Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

S3 Compatible Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

S3 Compatible Storage

Looking for good backup S3 compatible storage, i dont like the cheek of idrive .... $4 for the year then $20 now if i want to upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB it's $80 ... but as a new customer i can get it for $40

how does that work out? ... so out of principle im looking to move!

looking for 1-2TB

what's out there that isn't going to lure you in with low prices and then rob you blind once your in

Comments

• tjntjn Member
    edited August 2023

The usual candidates:

• B2, $5/TB, my fav, free egress through CF
    • R2
    • Wasabi, $5.99/TB, 90 day deletion policy and as much free egress as you have storage
    • Contabo
    • S3 or glacier if you don't need to access your data, but expensive egress

You could also get a storage VPS and run Minio.
    Also this thread has plenty of advice.

Thanked by 1chip
    • Contabo Object Storage
    • Cloudflare R2
    • Tebi.io
    Thanked by 2coreflux chip
  • I recommend Backblaze B2, stay away from Contabo Storage.

Thanked by 4chip emgh claudio nocloud
  • Backblaze is cheap.

• nick_nick_ Member
    edited August 2023

+1 for Backblaze B2. You don't have to pay $5/TB but $0.005/GB. It's pay as you go and the first 10GB is free. One thing to be aware of when creating a B2 account is the region of your data: US West, US East, and EU. Your account is tied to a region and can't be changed later.

• emghemgh Member

I’ve used B2, R2 & S3.

For most, I’d recommend B2.

For very high bandwidth usage, R2.

For enterprise users (in the AWS ecosystem), S3.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Nowadays I'm using Scaleway object storage for my personal usage, and couldn't be happier with it. Highly recommended!

Thanked by 1hampered
  • 4 for the year then $20 now if i want to upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB it's $80 ... but as a new customer i can get it for $40

You can send them a message using the live chat or the contact page to update the pricing to reflect last change for your account.

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

We give access to aws CLI tools on our SSH shell, so you can easily sync back and forth. Even setup a cron to do it. $4 a month per TB. www.microtronixdc.com

• GSBRTGSBRT Member, Patron Provider

Serverius has 1TB of storage for 9 euro/month($9.54/month USD) with a million request for each request type per month for free. https://serverius.net/object-storage/

• Terrahost has S3-compatible object storage: https://terrahost.com/resilient-storage

Not the cheapest, but just putting it out there as an option.

• @chip said:
    Looking for good backup S3 compatible storage, i dont like the cheek of idrive .... $4 for the year then $20 now if i want to upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB it's $80 ... but as a new customer i can get it for $40

looking for 1-2TB

what's out there that isn't going to lure you in with low prices and then rob you blind once your in

Our storage VPS + Minio as referred by @tjn :)
    €30/year 2000GB :)

• @jfreak53 said:
    We give access to aws CLI tools on our SSH shell, so you can easily sync back and forth. Even setup a cron to do it. $4 a month per TB. www.microtronixdc.com

I've had a look at your site and can't see what your mentioning? (I must be looking in thr wrong place)

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@chip said:

@jfreak53 said:

I've had a look at your site and can't see what your mentioning? (I must be looking in thr wrong place)

Sorry, forgot we don't have a dedicated page for it yet, just the cart page:
    https://clients.microtronix-tech.com/link.php?id=79

• @chip said:

looking for 1-2TB

I contacted iDrive e2 and my pricing was reduced to match that of new customers. I really like e2 and I think it's a robust service for cheap.

• @vitobotta said:

@chip said:

looking for 1-2TB

I contacted iDrive e2 and my pricing was reduced to match that of new customers. I really like e2 and I think it's a robust service for cheap.

Yeah, I needed to spin up some storage for backups recently, and iDrive e2 seems like the perfect fit for my needs as well. Been using it for about 10 days so far--works perfectly for my needs. I use it in tandem with a storage VPS from another provider, so I have redundancy sort of built-in. And I have my Synology download everything from iDrive e2 every 5 minutes, so I always have a local copy as well. It's a bit overkill for what it is (client website backups), but I sleep better at night and it easily fits within the budget.

• chipchip Member
    edited September 2023

@vitobotta said:

@chip said:

looking for 1-2TB

I actually did this and within an hour they had emailed me back to say they has reduced the price to match that of new customers

But I still dislike their sales tactics

• TLDR; Cloudflare R2 if you want really unlimited free downloads but $15/TB (billed per GB) for storage or Backblaze B2 if you want cheaper storage ($6/TB billed per GB) which includes up to 3x the amount of data stored in downloads for free and then $10/TB (billed per GB) per additional downloads.

If you’re not going to use Glacier, there’s no logical reason to use Scaleway S3 over Cloudflare R2. If anyone here is using Scaleway S3 when there’s Cloudflare R2 (assuming their use case fits for why they’re using SCWS3), they didn’t do their research well enough. R2 is cheaper for storage than Scaleway S3 AND has unlimited downloads for free under your own domain. It’s $15/TB for storage, billed per GB.

If you’re not going to download much then Backblaze B2 is the best option since it’s $6/TB (billed per GB) which includes 3x downloads and unlimited within certain CDNs like Cloudflare. After 3x it’s $0.01 per GB.

So if you’re hosting 1TB you can download up to 3TB per month using B2. After that it’s $10 per TB of download, billed per GB. This is unlimited with Cloudflare R2 so you can store 1TB and download like 10TB per month and you’d only pay $15 for this.

So for most people here, it’s either B2 or R2 depending on the use case and for most use cases B2 is the best option. Every other provider doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Personally we used to use Scaleway S3 before knowing much about this stuff until one of our apps got stuck and kept downloading the same file from our bucket until we realized which costed us over €1500 in bandwidth fees. Of course we patched this bug in our app later on to avoid this from happening in the future and it never happened ever since. We were only hosting 500GB of data. Lately we’ve switched to Cloudflare R2. We could technically use Backblaze B2 instead and it would be cheaper but we’d be risking it. R2’s unlimited traffic gives us peace of mind knowing we wouldn’t have such scenarios which we had with Scaleway S3 (which was our mistake).

Note: I’ve excluded shitty unreliable services from this such as Contabo or iDrive.

Thanked by 4arda greentea emgh Warkos
  • Get a storage VPS and use SeaweedFS

Thanked by 1tjn
  • Personally r2 is the best for egress

• Scaleway removed the free 75GB free ONEZONE_IA option, because possibly mastodon 4.2.0 introduced storage class option while uploading assets.

I used to love idrive e2, but paying for 1TB is too much for my use case.

Does anyone have any decent alternatives ? I mostly use about 50GB of storage.

• tjntjn Member
    edited October 2023

@arda said: Does anyone have any decent alternatives ?

The whole thread is full of alternatives.
    Are you looking for a free alternative?

Amongst the cheapest would likely be B2 for 50GB, or setup minio on a cheap VPS.

• @chip said:

looking for 1-2TB

I need some clarification about how the pricing works.
    so new customer pay $20 for 1TB/year right ?
    but for the next year you need to pay $40 for 1TB/year ?

so whats the $4 you talking about ?
    just little bit of a confuse, my english sucks btw
    planning to use idrive but ended up read this thread

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited October 2023

@arda said: Scaleway removed the free 75GB free ONEZONE_IA option, because possibly mastodon 4.2.0 introduced storage class option while uploading assets.

Didnt notice this.
    Add: googling but didnt find any article about this.. though on scaleway website therr is no more mention about 75gb object storage, only 75gb bandwith....

• @tjn said:

Amongst the cheapest would likely be B2 for 50GB, or setup minio on a cheap VPS.

That's why I shared my storage requirement. I just don't want to pay for a full TB of price. Backblaze, which I believe is the only decent alternative for my requirement is banned in my country for most stupid reasons (it was anti government image hosting or something like that).

@Shamli said:

@arda said: Scaleway removed the free 75GB free ONEZONE_IA option, because possibly mastodon 4.2.0 introduced storage class option while uploading assets.

Didnt notice this.
    Add: googling but didnt find any article about this.. though on scaleway website therr is no more mention about 75gb object storage, only 75gb bandwith....

Yup. They recently removed also from free-for.dev index as well https://github.com/ripienaar/free-for-dev/pull/3110

• @arda said:

@tjn said:

That's why I shared my storage requirement. I just don't want to pay for a full TB of price. Backblaze, which I believe is the only decent alternative for my requirement is banned in my country for most stupid reasons (it was anti government image hosting or something like that).

@Shamli said:

Didnt notice this.

Yup. They recently removed also from free-for.dev index as well https://github.com/ripienaar/free-for-dev/pull/3110

Cloudflare R2 would fit you. You would be paying $0,75 for 50GB storage. Download is free if you use your own domain that is added to your CF account.

Thanked by 1arda
  • Apparently Hetzner has something coming in early 2024. might be worth a look.
    https://blogiestools.com/hetzner-object-storage-service/

Personally i've tried iDrive and backblaze, but due to egress and the way im using rsync backblaze would have cost me $100s a month for a small amount of data, so i switched to iDrive. Cloudflare looks good but not personally tried it.

with iDrive i pay almost nothing on pay-as you go. I guess it all depends on use-case which will be the best option.

• Maybe storj would work, 25gb free storage, 25 gb egress free, then
    Storage cost per month: $0.004 /GiB
    Egress cost per month: $0.007 /GiB
    So additional 25 gb would cost like 0.10 USD

I'm still sticking with scaleway for now, 1gb is €0.012 to €0.0146
    And they dont do free request limit like R2 or B2 or minimum file term like wasabi or additional storage file count fees like storj

• SebekVPSSebekVPS Member, Patron Provider

There's really no sense in overpaying for s3 storage.
    There are so many solutions now that for redundancy, you just buy a VPS, install Docker and 99% of issues will be solved.
    your own s3 storage? no problem, just Minio, no "file access limits" there, you just pay for resources and use the server.
    Besides, it's the same VPS, where you can run both nfs and iscsi servers at the same time, vpn for "local" access and so on.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • I believe there were many people were using the free storage.

But there were no mention,even emails about it stopped being offered.

Didnt know if it will affect new bucket or even existing one as there were stilll no charges appeared on billing tab...

Thanked by 1darkimmortal