Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server

DeadlyChemistDeadlyChemist Member
edited November 2023 in General

First, Story Time !

Many years ago (I was like 10? (26 now)) I have lost precious pictures (no redundancy), due to the nature of life, trips cannot be remade, and dead people cannot be brought back.
Later when I was 17 or so I nearly lost all my data again (water is a bitch, was redundant)

In 2022 Ukraine war broke out, so I encrypted my data (no redundancy) and uploaded it to @BlazinDimes in the US, so in case of encryption, water, fire or whatever my data is safe
In late 2022 I started an apprenticeship as software developer and by luck acquired old drives, this gave me redundancy, few drives were at my place (offline), some files were on my pc and bulk files were on the backup drive at my mom’s place.

Few months ago, I have bit the bullet with this post
In short, I got scammed on scamazon twice, but at the end acquired following things (not from scamazon):

  • 8tb hdd (still paying it off in installments) + cage (usb)
  • DELL Optiplex 3050 micro with non-genuine power adapter
    Talked to the seller regarding the non-genuine psu, Dell are assholes and limit the cpu to 0.9 GHz
    took me about 2 days to figure out, anyways I got a nice 20€ cashback, instead of buying a 30€ genuine power adapter I puschased 8GB memory stick and 1€ attitny85 and used following project to hack it and trick it into thinking my adapter is genuine.
    https://github.com/jamwaffles/optiplower
    shoutout to jamwaffles!

My other hardware:

  • Giada F200 mini pc, 6tb hdd with cage (usb) (was sent to my mom)
  • Fritz!Box 7430 (my router)
  • Some 5 port switch
  • DIY UPS/Battery Bank: 12x Samsung INR21700-33J 3270mAh - 6.4A - Z-Tag (the white 3d printed box)

  • Bunch of DC-DC converters (a fucking mess) And bunch of other stuff, some had to buy, some already had
  • 30W solar panel (unused, for now)
  • Smarthome shits (not the topic of this post)

everything runs off 12V (in some way or the other)

Yes, yes, I could buy some ikea stuff and mount it
but I think you get the low-cost vibe… some kind of cabinet is planned but I never walk there, unless something gets broken (don’t jinx it)

The dell optiplex runs Proxmox as hypervisor, it runs few containers, important beeing truenas and “Duplicati nas sender” (just an alpine vm with ftp/smb mounted and duplicati)
Giada F200 mini pc runs nothing, just alpine (accepts files via ssh)

Here is how it all works:

I dump my raw files like pictures on the truenas server using SMB (8tb hdd not redundant)
Between 1h to 1 week later
files get encrypted with my password on my hardware and get sent to either @labze or my mom.
Neither one ever sees the password or any unencrypted files.
Most backups have versioning enabled, means deleting my files on my nas won’t delete them from the backups.
In case of fire, encryption or similar, files should remain in backups (my mails included!).
Obviously, I have better system in mind, but for now this has to last few years once I can actually afford some hdd and ssd as cache…

Cost (will round a lot):

  • The pc was about 100€
  • The hard drive was about 200€
  • The UPS, converters, box, etc probably around 100€?
  • The Giada, cables and my old drive was about 150€ (bought it like 3 years ago so does not count)
  • The server at Hostbrr costs me about 2€ a month
  • electricity at my house is 50W (router and all combined) 50W at 0.40€ is 15€ monthly
  • electricity at my mom’s place is I assume 10W? so about 3€ monthly

so the monthly cost on top is about 20€ (which is imo high asf)

Things you should consider:

  • Have 2 backups
  • Cloud backup at @labze is cheaper than buying hard drives + electricity imo
  • Have 2 backups, actually do, thank me later, lost enough shit.

Before people cry pinging pulsedmedia
im aware I can get many TB for cheap problem would be, I still need a home server for:
1. Local data, my internet is only 100/40
2. Smarthome and other things
3. Actually encrypting my files, no one, ever, gets my nudes or documents unencrypted (you can send me yours lol)
4. I don’t trust a single company, they can be 10 years in business. No single point of failure

Getting rid of the server at my moms place would be fully possible. Unlikely I can get 6tb for 3€ monthly (i already own the hardware the giada was free as well)

ASK ME ANYTHING and give me suggestions for better cost ratio (or even dm me offers?)

shoutout to jamwaffles @BlazinDimes @labze
and fuck you amazon

just curious
  1. Do you like my setup?63 votes
    1. yes
      47.62%
    2. no
      52.38%
  2. Are your files redundant?63 votes
    1. yes
      44.44%
    2. no
      17.46%
    3. I don't have files to store or care about
        7.94%
    4. I use google drive or similar cloud solution for all my files
      30.16%
«13

Comments

  • i have a 16bay nas server that i made from old computer parts in my room, that data is backed up to 2 providers here on LET, in case something happens to my house i still have 2 backups, was thinking of putting some of the data on a hetzner storage box as well but thats something for in the future.

    Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @Zyra said:
    i have a 16bay nas server that i made from old computer parts in my room, that data is backed up to 2 providers here on LET, in case something happens to my house i still have 2 backups, was thinking of putting some of the data on a hetzner storage box as well but thats something for in the future.

    thats good, similar setup i guess
    just larger
    tho electricity is a bitch here

  • ZyraZyra Member
    edited November 2023

    @DeadlyChemist said: tho electricity is a bitch here

    yep, same here, i dont run my server 24/7, i just use it whenever i need to send data to it so maybe once every week to give a rough estimate.

    My server is around 10tb, paid around 350 euros, found the case cheap since it was a bit dented. Would live to fill it with bigger drives but its so expensive.

  • @Zyra said:

    @DeadlyChemist said: tho electricity is a bitch here

    yep, same here, i dont run my server 24/7, i just use it whenever i need to send data to it so maybe once every week to give a rough estimate.

    smart
    but my smarthome and files are on the same node....
    ehhh i really really hate paying 20€ a month

  • @DeadlyChemist said: ehhh i really really hate paying 20€ a month

    Understandable, but 20 a month doesn't sound too bad. I spend approx 80 a month on providers. Did u manage to score some deals during BF?

  • @Zyra said:

    @DeadlyChemist said: ehhh i really really hate paying 20€ a month

    Understandable, but 20 a month doesn't sound too bad. I spend approx 80 a month on providers. Did u manage to score some deals during BF?

    meh, kind of... nothing on storage

    20€ is a lot for a student basically tbh

  • @DeadlyChemist said: 20€ is a lot for a student basically tbh

    Yep, know the pain. I was studying until September, I worked every Saturday to fund most of my servers lol, rest of my time was used for school and servers :P, Looking for a full time now.

    @DeadlyChemist said: meh, kind of... nothing on storage

    I did see a few storage offers on the BF thread, nothing that interests u?

  • @Zyra said:

    @DeadlyChemist said: 20€ is a lot for a student basically tbh

    Yep, know the pain. I was studying until September, I worked every Saturday to fund most of my servers lol, rest of my time was used for school and servers :P, Looking for a full time now.

    @DeadlyChemist said: meh, kind of... nothing on storage

    I did see a few storage offers on the BF thread, nothing that interests u?

    wont be cheaper than my 6tb for 3€ monthly at my mom
    my home server is 8tb
    and labze is just emergency most important backup
    incase somehow, somehow my mom and my server super ultra fail

    Thanked by 1Zyra
  • emghemgh Member
    edited November 2023

    Nice setup!

    I try to have redundancy as well

    Most important files are prod @ OVH Limburg with backups at HostHatch London as well as Backblaze Amsterdam

    Second most important files are prod @ HostHatch Stockholm with backups at HostHatch London & Backblaze Amsterdam

    I’m already sleeping semi-bad that the second most important project is only at two providers, that’s why it sucks for me that the best storage deal this year’s BF that HH ran is AMS & LA only, that’d merge that last project to not only two providers total but also have the second provider be in Amsterdam just like the already existing Backblaze backup

    I’ve thought about getting something locally, something similar. Before, static IPs etc was stopping me, but now recently I’ve thought about just committing to Tailnet and doing it inside a VPN between my servers (that I now extensively use)

    This might be my wake up call

  • @emgh said:
    Nice setup!

    I try to have redundancy as well

    Most important files are prod @ OVH Limburg with backups at HostHatch London as well as Backblaze Amsterdam

    Second most important files are prod @ HostHatch Stockholm with backups at HostHatch London & Backblaze Amsterdam

    I’m already sleeping semi-bad that the second most important project is only at two providers, that’s why it sucks for me that the best storage deal this year’s BF that HH ran is AMS & LA only, that’d merge that last project to not only two providers total but also have the second provider be in Amsterdam just like the already existing Backblaze backup

    I’ve thought about getting something locally, something similar. Before, static IPs etc was stopping me, but now recently I’ve thought about just committing to Tailnet and doing it inside a VPN between my servers (that I now extensively use)

    This might be my wake up call

    dont need static ips for my case. i need my files locally so i can you know... actually use them, watch them, etc etc.

    but ye, multiple redundancies is the key

    Thanked by 1emgh
  • iv seen that you have upgraded

  • @babywhale said:
    iv seen that you have upgraded

    yes, finally sleep well

  • Picture 2 looks like @Calin s DC before his mom cleaned up and accidently turned the power off :)

  • @Fazzil said:
    Picture 2 looks like @Calin s DC before his mom cleaned up and accidently turned the power off :)

    i told everyone that visits me, you can look but you can't touch

  • @DeadlyChemist how do you keep the overview? What if something breaks?

  • commercialcommercial Member
    edited November 2023

    Everyone have to learn,
    time is cheap as long as you're not old enought to know about its real price ...
    Enjoy your life ;)

  • @Fazzil said:
    @DeadlyChemist how do you keep the overview? What if something breaks?

    i pray it does not
    jk
    stuff that can break:

    • router/wifi
    • harddrive power
    • switch
    • usb thingy (drive, extra ethernet, bluetooth, zigbee)
    • the pc itself
    • battery (why would it, so far had 0 power outages, aside once i flicked wrong breaker)

    it's pretty easy to take the component out and test it with real power adapter. any break of these components (aside battery) is failure so whole system is down
    which is fine

    if pc breaks it's most pain because then nothing works

    Thanked by 1Fazzil
  • @commercial said:
    Everyone have to learn,
    time is cheap as long as you're not old enought to know about its real price ...
    Enjoy your life ;)

    i'd buy some pre-made things, but for that i need a job that i can actually do more of and get paid more...
    im on a apprenticeship
    regardless how much i work, my pay is same

  • bonus question german-edition: how do you explain your insurance if something starts catching fire?

  • My home file server is an ODROID HC1 with a 2TB HDD (working for over 5 years), there is the possibility of connecting a second HD via USB for redundancy, but as I only use it for backups (local and servers) it should not be a problem when the HD dies. Furthermore, energy consumption is very low and I have solar panels. The HC1 is connected to a Chinese mini UPS powered by 3x 18650 lithium batteries.

  • @Fazzil said:
    bonus question german-edition: how do you explain your insurance if something starts catching fire?

    good question

    Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • @alvaro said:
    My home file server is an ODROID HC1 with a 2TB HDD (working for over 5 years), there is the possibility of connecting a second HD via USB for redundancy, but as I only use it for backups (local and servers) it should not be a problem when the HD dies. Furthermore, energy consumption is very low and I have solar panels. The HC1 is connected to a Chinese mini UPS powered by 3x 18650 lithium batteries.

    so technically you have your data in 2 places
    thats good i guess
    solar is nice

  • wow, that's painful to look at.

  • @verl20 said:
    wow, that's painful to look at.

    thanks!
    what would you change?

  • verl20verl20 Member
    edited November 2023

    @DeadlyChemist said:

    @verl20 said:
    wow, that's painful to look at.

    thanks!
    what would you change?

    It's fine, serves its purpose. My OCD just wouldn't allow it. = )

  • @verl20 said:

    @DeadlyChemist said:

    @verl20 said:
    wow, that's painful to look at.

    thanks!
    what would you change?

    It's fine, serves its purpose. My OCD just wouldn't allow it. = )

    i just close the door and dont look at it

  • davidedavide Member
    edited November 2023

    That power strip is a meter long jesus christ how big do german sockets have to be!
    Like a baguette... The french ones are also gay, but that is in the nature of the french.

    The best socket imho is the chilean, which very coincidentally is also the italian one :D

  • @davide said:
    That power strip is a meter long jesus christ how big do german sockets have to be!
    Like a baguette... The french ones are also gay, but that is in the nature of the french.

    The best socket imho is the chilean, which very coincidentally is also the italian one :D

    i dont even use it lmao i just need my battery thingy 19v laptop adapter
    and a usb charger

    i think now (3 weeks after the picture) the baguette is gone

  • davidedavide Member
    edited November 2023

    @DeadlyChemist said:
    i think now (3 weeks after the picture) the baguette is gone

    Ah you don't dare to look!

    BTW the only little tiny issue with italian plugs is that... no appliance comes with an italian plug :(

    Problem is best explained in pictures:

    I honestly don't understand this country.

  • @davide said:

    @DeadlyChemist said:
    i think now (3 weeks after the picture) the baguette is gone

    Ah you don't dare to look!

    BTW the only little tiny issue with italian plugs is that... no appliance comes with an italian plug :(

    Problem is best explained in pictures:

    I honestly don't understand this country.

    oh i hope you guys have ground protection and shits everywhere... thats a "little" bit unsafe

Sign In or Register to comment.