Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

S3 Compatible Storage - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

S3 Compatible Storage

2»

Comments

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited October 2023

@Shamli said:
    I believe there were many people were using the free storage.

But there were no mention,even emails about it stopped being offered.

Didnt know if it will affect new bucket or even existing one as there were stilll no charges appeared on billing tab...

Their other change (charging for cold storage to normal storage transfer) is due in November so we shall see what happens…

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited October 2023

@rifwin said:

@chip said:
    Looking for good backup S3 compatible storage, i dont like the cheek of idrive .... $4 for the year then $20 now if i want to upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB it's $80 ... but as a new customer i can get it for $40

how does that work out? ... so out of principle im looking to move!

looking for 1-2TB

what's out there that isn't going to lure you in with low prices and then rob you blind once your in

I need some clarification about how the pricing works.
    so new customer pay $20 for 1TB/year right ?
    but for the next year you need to pay $40 for 1TB/year ?

so whats the $4 you talking about ?
    just little bit of a confuse, my english sucks btw
    planning to use idrive but ended up read this thread

For new customers
    $20/TB/yr (can be increased in 1TB increments) + $0.004/GB/mo overage if you go with the yearly plan
    $0.004/GB/mo but with a 1TB minimum charge if you go with the monthly plan (so $4 + anything over the 1TB mark)

So yeah, the yearly plan is way cheaper (unless you use less then 10GB - which is free according to their website)

• muddymuddy Member
    edited October 2023

@sanvit said:

@rifwin said:

@chip said:
    Looking for good backup S3 compatible storage, i dont like the cheek of idrive .... $4 for the year then $20 now if i want to upgrade from 1TB to 2 TB it's $80 ... but as a new customer i can get it for $40

how does that work out? ... so out of principle im looking to move!

looking for 1-2TB

what's out there that isn't going to lure you in with low prices and then rob you blind once your in

I need some clarification about how the pricing works.
    so new customer pay $20 for 1TB/year right ?
    but for the next year you need to pay $40 for 1TB/year ?

so whats the $4 you talking about ?
    just little bit of a confuse, my english sucks btw
    planning to use idrive but ended up read this thread

For new customers
    $20/TB/yr (can be increased in 1TB increments) + $0.004/GB/mo overage if you go with the yearly plan
    $0.004/GB/mo but with a 1TB minimum charge if you go with the monthly plan (so $4 + anything over the 1TB mark)

So yeah, the yearly plan is way cheaper (unless you use less then 10GB - which is free according to their website)

I opened a new iDrive account in September. Free account at first. Showed 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10TB options as available upgrades. Started with a 1 TB, then upgraded to 2TB. After that, the 3, 4 TB options disappeared and the only option was 5tb. So, I had to upgrade to 5tb. Now the only upgrade option shown is 10 TB. The intermediate options disappear once you are on board, so if you know how much you need right away, do that right away. Otherwise, you might be stuck buying more than you need if you do upgrades only as needed. Fortunately, the price is reasonable.

Got confirmation from support that the upgrade options I see are the only options. Nothing else in-between (other than the .004/gb overage option, which is probably what I'll do once I break the 5tb level).

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @SebekVPS said:
    There's really no sense in overpaying for s3 storage.
    There are so many solutions now that for redundancy, you just buy a VPS, install Docker and 99% of issues will be solved.
    your own s3 storage? no problem, just Minio, no "file access limits" there, you just pay for resources and use the server.
    Besides, it's the same VPS, where you can run both nfs and iscsi servers at the same time, vpn for "local" access and so on.

I disagree- I ran Minio for a few years. It's hard to maintain - hard to get SSL going (had to use nginx to proxy to minio),hard to update...

Maybe running via docker is better but docker has very high VPS requirements - i just can't figure out how it's worth it.

I have since switched to Storj. Backblaze might be better, but running this stuff yourself is just a big time zap and basically poverty. I tried hard to make it work but just wasnt worth the effort. Also using idrive but Storj is better, for alot of obvious reasons.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Still VERY happy with Backblaze. Killer value. One of the best services I use online.

I've tried to distance my company from as many hourly services as possible, since it means extra book keeping getting a monthly invoice. I want to pay yearly.

Backblaze is one of the few services I realized that I just won't replace, it's too good.

Cheap and always just works.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • SebekVPSSebekVPS Member, Patron Provider

@sidewinder said:

@SebekVPS said:
    There are so many solutions now that for redundancy, you just buy a VPS, install Docker and 99% of issues will be solved.
    your own s3 storage? no problem, just Minio, no "file access limits" there, you just pay for resources and use the server.
    Besides, it's the same VPS, where you can run both nfs and iscsi servers at the same time, vpn for "local" access and so on.

I disagree- I ran Minio for a few years. It's hard to maintain - hard to get SSL going (had to use nginx to proxy to minio),hard to update...

Maybe running via docker is better but docker has very high VPS requirements - i just can't figure out how it's worth it.

I have since switched to Storj. Backblaze might be better, but running this stuff yourself is just a big time zap and basically poverty. I tried hard to make it work but just wasnt worth the effort. Also using idrive but Storj is better, for alot of obvious reasons.

Everyone may have different needs and you should choose based on the price you are willing to pay and what you need to get.
    Storj costs 4$ for 1TB of storage and 7$ for 1TB of outgoing traffic.
    For me, that price is 1.6$ for 1TB of storage and 1TB of traffic total
    If you need to store 2TB of data, you might be better off with Storj, if you need to store 100TB of data, your choice, 400$ for storage only or 160$ for storage and data transfer.

• @SebekVPS said:

@sidewinder said:

@SebekVPS said:

Everyone may have different needs and you should choose based on the price you are willing to pay and what you need to get.
    Storj costs 4$ for 1TB of storage and 7$ for 1TB of outgoing traffic.
    For me, that price is 1.6$ for 1TB of storage and 1TB of traffic total
    If you need to store 2TB of data, you might be better off with Storj, if you need to store 100TB of data, your choice, 400$ for storage only or 160$ for storage and data transfer.

my point was more about rolling your own s3 sucks. I tried really hard for 2+ years, just wouldn't recommend it.

• I'm using Scaleway for that (Only europe locations)
    S3 compatible and cheap cold storage available if needed
    I don't have astronomical amounts of data either. So I don't even know how it's positioned in terms of price.
    I know that cold storage is very competitive, but for the standard class I have no idea.

• They have announced 1 December as the date when free tier storage ends

Benefit from 750GB free trial on Multi-AZ Standard class!
    Our commitment to providing the best value remains unwavering. On December 1st, we're phasing out the free tier on storage classes in all regions. But don't worry – we're replacing it with something even better!
    On the same day, get ready for a 3-month free trial on Multi-AZ Standard, with a generous 750GB of storage. It can be exclusively activated at any time through our Scaleway Console and will be available to all who've never experienced Multi-AZ. And benefit from a 3-month guided immersion into the benefits of this class!

• Does anyone have experience with Terrahost?

@fatchan said:
    Terrahost has S3-compatible object storage: https://terrahost.com/resilient-storage

Not the cheapest, but just putting it out there as an option.

I spent a few minutes trying to figure out if their relation with Epik is any cause for concern but didn't reach a conclusion.

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member
    edited November 2023

get vps and setup MinIO with caddy, quicky personal storage, i just set it up smoothly

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • I agree, Caddy + Minio on docker is so fast and easy to get going.
    Easy to upgrade, and reliable too.

Thanked by 2fayaz90 BasToTheMax
  • Anyone using OVH object storage? It seems fairly comparable to most price wise and looks easy enough to spin up multiple buckets in different locations.

• @fayaz90 said:
    get vps and setup MinIO with caddy, quicky personal storage, i just set it up smoothly

What are the minimum vps specs required to run this smoothly?

• @tjn said:
    I agree, Caddy + Minio on docker is so fast and easy to get going.
    Easy to upgrade, and reliable too.

I’m using hostbrrr premium storage. With 4tb disk

I’m using nginx instead caddy.
    2core
    4gb
    60gb nvme for OS
    4tb additional disk (had to mount manually)
    10tb bandwidth

That’s enough to serve 50k visitor daily.

• @Daniel15 said:
    Get a storage VPS and use SeaweedFS

I'm curious about your experience with it. Do you use it in a production environment or just for personal projects? How do you find its performance and reliability? Also, would you say it's easy to set up for beginners?

Thanks.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2023

@adilolv said:

@Daniel15 said:
    Get a storage VPS and use SeaweedFS

I'm curious about your experience with it. Do you use it in a production environment or just for personal projects? How do you find its performance and reliability? Also, would you say it's easy to set up for beginners?

Thanks.

I ran it on my HostHatch storage VPS until the server failed. HostHatch replaced the VPS with a new one, but I haven't set SeaweedFS up again yet. I was trying it out as file storage for a Mastodon server and it seemed to work well.

I was just using a single server for everything - one master, one volume server, one filer, and one S3 gateway all in the same process. I ran a similar command to what's under the "Quick Start with Single Binary" instructions in the readme. It's designed to handle lots of small files very efficiently, moreso than just storing them as regular files on disk.

Thanked by 1adilolv