Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are we doing at LowEndBox? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are we doing at LowEndBox?

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2023

@jbiloh said:

@MannDude said: Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

We actually have this integration already built in. Do you think the community here on LowEndTalk would be open to that? Is the content published on LowEndBox now of acceptable quality where LETers would be OK with seeing threads cross posted on LET for discussion purposes?

I personally like the system Phoronix uses for comments — articles are tied to threads in a separate category on the forum for comments.

Added bonus: less spammy comments* as users have to post their (more well used) LET accounts.

Add an option to hide the category or collapse the threads and (I think) everyone will be happy.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • my 2 cents
    i dont care about LowEndBox at all, just visited this website saw it's white-mode and closed it. have better sources for tech stuff, reading is slow.

i use lowendstock when i need a quick deal (rarely)
    but mainly lowendtalk for popcorn, drama and RN deals/events

• @jbiloh said:

@rcy026 said:

@jbiloh said:

@rcy026 said:
    To be honest I've never looked at lowendbox, I go directly to lowendtalk.
    I'm just interested in the discussions and the occasional offer, and while the offers are still pretty good the level of the discussions have seriously deteriorated over the years.

Take a look at LowEndBox and let me know what you think? :)

First impression, the layout is horrible. Seriously, it looks like the kind of site you find trough a google search but immediately press the back button and try the next one instead.
    Read trough a couple of articles and kudos to the writers, they are well written and easy to read. Interesting topics for those in the hosting field, and it's written in an easy and fun way but still informative. Did not read enough to really say for sure, but first impression is that they are factual and impartial while still with a bit of humor, and that's not as easy as one might think. You get constantly annoyed by banners and flashing ad's, but you cant really blame the writers for that.

TLDR; good content, horrible presentation. Will not visit again.

Glad you liked the content!

Google revolutionized the entire ad industry when they realized that people prefer simple, non-intrusive text ads over big blinking gifs, and they have been number one ever since.
    You'd think others would have gotten the idea by now...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@doghouch said:

@jbiloh said:

@MannDude said: Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

We actually have this integration already built in. Do you think the community here on LowEndTalk would be open to that? Is the content published on LowEndBox now of acceptable quality where LETers would be OK with seeing threads cross posted on LET for discussion purposes?

I personally like the system Phoronix uses for comments — articles are tied to threads in a separate category on the forum for comments.

Added bonus: less spammy comments* as users have to post their (more well used) LET accounts.

Add an option to hide the category or collapse the threads and (I think) everyone will be happy.

I think arstechnica has something similar too. And it works very well.

• Is there any roadmap or plans for this platform? eg any changes to UI, any other community events?

• I like sirfoxy articles!

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@rasping5978 said:
    Is there any roadmap or plans for this platform? eg any changes to UI, any other community events?

Are you referring to LowEndTalk or LowEndBox?

• We need more dramas.

• @Hotmarer said:
    We need more dramas.

we just had o- User Involucrated Please Carry On

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
  • to be honest, I'd still love to see the community present at reddit (or any other alternative r/fuckspez compatible platform like lemmy/kbin/etc).

though, we tried once already, no luck so far ;)

• @jbiloh said:

@rasping5978 said:
    Is there any roadmap or plans for this platform? eg any changes to UI, any other community events?

Are you referring to LowEndTalk or LowEndBox?

Sorry for the confusion, would like to hear for both LowEndTalk and LowEndBox

• @jbiloh said:

@stefeman said:
    Havent checked it for years, to be honest.

What its supposed to even be nowdays?

Offers from dubious providers that were not legit enough to get provider tag in the past?
    News/Drama articles about recent stuff?
    Tutorials?
    All of the above?

You need to decide already lol.

Three years ago we pivoted away from an endless stream of low quality offers.

Now we feature better offers, plus news, opinion articles, tutorials, etc. I like our mix of content now and I think it provides value to our users.

Honestly, now it just looks like an endless stream of low quality offers interspersed with low quality listicles and the occasional hit piece designed to generate traffic.

In the process it's lost it's USP (as a good starting place if you want something ... well, low end) into another cookie cutter blog dripping with SEO. I'm sure your figures show great numbers, so maybe being something different doesn't sell advertising?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2023

I don't read LEB. I don't care about it either. In the end it is all about bilohbucks and I have a problem in understanding the purpose of such profits.

Thanked by 2Otus9051 sasslik
  • Declining rapidly. Catering to mobs and sub-human intellects.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • Don't read it. Not many reasons for it.

I'll admit I don't really enjoy having some of our new/recent guests on here. All welcome for you all to keep them around but they really are cramping this style and I'm about to bail if they continue to stick around.

Thanked by 3Otus9051 skorous netomx
  • For the longest time I only checked out LEB... and then one day discovered LET. I think the main, recent, reason, why I have stuck to LET and rarely go to LEB any more is LEB's approach of using large rectangular blocks for the content. On LET, it is nice and compact, easy to scroll and find what is interesting. There also seem to be waaayy more Providers on LEB whom I've just never heard of, and there are just so many, nonstop, always new ones. Makes it impossible to figure which will be solid and legit. At LET, the same core group keep coming up, and even as new ones come up the format of the forum makes it easy to see which are doing well and which are not, thereby helping me decide who to try next.

Thanked by 3MannDude tentor netomx
  • It looks more like you can invite everyone to pay $200 for a provider tag, but never tested any server of them. It starts to getting cheaper and cheaper, but the quality starts to suffer in many ways.

• @ChrisCantwell said:
    Declining rapidly. Catering to mobs and sub-human intellects.

mfw I expect serious feedback on my thoughts about homosexuality but instead receive a picture of me enjoying said activitites

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@ChrisCantwell said: Declining rapidly. Catering to mobs and sub-human intellects.

Oh, really?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @emgh said:

@ChrisCantwell said:
    Declining rapidly. Catering to mobs and sub-human intellects.

mfw I expect serious feedback on my thoughts about homosexuality but instead receive a picture of me enjoying said activitites

i would also like that picture thank you

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2023

Can't believe you guys didn't ban old Cant-do-well 🤣

LEB is generating conversation and that doesn't happen too often anymore. All impressions matter.

Thanked by 2Otus9051 neverain
  • @jar said:

LEB is generating conversation and that doesn't happen too often anymore. All impressions matter.

Didn't know that dude existed until yesterday. Or either that he was easily forgettable.

Regardless. That guy just needs to get a life.

Thanked by 3jar Otus9051 emgh
  • @HalfEatenPie said:

@jar said:

Didn't know that dude existed until yesterday. Or either that he was easily forgettable.

Saw his blog and his telegram (thanks to another fellow LETian) and apparently he thinks that us trying to disprove him and ignore him by trolling and whatnot was "just proving his point" and that "he won"

I think it's a fair criticism that I spent too much time on this, especially since it has been deleted and the people who were asleep while it happened will consequently have less exposure to it.

But I did not engage in this discussion hoping to convince the mob that they are losers.

I did this to contrast myself with these lowlives in front of the people who make the Internet work.

It served its purpose.

direct quote from his telegram

Spreading propaganda, He purposefully misquoted and lied about things to make his argument sound good and spread it.

On his blog he also deleted the last page of the thread, though it wasnt as useful or had much of any information, it is an example of how he manipulates data

Thanked by 3jar emgh dahartigan
  • I think LET is more popular compared to LEB.... easy way to find cheap requirements for your hosting needs.

• @Arkas said:

@ChrisCantwell said: Declining rapidly. Catering to mobs and sub-human intellects.

Oh, really?

I would most likely phrase it a bit different, but I agree with him.
    Lately, I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of 12-year-olds most of the time, every single thread is destroyed by lame attempts at being funny instead of actually helping people.

Thanked by 3jar ascicode jsg
  • @rcy026 said:

@Arkas said:

Oh, really?

Lately, I feel like I'm talking to a bunch of 12-year-olds most of the time, every single thread is destroyed by lame attempts at being funny instead of actually helping people.

hi im 12 haha ecks dee

• @rcy026 said:

@Arkas said:

Oh, really?

You're aware that by "sub-human intellects" he means not agreeing with his stance politically, right?

While I do agree high-quality discussion is nice, I don't think a nazi spreading his distate for homosexuals is it

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rcy026 said:

@Arkas said:

Oh, really?

That's not what he was referring to but it's a fair criticism of the forum.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

So, that deleted it seems thread is now getting revived here - and not by @ChrisCantwell ...

Back on-topic:

I rarely look at LEB. It's not badly made, it's just for another audience it seems. The few times I looked at it was basically always based on a mention here on LET.

That said I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of - clearly marked, please - section on LET hinting at current LEB articles and maybe sometimes a discussion about an article.

• @Otus9051 said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jar said:

Saw his blog and his telegram (thanks to another fellow LETian) and apparently he thinks that us trying to disprove him and ignore him by trolling and whatnot was "just proving his point" and that "he won"

I think it's a fair criticism that I spent too much time on this, especially since it has been deleted and the people who were asleep while it happened will consequently have less exposure to it.

But I did not engage in this discussion hoping to convince the mob that they are losers.

I did this to contrast myself with these lowlives in front of the people who make the Internet work.

It served its purpose.

direct quote from his telegram

Spreading propaganda, He purposefully misquoted and lied about things to make his argument sound good and spread it.

On his blog he also deleted the last page of the thread, though it wasnt as useful or had much of any information, it is an example of how he manipulates data

I didn't delete the last page of anything. The whole thread was deleted by the mods before I could capture it. You are a liar. The whole entire thing is there save for what was deleted before I could capture it,

You people are dishonest. And everybody who reads the thread knows that. You are only able to do what you do BECAUSE the information is deleted by others.

Thanked by 1sillycat