Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are we doing at LowEndBox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are we doing at LowEndBox?

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

A lot has changed the past couple years at LowEndBox.

This year we've:

A bunch of other back end improvements, etc.

So, is LowEndBox worth reading? Do you check it now to see what we've written and industry news?

What can we do better or differently?

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

I'm really like @SirFoxy articles , good job @jbiloh

Regards

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @Calin said:
    I'm really like @SirFoxy articles , good job @jbiloh

Regards

❤️

• To be honest I've never looked at lowendbox, I go directly to lowendtalk.
    I'm just interested in the discussions and the occasional offer, and while the offers are still pretty good the level of the discussions have seriously deteriorated over the years.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@rcy026 said:
    To be honest I've never looked at lowendbox, I go directly to lowendtalk.
    I'm just interested in the discussions and the occasional offer, and while the offers are still pretty good the level of the discussions have seriously deteriorated over the years.

Take a look at LowEndBox and let me know what you think? :)

• More comics on lowendbox !!!

Thanked by 3Calin yoursunny caracal
  • The routine emails are nice to keep up with updates. Great job, well done!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2023

Havent checked it for years, to be honest.

What its supposed to even be nowdays?

Offers from dubious providers that were not legit enough to get provider tag in the past?
    News/Drama articles about recent stuff?
    Tutorials?
    All of the above?

You need to decide already lol.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

@Chievo said: More comics on lowendbox !!!

>

Yes , i'm like comics

@Chievo said:
    More comics on lowendbox !!!

I love our LowEndLoLs

https://lowendbox.com/?s=lowendlols

@stefeman said:
    Havent checked it for years, to be honest.

Offers from dubious providers that were not legit enough to get provider tag in the past?
    News/Drama articles about recent stuff?
    Tutorials?
    All of the above?

You need to decide already lol.

Three years ago we pivoted away from an endless stream of low quality offers.

Now we feature better offers, plus news, opinion articles, tutorials, etc. I like our mix of content now and I think it provides value to our users.

• Looks like your doing a great job.

• rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited September 2023

@jbiloh said:

@rcy026 said:

First impression, the layout is horrible. Seriously, it looks like the kind of site you find trough a google search but immediately press the back button and try the next one instead.
    Read trough a couple of articles and kudos to the writers, they are well written and easy to read. Interesting topics for those in the hosting field, and it's written in an easy and fun way but still informative. Did not read enough to really say for sure, but first impression is that they are factual and impartial while still with a bit of humor, and that's not as easy as one might think. You get constantly annoyed by banners and flashing ad's, but you cant really blame the writers for that.

TLDR; good content, horrible presentation. Will not visit again.

• I have been on this platform for a few months. Other than the visual layout in the 90s or early 00s, the content and community brings us together for the common interest. Hoping for an updated UI change, like lowendspirit. Mods are fairly responsive and friendly too! feels great to have an independent platform rather than having a subreddit.

• @SirFoxy is doing great work there. I do have other sources for news but SirFoxy is top of the line

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited September 2023

I think one big thing missing is a provider megathread.

Have a list of providers listed up by state/country and what they offer (dedis/vps/shared/colo) at those locations. Something like

(Country)
    (State)
    -(City)
    (Provider Username) - (Provider Company Name) - (Services Offered) - (Website)
    (notable features available)

(these are just an example, may not be 100% accurate)

USA
    Utah
    -Salt Lake City
    @fiberstate - Fiberstate - Dedicated/Colocation - https://fiberstate.com/
    Remote hands, free reboots/installs

USA
    Virginia
    -Ashburn
    @speedypage - Speedypage - Shared/VPS - https://speedypage.com
    BunnyCDN, Bunny.NET image optimizer, bi-daily backups

USA
    Washington State
    -Liberty Lake
    @MannDude - Incognet - Shared/VPS/Dedicated - https://incognet.io/
    5 backup slots

-Spokane
    @crunchbits - Crunchbits - VPS/VDS/Dedicated/GPU - https://crunchbits.com/
    1 backup slot

Deals are everchanging but the services offered typically don't change much, so wouldn't require constant upkeep. It'd be up to the providers to submit their info.

@rcy026 said:

@jbiloh said:

@rcy026 said:

First impression, the layout is horrible. Seriously, it looks like the kind of site you find trough a google search but immediately press the back button and try the next one instead.
    Read trough a couple of articles and kudos to the writers, they are well written and easy to read. Interesting topics for those in the hosting field, and it's written in an easy and fun way but still informative. Did not read enough to really say for sure, but first impression is that they are factual and impartial while still with a bit of humor, and that's not as easy as one might think. You get constantly annoyed by banners and flashing ad's, but you cant really blame the writers for that.

TLDR; good content, horrible presentation. Will not visit again.

Glad you liked the content!

• How much is he getting paid for all his great articles? I'm curious.

• @sillycat said:

How much is he getting paid for all his great articles? I'm curious.

@SirFoxy over there like...

Thanked by 1Kassem
  • It helps me to find servers in unusual places that I do not see very often in my own country.
    It's a great help to me because my budget for a personal hobby is really small.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

I always thought it was a bit odd that LowEndTalk doesn't have links to LowEndbox recent articles in the sidebar.

The sites are part of the same network, but LEB articles rarely get comments. A good article may get one, two or three. Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

Also, as suggested privately: If a LEB article is going to be partially about an active provider or community member, they should be reached for comment. That's what all the big publications do. That way they can say, "We reached out for comment, and this is what they had to say" or "They declined to comment when we reached out to them".

LowEndBox has definitely gotten much better over the years but I'm still surprised at how little cross-platform integration there is. Once there is, traffic will be better on both sites.

Thanked by 2MrLime tentor
  • @MannDude said:
    I always thought it was a bit odd that LowEndTalk doesn't have links to LowEndbox recent articles in the sidebar.

The sites are part of the same network, but LEB articles rarely get comments. A good article may get one, two or three. Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

I second this notion. Maybe a system similar to ArsTechnica!? Either click on comment lead to twin article here or comments here appear on LEB too.

Personally I find SirFoxy articles is good when he isn't writing with obsession. Also staff name-calling definitely alienated me quite a bit.

I find Raindog's articles more enjoyable.

@MannDude said: Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

We actually have this integration already built in. Do you think the community here on LowEndTalk would be open to that? Is the content published on LowEndBox now of acceptable quality where LETers would be OK with seeing threads cross posted on LET for discussion purposes?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:

@MannDude said: Wouldn't it be better to close comments on LEB and have dedicated threads on LET for discussion? (Ex: Discuss this post here) Just create a new thread for each new article so existing LET members: Know a new article is posted, and can discuss it.

We actually have this integration already built in. Do you think the community here on LowEndTalk would be open to that? Is the content published on LowEndBox now of acceptable quality where LETers would be OK with seeing threads cross posted on LET for discussion purposes?

Sure, I think so.

Could create and new LET category that only your authors can submit new topics to. Once they publish a new LEB post, the can create a LET post linking to it with a very brief description that isn't the same text as used on LEB (Ex: We interviewed so-and-so from some-company, read what they had to say about this, that, and this other thing over on LEB!"), then quickly edit the LEB post to contain a, "Discuss this over on LowEndTalk".

I think it'd bring more eyes to both sites. Some hit LEB from Google, without knowing what LET is. Many of us use LET and never really look at LEB. I don't see it hurting either site, only helping, in my opinion. I would almost guarantee it'd be better for conversation, since you don't have to manually approve comments on LET like you do on LEB, people can quote one another, debate, and have more organic and natural conversation with one another about the topic at hand.

Just my $0.02.

Thanked by 1kait
  • @jbiloh said: Is the content published on LowEndBox now of acceptable quality where LETers would be OK with seeing threads cross posted on LET for discussion purposes?

Maybe make it so only the provider articles show up on LET in some sort of sidebar, not the kiwifarms, or raindogs openbsd article, or the unlimited storage article. If it is just the provider specific things like the Fiberstates nudes or dedipaths dedipool articles I think everyone will welcome those.

Especially the Fiberstate nudes, I love looking at cool datacenter pictures.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Don't have any opinion as we never visits (maybe only 1 or 3 time). We personally feel it's worthless and only fits for them who will paid for publicity.

So it's not for us..

• In a strange twist, I actually visit LEB more these days. The article quality from @raindog308 is good and there is plenty worth reading. Some interesting content in there from @SirFoxy starting to come through as well.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@Don_Keedic said:
    I think one big thing missing is a provider megathread.

Have a list of providers listed up by state/country and what they offer (dedis/vps/shared/colo) at those locations. Something like

(Country)
    (State)
    -(City)
    (Provider Username) - (Provider Company Name) - (Services Offered) - (Website)
    (notable features available)

(these are just an example, may not be 100% accurate)

USA
    Utah
    -Salt Lake City
    @fiberstate - Fiberstate - Dedicated/Colocation - https://fiberstate.com/
    Remote hands, free reboots/installs

USA
    Virginia
    -Ashburn
    @speedypage - Speedypage - Shared/VPS - https://speedypage.com
    BunnyCDN, Bunny.NET image optimizer, bi-daily backups

USA
    Washington State
    -Liberty Lake
    @MannDude - Incognet - Shared/VPS/Dedicated - https://incognet.io/
    5 backup slots

-Spokane
    @crunchbits - Crunchbits - VPS/VDS/Dedicated/GPU - https://crunchbits.com/
    1 backup slot

Deals are everchanging but the services offered typically don't change much, so wouldn't require constant upkeep. It'd be up to the providers to submit their info.

I like this idea!

• neckbreakerneckbreaker Member
    edited September 2023

I struggle to understand what exactly is LowEndBox, is it a blog with hosting offers, or a fake news drama media.

@SirFoxy was proven to be a politically motivated actor purposefully lying for his own gain.
    Threads where his articles been teared apart and disproved:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187208/new-joshua-moon-didn-t-realize-the-llc-he-was-operating-kiwi-farms-through-was-dissolved/p1
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/187690/incognet-filed-an-official-complaint-against-he-with-the-attorney-general-of-washington-state/p3

Besides being a liar and a threat to reputation of LEB, he is also a wannabe "internet tough guy" trying to silence his critics in a way he considers to be morally wrong, doxing:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3701323/#Comment_3701323

Breaking several rules, and of course getting away with it.

Its absolutely insane what these sites turned to be, I've been a reader for far long than I have an account, and its sad to see community splitting and so obviously malicious people being "above the rules". Several people who were vocal critics of SirFoxy and biased actions of moderators, were getting banned without possibility of unban.

I'm starting to believe you are aware of these issues, and just do not give a shit about integrity of LET and LEB anymore, I understand that money is important - but do not forget how you make it, low quality product(in this case community) wont last long if you shit on it.

Thanked by 3sillycat _MS_ fatchan
  • @stefeman said:

Apparently a way to push a woke agenda even into hosting topics.

Thanked by 1sillycat