Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup ARM Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup ARM Servers

loayloay Member
edited October 2023 in General

netcup announced new ARM servers in an email I received today. Still in beta for anyone interested in trying it.

Today, we're excited to share some exciting news: our beta version of ARM servers is live, and you have the exclusive opportunity to become a tester. It's worth grabbing it quickly, because the number of pieces is very limited!

Below you will find all the information and details on how to get your ARM server beta.

There are two products to choose from:

ARM 1000 G11 Beta

6 vCPU / 8 GB RAM / 256 GB NVMe

Free for 3 months, then €6.95 / month

ARM 2000 G11 Beta

10 vCPU / 16 GB RAM / 512 GB NVMe

3 months free, then € 12.00 / month

Here's how to get your ARM Server Beta:

Register in the netcup forum if you are not yet a member
Follow the instructions in the thread "ARM Server: Beta Phase"
You will receive the order link for the respective product from us and go through the regular ordering process

Principle of awarding:

Since this product is a beta version, the number of pieces is very limited. The principle of awarding our ARM Beta products is first come, first serve. After a successful beta phase, ARM servers will be available in different tariff variants for all customers.

Email translated from German.

Thanked by 1maverick

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

warning:

Basically, after the first 3 months, the remaining 9 months have to be paid, but the Beta ARM servers are subject to the satisfaction guarantee and this can be used in the first 30 days.

Thanked by 2loay yoursunny
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2023

@FatGrizzly said:
    warning:

Basically, after the first 3 months, the remaining 9 months have to be paid, but the Beta ARM servers are subject to the satisfaction guarantee and this can be used in the first 30 days.

Additional warning:

They now use a debt collector in the US and they will never cancel your server by nonpayment, ever, they will bill it every month regardless.

Back story:

I often cancel by nonpayment, a common LET user thing to do, and I always go back and pay what I owed them later. Usually it’s between $50 and $200. This time it was well over $1000. I paid it but holy fuck, imagine owing that for a budget VPS you thought had been terminated. Even more annoying that I submitted a cancellation notice after that, and they just immediately sent the next bill to their debt collector.

It’s all fine it’s just not what people expect, thought I’d share.

• loayloay Member
    edited October 2023

@FatGrizzly said: warning:

Actually from there post in the forum they are sold out now. Someone posted yabs for the server performance but it is not very impressive compared to Hetzner offering.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/21872050

image from netcup forum:

Thanked by 1maverick
  • @jar said: I paid it but holy fuck, imagine paying for a year of a server you couldn’t use.

try @c1vhosting, service cancelation by mail only.

• @loay said:

@jar said: I paid it but holy fuck, imagine paying for a year of a server you couldn’t use.

try @c1vhosting, service cancelation by mail only.

Wtf :D

• boringHustlerboringHustler Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2023

@jar said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    warning:

Additional warning:

They now use a debt collector in the US and they will never cancel your server by nonpayment, ever, they will bill it every month regardless.

Back story:

I often cancel by nonpayment, a common LET user thing to do, and I always go back and pay what I owed them later. Usually it’s between $50 and $200. This time it was well over $1000. I paid it but holy fuck, imagine owing that for a budget VPS you thought had been terminated. Even more annoying that I submitted a cancellation notice after that, and they just immediately sent the next bill to their debt collector.

Same with @PHP_Friends , to top it off. Account with Php Friends no longer exists. It's a nightmare lol.
    Though I liked their service, but this whole debt collector thing is a pain.

• Don't worry they only collect if you pay, don't be afraid for a piece of paper.

• @jar said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    warning:

Additional warning:

Back story:

As long as you carefully understand the content of his contract, you can easily cancel the machine without sending an email. You can cancel it on the ccp console. The main thing is to pay attention to whether your contract is paid monthly or annually, and then cancel it 31 days in advance.

Thanked by 1jar
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2023

@boringHustler said:
    Same with @PHP_Friends , to top it off. Account with Php Friends no longer exists. It's a nightmare lol.

Thanks for your feedback. I wanna point out a few things:

• We are, and never have been, a prepaid provider. As everything, this has its advantages and disadvantages. Contract-based hosting has been the standard in at least the last 15 years in Germany, that's when we started by ourselves. This might be one of the reasons why hosting in Germany is insanely cheap, but I'm not sure. It gives us the possibility to plan with constant income though which is part of the calculation.
    • We are not just "not prepaid", we are actually postpaid. We send invoices at the first and the last day of a month. For the majority of our customers, it's what they want, as they don't have to deal with 20 invoices for 20 servers and so on. Furthermore, at least as a business customer (which generate > 50% of our revenue), you really really really don't want to add credit to your account, renew your services one by one, and be taken offline if you forget to pay. Notice that there was a time before we operated our own network / routing, colocation and so on; we have also been a customer of prepaid hosting companies in the early days and from that perspective, it's awful.
    • We are aware of the fact that a lot of hosting companies outside of Germany / Europe consider prepaid hosting as the default, but German customers do not. This leads to the problem described in the point before - we are literally screwed if we shut down or even delete services of customers which simply don't expect that to happen if they are late with their payment. There are a million legitimate reasons to be late with your payment and we would've been in serious trouble more than once if we treated everything like a prepaid service (oh, and of course we would've violated our own Terms of Service / contracts).
    • We are transparent about the fact that we work with "regular" contracts in the ToS, the website itself, our e-mails, … Also, receiving an invoice only once per month regardless how many services you have should be a strong indicator that you are currently not working with a prepaid provider. It will be understandable that we don't offer any free hosting, that's why prepaid providers send the invoice days before the next billing term even begins - while we send it way after it begun.
    • As you said "Same with @PHP_Friends", I wanna point out particularly that this is wrong regarding the quoted aspect. We do absolutely cancel customers if they don't pay anymore. Not after a few days as for the mentioned reasons, but after 6-8 weeks of non-payment you will be kicked by our accounting. You might not know it, but in Germany, we even pay taxes on outstanding invoices as they count as profit (till they are written off as bad debt loss after some time), so we want to keep the number of outstandings low of course.
    • https://avoro.eu/en/ is our prepaid label and everyone can enjoy our support, services and products as prepaid option. We don't "force" anyone, you will always have the choice. Even the instant dedicated servers have become prepaid just a few weeks ago. Fun fact: From time to time, some customers switch from Avoro to PHP-Friends (not manually, we can do that for you!) as they forget to pay their invoices and want to go back to a good old contract with one invoice per month. Of course there are also customers switching from PHP-Friends to Avoro for the "same" reason.

Best Regards,
    Tim

• netcup has been meh lately, their hardware is kind of outdated/oversold

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

This is 2023, there are literally no more excuses for late payments. 99% of all providers now have PayPal Billing Agreements, Credit Card, PayPal Subscriptions, even Coinbase offers subscriptions for crypto to providers. All the above options offer auto pay!

Don't want your CC out there in some strange providers panel, great, do a Paypal billing agreement or subscription, and keep your CC in Paypal.

Its 2023, there is literally no excuse anymore for late payments with the technology we have.

We even offer ACH for some business-class customers. Literally no excuse anymore.

@PHP_Friends said:

• As you said "Same with @PHP_Friends", I wanna point out particularly that this is wrong regarding the quoted aspect. We do absolutely cancel customers if they don't pay anymore. Not after a few days as for the mentioned reasons, but after 6-8 weeks of non-payment you will be kicked by our accounting. You might not know it, but in Germany, we even pay taxes on outstanding invoices as they count as profit (till they are written off as bad debt loss after some time), so we want to keep the number of outstandings low of course.

Best Regards,
    Tim

It's not my place to judge or tell anyone how to run their business.
    But you see the irony, right?

The bill cannot be paid because the account is closed, and you have a debt collector giving you headache.

And it's not 6-8 weeks. ;)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    edited October 2023

@boringHustler said:

@PHP_Friends said:

Best Regards,
    Tim

It's not my place to judge or tell anyone how to run their business.
    But you see the irony, right?

The bill cannot be paid because the account is closed, and you have a debt collector giving you headache.

Please send me your e-mail via PM, so we can have a look, I dont know who you are :)

• Questionable billing practices. Not the first time. People whonl sign up - deserve this.

@boringHustler said:

We usually don't close accounts if you don’t ask for it. Esspecially not for non-payment.

It is. :)

• @LTniger said:
    Questionable billing practices. Not the first time. People whonl sign up - deserve this.

I think that netcup states the regarding information correctly on their website. With non-prepaid service, they can plan with incomes and provide excelent services at an unbeatable price. I don't tried PHPFriends service but regarding the YABS results and LET experiences they have the same logic as netcup. It is acceptable for someone and not acceptable for someone. I can accept these billing rules if I got better service than the pre-paid ones for example Contabo, DigitalOcean and same others. So I think when you need services for predictable longer time than a month, netcup and PHPFriends unbeatable in the EU.

• Cores are not dedicated but RAM and storage are quite competitive compared to Hetzner.

• @PHP_Friends said:

@boringHustler said:

Thanks for your feedback. I wanna point out a few things:

Just logged in to write a real story about your company.

• We are aware of the fact that a lot of hosting companies outside of Germany / Europe consider prepaid hosting as the default, but German customers do not.

If your customer isn't from Germany then why you're trying to send a collection agency to steal the money for the service that was terminated?

I don't have any other word than steal because if the service is terminated, why the heck I should pay for it via a collection agency?

Is that hard to agree on something?

This leads to the problem described in the point before - we are literally screwed if we shut down or even delete services of customers.

You're terminating the service after the "post-paid" is over so don't lie.

• We are transparent about the fact that we work with "regular" contracts in the ToS, the website itself, our e-mails, …

It's only in Germany someone might care about a contract but when you're from another country your contract is just useless.

Go look for clients in Germany, I don't trust you and don't give a shit about your collection agency.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited October 2023

The reason you see these billing practices in Germany is because it’s a low-context culture.

Germans are generally very specific and contractual.

A perfect example of this is German hosts describing paying for things as “pre-paying” — doesn’t mean it’s shady. It’s just cultural differences.

Thanked by 2loay Peppery9
  • @SirFoxy said: Germans are generally very specific and contractual.

Agree, and this is why you will not get deadpooled from a German provider.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy sillycat

@alexvolk said:
    If your customer isn't from Germany then why you're trying to send a collection agency to steal the money for the service that was terminated?

To get paid for the time we provided you with the service..? :D It's not that hard to understand, really.

I have no idea what you mean, but I think most of the readers here will be able to determine who's lying and who's not.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited October 2023

I think some users overreact over non prepaid services,I think the main issue is some users don't read terms before agreeing to them e.g minimal term, cancellation notice etc or if they did don't care.

After some time when they no longer want the service don't bother canceling via the required method or submit the needed cancellation notice in time they just stop payment eg cancel PayPal billing agreements or ignore invoices.

I got a few services with provider that uses contracts including @PHP_Friends and in the past NetCups I don't have any issues with the way they do billing or cancellations I agreed to the terms when signing up to the service.

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • @Razza said: some user overreact

Usually Chinese and Americans

@Razza said:
    I think some users overreact over non prepaid services,I think the main issue is some users don't read terms before agreeing to them e.g minimal term, cancellation notice etc or if they did don't care.
    I got a few services with provider that uses contracts including @PHP_Friends and in the past NetCups I don't have any issues with the way they do billing or cancellations I agreed to the terms when signing up to the service.

Right tried WebTropia once. To cancel their services, you need to literally fax them, else they don't cancel the contract, doesn't matter how many times you send them a ticket.

So, I told them, I'll have to file a chargeback, because I am not going to go out, find a fax machine to cancel a $10 subscription. Worked like a charm.

• @boringHustler said: boringHustler

Did you send your email to @PHP_Friends?

• @PHP_Friends said:

@alexvolk said:

To get paid for the time we provided you with the service..? :D It's not that hard to understand, really.

I have no idea what you mean, but I think most of the readers here will be able to determine who's lying and who's not.

Maybe the time is a bit low with14 days to terminate. 3months should be common.

• @Razza said:

After some time when they no longer want the service don't bother canceling via the required method or submit the needed cancellation notice in time they just stop payment eg cancel PayPal billing agreements or ignore invoices.

Contracts have been made ever. Prepaid came the early 2010s, because many wanted to spend directly without bother every month about the payment.

• German contracts and taxes…..
    Does this topic even mention bw?

• Hetzner is from Germany. And with them there is no such bs. The answer is clear.

• @LTniger said:
    Hetzner is from Germany. And with them there is no such bs. The answer is clear.

They adapted to the market and started adding English wiki and stuff like that some years ago