Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

racknerd will forcibly replace my IP (everyone in LA datacenter) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

racknerd will forcibly replace my IP (everyone in LA datacenter)

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

EdgeCentres aren't present in BGP by that name. Whats their ASN?

To me the IPv4 massive sale looks like they bought multacom because it has 3M ips and are selling most. As per the recent capital raise I don't see how they could afford Multacom. This smells. But that's just me.

/offtopic

Thanked by 1fluffernutter
  • sivesive Member, Host Rep

Its always a risk when leasing that they can just pull their block from you; I'm leasing a /24 from Fran since I can't finance a $10k block up from but any further blocks from now will be directly from ARIN instead of allocated.

• :/ My virmach VPS has changed IP 5 times. Some of my firewalls are customized based on IP. I hope the hosting provider can maintain them for a long time.

• tentortentor Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

@hiphiphip0 said: Some of my firewalls are customized based on IP.

I believe you should opt in for VPN - it is way better in terms of security and maintainability. For example, you can configure wireguard to use hostnames and change IP addresses only at domain zone without messing at lots of configuration files across multiple servers.

• I will never change a customers IP without asking permission first.

• @kait said:
    I will never change a customers IP without asking permission first.

🙈

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • it's been 6 months with no downtime

• jcolidelesjcolideles Member
    edited September 2023

damn I did much effort to remove my ip from blacklist and make it clean for personal mail server usage. I even requested Microsoft to unblock it.

Thanked by 2skippy alilet
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2023

@jcolideles said:
    damn I did much effort to remove my ip from blacklist and make it clean for personal mail server usage. I even requested Microsoft to unblock it.

Amazon sends their regards.

I haven no idea of Telus as a leaser, they’re new to the game.

Francisco

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @Francisco said:

I haven no idea of Telus as a leaser, they’re new to the game.

Francisco

Telus the ISP I presume? They changed their public ip allocation for business customers. Use to be 5 random ip addresses that are set by MAC address on their end. Now they also have the option in providing a subnet of 5 ip addresses instead

Presume they picking up IP addresses for this purpose

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Salomon123 said: Telus the ISP I presume? They changed their public ip allocation for business customers. Use to be 5 random ip addresses that are set by MAC address on their end. Now they also have the option in providing a subnet of 5 ip addresses instead

Presume they picking up IP addresses for this purpose

Psychz is doing the same massive IP renumbering. The Telus ranges that Psychz got were allocated in 2012~2014.

Francisco

• @kait said:
    I will never change a customers IP without asking permission first.

lol

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited September 2023

@MikePT said: EdgeCentres aren't present in BGP by that name. Whats their ASN?

From their site I could found Edge started business in 2021 and growing rapidly in US by acquiring and new building facilities and they tend to have 20 facilities in 3 years in US as per the news published on their site.

But their website edgecenters.com is hosted with Multacom since 2015-2003.
    So they use Multacom ASN for their own company site.

• @Francisco said: Amazon sends their regards.

I'm curios to know about this: If a provider sells their IP subnet and we, the client, now see the buyer of the subnet as Parent IP owner, and the host provider as Re-assigned IP owner, then in such situation does it means the original host provider sold IP to Parent and now renting/leasing it from them (and paying Parent owner the money)? Or Parent allows usage of some IPs to this newly Re-assigned owner for free?

• @jcolideles said:

I even requested begged Microsoft to unblock it.

• linuxdevlinuxdev Member
    edited September 2023

it is probably a high time to sell your ipv4 ranges (if you are a company that is). Supply is low, AWS just started charging 40$ a year per ipv4 whether used or not - so price you get should be pretty good.

but also - ipv6 support and adoption is climbing fast: https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

I can probably just use ipv6-only for my websites? I should give it a try. Ofc not all providers/DCs support ipv6 either.

• @linuxdev said: it is probably a high time to sell your ipv4 ranges (if you are a company that is). Supply is low, AWS just started charging 40$ a year per ipv4 whether used or not - so price you get should be pretty good.

https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales Prices have dropped a lot sinds the crazy covid times. No idea why AWS is charging so much.

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2023

There is no way to protect against this if you don't own the range.
    Even providers which are owning their ranges might have to renumber in some situations since the IPs are expensive and obsolete products on obsolete servers make some VLANs underutilized to a point where it is no longer feasible.
    IPv6 solves this issue, tolerance to wastage there is much-much higher.

• If running as mail server,changing the IP address is really headache,as you need some time to warm up and build up good IP raputation.
    For the new IP sending to yahoo and etc,always retun 450,even less than 20 emails per day,but for good IP raputation,even hundreds of email per day is no problem. You need time to check and remove all RBL,and contact to ask unblock the IP. All takes time.For Barracuda,sometimes it is hard to remove,they always disregard you request.Even you send zero spams,thay always blocked /24 range.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@JasonM said:

@MikePT said: EdgeCentres aren't present in BGP by that name. Whats their ASN?

From their site I could found Edge started business in 2021 and growing rapidly in US by acquiring and new building facilities and they tend to have 20 facilities in 3 years in US as per the news published on their site.

But their website edgecenters.com is hosted with Multacom since 2015-2003.
    So they use Multacom ASN for their own company site.

Makes sense, the IP's alone though, are worth so much.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @kait said: https://auctions.ipv4.global/prior-sales Prices have dropped a lot sinds the crazy covid times. No idea why AWS is charging so much.

ha interesting. Can a private citizen just buy like 10 ip addresses at those prices? Would have been cool.

• @linuxdev said: ha interesting. Can a private citizen just buy like 10 ip addresses at those prices? Would have been cool.

Nah, sadly but with good reasons you need to buy a whole /24 if you want to own it. But yeah, if you have 10k you can buy a whole /24 as a private citizen. (but you won't be private anymore because the people that manage the IP's want a full dox and put it online :()

Thanked by 1linuxdev
  • Don't worry, everything will get better.

• @tentor said:
    I believe you should opt in for VPN - it is way better in terms of security and maintainability. For example, you can configure wireguard to use hostnames and change IP addresses only at domain zone without messing at lots of configuration files across multiple servers.

Thanks for the suggestion! Push me to learn new things. I found this:
    https://www.baeldung.com/linux/allowing-traffic-from-dynamic-ip-address
    It would be great if there was a cloud-based IP list management service.
    Then it occurred to me that an SPF record is exactly a list of IPs.
    #!/bin/bash

# Set the path to the UFW application
    UFW_CMD=/usr/sbin/ufw

# Set the SSH port
    SSH_PORT=22

# Get the SPF record from spf.example.com
    SPF_RECORD=$(dig +short txt spf.example.com | grep -oE 'ip[46]:[^\s]+')

# Allow SSH access for each IP in the SPF record
    for IP in $SPF_RECORD; do
        $UFW_CMD allow from $IP to any port $SSH_PORT proto tcp
    done

# Reload UFW to apply the changes
    $UFW_CMD reload

• jonbeardjonbeard Member, Patron Provider

In the end, is it uncommon? No. Is it a pain in the butt for both customers and hosting providers? Yes. I’m sure this was not an overnight decision made and a lot of thought and processes went into this.

• this sucks :(

• I reached out to them i have about 5 vps's, 4 are in production with paying customers using wireguard between the nodes. I really didn't want nodes going down randomly and having a week spread. Racknerd engineering team gave me two options, use ipv6 temporarily or move my vps's to a new host that is using the new ipv4, so i did #2, and they worked with my timeline which was really awesome of them. So I was able to do them all at once. I have 2 nodes that will be done in november and those use DNS so i'll be changing my DNS TTL to be lower beforehand. I was down maybe 20 minutes while i was reconfiguring ufw and wireguard connections.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@scotticles said:
    I reached out to them i have about 5 vps's, 4 are in production with paying customers using wireguard between the nodes. I really didn't want nodes going down randomly and having a week spread. Racknerd engineering team gave me two options, use ipv6 temporarily or move my vps's to a new host that is using the new ipv4, so i did #2, and they worked with my timeline which was really awesome of them. So I was able to do them all at once. I have 2 nodes that will be done in november and those use DNS so i'll be changing my DNS TTL to be lower beforehand. I was down maybe 20 minutes while i was reconfiguring ufw and wireguard connections.

Hi @scotticles -- Appreciate your continued business with us! Glad to hear all went smooth and that you were able to find a solution with the Engineering team prior to the IP renumbering project starting. We are making progress in a positive way -- customers have been understanding, and appreciative of our commitment to provide solid service with awesome customer support. We’ll continue to work with all customers and do our best to accommodate :)

• Ahh... This IP address change broke my docker, i've now spent hours on stackoverflow trying to find a solution, with no luck -- all of their suggestions haven't worked.

When I run docker-compose I now get:

"ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST environment variable."

Anyone else in the same boat and manage to find a solution?

I've tried sending racknerd a ticket, but got an unhelpful -- we provide an unmanaged service response. I'm fine with that as long as you don' t break my setup by changing my ip address.

It would have been nice to also be given a specific date and time so I could change my domains to point to the new address (and the new IP in advance).

• Change of IP is not that uncommon (for low-tier services) especially during migrations. I remember while working at a company, we decided to migrate to a different VPS management system and because of compatibility issues, we had to change the majority of the IPs.