Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server

13»

Comments

• Cheap and lacks chassis.

Thanked by 2SinV shruub
  • @davide said: Be careful with the calories, that's pure energy.

How many calories is isopropyl?

• @chenxuhua said:

Cheap and lacks chassis.

remote backup?

looks good, i like it!

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

I lost all my data once when I was around 15. Then I started using older PCs for backup/storage servers. Now I have a not so cheap set up, but it's still a work-in-progress.

(Assuming the images load). The top two HP servers run Unraid, the bottom Supermicro runs Windows Server with 104TB.

• @SinSiXX said:
    I lost all my data once when I was around 15. Then I started using older PCs for backup/storage servers. Now I have a not so cheap set up, but it's still a work-in-progress.

(Assuming the images load). The top two HP servers run Unraid, the bottom Supermicro runs Windows Server with 104TB.

Juicy
    Send them my way
    And i'll send you the electricity bill

Jokes aside
    Once you loose pictures, you wont do the same mistske again

• When i was ur age i was also very sensitive about safeguarding my data. I remember buying several usb lacie 3.5 from media markt just to have multiple copies in case a drive failed. Lo & behold one particular drive failed and i lost all my photos from europe. I kept on looking for the drive's duplicate pcb, the hope was that an exactly matched board cud help me recover the data. Around 11 years after the drive failure and almost a dozen different boards i finally managed to get the drive running. Copied all the media but now i felt different. I wasnt as eager to see all those pictures and the recovered data didnt seem so important all of a sudden.
    Now I just use google photos, mainly to save photos and videos of my kids & family. Even an own nextcloud setup feels like an unnecessary chore.

Thanked by 1ragtop4
  • @DeadlyChemist said:

@chenxuhua said:

Cheap and lacks chassis.

remote backup?

looks good, i like it!

To be precise, it is a remote cold backup. It only turns on the power through IPMI when needed and starts the backup. It will shut down once the backup is completed.

I used old motherboard, RAM and CPU, only the HDD is new to save costs.

• Home server becomes pointless if the power usage goes above 50 watt.

• @nikozin said:
    Home server becomes pointless if the power usage goes above 50 watt.

Not if you borrow the power from your neighbor.

Thanked by 2fendix nikozin
  • @nikozin said:

@CheepCluck said:

@nikozin said:

i sadly need home assistant and local files... unsure how to bring the wattage down
    i think 15 or so is for router and switch already

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@nikozin said:

@CheepCluck said:

@nikozin said:

i sadly need home assistant and local files... unsure how to bring the wattage down
    i think 15 or so is for router and switch already

How many neighbors and power extensions ya got?

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@ScreenReader said:
    I just use netbook asus eepc and slap 8TB ssd on it for backup purpose. hassle-free, easy to put it anywhere, doesn't use electricity that much (6-8W during peak usage, as long as screen turned off). and it has it's own battery too.
    the downside is that the network port still 100mbps.

And if your apartment burns down?

restore them using mirror that were in granny house, or in my summer house, or the one in azure cold storage.

you're not too poor to implement 3-2-1 backup at bare minimum right? unless the data is not that important ofc

• @ScreenReader said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@ScreenReader said:
    I just use netbook asus eepc and slap 8TB ssd on it for backup purpose. hassle-free, easy to put it anywhere, doesn't use electricity that much (6-8W during peak usage, as long as screen turned off). and it has it's own battery too.
    the downside is that the network port still 100mbps.

And if your apartment burns down?

restore them using mirror that were in granny house, or in my summer house, or the one in azure cold storage.

you're not too poor to implement 3-2-1 backup at bare minimum right? unless the data is not that important ofc

nah nah, my backup is safe

it's all incremental as well

• I might or might not have been influenced by someone

• Now you too have a datacenter!

Can't wait for you to start selling on LET!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • i was wondering why the backup at my mom does not work, it's dead, like dead dead

i think it's the hard drive case, but cant test
    glad i have like 3 more locations

• aaaand discord deleted my pics on the front page... anyways

just a short update
    figured out i can do a proxmox backups of full vms (like home assistant) to a external hdd daily

so i did, and using black magic and pain in the ass i managed to mount proxmox filesystem inside of duplicati
    so now im pushing these proxmox backups using duplicati to external location

nice!

• davidedavide Member

For me, incongruently, the VMs that matter the most are backed up less frequently than the least important ones, because I don't want to shut them down as often for taking backups. Thus the backup frequencies are 1 to 7 days.

• @davide said:
    For me, incongruently, the VMs that matter the most are backed up less frequently than the least important ones, because I don't want to shut them down as often for taking backups. Thus the backup frequencies are 1 to 7 days.

I take live backup, thats enough for me tbh

• webontopwebontop Member

:) I have a Raspberry Pi 4 dedicated server. Running my DMCA free 2 small onion sites. Running on 5G fast network. Having 256GB total storage and Duracell batteries. For load balancing recently I bought another one and this one does not travel with me .. this one for load balance is hidden somewhere where I get free Railway WIFI access 24x7. With a speed of up to 1Gbps.. backup with Duracell batteries again.

@alvaro and @DeadlyChemist and others... it's just for backups or run the business on it? because it consumes 24x7 electricity ... really worth it??

• @Zyra said:
    i have a 16bay nas server that i made from old computer parts in my room, that data is backed up to 2 providers here on LET, in case something happens to my house i still have 2 backups, was thinking of putting some of the data on a hetzner storage box as well but thats something for in the future.

I suggest you implement data compression and deduplication this can help reduce storage requirements and optimize your backup space usage.

• @webontop said:
    :) I have a Raspberry Pi 4 dedicated server. Running my DMCA free 2 small onion sites. Running on 5G fast network. Having 256GB total storage and Duracell batteries. For load balancing recently I bought another one and this one does not travel with me .. this one for load balance is hidden somewhere where I get free Railway WIFI access 24x7. With a speed of up to 1Gbps.. backup with Duracell batteries again.

@alvaro and @DeadlyChemist and others... it's just for backups or run the business on it? because it consumes 24x7 electricity ... really worth it??

Backups
    I need atuff like home asisstant so dont really have a choice but to run 24/7

• alvaroalvaro Member

@webontop said:

Electricity consumption is very low, plus I have a little energy left over from my ongrid solar power system.

I use it as my personal file server, in addition to having some containers backing up mine and some clients' servers.