Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archive storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Archive storage?

Hello guys.
I have around 10 terabytes of data which I need to archive. I shall never delete any of these files, and I may access them once a year or so.
The data can be made into an archive so that the amount of the files won't be a large number (i.e. ~200)
I need to archive them in a safe place, the location can be everywhere in the world, but I prefer USA (specifically west coast).
Any suggestions?

Comments

• AWS S3 Glacier. Storage is super cheap, accessing it isn't as cheap. But it's designed for this use case

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

We have storage plans in Utah, USA:

https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php

Lifetime 30% recurring discount with this coupon code for limited time:

LET30%

• @NetDynamics24 said:

LET30%

SFTP backup services... quiet interesting. I remember one of my friends asking for a similar service.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • Scaleway Glacier Storage. Similar to aws, but cheaper, 0.002$/GB/Mont

https://www.scaleway.com/en/glacier-cold-storage/

Thanked by 3xms Erisa greentea
  • For redundancy i use both AWS and Scaleway Glacier

• @NetDynamics24 said:

LET30%

I've seen your logo around but seemingly never checked out what you guys had to offer. Looks like some pretty good deals! I'm sure I'll need another storage server within a month or two, I'll give you guys a run!

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • @shruub said:
    Scaleway Glacier Storage. Similar to aws, but cheaper, 0.002$/GB/Mont

I suppose AWS Deep Glacier is 0.00099$/G/month? Does Scaleway provide free retrieval or something?

@Don_Keedic said:

I've seen your logo around but seemingly never checked out what you guys had to offer. Looks like some pretty good deals! I'm sure I'll need another storage server within a month or two, I'll give you guys a run!

We will be glad to have you on board. Contact us to request discount coupon when you are ready.

• Hetzner Storage Box or Storage Share (comes with 28 backups too)

• No one mentioned Cloudflare r2 storage with free egress. Storage cost is 0.015 /GB/Month and as you don't to access it frequently, you will be free from their read and write operations

• @sreekanth850 said:
    No one mentioned Cloudflare r2 storage with free egress. Storage cost is 0.015 /GB/Month and as you don't to access it frequently, you will be free from their read and write operations

No one mentioned Cloudflare R2 cause its worst possible deal for him.
    Why youre making point of free egress if there wont be egress?

Wasabi ends up 2.5x cheaper, iDrive ends up 3.3x times cheaper, Hetzner emds up 4x times cheaper.
    Even AWS/Azure will be cheaper.

R2 is bad deal until you download your files at least 5x every month, but at this point if you have volume you should consider building MinIO cluster + couple of VPSes for caching in select locations so you'll get better performance at lower price.

R2 is a cash cow for Cloudflare. It doesnt make a lot of sense for anything other than static files or small packages (game update files for example).

• sreekanth850sreekanth850 Member
    edited August 2023

@AXYZE said: Even AWS/Azure will be cheaper

Even if the OP download twice a year, AWS bandwidth cost can be high. Bandwidth cost is 0.09 USD/GB/month. If OP download 10 TB twice that itself will be huge? Am i missing something?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Engrave the data onto CDs and mail them to me.
    I'll keep them for a modest price calculated according to my apartment rent and how much space they occupy.

• emghemgh Member

@yoursunny said:
    I'll keep them for a modest price calculated according to my apartment rent and how much space they occupy.

Who needs the cloud when we have your apartment?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @FrankRuan said:

@shruub said:
    Scaleway Glacier Storage. Similar to aws, but cheaper, 0.002$/GB/Mont

I suppose AWS Deep Glacier is 0.00099$/G/month? Does Scaleway provide free retrieval or something?

Yup,you can restore for free. Also, I was thinking of normal glacier, which is 0.005$/GB/month iirc.

• @yoursunny said:

Honestly, seems like a good deal, sign me up! Hopefully i can access the cds via IPv9.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited August 2023

@sreekanth850 said:

Even if the OP download twice a year, AWS bandwidth cost can be high. Bandwidth cost is 0.09 USD/GB/month. If OP download 10 TB twice that itself will be huge? Am i missing something?

You're missing that:

• S3 itself is way cheaper (especially Glacier tier),
    • transfer from AWS S3 to AWS Cloudfront is completly free,
    • Cloudfront has 1TB/mo transfer Always free tier.

It can end up as cheapest solution out there, depending on the usage.

Your example "If OP download 10 TB twice that itself will be huge" isn't what OP said, but okay, lets sort it out:

Cloudflare R2 10TB = $1800/year (no egress fee).

Backblaze B2 10TB = $600/year ($100 for each 10TB downloaded)

Wasabi Hot Storage = $840/year (no egress fee until you go above what you host - 10TB free egress tier every month in this example)

Hetzner Storage Box = $275.28/year (20TB free egress each month)

You can get Hetzner+Backblaze instead Cloudflare R2 and you will get two georeplicated backups! Even if one fks something up you have second one. That's a lot better right? And you will spend just half as much for that!

Like I said R2 is VERY bad deal for OP use case, that's why no one recommended it and its not worth considering.

• @sreekanth850 said:

Bucket -> CloudFront is free, and CloudFront is cheaper than normal bandwidth (not a lot, 0.085$/G)
    However CloudFront offers 1 terabyte free each month, and it's unlikely I would restore all my data at once since the data I want to archive is not backups of my local existing data at all, they are just archives.

• @AXYZE said:

@sreekanth850 said:

You're missing that:

• transfer from AWS S3 to AWS CloudFlare is completly free,

Your example "If OP download 10 TB twice that itself will be huge" isn't what OP said, but okay, lets sort it out:

**Backblaze B2 **10TB = $600/year ($100 for each 10TB downloaded)

Wasabi Hot Storage = $840/year (no egress fee until you go above what you host - 10TB free egress tier every month in this example)

**Hetzner **Storage Box = $275.28/year (20TB free egress each month)

You can get Hetzner+Backblaze instead Cloudflare R2 **nd you will get **two georeplicated backups! Even if one fks something up you have second one. Thats a lot better right? And you will spend just half as much for that!

Like I said R2 is VERY bad deal for OP usecase, that's why no one recommended it and its not worth considering.

Great calculations, but it's worth noting that Backblaze B2 to Cloudflare is completely free of charge. But the storage fee is much higher and the data will always be available at any time, which I don't need.

Note: you have a typo, it is AWS CloudFront, not CloudFlare

• @FrankRuan said:

@AXYZE said:

@sreekanth850 said:

You're missing that:

You can get Hetzner+Backblaze instead Cloudflare R2 **nd you will get **two georeplicated backups! Even if one fks something up you have second one. Thats a lot better right? And you will spend just half as much for that!

Like I said R2 is VERY bad deal for OP usecase, that's why no one recommended it and its not worth considering.

Great calculations, but it's worth noting that Backblaze B2 to Cloudflare is completely free of charge. But the storage fee is much higher and the data will always be available at any time, which I don't need.

Thanks for noticing, fixed :)
    Backblaze B2 to Cloudflare is indeed free, but be aware that if you would use that on regular basis you may be blocked or rate limited by Cloudflare - they calculate HTML vs Non-HTML ratio and react if there's a great difference in bigger volume.
    If you fly under radar then you're set - Backblaze is the golden standard in storage.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

I recommend purchasing an external HDD/SSD, as it is cost-effective compared to online offers.

• @yoursunny said:

LTO tape and M-Disc needs a gigantic upfront cost and maintenance cost, so I'm not considering it (I won't choose to buy a 10k USD tape drive and a whole flipping tape library, which will cost like half a million dollars)
    M-Disc/Blu-ray can be a great idea, and if I engrave them to 25 GB (it's the cheapest), it would take too much time because optical media is way too slow, I mean even slower than my Internet (I have symmetric gigabit connection)
    Also, the amount of disc can be astonishingly big, and hard to store for normal people like me.

• @AXYZE said:

@FrankRuan said:

@AXYZE said:

@sreekanth850 said:

You're missing that:

Thanks for noticing, fixed :)
    Backblaze B2 to Cloudflare is indeed free, but be aware that if you would use that on regular basis you may be blocked or rate limited by Cloudflare - they calculate HTML vs Non-HTML ratio and react if there's a great difference in bigger volume.
    If you fly under radar then you're set - Backblaze is the golden standard in storage.

Oh yeah that's true, that might be counted as "abuse" 😕
    Still, I use both B2 and R2 for my "hot data" e.g. website pictures & attachments, and they work perfectly fine.

@rustelekom said:
    I recommend purchasing an external HDD/SSD, as it is cost-effective compared to online offers.

In the long-run, yes. If I buy a 22 TB Seagate Exos, that would only 300 bucks.
    But, let's say the capacity is 18 TiB usable (idk, just guessing), in AWS Deep Glacier, that would cost around 19 bucks a month, and it would need 16 months to meet the price offered by AWS.
    But here's the catch, there's no way that you only buy one disk. At least 2, so that goes to 32 months, which is nearly 3 years.
    And there's also maintenance cost, i.e. mechanical drives are fragile, what if an earthquake or fire, or flood happened?
    In the worst case, the drive can kill itself when the humidity is high or the temperature is very high. So I wouldn't prefer storing them locally.
    The benefit of locally owned data is that I can retrieve them anytime I want, no other fees. But I don't need that, cuz I'm archiving. And it always makes me panic when I don't have a secondary copy maintained by professional people.
    Your idea is still great if someone can find a way to store the hard drive and has enough upfront cost. 😄

• @yoursunny said:

Hetzner has "the cloud"

Sunny has the "The Penthouse"

Not quit the cloud, but it's close.

• @AXYZE said: You're missing that:

S3 itself is way cheaper (especially Glacier tier),

transfer from AWS S3 to AWS Cloudfront is completly free,
    Cloudfront has 1TB/mo transfer Always free tier.

Backblaze B2 10TB = $600/year ($100 for each 10TB downloaded)

Hetzner Storage Box = $275.28/year (20TB free egress each month)

You can get Hetzner+Backblaze instead Cloudflare R2 and you will get two georeplicated backups! Even if one fks something up you have second one. That's a lot better right? And you will spend just half as much for that!

Like I said R2 is VERY bad deal for OP use case, that's why no one recommended it and its not worth considering.

Got it. Thanks for elaborating the cost factor.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@FrankRuan said: I have around 10 terabytes of data which I need to archive. I shall never delete any of these files, and I may access them once a year or so.

If you like decentralization network with blockchain check https://www.storj.io/pricing

Regards

• @NetDynamics24 said:

LET30%

You don't accept crypto?

@sitepape said:

You don't accept crypto?

No we don't. Only paypal, credit cards and bank transfer.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • @NetDynamics24 said:

@sitepape said:

You don't accept crypto?

No we don't. Only paypal, credit cards and bank transfer.

This is a little awkward not accepting crypto.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@aakashmishra007 said:
    This is a little awkward not accepting crypto.

Unfortunately many service providers think that cryptocurrencies are mostly used by malicious entities.

However they do still have to worry about chargebacks ;)

Thanked by 1homelabber