Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

racknerd will forcibly replace my IP (everyone in LA datacenter) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

racknerd will forcibly replace my IP (everyone in LA datacenter)

13»

Comments

• @yodo said:
    Ahh... This IP address change broke my docker, i've now spent hours on stackoverflow trying to find a solution, with no luck -- all of their suggestions haven't worked.

When I run docker-compose I now get:

"ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST environment variable."

Anyone else in the same boat and manage to find a solution?

I just have to ask the obvious question here, is your docker daemon running?
    I can assure you that racknerd did not change the ip of localhost.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited October 2023

@yodo said:
    Ahh... This IP address change broke my docker, i've now spent hours on stackoverflow trying to find a solution, with no luck -- all of their suggestions haven't worked.

When I run docker-compose I now get:

"ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST environment variable."

Anyone else in the same boat and manage to find a solution?

I've tried sending racknerd a ticket, but got an unhelpful -- we provide an unmanaged service response. I'm fine with that as long as you don' t break my setup by changing my ip address.

It would have been nice to also be given a specific date and time so I could change my domains to point to the new address (and the new IP in advance).

Since your VPS IP is changed, it is likely that the Docker daemon is now running at a different location. To fix this, you can set the DOCKER_HOST environment variable to the URL of the Docker daemon.

To do this, open a terminal window and run the following command:

export DOCKER_HOST=tcp://your new ip here:2375
    Replace with the IP address of your new VPS.

Once you have set the DOCKER_HOST environment variable, you should be able to run docker-compose without any errors.

• THE PURGE HAS BEGUN!

• @Thundas said:

Since your VPS IP is changed, it is likely that the Docker daemon is now running at a different location. To fix this, you can set the DOCKER_HOST environment variable to the URL of the Docker daemon.

To do this, open a terminal window and run the following command:

export DOCKER_HOST=tcp://your new ip here:2375
    Replace with the IP address of your new VPS.

Once you have set the DOCKER_HOST environment variable, you should be able to run docker-compose without any errors.

Thanks for that tip, unfortunately that didn't fix it for me. Docker dameon was running but it still kept coming up errors.

In case anyone else is having the same problem, what did fix it for me was to uninstall and reinstall docker as per the instructions here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/ubuntu/ Using their uninstall instructions and re-installing using apt.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Those kind of situations are quite frequent since most providers started using IPXO as IP rental platform, instead of dealing directly with the LIRs.

Not saying that this is the same situation, but I've seen an increase of IP renumbering among providers after IPXO dreamed about unicorns and started charging LIRs extra fees for using their platform.

A lot of LIRs just stopped offering services there and, therefore, the provider had to drop the subnet => IP renumbering.

• My IP was changed yesterday. The new IP address was clean and not on any blacklists. Emails back up and working after about an hour after updating DNS.

• For me, it is a good news. My first ip address is in a email blacklist. After this change, I got a new and clean ip address for free. I like it. However, it doesn't mean that changing ip frequently is suitable. You VPS provider can only change it for unavoidable occurrence. I also use VPS from RN as production machine, so I know it is a annoying thing to update DNS record.

• Neither my old or new IP were on any mail blacklists. The only annoying thing for me was the timing, as it happened at 8pm UK time on Friday and even though I'd done all the prep work like dropping the TTL down to 60 seconds, I wasn't able to get in front of my computer to update to the new IP until Sunday afternoon.