Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you say to a provider who asks the password? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you say to a provider who asks the password?

Comments

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:
    For Support to ask for a password, it can be:
    1. The customer is an idiot
    2. The customer isn't providing useful troubleshooting information
    3. The customer is suspicious AF
    4. They don't see any problem on their end, suspect the issue is PEBKAC

Can you read the first message (at the bottom) of my ticket and classify me into one of these cases?

I skipped over all that, but probably number 4. You make things more complicated and totally annoying AF. While it is helpful to show the commands to reproduce, it's better to show actual output to show what took effect. You could have typo'd your initial steps resulting in a different result than you thought or that you're telling them to do, causing the issue.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:
    Did they message you back with an invoice for managed service? I'd refund you for being a needy customer. Telling them your OS can't login with a password is a big red flag. You know they have a console, right?

😡
    My amd64 computer lives in the basement closet and is accessed via SSH only.
    HDMI port and VGA monitor cannot mix.

My servers are setup the same way.
    No passwords, just SSH keys.
    VNC disabled.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:
    While it is helpful to show the commands to reproduce, it's better to show actual output to show what took effect.

Good idea.
    Agreed.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • As a counterpoint to all this, I was once with a provider where we had either found a bug in KVM or in the guest Linux kernel (my guest was actually affecting the host negatively even when it looked idle by every metric). They wanted to poke at some sysctls and see if their observations changed.

They offered to give me their SSH key and a list of commands to add to a sudoers file; I could drive on via commands given on a text chat while we discussed on voice chat and they watched their end; or I could screen share and the previous chats (which we ended up doing since it was the most informative all around).

They had a legitimate interest in solving the problem (it was a kvm misconfiguration that somehow I managed to tickle yay), but they wanted the minimum required privileges.

Of course, they may have just asked me to put their key into root's authorized_keys (wouldn't do any good with PermitRootLogin no anyhow) if they didn't know already that I was clueful. Or even asked for the root password. And, you know what, it would have been justified to ask as a troubleshooting measure, as I was inadvertently not using only my fair share and that needed to be corrected or else they would have been in the right to terminate me under the ToS/AUP.

I realize that this is a very unusual case that is unlikely to happen to most (or hopefully even me again!). But it's worth a demonstration to help us remember that things are rarely black and white. And starting a thread the way this one was basically forces a binary world view that isn't fair to either the providers involved (especially named up front, without any supporting details) or the other members of LET.

This isn't the first thread like this over the years, and I'm (sadly) certain that it won't be the last... But we can at least all try to remember that most people aren't out to get everyone else. Most of us are in it for the hobby of it, providers and users alike. There's not all that much difference between the two sides, quite often. :)

And if you think someone's acting maliciously, provide evidence. Otherwise we end up with pages of thread that just waste our collective time and we don't get to do cool things with low end services. :sunglasses:

Thanked by 1nikozin
  • @TimboJones said:

@yoursunny said:
    It happened to me when interacting with @NDTN support.
    I informed them that my OS does not have a password, but only uses SSH keys.
    I write complete steps to reproduce the problem in the rescue environment, and give them permission to reboot into rescue to type these commands and then check the problem.

Additionally, I give them permission to take a snapshot of my main system, reinstall with their template, check on the problem, and restore the snapshot.
    If the service comes without a snapshot slot, I expect the provider to temporarily offer a snapshot slot so that their personnel can check on network issues.

Did they message you back with an invoice for managed service? I'd refund you for being a needy customer. Telling them your OS can't login with a password is a big red flag. You know they have a console, right?

I generally have PermitRootLogin set to no in my sshd_config, only allow public key auth for the normal user accounts, and have root's password disabled outright.

But then, I've been doing this for many years and know it's a good way to keep out interlopers from across the internet.

Sure, you can always boot from a live CD to set a password (or a few other ways), but that's not the same at all as just having someone give you a (nonexistent) login.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2023

@TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:
    Asking password for unmanaged server is direct and very serious insult to the customer. Like slap to the face with 16-inch penis.

It indicates unprofessional and childish behavior. It is the same as if I asked my wife what's her weight or she said the true about my penis.

Business relationship should be cancelled asap.

wtf are you talking about? Have you ever done Tech Support before? How much of a drama queen are you? You sound like a nightmare customer.

In most cases, customers are happy (and pay extra) for Support to take over and fix shit ASAP instead of going back and forth pulling teeth.

Edit: scrolling further it sounds like the agent didn't believe he checked the logs well enough and wanted to check himself. In those cases, you need to say what the logs indicated to show you've looked at them. I can definitely tell when someone is lying to me (over the phone) about having checked logs when they haven't. I'm sure they can tell through text with experience, too.

Lets establish few variable here:

• Provider is normal company with 50+ staff members, not a one man shit show;
    • Provider offers kvm unmanaged vps;

Simulate situation:

Customer contacting provider and asking to fix XYZ problem. He shows all evidence that something is wrong on provider side. Usually customer initially engagea L1 support agent. If L1 deems evidence enough to bother L2 agents, be pass ticket to them. L2 has access to node. Support contacts customer by asking if server could be taken down to recreate the cause of issue.

Usually answer is "yes". Now L2 stops server, mounts image and access server data.

That's it. And such instances are very rare as services is self-managed.

Asking password from customer indicates one or more of these points:

• Your access level is insuficient or you skipping L2 and thinking that you know more;
    • You are outsourced support and have no access to the node.
    • Your are not smart and overdoing by providing management service for unmanaged vps;
    • Your competence is questionable.
    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Let me chime in on this.

Although we offer a completely unmanaged service, we focus on the network and the host node. Everything else falls within the customer's scope.

At times, some customers might be installing scripts that modify some OS files and that could result in a plethora of things, like breaking the networking, or ssh, etc.

The amount of useful information in a ticket varies, but it's mostly "my server is down, fix it"...

Now, if all the other servers are fine, and working as expected, then my first assumption would be that it is an issue from within the VPS itself. The only way to investigate, although not really part of our support plan, is to access the VPS and troubleshoot this for the customer.

If the customer accepts, we provide two options, either we reset the password and use a temporary one, or ask the customer to install support pubkey.

After sorting it out, they can either reset the password, or remove the pubkey.

There's really no one-size-fits-all answer unfortunately.

• @rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

Although we offer a completely unmanaged service, we focus on the network and the host node. Everything else falls within the customer's scope.

At times, some customers might be installing scripts that modify some OS files and that could result in a plethora of things, like breaking the networking, or ssh, etc.

The amount of useful information in a ticket varies, but it's mostly "my server is down, fix it"...

Now, if all the other servers are fine, and working as expected, then my first assumption would be that it is an issue from within the VPS itself. The only way to investigate, although not really part of our support plan, is to access the VPS and troubleshoot this for the customer.

If the customer accepts, we provide two options, either we reset the password and use a temporary one, or ask the customer to install support pubkey.

Why do you provide management for unmanaged service? Do customer pays extra for this?

• He said that he offers a completely unmanaged service, but obviously tries to be user-friendly and helpful wherever he could - and you know that.
    If that's his business approach, there's no need to question that.

Thanked by 3rsk TimboJones Plioser
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:

@rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

Why do you provide management for unmanaged service? Do customer pays extra for this?

I'm just too nice! :)

• @Mumbly said:
    He said that he offers a completely unmanaged service, but obviously tries to be user-friendly and helpful wherever he could - and you know that.
    If that's his business approach, there's no need to question that.

Anyone can question anything, after all, this is public forum.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

This is how I'd probably do things as well in a unique situation where everything else failed like trying to login from the host node without access etc. I would likely reset the password instead of asking for one and only if that failed then ask them to give me a temp password for access. I would also tell them that I am making an unusual request out of my normal operating procedures - whether this suffices for LET though I am getting the impression it wouldn't. So in my books, I'd say your view of the customer is A plus here.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

@risharde said:

@rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

This is how I'd probably do things as well in a unique situation where everything else failed like trying to login from the host node without access etc. I would likely reset the password instead of asking for one and only if that failed then ask them to give me a temp password for access. I would also tell them that I am making an unusual request out of my normal operating procedures - whether this suffices for LET though I am getting the impression it wouldn't. So in my books, I'd say your view of the customer is A plus here.

All these methods are exactly on spot, and to reply the initial question,

Prior installing SSH-keys, temporally changing the password to access the vps, we always ask the permission of the customer to do this, not only us, as I seen on the answers here, all providers do, in most cases the quickest way to debug a situation like this is to access the VPS and try to figure out what is wrong.

If the customer agrees we proceed, if he denies, then we go to plan B, with an extremely long ticket solving, that can take actuality days, rather then minutes to ours.

In most cases we do a full backup of the VPS not to fuck up. :) by the way, and I am sure most do the same.

In my opinion, a hosting company does not have time to search throu a vps/dedi of a customer, that is waste of time and resources.

Highly doubt any respectful provider would log in to your VPS/DEDI if he knows the password. I just do not see the "why", not to mention that this is a violation of privacy. The second he would do this he would be done for the rest of he's life.

@vitobotta

You should learn to trust your provider, if you do not, pick another one you do. But in this case your provided just wanted to help you out faster, you have the right to say no to a question like that, and figure out a debug solution with them.

Ask for an ISO , install and encrypt your installation of OS if you wish to feel safer for your data.

And now a little off topic, but this to pint out that your last problem is if the provider knows your password:

Most of you have Social Media, Pictures on Google, Facebook, Tiktok and others.

All those us sophisticated math equations ( AI ) so they actually know more about your behavior than you do, and all this to feed you the relevant commercials that others pay so they can make the profit, and keep you engaged.

You really think that your pictures in the BIG CLOUD providers are not scanned for Facial-Recognition, Geo-Location and so on, c'mon mann.

5 years ago, "deep learning", 5 minute video, but you will get my point at by minute 1

Intel Skylake Xeon VS Nvidia Tesla V100

I know, the conspiracy theory is HIGH there :smiley:

Thanked by 1risharde
  • boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep

@vitobotta said:
    It happened to me now with @greencoludvps. My VPS has been shut down 3 times since last night and there is no sign that this is triggered from inside the server, also because there is very little on the server.

Is it normal to ask for the password? IMO they should never do that. I am not comfortable doing it because there's personal data on it and I can check things myself in the guest os. What is your reaction to these requests?

I have thought long and hard about it, not once but multiple times.
    Though I would never want to do that, thing is any provider can login into any VPS (KVM or VZ) anytime doesn't matter what kind of encryption you put on them.

Linux systems were never built to be protected against physical access.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2023

Sometimes we also ask for passwords and/or for our SSH key to be added to a clients system so that we can diagnose a particular problem with our clients applications/OS, and usually our clients allow access. It helps drastically to speed up the diagnosis process. Obviously, we don’t force it on anyone, and we totally understand why some of our customers are probably not comfortable with the idea of giving a support representative access to their server. We find that most of our customers prefer it because they don’t have anything sensitive, they trust us, or they’re inexperienced and just want the problem fixed with as little hassle as possible. It’s rare that we ask for access, usually it happens when there is a misconfiguration on the operating system that we have to diagnose and/or fix.

However, also keep in mind, if a provider really cared about your data, it would be easy to access it from a VPS provider perspective. Cloudinit and QEMU Guest Agent are typically preinstalled on almost all VPS hosts as that’s what allows the control panel to communicate to the VPS to change network settings, configure passwords, users, etc (aka some of the control panel functions). A provider could also take a backup of your instance or boot it into rescue system to change the password or look at your files (this also applies to dedicated servers, although it would be way less discrete). The only way around these would be to install from ISO and run full disk encryption, but that’s also not foolproof (although, it does make it harder).

Thanked by 2host_c risharde
  • Guys, are we still talking about self-managed services or fully managed vps?

@LTniger said: Guys, are we still talking about self-managed services or fully managed vps?

For us, both, we provide support.

• One of the famous storage provider here once sniffed my stuff. Once in a while I run an expensive extract and diff. And one of the nosy admin got curious. Logged in, stopped my script, nano script.sh, re-run the script, removed traces and left. Always use full encryption if it's important but others have already mentioned encryption keys can be extracted from RAM. And I have seen big cloud providers have forensic tools to do this on scale.

edited November 2023

Interesting, never thought of this, anyone alse?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2023

@Boogeyman said:
    One of the famous storage provider here once sniffed my stuff. Once in a while I run an expensive extract and diff. And one of the nosy admin got curious. Logged in, stopped my script, nano script.sh, re-run the script, removed traces and left. Always use full encryption if it's important but others have already mentioned encryption keys can be extracted from RAM. And I have seen big cloud providers have forensic tools to do this on scale.

Name and shame that scum. You should seek therapy in groups for such brutal act.

• @rsk said:

@LTniger said:

@rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

and some of us silly customers greatly appreciate the service, support and care that such providers give!!

edited November 2023

@sycot said:

@rsk said:

@LTniger said:

@rsk said:
    Let me chime in on this.

and some of us silly customers greatly appreciate the service, support and care that such providers give!!

It is not about a customer being silly :smiley:

On the lung run, you will have a lower overhead of work, if you help out the customer. Most Providers that do this, rather help and step in, then let the "bastard" struggle and post shit on a forum for not being able to fix the issue himself, because he lacks the knowledge. please do not take the "bastard" as an insult, it was a figure of speech. :)

• sycotsycot Member
    edited November 2023

it seems to me that providers span a wide range of practices and standards and that if you, as a customer, are not happy with how your provider operates then find a different provider. simple as that.

and honestly, to complain you paid for 3 years of service, with no option for refund, and you're not happy with how the provider operates...that's on you 100%.

@host_c said:

but sometimes we are very silly :D

@sycot said:
    it seems to me that providers span a wide range of practices and standards and that if you, as a customer, are not happy with how your provider operates then find a different provider. simple as that.

and honestly, to complain you paid for 3 years of service, with no option for refund, and you're not happy with how the provider operates...that's on you 100%.

@host_c said:

but sometimes we are very silly :D

Sometimes, but this comes with the job o:)

• @totally_not_banned said: Disk encryption will still not really save you from a nosy admin but at least they'll have to put in way more effort/knowledge.

If qemu guest agent is installed, they can run any command they want, disk encryption or not.

• edited November 2023

@eezcloud said:

@totally_not_banned said: Disk encryption will still not really save you from a nosy admin but at least they'll have to put in way more effort/knowledge.

If qemu guest agent is installed, they can run any command they want, disk encryption or not.

Why would i install that agent though? I am not using any provider supplied templates. Usually they don't even have any templates for the OS i want to use ;)

When there is no custom ISO option there's always dd if=os.raw of=/dev/stdout bs=1M | ssh root@rescue-system-ip -c 'dd if=/dev/stdin of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M' (os.raw is obviously a locally prepared installation of your target OS but it's also very handy if you need to move your system to another VM/dedi). If you wanted to get fancy you could also do dd if=os.raw of=/dev/stdout bs=1M | gzip -9 | ssh root@rescue-system-ip -c 'gunzip | dd if=/dev/stdin of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M'. I am not sure it's a lot of gain over ssh default compression though.

Qemu on the rescue system is also an option but obviously only works if the system supports virtualization and gets tricky quite quickly if there isn't enough RAM. If there is no rescue system installing something and moving replacing the filesystem root with a tmpfs. After that it's dd over ssh again just as if it were a rescue system. There is pretty much never a reason to use provider supplied templates. At least on KVM/dedi.

• @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

😡
    My amd64 computer lives in the basement closet and is accessed via SSH only.
    HDMI port and VGA monitor cannot mix.

My servers are setup the same way.
    No passwords, just SSH keys.
    VNC disabled.

So why the fuck are you annoying them about headless PC's in your basement? Or are you doubling down on being complicated and annoying AF?

And again, the hypervisor doesn't have HDMI or VGA and still have a console. So you're just putting yourself cause number 1 instead of 4.

edited November 2023

B)

• @LTniger said:

@TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:
    Asking password for unmanaged server is direct and very serious insult to the customer. Like slap to the face with 16-inch penis.

It indicates unprofessional and childish behavior. It is the same as if I asked my wife what's her weight or she said the true about my penis.

wtf are you talking about? Have you ever done Tech Support before? How much of a drama queen are you? You sound like a nightmare customer.

In most cases, customers are happy (and pay extra) for Support to take over and fix shit ASAP instead of going back and forth pulling teeth.

Edit: scrolling further it sounds like the agent didn't believe he checked the logs well enough and wanted to check himself. In those cases, you need to say what the logs indicated to show you've looked at them. I can definitely tell when someone is lying to me (over the phone) about having checked logs when they haven't. I'm sure they can tell through text with experience, too.

Simulate situation:

Customer contacting provider and asking to fix XYZ problem. He shows all evidence that something is wrong on provider side. Usually customer initially engagea L1 support agent. If L1 deems evidence enough to bother L2 agents, be pass ticket to them. L2 has access to node. Support contacts customer by asking if server could be taken down to recreate the cause of issue.

Usually answer is "yes". Now L2 stops server, mounts image and access server data.

• Your access level is insuficient or you skipping L2 and thinking that you know more;
    • Your are not smart and overdoing by providing management service for unmanaged vps;

You have very little understanding of support. I don't know why you think you do. You're just naive and/or basic.

• @TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:

@TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:

Simulate situation:

You have very little understanding of support. I don't know why you think you do. You're just naive and/or basic.

If you happy with your thoughts and imagination - I'am in no power to prove that wrong.