Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you say to a provider who asks the password? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you say to a provider who asks the password?

Comments

• @vitobotta said:

@MrLime said:
    I had the same with ReliableSite. The server was being setup for production workloads. There was a problem with it so we needed a double check on the hardware side and maybe a rescue boot. The first reply was to supply them with the root password as the one found on the control panel wasn't working for them.

Never asked for permission in the first place or explained why.

Found it very odd. Server is under the cancellation period now.

Wow, they tried accessing the server without even asking first?

That's right. Unbelievable.

• @henix said:
    "Would you like some fryes with that?"

good reponse

Thanked by 1henix
  • @LTniger said:

@risharde said:
    Usually the host not can login without the password so I have no idea, maybe there is a security measure in place where the support doesn't have access to the host node probably. In which case if you are kind and want the issue resolved, change your password and give them the temp password to determine the issue if it's worth your while.

What are you talking about? If provider wants, he can dump ram data from your vps and directly look ssh key, let alone passwords. Never ever give anyone your password.

Even easier, most providers supply a template that runs the qemu-guest-agent, so they can run any commands they want on your server with or without a password. As per the above, if you really care about your data, don't use a VPS, get a cheap dedi - and even then if they have physical access to your machine, at some point you have to just trust them.

The reality is that no matter how important your data is to you, it's probably not even vaguely interesting to the provider, so the risk is pretty minimal compared to hackers from the outside.

Thanked by 3MrLime jokotan maverick
  • @vitobotta said: It's part of the CP, it doesn't seem like you can disable it as a regular user

So, what is the problem if support ask for the password if they have an option to change the password at any time? :-)

• Has any of you ever had reason to suspect that the provider accessed your data without asking you for a permission?

• @jokotan said:

@vitobotta said: It's part of the CP, it doesn't seem like you can disable it as a regular user

So, what is the problem if support ask for the password if they have an option to change the password at any time? :-)

Even if they can do that anyway, they should ask permission first but IMO they shouldn't even consider accessing a customer's data in first place

Thanked by 1jokotan
  • jokotanjokotan Member
    edited November 2023

Btw, I had another issue with my unmanaged dadi. I run adult site and periodically receive abuses. I said to my provider support that I'm ready to give them root access to make them able to immediately remove abused images, but they rejected this.

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited November 2023

@vitobotta said: Has any of you ever had reason to suspect that the provider accessed your data without asking you for a permission?

I have nothing against, but they don't want to

• edited November 2023

@ralf said:
    most providers supply a template that runs the qemu-guest-agent

One more reason to use an iso and install yourself (or dd some raw image over ssh using a rescue system). I hate all the convenience junk that ends up on your system without your knowledge.

• @jokotan said:

@vitobotta said: Has any of you ever had reason to suspect that the provider accessed your data without asking you for a permission?

I have nothing against, but they don't want to

:D

• @ralf said: Even easier, most providers supply a template that runs the qemu-guest-agent,

is it safe to disable this service on running system or it will not boot or something?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2023

It happened to me when interacting with @NDTN support.
    I informed them that my OS does not have a password, but only uses SSH keys.
    I write complete steps to reproduce the problem in the rescue environment, and give them permission to reboot into rescue to type these commands and then check the problem.

Additionally, I give them permission to take a snapshot of my main system, reinstall with their template, check on the problem, and restore the snapshot.
    If the service comes without a snapshot slot, I expect the provider to temporarily offer a snapshot slot so that their personnel can check on network issues.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @jokotan said:

@ralf said: Even easier, most providers supply a template that runs the qemu-guest-agent,

is it safe to disable this service on running system or it will not boot or something?

Yeah, safe to do so, but you'll lose a lot of the control panel functionality. I normally leave it enabled, even though I never actually use the control panel for anything beyond initial setup.

• @jokotan said:
    Btw, I had another issue with my unmanaged dadi. I run adult site and periodically receive abuses. I said to my provider support that I'm ready to give them root access to make them able to immediately remove abused images, but they rejected this.

They obviously don't want to do any unpaid work. Also knowing your data might make them liable, which is probably the last thing they want.

• @yoursunny said:
    It happened to me when interacting with @NDTN support.
    I informed them that my OS does not have a password, but only uses SSH keys.
    I write complete steps to reproduce the problem in the rescue environment, and give them permission to reboot into rescue to type these commands and then check the problem.

Additionally, I give them permission to take a snapshot of my main system, reinstall with their template, check on the problem, and restore the snapshot.
    If the service comes without a snapshot slot, I expect the provider to temporarily offer a snapshot slot so that their personnel can check on network issues.

Did they try to troubleshoot with your first or did they ask for the password right away?

• @vitobotta said:
    Has any of you ever had reason to suspect that the provider accessed your data without asking you for a permission?

Not, but I was surprised that my OVH dedi few years ago came pre-installed with an SSH key. Also had some monitoring software pre-installed so it could report back CPU use etc to their control panel, presumably installed after installation using this ssh key, but no reason to think anyone actually tried to use the key again. But in any case, I removed it from my authorized_keys file straight away anyway.

Thanked by 1evergreen
  • @ralf said:

@vitobotta said:
    Has any of you ever had reason to suspect that the provider accessed your data without asking you for a permission?

Not, but I was surprised that my OVH dedi few years ago came pre-installed with an SSH key. Also had some monitoring software pre-installed so it could report back CPU use etc to their control panel, presumably installed after installation using this ssh key, but no reason to think anyone actually tried to use the key again. But in any case, I removed it from my authorized_keys file straight away anyway.

Unbelievable. Did you not reinstall the OS?

Thanked by 1evergreen
  • remyremy Member
    edited November 2023

I think I'd answer "What the hell...you want my wife as well?"
    But I don't have a wife and no password either.

• Would it have made a difference to you if they asked to use their ssh key instead?

Did you offer that as an alternative?

If there isn't much on there as you have stated then what's the issue? Let them investigate the issue you are having so they can support you.

You can change a password. You can remove anything sensitive that you don't wish them to see.

Seems like providers are damned if they don't help. Damned if they attempt to help.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Actually, one thing I liked about Hetzner is that they themselves provide instructions on how to install with full-disk encryption. I guess I could have done the same at OVH as I installed it via the rescue image, manually creating the RAID mirror and debootstrap'ing into an empty filesystem.

• edited November 2023

@ralf said:

@jokotan said:

@ralf said: Even easier, most providers supply a template that runs the qemu-guest-agent,

Yeah, safe to do so, but you'll lose a lot of the control panel functionality.

Yeah, i've seen quite a bit of funny behavior just because the panel thinks my system is something it totally isn't. :D

• @vitobotta said:

@ralf said:

@vitobotta said:

Unbelievable. Did you not reinstall the OS?

Yes, but only a week or so later. At that time I was just learning about setting up KVM myself, so I just used the initial config to practice a bit with setting up VMs and an iptables-based firewall, and once I was happy I knew what I was doing and had automated it via a script, I wiped the whole server and started from scratch.

• edited November 2023

@ralf said:
    Actually, one thing I liked about Hetzner is that they themselves provide instructions on how to install with full-disk encryption. I guess I could have done the same at OVH as I installed it via the rescue image, manually creating the RAID mirror and debootstrap'ing into an empty filesystem.

Even with a dedi full disk encryption isn't really all that secure since you'll always have to keep an unencrypted boot partition and if your dedi ever goes down backdooring that is easily possible, logging keys and thereby rendering the encryption useless.

Edit: Which obviously doesn't mean i won't use it.

• @vitobotta said:

Even if they can do that anyway, they should ask permission first but IMO they shouldn't even consider accessing a customer's data in first place

sorry, but that's complete BS. a lot of clients expect the provider to help them install or maintain software even on an unmanaged service. that's what gets them praising for good support in the first place.

just because you might be more proficent does not mean the support agent knows that but more likely expect the average joe and is offering help. maybe you should try working in technical support for a while to gain real experience about customer demands and expectations ;-)

again I'd like to see the actual wording in the ticket not just a summary. it's always helpful if you provide as much information as possible in your work order to help the support people to help you in the best way possible.

• Depends on the provider.
    Usually a provider that knows what they're doing won't need the password.

I had a similar situation with Greencloud.
    I re-installed the node, shared the password with them, let them fix it.
    Then, re-installed again ensured the fix persisted and restored the stack on that node (I use ansible, so it was easy/fast).

• @hennaboy said:
    Would it have made a difference to you if they asked to use their ssh key instead?

If there isn't much on there as you have stated then what's the issue? Let them investigate the issue you are having so they can support you.

You can change a password. You can remove anything sensitive that you don't wish them to see.

Seems like providers are damned if they don't help. Damned if they attempt to help.

Password or SSH key I don't want them to access my data that easily.

It's not about "damning" a provider, but I think asking for the password should be the very last resort, not the first thing they ask to troubleshoot a problem.

@Falzo said:

@vitobotta said:

sorry, but that's complete BS. a lot of clients expect the provider to help them install or maintain software even on an unmanaged service. that's what gets them praising for good support in the first place.

just because you might be more proficent does not mean the support agent knows that but more likely expect the average joe and is offering help. maybe you should try working in technical support for a while to gain real experience about customer demands and expectations ;-)

again I'd like to see the actual wording in the ticket not just a summary. it's always helpful if you provide as much information as possible in your work order to help the support people to help you in the best way possible.

It's not BS. I am not asking for support with software or anything like that. My problem is that I reinstalled the OS, then started a few containers, nothing buggy, and the server got shutdown 3 times apparently not from the guest os. They asked me to check the logs, which I did and found no sign of shutdown, then they asked me the password already.

• @vitobotta said:

@hennaboy said:
    Would it have made a difference to you if they asked to use their ssh key instead?

It's not about "damning" a provider, but I think asking for the password should be the very last resort, not the first thing they ask to troubleshoot a problem.

@Falzo said:

@vitobotta said:

It's not BS. I am not asking for support with software or anything like that. My problem is that I reinstalled the OS, then started a few containers, nothing buggy, and the server got shutdown 3 times apparently not from the guest os. They asked me to check the logs, which I did and found no sign of shutdown, then they asked me the password already.

What do you want then?

For them to provide an alternative server?

• @hennaboy said:

@vitobotta said:

@hennaboy said:

@Falzo said:

@vitobotta said:

What do you want then?

For them to provide an alternative server?

Not necessarily, they could tell me if there is something specific they want me to check in the guest OS other than what I have already done

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It’s appropriate to either ask for a password or ask someone to install your SSH key under certain conditions. It’s no different than installing cPanel’s SSH key when you open a support ticket with them.

Of course it isn’t necessary if the problem is outside of the VPS, but if the provider believes it isn’t and is still willing to help, it’s okay for them to offer to help if you are comfortable with providing access. If you’re not, no big deal.

• @jar said:
    It’s appropriate to either ask for a password or ask someone to install your SSH key under certain conditions. It’s no different than installing cPanel’s SSH key when you open a support ticket with them.

Of course it isn’t necessary if the problem is outside of the VPS, but if the provider believes it isn’t and is still willing to help, it’s okay for them to offer to help if you are comfortable with providing access. If you’re not, no big deal.

Exactly this.

Thanked by 1jar