Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Cheapish (but Redundant) Home File Server

Comments

• @DeadlyChemist said:
    oh i hope you guys have ground protection and shits everywhere... thats a "little" bit unsafe

Shit doesn't lack. Full of shit everywhere ☑

As for ground protection, I dunno I'll call the electrician, he'll take a piss on the sockets and probe. But we don't have many electricians left in the country.

• When I started with my home lab 10 years ago, I took a mATX Asrock motherboard with J1900 CPU integrated, slapped a 1TB hdd inside, added 4GB DDR3 ram, and had Windows Server 2012 (student edition [brother's license]). After some time, I estimated, that for one VM that I was actively using, I pay the same per year, as 16GB ram would cost, so decided to buy that and create VM at home. I had 250Mbps internet, so it was more than enough.

One unfortunate day the HDD was poof (not 100%, but it was almost not responding). Bought a new HDD, decided to not play anymore with MS, and started using Ubuntu. With virsh for more demanding setups, and lightweight stuff on lxd containers.

3 or 4 years ago I bought AlphaVPS storage VM, and started borg backup of important VMs. One was my owncloud setup.

Not full year later the HDD was completely dead.

Thats when I had to instantly buy a new HDD. Only 3TB one was available on the shelf. I was glad I had the offsite backup now.

Since I had now a lot of unused storage, I started using Storj. Sharing 1TB on that server. After like 1 year just from Storj earnings I was able to buy an external HDD to start a new node. Right now I have 3x6TB external drives dedicated for that.

After saving a bit (or to say it correctly-a lot), I finally bought a big NAS for me. I5-11500, 32GB DDR4, 4x6TB Raidz2, etc. This was a big investment, but I better have the HW on my own, than pay for GDrive for photos sync. Me, my wife and my son make a lot of photos and videos on phones, so having auto synced takes some space. Now my AlphaVPS is also upgraded to support full backups.

I wouldn't say current setup is completely lowend, but Storj at least pays for the electricity :) And aince I like tinkering, spawning my own VMs is much appreciated than payong for other providers :)

By the way, I have currently bought a used Lenovo p83 (iirc) tiny, to replace the J1900, but have lack of time to migrate everything... :)

• @MrEd said:
    When I started with my home lab 10 years ago, I took a mATX Asrock motherboard with J1900 CPU integrated, slapped a 1TB hdd inside, added 4GB DDR3 ram, and had Windows Server 2012 (student edition [brother's license]). After some time, I estimated, that for one VM that I was actively using, I pay the same per year, as 16GB ram would cost, so decided to buy that and create VM at home. I had 250Mbps internet, so it was more than enough.

One unfortunate day the HDD was poof (not 100%, but it was almost not responding). Bought a new HDD, decided to not play anymore with MS, and started using Ubuntu. With virsh for more demanding setups, and lightweight stuff on lxd containers.

3 or 4 years ago I bought AlphaVPS storage VM, and started borg backup of important VMs. One was my owncloud setup.

Thats when I had to instantly buy a new HDD. Only 3TB one was available on the shelf. I was glad I had the offsite backup now.

Since I had now a lot of unused storage, I started using Storj. Sharing 1TB on that server. After like 1 year just from Storj earnings I was able to buy an external HDD to start a new node. Right now I have 3x6TB external drives dedicated for that.

After saving a bit (or to say it correctly-a lot), I finally bought a big NAS for me. I5-11500, 32GB DDR4, 4x6TB Raidz2, etc. This was a big investment, but I better have the HW on my own, than pay for GDrive for photos sync. Me, my wife and my son make a lot of photos and videos on phones, so having auto synced takes some space. Now my AlphaVPS is also upgraded to support full backups.

I wouldn't say current setup is completely lowend, but Storj at least pays for the electricity :) And aince I like tinkering, spawning my own VMs is much appreciated than payong for other providers :)

By the way, I have currently bought a used Lenovo p83 (iirc) tiny, to replace the J1900, but have lack of time to migrate everything... :)

nice ! thanks for sharing

not sure what's Storj
    electricity is expensive here

but yeah, have backups (remote too)

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@MrEd said:
    When I started with my home lab 10 years ago, I took a mATX Asrock motherboard with J1900 CPU integrated, slapped a 1TB hdd inside, added 4GB DDR3 ram, and had Windows Server 2012 (student edition [brother's license]). After some time, I estimated, that for one VM that I was actively using, I pay the same per year, as 16GB ram would cost, so decided to buy that and create VM at home. I had 250Mbps internet, so it was more than enough.

nice ! thanks for sharing

not sure what's Storj
    electricity is expensive here

but yeah, have backups (remote too)

Storj is crypto that you earn by sharing your disk space. Startup with it is very slow, but when you have some nodes running, adding another one starts with payouts immediately, just these payouts are very small.

Electricity here is also not cheap, but its cheaper to have idling home lab than pay for idling VMs :) I develop java, so I need "some" resources, and I need things like Jenkins, Nexus, etc... these need much memory. :)

• No official Server at home, well I was thinking of building one but HDDs are costly (nearly $50 per TB for consumer-grade and around $90 per TB for enterprise-grade) so I dropped the idea for now until I see a justifiable reason to do so or get HDDs for cheap, my current data setups are on one drive and drive e2 for backups I mostly use rsync or pure sftp, don't have any MS servers in my catalog but apparently my most VMs are either running RHEL based distros(rocky8/9 and centos7) or Debian. I have a decade-old laptop(still running fine constantly running 24x7 pulling crucial backups from my VMs with a cron and storing it on a cheap QLC SSD which is surprisingly cheaper than its HDD counterpart for the same capacity( $40 per TB). So there's that and my desk is always in a mess, especially the cables they are everywhere, it looks like a battlefield on its own when I am finding something.

• I used to have a complicated backup system, I've mentioned it before, but basically 2 external drives that were FDE using LVM. A backup script used rsync to backup to a folder based on hostname, date and time, and used -compare-dest to the previous version, so I got a "full filesystem" in each backup with hard-links to the previous version so it was effectively an incremental. Most of the time, one backup drive lived in my car, the other at work (equivalent to you using your mum's house), and about once a week I'd take the drive from the boot into the house, do the backup, return it to the boot, and then swap it with the work one the next day. Worked well for a few years, but there was the hassle of carrying the drive in and out of the house and plugging it in, etc.

Now, I just just borgbackup to a few different storage VPS from different providers, which is nice because it can be automated to run every day. A few of the most important machines are also backed-up to a VM on my router (a proxmox mini-PC with 4 network ports) and also to both my dedis. All the borg targets are set to append-only mode.

I'm fairly happy with the new system - I can use pretty much any provider that offers ssh, and I can setup a new backup target in a few minutes per machine. If the provider gets hacked, all the files are encrypted, and there are multiple copies of everything so even if a hacker deleted an entire storage VPS, it would just be annoying, not a big loss. Also, I use a different borg keyphrase for each host/storage pair, so even if one host was compromised, the other backups wouldn't be. All in all, less hassle, and I have better geographic distribution.

• @TrK said:
    No official Server at home, well I was thinking of building one but HDDs are costly (nearly $50 per TB for consumer-grade and around $90 per TB for enterprise-grade) so I dropped the idea for now until I see a justifiable reason to do so or get HDDs for cheap, my current data setups are on one drive and drive e2 for backups I mostly use rsync or pure sftp, don't have any MS servers in my catalog but apparently my most VMs are either running RHEL based distros(rocky8/9 and centos7) or Debian. I have a decade-old laptop(still running fine constantly running 24x7 pulling crucial backups from my VMs with a cron and storing it on a cheap QLC SSD which is surprisingly cheaper than its HDD counterpart for the same capacity( $40 per TB). So there's that and my desk is always in a mess, especially the cables they are everywhere, it looks like a battlefield on its own when I am finding something.

$50/TB is a bit much... https://www.skytech.lt/mg08ada800e-toshiba-enterprise-hdd-8tb-35i-sata-6gbits-7200rpm-p-550814.html Its 25€/TB for enterprise grade here... And external drives you can find 100€/6TB for example.

• @MrEd said:

@TrK said:
    No official Server at home, well I was thinking of building one but HDDs are costly (nearly $50 per TB for consumer-grade and around $90 per TB for enterprise-grade) so I dropped the idea for now until I see a justifiable reason to do so or get HDDs for cheap, my current data setups are on one drive and drive e2 for backups I mostly use rsync or pure sftp, don't have any MS servers in my catalog but apparently my most VMs are either running RHEL based distros(rocky8/9 and centos7) or Debian. I have a decade-old laptop(still running fine constantly running 24x7 pulling crucial backups from my VMs with a cron and storing it on a cheap QLC SSD which is surprisingly cheaper than its HDD counterpart for the same capacity( $40 per TB). So there's that and my desk is always in a mess, especially the cables they are everywhere, it looks like a battlefield on its own when I am finding something.

$50/TB is a bit much... https://www.skytech.lt/mg08ada800e-toshiba-enterprise-hdd-8tb-35i-sata-6gbits-7200rpm-p-550814.html Its 25€/TB for enterprise grade here... And external drives you can find 100€/6TB for example.

As i said I won't be investing in storage with that price point, i will only do that if i find enterprise HDD cheaper here. For quite some time i had my eyes on ultrastar but the price is only thing chaining my thoughts. Let me check that toshiba one thanks for the link :)

• @MrEd @TrK @ralf
    thanks for the stories !

Thanked by 2TrK MrEd
  • get fucked btw :)

• @DeadlyChemist said:

• electricity at my house is 50W (router and all combined) 50W at 0.40€ is 15€ monthly
    • electricity at my mom’s place is I assume 10W? so about 3€ monthly

Where are you that it costs 0.40€? I assume you mean 0.40€ per KWh?

I live between Spain and the UK and pay 0.17€ per KWh, in Spain, I'm not the bill payer in UK so not sure.

but at 0.17 per KWh, 50W consumes 1.2Kwh per day, that's 0.204€ a day 6.12€ a month. My setup is similar in power consumption, i have lots of stuff running 24/7, modem, router, 2 switches, 3 access points CCTV, home assistant, auto aquarium heating lighting, media server etc.

In Spain and UK there are many price comparison websites where you can switch to the cheapest tariff, If one does not exist in your country, make one, then cream off the affiliate profits.

Uswitch in the UK get between £25 and £150 per customer that switches elec and or gas. It's a gold mine and they make very healthy profits, for a not too complex website.

• Have you considered a Hetzner storage box?
    Very reliable, and you can use rclone for encryption.

• In Spain you get cheaper methane from Algeria / Nigeria, in cental Europe they buy from Russia and electricity has always been more expensive.

• @GreenRuby said:
    Have you considered a Hetzner storage box?
    Very reliable, and you can use rclone for encryption.

nope, my moms backups are 3€ per month for 6TB, infinite BW, but only 100/40
    boubt hetzner would be cheaper?
    and as i mentioned, i still need home server for HA and local files

@davide said:
    In Spain you get cheaper methane from Algeria / Nigeria, in cental Europe they buy from Russia and electricity has always been more expensive.

@nocloud said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

• electricity at my house is 50W (router and all combined) 50W at 0.40€ is 15€ monthly
    • electricity at my mom’s place is I assume 10W? so about 3€ monthly

Where are you that it costs 0.40€? I assume you mean 0.40€ per KWh?

I live between Spain and the UK and pay 0.17€ per KWh, in Spain, I'm not the bill payer in UK so not sure.

but at 0.17 per KWh, 50W consumes 1.2Kwh per day, that's 0.204€ a day 6.12€ a month. My setup is similar in power consumption, i have lots of stuff running 24/7, modem, router, 2 switches, 3 access points CCTV, home assistant, auto aquarium heating lighting, media server etc.

In Spain and UK there are many price comparison websites where you can switch to the cheapest tariff, If one does not exist in your country, make one, then cream off the affiliate profits.

Uswitch in the UK get between £25 and £150 per customer that switches elec and or gas. It's a gold mine and they make very healthy profits, for a not too complex website.

i could do something but not much.... bit fucked

but it's fine i guess? for now...

im more glad my data is SAFE, 20€/month sucks hard
    but oh well....

• @davide said:
    In Spain you get cheaper methane from Algeria / Nigeria, in cental Europe they buy from Russia and electricity has always been more expensive.

True but Eastern Europe is much cheaper than Spain, I got a good deal because I checked and switched supplier. Spain is only 15-20% cheaper than most central European countries. Belgium, Germany etc.

Average in Spain is 0.37€ KWh, shop around, chances are you are being ripped off.

• @DeadlyChemist said:

i could do something but not much.... bit fucked

but it's fine i guess? for now...

im more glad my data is SAFE, 20€/month sucks hard
    but oh well....

I used to have a bigger power hungry setup, but then switched to ARM devices, and saved a lot on elec.

Last December I got a 16GB OrangePi 5 plus 500GB nvme, for 90€ +20€, use it with 5TB USB drive, runs at 7 to 8 watts under load and is a monster for performance / efficiency ratio.

For redundancy I used to have a second USB drive attached that rsynced daily, but even if the drive was externally powered it had issues, So now I just keep it attached to my main PC and manually rsync it every now and again.

• @nocloud said: For redundancy

and if your house gets flooded?

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@nocloud said: For redundancy

Well i live on the top floor of my block, but I get your point.

But no data can ever be 100% safe. For all the really important stuff I have wallet SD card safe, that is always with me, with 3 good quality cards that share the same data. Of course the data on those, is only for last resort, passwords, keys, genesis block wallets etc. I still have that data backed up multiple times elsewhere.

I had a hard drive failure last year, was unreadable, I think i posted here for advice. Managed to recover 99.99% of all files.

• @nocloud said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

But no data can ever be 100% safe. For all the really important stuff I have wallet SD card safe, that is always with me, with 3 good quality cards that share the same data. Of course the data on those, is only for last resort, passwords, keys, genesis block wallets etc. I still have that data backed up multiple times elsewhere.

I had a hard drive failure last year, was unreadable, I think i posted here for advice. Managed to recover 99.99% of all files.

well
    A. you'll cry one day
    B. your data is really not that important

im a looser for relying on 1password a lot either way, but at least my pictures are safe? lmao
    recently a copy has been sent to japan (Infraveo Cloud)
    so it's middle germany, north-east germany, finland and japan
    should be gucci, i hope? i really really hope...

• @DeadlyChemist, Can you share some details on the 24V UPS you got going there ? you said it's DIY ...

• @DeadlyChemist said:

@nocloud said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

well
    A. you'll cry one day

No data is really that important. but even if you had 100% safe data, what happens if you lose your mind, your data is safe but where is your data?

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

@nocloud legit concern. Some years ago the US Army estimated the MTBF of 25 to 35 year-old males to 700 years IIRC.

Beat that with a hard disk.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • I just use netbook asus eepc and slap 8TB ssd on it for backup purpose. hassle-free, easy to put it anywhere, doesn't use electricity that much (6-8W during peak usage, as long as screen turned off). and it has it's own battery too.
    the downside is that the network port still 100mbps.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • None of this is UL certified. Can I set one up in my bathtub? (dont worry i never use it)

• @Whoa said:
    @DeadlyChemist, Can you share some details on the 24V UPS you got going there ? you said it's DIY ...

As you can see from the pics and short desc
    Its 6x2 liion battery min max voltage about 18v-25.2v
    Depends how much juice they have
    Im constantly feeding about 19-19.5 volts into the battery from the wall

@CheepCluck said:
    None of this is UL certified. Can I set one up in my bathtub? (dont worry i never use it)

The power adapter is UL certified

The 18-24v then gets fed to dc-dc converter that spits out stable 12v (losses)

In the case of power outage battery will slowly stay at 19.5 or so volts untill it drops to 18 or unsure and BMS shuts off (just a decent chesp BMS) wont be long but never was intended

Its a battery, bms and few diodes, thats it

Later i can also feed 24v from solar into the battery so it increases the voltsge of it
    Which means that energy will get used up first instead of the wall adapter

Thanked by 1Whoa
  • @ScreenReader said:
    I just use netbook asus eepc and slap 8TB ssd on it for backup purpose. hassle-free, easy to put it anywhere, doesn't use electricity that much (6-8W during peak usage, as long as screen turned off). and it has it's own battery too.
    the downside is that the network port still 100mbps.

And if your apartment burns down?

@nocloud said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

@nocloud said:

@DeadlyChemist said:

well
    A. you'll cry one day

No data is really that important. but even if you had 100% safe data, what happens if you lose your mind, your data is safe but where is your data?

Unsure, possibly jump off the window or smth? At least my data is safe

priorities

• i want to be fed 24v :(

• @CheepCluck said:
    i want to be fed 24v :(

routers, switches and stuff are 12v so i went with 12v

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

@CheepCluck said:
    i want to be fed 24v :(

Be careful with the calories, that's pure energy.

@DeadlyChemist said:
    And if your apartment burns down?

You are already deep in trouble then, only in Hell >:) there are the required maybe 6000 degrees to burn clay bricks. Now I understand that German houses may be more furnished than the ghetto brick-boxes we have in Italy. We are prudent to not put flammable materials indoors, or furniture at all in fact.

• For context:

Ok right, maybe not everybody lives in a deconsecrated church, but add white paint and that's really it.