Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you say to a provider who asks the password? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you say to a provider who asks the password?

1235»

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:
    So you're just putting yourself cause number 1 instead of 4.

Thank you for your feedback.

• Contabo asked for the root password on a VPS to debug a routing issue, after having received MTR showing that the problem happened between the edge of their network and 2 hops before reaching the VPS.

To me that indicated an unwillingness to read the information I provided, which is why I canceled the VPS in question and plan not to do business with them ever again.

Thanked by 3yoursunny gbzret4d emgh
  • @vitobotta said:

@DeadlyChemist said:
    no, fuck you
    proceed to terminate the service and ask for refund

Yeah that's what I thought. I haven't been asked this for many years and I have used many providers. The problem is that I paid for a year recently. I could try to ask a refund if they don't solve the problem.

It's normal for virmach for example to ask for a password. They write something like "without a password, we can't help you that well..."
    A good provider asks if he can shut down the server and boot from their CD/ISO to run some tests.
    For checking the hardware they don't need your password and if you haven't rent a managed server they are not responsible for the installed software.