Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Production Ready - VPS Providers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Production Ready - VPS Providers

Comments

• Racknerd, GreenCloud, server-factory.com

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2023

Well with all due respect but LET doesn't seem to be the right place wrt. production servers. There are a few really good providers but let's be realistic; there is only so much one can (reasonably) expect for $2, $5, or $7 per month ...

Also, there's psychology, e.g. @terrahost whom I consider a really fine provider sent me quite many "there is a problem" emails in the past weeks, so after all, they must be pretty bad, right? Nope, the way I see it, that's a sign of quality - and of an important one: honesty/transparency. Sh#t happens, no matter whether a billion $ company or a mid-size one; the question is (a) do they inform you?, and (b) are they capable of taking adequate and professional steps to solve the problem, preferably true 24/7 (as in "real staff, their own staff, and on location"), and (c) is redundancy in place wherever possible?

@Hybula is another example of a hoster I would trust with production servers. How about (a) their network manager isn't a pro, he is a super-pro and a guru, and (b) oh, btw, they've built and are running a significant IX (significant e.g. as in multiple well known 100Gb/s+ customers ...).

But of course neither one is super-extra-lowend cheap - but bloody worth every cent.

Not on the same level of course, but some super-cheap really good quality providers do exist on LET. @AlexBarakov / AlphaVPS is a good example with an office in the same building as the (serious) DC, quick response time, whole years with not a single minute of downtime, and all that at really low prices.

Some other LET providers I have a VPS with since > 1 year and have a very good experience with are @InceptionHosting (I dislike the guy but his servers are really good), @hosthatch (my server has no problems at all), @contabo_m (yes, some dislike them, but my servers run fine, fast, and reliably), @LiteServer (excellent reliability),
    and @NDTN greencloudvps with whom my experience is shorter but very good. (Probably I forgot a few).

Plus theoretically netCup; 'theoretically' because their VDS are great/bang per buck, but they seem to be bureaucratic ignorant a##holes.

So, for professional/business use I'd consider Hybula (insane connectivity + fast VPS), terrahost (all in all good and not too expensive plus honest), and LiteServer for backup/storage.

• My servers currently in production with:

PHP-Friends -> Currently more than 3 years old.

HostHatch - > More than 4 years. Everything is fine in NewYork: 3CPU, 16GB RAM, 80 NVMe, 20 TB :) I will also renew it.

BuyVm -> More than 4 years.

GreenCloudVPS -> More than 18 months and I will renew the 2 servers.

InceptionHosting -> More than 3 years. With 3 servers: 2 for storage that will be discontinued in the USA and the third I will not renew simply because I already have a replacement.

LittleCreekHosting -> More than 28 months and I will continue to renew.

RackNerd -> More than 3 years and I will continue to renew.

No LET with AWS Lightsail and Vultr.

• @jsg While I agree with basically everything above it might be worth noting (although I haven’t followed it for awhile) that TerraHost is owned by a company with huge debt (please correct me if that’s not the case anymore)

While I agree a company dosen’t have to be AWS-sized to be trustworthy, that might be worth digging into if they’re critical in anyones infrastructure

• I can vouch for @PHP_Friends , been with them for 4 years with no issues but had to leave them cause i need some powerful cpu performance with @speedypage . I just hope speedypage can last a long time.

• HostHatch, RackNerd and GreenCloud are all decent

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb NDTN
  • terrahost, ramnode, advinservers

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • I appreciate all the users who have commented on this Post.

Thanked by 1emgh
    • Hosthatch (SG), been my production server ~3 years, No shocking down, 0 tears.
    • Webhosting24 (SG), "production" self-hosted apps, almost hit ~2 years this month,
    Thanked by 2Deepak_leb nick_
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Been using Vultr, DigitalOcean & BuyVM for my personal & recommended them to my clients as well.

Vultr, rock solid services since 2016 (discontinued later as my project was finished)
    BuyVM, no issues since 2019 (recently I had to discontinue as the project was done)

Albeit it says VPS but BuyVM's Reseller hosting has been good since 2019 too. Never faced any issues.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • @ailice said:

• Hosthatch (SG), been my production server ~3 years, No shocking down, 0 tears.,

It was down for 1 hour yesterday https://status.hosthatch.com/

I have a production site that has been using HostHash for less than three months, and I'm really disappointed. In the first month, I got very high CPU steal (40% and above), which slowed down my application. Even though it says dedicated core and it's a non-promotional pack, I still received the first ticket response after a few days of opening the ticket! They solved it after 4-5 days. Everything worked perfectly for the last month, and I started relaxing. But yesterday I got one hour of downtime! I'm not getting the expected service from them.

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb kheng86
  • buyvm, littlecreek, SpeedyPage, contabo, virmach

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • frantech / buyvm

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
    edited September 2023

@emgh said:
    @jsg While I agree with basically everything above it might be worth noting (although I haven’t followed it for awhile) that TerraHost is owned by a company with huge debt (please correct me if that’s not the case anymore)

While I agree a company dosen’t have to be AWS-sized to be trustworthy, that might be worth digging into if they’re critical in anyones infrastructure

Sorry but I can't be of help in that regard because I'm just a customer and have no deeper insight. Yes, I seem to remember that I once or twice had a short discussion with the owner (R. Monster) but that was purely pragmatic plus iirc some niceties. Short what I wrote is (and can be) only based on my experience as a customer - which was really very good.

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb emgh
  • @GoFolk2000 said:
    terrahost, ramnode, advinservers

advinservers? for production? Are you serious?

Thanked by 3Deepak_leb emgh kheng86
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

@Sululu said:

@GoFolk2000 said:
    terrahost, ramnode, advinservers

advinservers? for production? Are you serious?

Can you please email me with any issues you've faced if you've used us before? It would help provide some feedback and context as to issues you've faced before so we can look at them and improve.

[email protected]

We've recently been spending and investing a LOT of money on upgrading both our hardware and our networks, resulting in major stability improvements. We've also been slowing down a bit, so ticket responses should be a lot quicker than what they were before.

• ailiceailice Member
    edited September 2023

@jobayer said:

Yeah it was, Its been awhile since last outage so its fine for me.

Regarding your issue, My ticket was answered on reasonable time about 24 hours less at least on my non-promotional package.

Maybe I just lucky with their services for years, until now I hope it keeps going much longer :D

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

@ailice said:

@jobayer said:

Yeah it was, Its been awhile since last outage so its fine for me.

Regarding your issue, My ticket was answered on reasonable time about 24 hours less at least on my non-promotional package.

Maybe I just lucky with their services for years, until now I hope it keeps going much longer :D

One occurance of downtime, or even two, means very little in the grand scheme of things

However, first impressions last and when you switch providers and get instant downtime, that makes the client (understandably) nervous for their rest of their journey with said provider

Thanked by 2jobayer ailice
  • OVH/KS and Racknerd

Both have been rock solid and consistent for me. Both are excellent value.

• jobayerjobayer Member
    edited September 2023

@emgh said:

However, first impressions last and when you switch providers and get instant downtime, that makes the client (understandably) nervous for their rest of their journey with said provider

You're absolutely right. That's why I'm worried. But I must say they have really powerful hardware. After their fixing, I have never seen any CPU stealing.

Thanked by 2emgh ailice
  • @jsg said:
    Well with all due respect but LET doesn't seem to be the right place wrt. production servers. There are a few really good providers but let's be realistic; there is only so much one can (reasonably) expect for $2, $5, or $7 per month ...

Also, there's psychology, e.g. @terrahost whom I consider a really fine provider sent me quite many "there is a problem" emails in the past weeks, so after all, they must be pretty bad, right? Nope, the way I see it, that's a sign of quality - and of an important one: honesty/transparency. Sh#t happens, no matter whether a billion $ company or a mid-size one; the question is (a) do they inform you?, and (b) are they capable of taking adequate and professional steps to solve the problem, preferably true 24/7 (as in "real staff, their own staff, and on location"), and (c) is redundancy in place wherever possible?

@Hybula is another example of a hoster I would trust with production servers. How about (a) their network manager isn't a pro, he is a super-pro and a guru, and (b) oh, btw, they've built and are running a significant IX (significant e.g. as in multiple well known 100Gb/s+ customers ...).

But of course neither one is super-extra-lowend cheap - but bloody worth every cent.

Not on the same level of course, but some super-cheap really good quality providers do exist on LET. @AlexBarakov / AlphaVPS is a good example with an office in the same building as the (serious) DC, quick response time, whole years with not a single minute of downtime, and all that at really low prices.

Some other LET providers I have a VPS with since > 1 year and have a very good experience with are @InceptionHosting (I dislike the guy but his servers are really good), @hosthatch (my server has no problems at all), @contabo_m (yes, some dislike them, but my servers run fine, fast, and reliably), @LiteServer (excellent reliability),
    and @NDTN greencloudvps with whom my experience is shorter but very good. (Probably I forgot a few).

Plus theoretically netCup; 'theoretically' because their VDS are great/bang per buck, but they seem to be bureaucratic ignorant a##holes.

So, for professional/business use I'd consider Hybula (insane connectivity + fast VPS), terrahost (all in all good and not too expensive plus honest), and LiteServer for backup/storage.

Using BuyVM in production for a few years now. With automatic failover to other BuyVM locations if a VM or VMs go down. It's been brilliant. The client is also very satisfied and it's very hands off with everything working.

I would recommend BuyVM for production usage if setup properly. No messing about with exorbitant AWS or Azure prices.

Would much rather setup a custom setup on BuyVM :)

Thank you @Francisco for your hard work over the years, appreciate it!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @MrLime said:

@jsg said:

Using BuyVM in production for a few years now. With automatic failover to other BuyVM locations if a VM or VMs go down. It's been brilliant. The client is also very satisfied and it's very hands off with everything working.

I would recommend BuyVM for production usage if setup properly. No messing about with exorbitant AWS or Azure prices.

Wait buyvm has failover ip and HA?

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • I love BuyVM and use them for hobby stuff (I only have 1 hobby server and its with them)

But, I’d never use it for production. Simply for one reason: stock

I honestly shouldn’t say never, it’s decent and if the project in question has low and stable resource requirements, it could work

But imagine being down and not being able to scale because of stock issues, for me personally, all stuff I host for production have to be able to scale

Thanked by 2bgerard Deepak_leb
  • @Thundas said:

@MrLime said:

@jsg said:

Wait buyvm has failover ip and HA?

Not really, they have Anycast IPs

Never used it but I think it’ll route the client to the cloest server that’s avaliable in your Anycast ”cluster”

Not really failover like at cloud providers where you can switch what server is allocated to what IP in seconds, based on application layer status

Thanked by 2Deepak_leb Thundas
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh said: Not really, they have Anycast IPs

Never used it but I think it’ll route the client to the cloest server that’s avaliable in your Anycast ”cluster”

Not really failover like at cloud providers where you can switch what server is allocated to what IP in seconds, based on application layer status

Users can request failover IP's and you can load balance on those and things like that. There's no 'HA' in the sense that we boot vm's on different hardware, but we have a few people making extensive use of floating ip's, as well as the new 'specific routing' we added to BGP some time ago.

Francisco

Thanked by 3emgh Deepak_leb Thundas
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Vultr, digitalocean, aws are prem..
    But it's always recommended to have ofsite backup in case of emergency and extra security

Regards,
    Onevirt.com | affordable vps

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • ThundasThundas Member
    edited September 2023

@Francisco said:

@emgh said: Not really, they have Anycast IPs

Users can request failover IP's and you can load balance on those and things like that. There's no 'HA' in the sense that we boot vm's on different hardware, but we have a few people making extensive use of floating ip's, as well as the new 'specific routing' we added to BGP some time ago.

Francisco

I see, thanks for the clarification, i thought buyvm now has automatic HA, but with failover ips, something similar can be accomplished with a little bit of time (regional HA instead of local HA). Just need to grab a couple of the US locations.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb

@MrLime said:

I myself didn't have a BuyVM VPS so far but I'm not at all surprised to hear that @Francisco runs a smooth operation.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb
  • Even though I have a personal site I use HyperExpert and I am with them for the last three years and they are very reliable.

• my buyvm, ramnode, racknerd, extravm, netcup, php-friends, are going fine as production-ready with highest uptime since last 5+ years.

Thanked by 1Deepak_leb