Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iDrive e2 (S3-compatible): down since Friday afternoon last week (4+ days). No ETA for resolution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iDrive e2 (S3-compatible): down since Friday afternoon last week (4+ days). No ETA for resolution

tedtomatotedtomato Member
edited July 2023 in General

My bucket in Frankfurt has been inaccessible since Friday afternoon last week, so that's more than 4 days now.

Logging on the web interface, I can see a "maintenance" message/warning about the Frankfurt region. Bucket is not listed at all, so wouldn't be able to retrieve any files if I wanted.

I have raised so far several support tickets with iDrive, and they are yet to come back on any of those with an update, more information or ETA. No providing any update to customer is surely adding to the annoyance.

From their website: "IDrive ® e2 storage infrastructure delivers eleven 9s of data durability, irrespective of the data size set and the frequency of uploads and downloads. The high availability of data makes it suitable for storing critical and primary data."

Not impressed.

They might be cheap (compared to Wasabi, Backblaze B2 or other S3-compatible storage), but this is turning into very cold storage.

Having checked their T&C, I think their liability would be up to $100 if data has been completely lost (which is not completely surprising given the low cost paid, but quite far from their confidence on other pages).

I assume they have spare hardware in case of hardware failure, so it must be a data storage issue...

Thanked by 2mrTom darkimmortal

Comments

• OK

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Keep us updated! Let’s hope the data is ok.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

OK.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • zoyozoyo Member

Alas, I have, or I guess, I had my 1 TB in Frankfurt, too. Almost a week gone, they are "working on it".

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • Pay close attention to this post! I'm on the fence about becoming a customer of their service for a couple hundred tb of storage.

Really hoping this is just a fluke. Otherwise I'll have to go elsewhere.

I sympathize with your experience.

• srch07srch07 Member

@danblaze said:
    Pay close attention to this post! I'm on the fence about becoming a customer of their service for a couple hundred tb of storage.

In same boat.

Thanked by 1tedtomato
  • TimRooTimRoo Member

@danblaze said:
    Pay close attention to this post! I'm on the fence about becoming a customer of their service for a couple hundred tb of storage.

Potential customer myself, and I'm watching this. The two things I'm keeping in mind are:
    1. They're the low cost leader at $20/TB/yr now. You get what you pay for, but that doesn't excuse current customers who paid more getting bad service.
    2. They have multiple sites, and the issue seems to be with only one of them. Not a good sign that it's taking this long to fix it, but it does seem limited. If you can spread buckets to different sites, that seems wise.

Thanked by 1default
  • mrTommrTom Member

Are they communicating with affected customers?

• TimRooTimRoo Member

@mrTom said:

Sounds like that's the problem. Nothing beyond the notice when people login, apparently.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2023

Has anyone outside of OP used this with Plex? If so, what’s your review on iDrive?

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said:
    Has anyone used this with Plex yet? (Outside of the OP.) If so, thoughts?

Has worked flawlessly for me.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy TimRoo
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Is iDrive still down?

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I have found out to my use cometbackup with idrive correctly I need a separate account.

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited July 2023

@mrTom said:

Zero communication and no answer to various support tickets. At least they could say "it is likely to take x days to fix"...

edited July 2023

@TimRoo said:

@danblaze said:

Potential customer myself, and I'm watching this. The two things I'm keeping in mind are:
    1. They're the low cost leader at $20/TB/yr now. You get what you pay for, but that doesn't excuse current customers who paid more getting bad service.
    2. They have multiple sites, and the issue seems to be with only one of them. Not a good sign that it's taking this long to fix it, but it does seem limited. If you can spread buckets to different sites, that seems wise.

1. Yes, they are low cost, but why do they put on their website "The high availability of data makes it suitable for storing critical and primary data."

It's clearly far from the case in terms of resilience/design/set-up, hence the likely misexpectations (or just plain misadvertising).

1. Yes, they have multiple sites/regions, but no automatic replication of buckets between sites possible, as far as I am aware. You would need to copy the data yourself, but then you might as well copy to another provider for better resilience.
    Thanked by 1TimRoo
    edited July 2023

@default said:
    Is iDrive still down?

Seems to be back up now. Was still down a few hours ago when I checked, so total outage of 5+ days. Zero communication yet, nothing on the admin console (apart from the "maintenance" error removed).

Thanked by 1default
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2023

@tedtomato said:
    [...] You would need to copy yourself, but then you might copy to another provider for better resilience.

True. I use Koofr. I did not feel that attracted of iDrive, even though I tried iDrive on their $1 offer (about 3 years ago).

If anyone is interested, there is currently a lifetime offer at Stacksocial with regards to Koofr. However, this whole problem with iDrive might be just something extremely rare - so one might need to think things through before switching to anything else. iDrive still seems unbeatable at $20/TB/year.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Guys, you don't get reliability, free egress and $0.004/GB in the same sentence. Especially true for regions other than Germany. Make what you will out of that.

• @default said:
    However, this whole problem with iDrive might be just something extremely rare - so one might need to think things through before switching to anything else. iDrive still seems unbeatable at $20/TB/year.

Yes, might be very rare. Didn't have any noticeable downtime the first 10 months.

iDrive e2 may be a suitable as a secondary cheap and cheerful cloud storage/backup location, but surely not a primary one (despite what their website says).

I have zero confidence in them now, and lack of communication/response to support tickets for 5 days shows their lack of maturity.

I am done with them now, moving everything to Hetzner (Storage Box).

Thanked by 3default umzak loay
    edited July 2023

Apparently "99.9% uptime guaranteed":

https://www.cloudwards.net/idrive-e2/

"Is IDrive e2 Reliable?
    Yes, IDrive e2 is a reliable service that guarantees an uptime of 99.9%."

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/13/idrive-launches-e2-a-new-s3-compatible-object-storage-service/

"99.9% uptime SLA"

https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/service-level-agreement

"We provide assurance that our Services will be accessible at least 99.9% of the time at its data center via the designated access methods, which may include the Service’s web interface or compatible third-party application of your choice"

Thanked by 2loay mrTom
    edited July 2023

Interesting reliability (or rather unreliability) stats here.

Looks like iDrive e2 are having a bad week...every week (and quite far from the 99.9% availability advertised), and the tool below is not even reporting/aware of the recent 5 day complete outage in Frankfurt for some customers...

When they have issues, they go on for days.

23rd April and following days were not good for London (outages each day), Frankfurt (279 min down) or San Jose (down time every day).

18th May, another bad week

16th March, another bad week

Frankfurt seems to be their worst location by far, followed by San Jose, London.

Thanked by 3umzak loay default
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited July 2023

@danblaze said:

Shit storms like this can have a net positive effect if they take appropriate steps to ensure that it never happened again.

You can find stories on LET of hosts that had major power or bandwidth issues and then recover 1000% as they've learned they don't ever want to do that again.

edited July 2023

@TimboJones said:

Shit storms like this can have a net positive effect if they take appropriate steps to ensure that it never happened again.

You can find stories on LET of hosts that had major power or bandwidth issues and then recover 1000% as they've learned they don't ever want to do that again.

If you look at my post above with outages from various weeks in the past few months, iDrive e2 doesn't seem to improve based on past experience/frequent outages.

They don't seem to care, which would be perfectly fine, if they were selling a "cheap and cheerful" hobbyist grade cloud storage, as opposed to some so-called enterprise-grade solution with "99.9% availability" that can be used for storing "critical and live data". Simply disingenuous advertising and claims, and that's the main issue.

The reality is: it's cheap and cheerful cloud storage, with probably 95 to 99% actual availability (or more like 84% for Frankfurt over the last month, given the consecutive 120 hours outage), and zero support/communication when there are issues (that can last for days). Might still appeal to some people as very cheap cold/secondary storage. People just need to know what they are buying.

Thanked by 3mrTom TimRoo emgh
  • @tedtomato said:
    I have raised so far several support tickets with iDrive, and they are yet to come back on any of those with an update, more information or ETA.

Why would you create multiple tickets for the same requests? This is a bad practice. For any company, a customer doing this only makes things harder. :)

edited July 2023

@anbelevebel said:

@tedtomato said:
    I have raised so far several support tickets with iDrive, and they are yet to come back on any of those with an update, more information or ETA.

Why would you create multiple tickets for the same requests? This is a bad practice. For any company, a customer doing this only makes things harder. :)

So because they had two or three tickets, they shouldn't respond to any of those after 7 days, nor provide updates to impacted customers? Is that good practice too?

Actually, I only created one myself (web form). I contacted them on chat twice, and that created tickets.

Their support and comms is basically zero, when they have outages (never a good practice). This is not enterprise-grade level (as they would want people to believe from their website) but more like 3 guys in a shed type of operations.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@tedtomato said:
    This is not enterprise-grade level (as they would want people to believe from their website) but more like 3 guys in a shed type of operations.

Now imagine 3 guys in a shed, for a whole day, with a lot of adult video files hosted on their HDDs by customers. On top of that you want them to reply to you in support chat. Now you tell me this does not sound awkward.

Thanked by 2tedtomato kdh
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited July 2023

That's why i moved from iDrive to Wasabi. But i realized i don't need more than 10GB to store my backup files. So i might out from Wasabi this month.

I can just use Google Drive or Cloudflare R2, it's free and super reliable for sure, or i might try Contabo? Pricing looks decent.

• MumblyMumbly Member

@anbelevebel said:

@tedtomato said:

There are worse things to comment.
    As exaple complete ignorance of clients for week or more at the time of service outage ;)
    No excuse for that. That's one extremely crappy service.

Thanked by 2tedtomato emgh
  • So I have been looking for a backup solution and honestly while iDrive seems cheap.. I guess you get what you pay for? Personally gonna be looking at Wasabi or Cloudflare R2 simply because I do not want to be get a massive bill when I restore from a backup.

• kzedkzed Member

@febryanvaldo said:
    That's why i moved from iDrive to Wasabi. But i realized i don't need more than 10GB to store my backup files. So i might out from Wasabi this month.

I can just use Google Drive or Cloudflare R2, it's free and super reliable for sure, or i might try Contabo? Pricing looks decent.

Or you could try tebi.io they offer first 25gb for free.

Thanked by 1mrTom