Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Veterans - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Veterans

Comments

• @MannDude said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    IHOP for the best shitty food deals.

Also IHOP 10/10 for being open 24/7. Sometimes I need IHOP to feel loved.

IHOP is for people who are too afraid to get in a fight with a crackhead at Waffle House.

EDIT: (I eat IHOP.)

I loved Waffle House growing up. Their quality has gone down since but still...

Sometimes there are days when we all feel like trash. Those are the days you go to Waffle House.

IHOP is an upscale version of Waffle House but not by much.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:

@MannDude said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    IHOP for the best shitty food deals.

Also IHOP 10/10 for being open 24/7. Sometimes I need IHOP to feel loved.

IHOP is for people who are too afraid to get in a fight with a crackhead at Waffle House.

EDIT: (I eat IHOP.)

I loved Waffle House growing up. Their quality has gone down since but still...

Sometimes there are days when we all feel like trash. Those are the days you go to Waffle House.

IHOP is an upscale version of Waffle House but not by much.

About ten years ago I found myself in Memphis, Tennessee. It was like 3AM, and I wanted to get some food. Waffle House sounded like a safe bet. GPS took me across the border into South Haven, Mississippi. They literally had armed security at this Waffle House. What a wild place.

Food was good though, and even though I quit smoking forever ago it was nice to be able to smoke a cigarette inside with my coffee while I waited on some pancakes and chicken.

I just looked the Waffle House up on Google Maps to make sure I had the name of the town right, and it's listed as "Permanently Closed" now.

• Man that's a great story. Mostly because it captures what Waffle House is about.

It's in a rough part of town. The staff are underpaid for the bullshit they deal with. They're always open 24/7 and are affordable. You also know the staff have seen some shit so you don't pull anything to piss them off. Sometimes they have armed security sometimes they don't. But you do know their food, while shitty, will keep you alive and content until your next meal and just hit that sweet spot of self-indulgence and disgust.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

3 years to go for me. This is a really cool idea, congrats to those who already have it.

• Thanks B) :D

• @Neoon said:
    Any Veteran deals? discounts?

@vedran said:
    So where are those veteran discounts?

Here you go:

Adult diapers: Friends easy

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@DataRecovery said: Here you go:

Eh, in this industry you can be a veteran after only 10 years :P At my former workplace (as an IT manager) they only started to consider me a regular after 10 years :P I joined in 2001 and directors were there since the beginning more or less in 1990. Before that I was the IT youngster, no gray hair, no extra weight, in jeans and shirt while they were wearing expensive business suits :D But we had a great atmosphere and they learnt pretty fast that IT&C matters and nothing works without it nor can everyone have their own version, we had to agree on a company-wide implementation.

@HalfEatenPie said: The veterans always know and keep tabs.

Hah, Amen to that :P

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • Appreciated 🤝🏾

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2023

Damn I'm old

Joined February 2012

• gianggiang Veteran

I can't believe it's more than 10 years 🍻

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I want some IHOP. Most of them around here closed during COVID and have not re-opened.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@DP said: The account has made at least 100 comments over the past 2 years, counting from today's date, so that would be from the 8th of August 2021.

I suspect I meet all of them but this one I'm not sure about. I lurk a lot unless it's popcorn time.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • Congrats for the new tag.. You're old. :D

Thanked by 1jon617
  • ehabehab Member

@fazar said:
    Congrats for the new tag.. You're old. :D

hello son.

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited August 2023

@DP said: In this case, if they've reached the "10-year mark", please submit the names by sending me a PM, or if you're one of them and your account has reached the "10-year mark", you can "apply" for the "Veteran" tag by sending me a PM as well, and I'll review your submission/application along with the other Moderators and Admins, and inform you of the outcome.

Maybe just make it an automated daily cron job. If any user reaches the requirements, grant them the veteran tag and send a congratulatory email.

The 3rd requirement is enough to prevent abandoned LET accounts from getting the Veteran role.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

7 more years to go, and I'll have it lol. (Other requirements easily met)

• Too few post to be eligible.... :D

• @qps said:

@DP said: The account has made at least 100 comments over the past 2 years, counting from today's date, so that would be from the 8th of August 2021.

I suspect I meet all of them but this one I'm not sure about. I lurk a lot unless it's popcorn time.

I vote qps should get the label.

Purely because he's been around long enough to feel it in his bones everytime it feels like it's going to rain. He just doesn't participate in the bullshit. He watches.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: He watches.

Well, you can be a voyeur or a participant. There are better places for watching.

• I don't get it... why would people need acknowledgement of how old they are in a community? What's next: offers just for veterans? Is there something planned for other members to also be switched from members to veterans, but for some donation in bilohbucks? It seems for the special few, Veteran tag even replaces Member tag at this point.

In my opinion such tags are not needed (except Provider tag). If this Vanilla board would have some automated fun script, to reward achievements based on posts, age, logins, thanks, and so on... then it would be fine (I guess). But I don't quite enjoy seeing elderly people being categorised out of nowhere after 10 years. In my opinion it is enough how governments and corporations want to control our thinking and categorise us accordingly to avoid future protests or their dethroning.

What I would want to see in LET is some form of verification with the purpose of separating bots and scalpers from legit consumers who want to enjoy a special offer. Because of bots, really low-end offers get flooded at provider website, or distributed onto different forums; instead legit consumers get nothing while scalpers get to resell these offers into auctions afterwards. Should I be proud to be a veteran and see this repeating itself over and over especially on Black Friday and Cyber Monday events?

The big problems of abusers need to be addressed. Let's not forget the fiasco of Black Friday where bots got so many nice cakes. I am here for 10 years now, not for tags, but mainly for the offers, because offers pulled me into LET more than 10 years ago. This is what makes LET fun: bringing providers and consumers closer together for the love of servers. If only LET could help providers in targeting and validating legit consumers with very cheap offers, without risk of abuses, without transfers from scalpers, without flooded support - this could surely drop the price even further and make the offers even crazier.

Congratulations to all veterans!

🥳

• @Maounique said:

@HalfEatenPie said: He watches.

Well, you can be a voyeur or a participant. There are better places for watching.

👀

• @default said:
    I don't get it... why would people need acknowledgement of how old they are in a community? What's next: offers just for veterans? Is there something planned for other members to also be switched from members to veterans, but for some donation in bilohbucks? It seems for the special few, Veteran tag even replaces Member tag at this point.

In my opinion such tags are not needed (except Provider tag). If this Vanilla board would have some automated fun script, to reward achievements based on posts, age, logins, thanks, and so on... then it would be fine (I guess). But I don't quite enjoy seeing elderly people being categorised out of nowhere after 10 years. In my opinion it is enough how governments and corporations want to control our thinking and categorise us accordingly to avoid future protests or their dethroning.

What I would want to see in LET is some form of verification with the purpose of separating bots and scalpers from legit consumers who want to enjoy a special offer. Because of bots, really low-end offers get flooded at provider website, or distributed onto different forums; instead legit consumers get nothing while scalpers get to resell these offers into auctions afterwards. Should I be proud to be a veteran and see this repeating itself over and over especially on Black Friday and Cyber Monday events?

The big problems of abusers need to be addressed. Let's not forget the fiasco of Black Friday where bots got so many nice cakes. I am here for 10 years now, not for tags, but mainly for the offers, because offers pulled me into LET more than 10 years ago. This is what makes LET fun: bringing providers and consumers closer together for the love of servers. If only LET could help providers in targeting and validating legit consumers with very cheap offers, without risk of abuses, without transfers from scalpers, without flooded support - this could surely drop the price even further and make the offers even crazier.

Congratulations to all veterans!

🥳

I get your point. But let me give you a counterpoint.

It's just a label to try and stimulate value to those with longer tenure and regular contributions to the forum. LET has a revolving door of users and maybe using this as a medium to recognize tenure and just some kind fun small thing that also incentivizes people to stick around longer.

The things you're highlighting are definitely valid, but mate this is just something that's a laugh.

Thanked by 2default FrankZ
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

This is nice!

EDIT:
    Maybe next year for me :p

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • must all three conditions be met?

The account has reached 10 years of age (from today's date).
    The account has at least 3000 visits count.
    The account has made at least 100 comments over the past 2 years, counting from today's date, so that would be from the 8th of August 2021.

i am here since december 2017 and have 551 vistis. so in almost 6 years 550 visits. extrapolated to 10 years it would be 916 visits and far web from 3000 :)

• KrisKris Member

Oh no, realized I'm getting old.

About 60 posts short due to falling off the earth late 2019 due to losing someone close & been lurking since.

Maybe next year.

• emreemre Member, LIR

@DP

what am I missing?

emre
    Username emre Email [email protected] Joined January 2013 Visits 12,230 Last Active August 4 Roles Member, LIR Do you own, operate, or work for a hosting provider? No Thanked 374

Thanked by 2Dvo ariq01
  • @emre said:
    what am I missing?

You might have missed expressing yourself a hundredfold during the span of the last couple of years.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2023

Thanks, like I need another reminder I am getting old. I was only in my early 40's when I joined.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • emghemgh Member

Darn it!

This discussion has been closed.