Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iDrive e2 (S3-compatible): down since Friday afternoon last week (4+ days). No ETA for resolution - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iDrive e2 (S3-compatible): down since Friday afternoon last week (4+ days). No ETA for resolution

Comments

• Im also a customer at idrive and i have also a bucket in frankfurt but it was up the whole time.

• @gbzret4d said:
    Im also a customer at idrive and i have also a bucket in frankfurt but it was up the whole time.

Message was "Frankfurt region under maintenance" but not all customers were impacted. I guess it depends on the clusters/servers.

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • @kzed said: Or you could try tebi.io they offer first 25gb for free.

Wow. Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look. Right now i'm using 3 combinations. GDrive, Koofr and Cloudflare R2. It's all free :) Mainly use Rclone for backup the websites.

• @tedtomato said:
    Interesting reliability (or rather unreliability) stats here.

Looks like iDrive e2 are having a bad week...every week (and quite far from the 99.9% availability advertised), and the tool below is not even reporting/aware of the recent 5 day complete outage in Frankfurt for some customers...

Glad these reliability stats I posted a while ago are being useful!

From what I understand, IDrive outsources their engineering and support to developing countries.

My guess is they're maintaining individual servers manually, and your buckets are only stored on one server in a region. So if a technician screws up a server, it can be days before they get enough complaints to bother fixing it.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • @default said:

@tedtomato said:
    This is not enterprise-grade level (as they would want people to believe from their website) but more like 3 guys in a shed type of operations.

Now imagine 3 guys in a shed, for a whole day, with a lot of adult video files hosted on their HDDs by customers. On top of that you want them to reply to you in support chat. Now you tell me this does not sound awkward.

More like 30 guys being paid the combined salary of what 3 engineers would be paid in the US.

• @manouchehri said:
    My guess is they're maintaining individual servers manually, and your buckets are only stored on one server in a region. So if a technician screws up a server, it can be days before they get enough complaints to bother fixing it.

Given the length of my outage, and other stats I have seen, then yes, they probably have data stored on one server, zero resilience.

Perfectly fine for hobbyist data that is not critical and can wait for a few days to be accessed again, but very far from what they advertise (99.9% availability, which is not possible without resilience, and suitability for live, critical data).

• @tedtomato said:

@manouchehri said:

Given the length of my outage, and other stats I have seen, then yes, they probably have data stored on one server, zero resilience.

Perfectly fine for hobbyist data that is not critical and can wait for a few days to be accessed again, but very far from what they advertise (99.9% availability, which is not possible without resilience, and suitability for live, critical data).

It also makes sense that some servers have had expired certificates on them. It's probably a manual maintenance process for each server.

Confirmed that IDrive E2 is using MinIO on their backend. Found this on LinkedIn.

Thanked by 2ariq01 kdh
  • I once got a server down for less than 8 hours and by the end of it i had suicidal thoughts

Thanked by 1manouchehri
  • Oh, myw's backup stopped since 27 Jul.

• bjobjo Member

I used there Frankfurt site to store 150GB of data and got billed 5 USD some days after - seems like mounting the bucket via s3fs and running borg on it downloaded the whole bucket every day. Free egress only fits if you download less then 3 times of the stored data per month.

Thanked by 1gartenzaun
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

not good i was looking at idrive e2 as a contendor for wasabi s3

• Someone is reporting that his storage in Virginia has been down for more than a week now...

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited August 2023

@bjo said:
    I used there Frankfurt site to store 150GB of data and got billed 5 USD some days after - seems like mounting the bucket via s3fs and running borg on it downloaded the whole bucket every day. Free egress only fits if you download less then 3 times of the stored data per month.

I wouldn't leave my credit card details with those guys. Best option is to pay by Paypal and then cancel the recurring payment on Paypal, so that they can't take further money after the initial payment is made (assuming buying for 12 months).

• @Jasonhyperhost said: not good i was looking at idrive e2 as a contendor for wasabi s3

Actually there are some alternatives, like Cloudflare R2, Contabo Object Storage and Tebi. I used both Cloudflare R2 and Tebi, it's pretty solid so far.

• Are you still having problems? I have been using them for a year in Frankfurt and it's been awesome. Just a couple of minor hiccups so far resolved very quickly.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Oh, myw's backup stopped since 27 Jul.

Ticket please so I can check this. 👌

• @MikePT said:

@hiphiphip0 said:

Do you work for iDrive???

• LisoLiso Member

@tedtomato said:

@MikePT said:

@hiphiphip0 said:

No, he's the owner of myw. I assume myw use idrive for its backup (CMIIW)

Thanked by 3tedtomato MikePT ariq01
  • @MikePT said:

No hurry, let's wait until iDrive solves it.

Oh, I see terminal and x-ray in direct admin panel, so cool!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • emghemgh Member

I just visited the site once about s year ago and understood right away that it was trash

Last few years I’ve noticed with all host fuck ups on here it’s like I’ve trained some internal AI to know when something is bad

Can’t say why

• emghemgh Member

And for those of you who use this for backups, come on, use Backblaze/AWS or something

If you use it for very regular downloads, Cloudflare R2 is very appealing

Obviously not as cheap, but at least you can sleep well at night (and I’d still revommend not only having the backup at one place)

Thanked by 1kdh
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2023

@emgh said:
    Obviously not as cheap, but at least you can sleep well at night (and I’d still revommend not only having the backup at one place)

True, having one backup in one place is wrong. But only one backup might be good in some cases, as long as this backup is extremely reliable and you get notifications when something goes wrong, so that you may create another backup solution for your data afterwards (outside existing provider).

The problem in this case is not the backup or the concept of backup. The elephant in the room is iDrive who disappointed its customers and did not even notify them with regards outage or about reliability beforehand (like SLA warning when ordering).

As @emgh pointed out, maybe now is a good time to think about other providers for backups. This is low-end market where offers are welcomed. It seems offers for storage are highly needed now, due to iDrive mistakes.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@default said:

True, having one backup in one place is wrong.

Correct, multiple backups are always useful. Also, we must keep our backups in different locations.

Thanked by 1ehab

@hiphiphip0 said:

@MikePT said:

No hurry, let's wait until iDrive solves it.

Oh, I see terminal and x-ray in direct admin panel, so cool!

Yep, we provide all that! :D

@Liso said:

@tedtomato said:

@MikePT said:

@hiphiphip0 said:

No, he's the owner of myw. I assume myw use idrive for its backup (CMIIW)

Correct, very affordable to us. We'll also submit a ticket with them to try to rush things.

• Interesting, keep following this thread. What I wonder is if the crazy prices and promotions on the iDrive could be the reason for their increased downtime.

As well they don't seem to be stating how redundant their data is - according to someone's digging (I can't remember which one) they are based on minio-processed S3 clusters, so redundancy should be an important metric, not just claiming a string of 9's for data reliability, right?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2023

@danblaze said:
    Interesting, keep following this thread. What I wonder is if the crazy prices and promotions on the iDrive could be the reason for their increased downtime.

As well they don't seem to be stating how redundant their data is - according to someone's digging (I can't remember which one) they are based on minio-processed S3 clusters, so redundancy should be an important metric, not just claiming a string of 9's for data reliability, right?

It is best to be a good technician and assume the worst. I consider at least 2 backups. The moment one backup fails (whether is cold storage or some cloud storage) make another backup. In this case if iDrive has failed after multiple days, make another backup with some other cloud provider; just to be safe until iDrive gets their business in order.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

I cry everytime when my credit card is charged by Backblaze but I get a sound sleep at night, knowing my data is safe (mostly family photos).

Backblaze may seem to be costly but it's worth every penny for the amount of service it's delivering.

I never had any problem with them. Last I contacted them was due to fault in their android app.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited August 2023

@danblaze said:
    Interesting, keep following this thread. What I wonder is if the crazy prices and promotions on the iDrive could be the reason for their increased downtime.

Their poor uptime (across many regions) is just by design: they probably store customer data on single servers (the very unique end-points provided is an indication), and servers go down. They have no resilience, so when a server goes down, it takes days to rebuild.

If it was advertised as the product it actually is, then wouldn't be an issue. Resilience does cost money, and they are cheap.

The issue is that they deceive people advertising their service as an enterprise-grade solution with "99.9% availability" that can be used for storing "critical and live data". Check their website.

They perfectly know it's not true, by design.

Thanked by 1manouchehri
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Vultr NJ object storage has been down for most of August too, and they definately arent using a single server.