Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex blocking Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex blocking Hetzner?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited September 2023 in General

Looks interesting: https://reddit.com/r/selfhosted/s/gXClXwWRPz

It's unclear to me at the moment what the details are, but Hetzner looks to be the common link. This is a pretty big deal, I could see a whole lot of you cancelling servers as a result.

Thanked by 3caracal Abd RIYAD

Comments

• It certainly appears Plex is targeting Hetzner, looks like widespread abuse on there networks, to many complaints, similar to the IPTV crackdowns going on.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Wonder which part of their TOS this involves?

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@caracal said:
    Wonder which part of their TOS this involves?

People seem to be theorizing that it's related to people selling access to plex servers packed with pirated content.

• @jar said:

@caracal said:

People seem to be theorizing that it's related to people selling access to plex servers packed with pirated content.

Yeah, seems to be the consensus from reading OGF and Reddit. From that lens it makes the email hilarious — “if you’re sharing pirated content pls do it from another server or at home”

Thanked by 2jar default
  • @jar said: People seem to be theorizing that it's related to people selling access to plex servers packed with pirated content.

It's clear.

Due to the large-scale violations occurring from that hosting provider, we will be taking action soon to block access and activity from Plex Media Servers hosted by that provider.

• @caracal said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

Yeah, seems to be the consensus from reading OGF and Reddit. From that lens it makes the email hilarious — “if you’re sharing pirated content pls do it from another server or at home”

you forgot the "kthxbai" at the end :wink:

Thanked by 1caracal
  • @jar said:

@caracal said:

Yea but why would plex really care

• @BruhGamer12 said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

To not end like Kodi did. Raped by copyright cartell.

• Good thing that my media server doesn’t report what I’m running it on back to the devs!

• Jellyfin + Infuse = ❤️

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @emgh said: Jellyfin + Infuse = ❤️

Jellyfin + Hetzner + Indrive = ❤️

I use Kodi with Jellyfin plugin on Raspberry Pi 3 and the native apps.

• I never tried Plex. even though there is lots of discussion about it. I really need to make time and try this thing.

• @LTniger said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

what happened to kodi

• so their plan is to block datacenter IP ranges? they clearly didn't learn from Netflix doing that for years and failing at it, every mainstream VPN has an option to bypass that blocking so I'm anticipating that bypassing Plex blocks will become a differentiating factor for VPNs soon lol

• @Otus9051 said:

@LTniger said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

what happened to kodi

Kodi destroyed by plugin developers selling "fully loaded" kodi boxes on amazon. Kodi was pwned by maffia and banned majority of plugins for iptv. This broght them catastrophic fall of users and development stagnation. They are dead.

• @LTniger said:

@Otus9051 said:

@LTniger said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

what happened to kodi

Kodi destroyed by plugin developers selling "fully loaded" kodi boxes on amazon. Kodi was pwned by maffia and banned majority of plugins for iptv. This broght them catastrophic fall of users and development stagnation. They are dead.

Same thing will happen to Plex if it goes this route. Meanwhile VPNs will increase sales because they will add Plex connections as a feature.

• emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@loay said:

@emgh said: Jellyfin + Infuse = ❤️

Jellyfin + Hetzner + Indrive = ❤️

I use Kodi with Jellyfin plugin on Raspberry Pi 3 and the native apps.

Though about cancelling Infuse to save some money

Previously it was absolutely needed for me, because of the Jellygin app’s webview player needing to transcode everything

Now with the beta native player that can be enabled in settings, streaming isn’t impossible without Infuse anymore

Edit: Nope, a buggy mess, Infuse it is, at least until its out of beta

Thanked by 1itsgoingdown
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited September 2023

@LTniger said:

@Otus9051 said:

@LTniger said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@jar said:

@caracal said:

what happened to kodi

Jellyfin-Kodi plugin makes Kodi relevant again, no shite web UIs or transcoding

If someone ever resurrects Kodi DSPlayer there will be no better media software. All Kodi is missing is the likes of madVR

• Kodi UI stuck in 99 tho

Thanked by 1itsgoingdown
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

That sucks.

• Stop using Hetzner, get a server at home.

Thanked by 1Jake4
  • Good, I hope they go through with it. It'll bring the auction prices way down again.

• This could probably be bypassed by using a VPN with port forwarding (like AirVPN)?

• @Daniel15 said:
    This could probably be bypassed by using a VPN with port forwarding (like AirVPN)?

This can be bypassed by any VPN; you don't need to port forward for Plex to work. (afaik) (worked without it for me)

• that is correct

their implementation appears to just be to block from those source IPs, so gluetun your container and be on your merry way until you're blocked again

repeat ad infinitum

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Isn't plex auth mechanism doesn't require internet access to watch movies even if server is local? I mean to register new plex instance, you must go online and at that moment you get pwnd by plex.

• Try Stremio + Torrentio + RealDebrid. Cheap and you have literally all possible content at your disposal and max quality without having to download anything at all first.

• @vitobotta said: Try Stremio + Torrentio + RealDebrid. Cheap and you have literally all possible content at your disposal and max quality without having to download anything at all first.

I don't even use RealDebrid, Stremio + Torrentio is amazing though.

• just keep Plex private innit