Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex blocking Hetzner? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex blocking Hetzner?

13»

Comments

• hacktekhacktek Member
    edited September 2023

@sreekanth850 said:

@hacktek said:

@tjn said:

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Yea but why would plex really care

From what I've understood, they're trying to become an ad supported streaming service and I can't imagine it's easy to get into distribution negotations if 90% of the people using your software is doing so to distribute content illegally.

Further as more and more of their services become cloud based, I think they're worried some massive holywood organisation will find a way to make them liable for distributing said content.

@sillycat said:
    This can be bypassed by any VPN; you don't need to port forward for Plex to work. (afaik) (worked without it for me)

Some users on Reddit claim to have received the same notices, even though they are full self-hosting, but have Plex behind a VPN - so it seems they're going to try blocking DC VPN ranges too.

This whole thing is extremely annoying for those that host their servers in the cloud but don't sell access to them.

of course they're going to block DC ranges

they can't block the entire internet though, and providers will just get around it with residential IPs

Netflix lost that battle years ago

you can probably get around this right now by just using your provider's Netflix server, most just use ever rotating pools of residential IPs and don't stick around the same IPs for long

Did anybody tested with cloudflare warp?

cloudflare warp still forwards your IP to the origin

edit: actually, looks like I'm wrong, they used to do this but I guess they changed it at some point

https://blog.cloudflare.com/geoexit-improving-warp-user-experience-larger-network/

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited September 2023

@hacktek said: edit: actually, looks like I'm wrong, they used to do this but I guess they changed it at some point

Yes. Your public ip is now getting masked. i hope even for torrenting warp can be used, which is easy to setup on a linux box.

• @hacktek said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@hacktek said:

@tjn said:

@BruhGamer12 said:
    Yea but why would plex really care

From what I've understood, they're trying to become an ad supported streaming service and I can't imagine it's easy to get into distribution negotations if 90% of the people using your software is doing so to distribute content illegally.

Further as more and more of their services become cloud based, I think they're worried some massive holywood organisation will find a way to make them liable for distributing said content.

@sillycat said:
    This can be bypassed by any VPN; you don't need to port forward for Plex to work. (afaik) (worked without it for me)

Some users on Reddit claim to have received the same notices, even though they are full self-hosting, but have Plex behind a VPN - so it seems they're going to try blocking DC VPN ranges too.

This whole thing is extremely annoying for those that host their servers in the cloud but don't sell access to them.

of course they're going to block DC ranges

they can't block the entire internet though, and providers will just get around it with residential IPs

Netflix lost that battle years ago

you can probably get around this right now by just using your provider's Netflix server, most just use ever rotating pools of residential IPs and don't stick around the same IPs for long

Did anybody tested with cloudflare warp?

cloudflare warp still forwards your IP to the origin

edit: actually, looks like I'm wrong, they used to do this but I guess they changed it at some point

https://blog.cloudflare.com/geoexit-improving-warp-user-experience-larger-network/

Yep, they stopped with that

They even indicated that they’re now a VPN

But said that they prefer not calling it a VPN because they want it to go mainstream, and they wrote that selling the idea of signing up for a service to (on average) get slower speeds (what a VPN is known for) is not something they want to be associated with

Thanked by 2hacktek rafaelscs
  • @emgh said: But said that they prefer not calling it a VPN because they want it to go mainstream, and they wrote that selling the idea of signing up for a service to (on average) get slower speeds (what a VPN is known for) is not something they want to be associated with

Speed is lesser. I have a 100 mbps fiber and when i use warp I'm getting around 70 to 80 mbps.

• @sreekanth850 said:

@emgh said: But said that they prefer not calling it a VPN because they want it to go mainstream, and they wrote that selling the idea of signing up for a service to (on average) get slower speeds (what a VPN is known for) is not something they want to be associated with

Speed is lesser. I have a 100 mbps fiber and when i use warp I'm getting around 70 to 80 mbps.

Hmmm, then what are the benefits of Warp that make you choose it over any other (more privacy-friendly) VPN?

Thanked by 1alilet
  • @sillycat said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@emgh said: But said that they prefer not calling it a VPN because they want it to go mainstream, and they wrote that selling the idea of signing up for a service to (on average) get slower speeds (what a VPN is known for) is not something they want to be associated with

Hmmm, then what are the benefits of Warp that make you choose it over any other (more privacy-friendly) VPN?

my geolocation is almost accurate which allow me to browse internet as usual using warp.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @sreekanth850 said:

@sillycat said:

@sreekanth850 said:

my geolocation is almost accurate which allow me to browse internet as usual using warp.

Why use Warp or any VPN if you're not trying to hide your location?

• The absurdity of this matter is that the copyright holders are taking advantage of an easy target. They could directly request Hetzner to stop providing services that violate copyright requirements (they have been doing this for pirated BT resources), but asking Plex to stop this behavior is like banning the player itself - because the player plays pirated content.

Let's think about Quan9 not long ago, Sony Music demanded DNS service providers to stop DNS resolution because they couldn't catch pirated music websites. It is shameful that if Quan9 didn't comply, they would not be able to operate normally.

If the fight against copyright infringement appears in this way, it is as absurd as randomly shooting in a crowded street - with the reason of protecting everyone from attacks by criminals.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Warp is great.

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited September 2023

@sillycat said: Why use Warp or any VPN if you're not trying to hide your location?

I already mentioned, iam using vpn for different purpose. 1. Don't like my ISP to spy on me (warp encrypt all data transfer) and 2. hide my real ip for an extra layer of protection.

Thanked by 2emgh sillycat
  • Without Warp my ping in CS official servers often 1 ms.

With it, often 0 ms.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@danblaze said:
    The absurdity of this matter is that the copyright holders are taking advantage of an easy target. They could directly request Hetzner to stop providing services that violate copyright requirements (they have been doing this for pirated BT resources), but asking Plex to stop this behavior is like banning the player itself - because the player plays pirated content.

Let's think about Quan9 not long ago, Sony Music demanded DNS service providers to stop DNS resolution because they couldn't catch pirated music websites. It is shameful that if Quan9 didn't comply, they would not be able to operate normally.

If the fight against copyright infringement appears in this way, it is as absurd as randomly shooting in a crowded street - with the reason of protecting everyone from attacks by criminals.

When you upset enough people with enough money, the only thing truly off limits is whatever you enjoy doing.

Thanked by 1Smith42
  • MoofieMoofie Member
    edited September 2023

looks like linus tech tips mentioned the lowendbox article about this in their wan show

• @danblaze said:
    The absurdity of this matter is that the copyright holders are taking advantage of an easy target. They could directly request Hetzner to stop providing services that violate copyright requirements (they have been doing this for pirated BT resources), but asking Plex to stop this behavior is like banning the player itself - because the player plays pirated content.

Even though Plex may be covered by safe harbor, they don't have the funds to go against the Hollywood mafia. Plex could get sued and get dragged through lawsuits for years to the point they simply file for bankruptcy and close. Or they could simply do whatever it takes to appease the mafia and run a completely legal, small streaming business with a fraction of the revenue, but avoid millions in legal fees for the coming years.

Hetzner, and similar hosts being in EU, are more difficult targets. Remember Napster and Morpheus? I know these were p2p apps but they were still covered by safe harbor as no copyrighted data was stored on their servers, but they basically were pushed to the point of bankruptcy by Hollywood.

We are witnessing the beginning of the end of Plex and perhaps even Emby.

Thanked by 1jfreak53
  • sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited September 2023

Those who use alternative, self hosted solutions like Jellyfin, should consider donating to the project.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Haha what if Hetzner sued Plex for this?

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@sunnyg said:
    Those who use alternative, self hosted solutions like Jellyfin, should consider donating to the project.

I (and I guess 99 % of users) SUCK at this

Easy to forget that even small amounts (most of us can spare 5-10 bucks) goes A LONG WAY if enough people commit often enough

I'll donate

Edit:

Seems like they got a lot more donations than they need for now?

https://opencollective.com/jellyfin

Or am I reading it wrong?

Better to donate to some other OS project maybe

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@emgh said:

@sunnyg said:

I (and I guess 99 % of users) SUCK at this

Easy to forget that even small amounts (most of us can spare 5-10 bucks) goes A LONG WAY if enough people commit often enough

I'll donate

Edit:

Seems like they got a lot more donations than they need for now?

https://opencollective.com/jellyfin

Or am I reading it wrong?

Better to donate to some other OS project maybe

That's why I appreciate GitHub sponsorships, makes it so easy to support open source devs with a billing profile I already have going.

Thanked by 2Erisa emgh
  • @jar said: That's why I appreciate GitHub sponsorships, makes it so easy to support open source devs with a billing profile I already have going.

I love donating a little to FOSS projects I use for free.

Thanked by 1jar
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@cybertech said: just keep Plex private innit

Yapp, or host in on LET providers, as they are not banned, LOL. :smile:

• tjntjn Member
    edited September 2023

@host_c said:

Quality of the network, location, and $/TB is often hard to beat at Hetzner.
    I've got 2x 500gb SSD + 2x 8TB and 64 GB ECC RAM for something like €50/month.

Edit: oh and I don't have to worry about power consumption and replacing failed drives

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

@tjn said:

@host_c said:

Quality of the network, location, and $/TB is often hard to beat at Hetzner.
    I've got 2x 500gb SSD + 2x 8TB and 64 GB ECC RAM for something like €50/month.

Edit: oh and I don't have to worry about power consumption and replacing failed drives

It's impossible to beat hetzner server offer