem in our minds.

However, let's not forget that even some of the most appreciated providers (like NexusBytes for example) have failed and made an exit scam. Some of the most popular providers with sales also failed (like HostSolutions who failed with a RAID crash during a market affected by Chia cryptocurrency).

An increase in fee simply provides a bit more peace of mind, but that's about it. In the end, it doesn't even matter.

@default said: RAID crash during a market affected by Chia cryptocurrency

It is called, invloctation ( hope I got it right :D )

Nothing against those who try to scam, i hate them, but they are here from the beginning of time. Some measures will filter a few/most out, that is a fact, at the same time, the customer has to do a little research and not believe everything he sees.

"Trust no one" at least until he proves he's shit :D