Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iDrive e2 object storage now just $20/TB/year
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iDrive e2 object storage now just $20/TB/year

Sometime between July 2nd and today iDrive dropped prices on their e2 object storage by half, with the caveat is that they no longer seem to offer a first year discounted price.

Overage pricing is still $0.004/GB/Month. No changes to their egress policy.

https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/pricing

Now this pricing is pretty competitive compared to what some hosts can offer in terms of storage VPS. I've heard quite a few stories about downtime with e2, so be weary.

Comments

• dosaidosai Member

Is it recurring?

• KebabKebab Member

@dosai said:
    Is it recurring?

It doesn't say that it's a discount so yes, it should be recurring, though they changed the pricing multiple times this year.

• edited July 2023

@dosai said:
    Is it recurring?

Appears to be. Not sure how they are handling current users on the $40/TB/year plan though.

• I'm on the monthly/payg plan and when I try to change plan 1 year is still $40 for me. Anyone else?

• loayloay Member

This is better than Hetzner Storage boxes now!

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @vitobotta said: I'm on the monthly/payg plan

Do you recommend it?

• @jahrinc said:

@vitobotta said: I'm on the monthly/payg plan

Do you recommend it?

It has been rock solid for me for one year. Only minor hiccups with performance a couple of times max and they were resolved super quickly

• @vitobotta said: It has been rock solid for me for one year. Only minor hiccups with performance a couple of times max and they were resolved super quickly

Good to hear, can I ask what is your use case? I've been thinking of using it to kinda offload the price of R2, it has worked flawlessly for video serving so far, but yeah. $15/TB is kinda rough when starting out.

• @jahrinc said:

@vitobotta said: It has been rock solid for me for one year. Only minor hiccups with performance a couple of times max and they were resolved super quickly

Good to hear, can I ask what is your use case? I've been thinking of using it to kinda offload the price of R2, it has worked flawlessly for video serving so far, but yeah. $15/TB is kinda rough when starting out.

I use e2 for both user uploads/media, and for backups. Like I said, rock solid and very fast for me

• @jahrinc said:

With R2 you seemingly get unmetered bandwidth even for non-HTML content, but e2 has a stricter usage policy: https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/faq-account-management#egress-policy

• @CyberneticTitan said: With R2 you seemingly get unmetered bandwidth even for non-HTML content, but e2 has a stricter usage policy:

Yeah I saw, but since I proxy I also cache popular files on my servers so that 1:3 ratio is more than enough for me.

@vitobotta said: Like I said, rock solid and very fast for me

Awesome thanks!

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited July 2023

Yes, I have noticed the price drop too yesterday.

However, my bucket in Frankfurt has been down since Friday afternoon/evening (so two days now).

First time for the last 10 months that I have seen some serious downtime. I don't know if it's the whole region or just my server.

My other bucket in Montreal is still fine.

edited July 2023

@CyberneticTitan said:
    with the caveat is that they no longer seem to offer a first year discounted price.

Promotional price is still $10 for 1TB for one year on new account (Veeam offer, tick box when creating new accounts)

• Boy, the price drop was a very pleasant surprise. I was considering building my own minio cluster before, but now it seems like it's not necessary at all. After all, building your own cluster is not much cheaper than e2, but the O&M costs are much higher.

I have some questions, e2 generates them at 10G export speeds, is this indeed the case when pulling multiple files in parallel?

How stable is e2 overall? I've seen some downtime, however how long does it last and do they resolve it quickly?

Are there any real users who can answer these questions?

• @danblaze said:

How stable is e2 overall? I've seen some downtime, however how long does it last and do they resolve it quickly?

Has been stable for me over the last 10 months...apart from the last 2 days. My storage bucket in Frankfurt (Germany) has been down. Apparently, they are working on it.

• @tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

Has been stable for me over the last 10 months...apart from the last 2 days. My storage bucket in Frankfurt (Germany) has been down. Apparently, they are working on it.

Sure sounds like the 11 9’s they claim

• MoopahMoopah Member

@darkimmortal said:

@tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

I literally laughed out loud when I saw their FAQ stating 11 9s of uptime. That's maximum of 0.3 milliseconds (300 microseconds) of downtime a year.

• @Moopah said:

@darkimmortal said:

@tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

I literally laughed out loud when I saw their FAQ stating 11 9s of uptime. That's maximum of 0.3 milliseconds (300 microseconds) of downtime a year.

The 11 9's are for data durability, not availability. Google cloud and AWS also have 11 9's claims for data durability.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@Moopah said:

@darkimmortal said:

@tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

The 11 9's are for data durability, not availability. Google cloud and AWS also have 11 9's claims for data durability.

It’s a pretty bad interpretation of 11 9’s durability if they can’t spin up one of the mirrors in place of the original within hours. Malicious compliance territory almost

• @darkimmortal said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

@Moopah said:

@darkimmortal said:

@tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

It’s a pretty bad interpretation of 11 9’s durability if they can’t spin up one of the mirrors in place of the original within hours. Malicious compliance territory almost

You're once again referring to availability. Durability refers to data loss.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited July 2023

@CyberneticTitan said:

@darkimmortal said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

@Moopah said:

@darkimmortal said:

@tedtomato said:

@danblaze said:

You're once again referring to availability. Durability refers to data loss.

Yep I’m questioning how they reach that durability figure without being able to restore from the mirrors/backups that provide it within a reasonable timescale. They’re either telling porkies or it’s not entirely fit for purpose. Downtime beyond the time required to rewrite a 20TB disk is getting ridiculous

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

@loay said:
    This is better than Hetzner Storage boxes now!

I don't think so, the 1:3 ratio is not enough :p

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran
    edited July 2023

@tedtomato said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    with the caveat is that they no longer seem to offer a first year discounted price.

Promotional price is still $10 for 1TB for one year on new account (Veeam offer, tick box when creating new accounts)

https://app.idrivee2.com/signup?special=true seems no this price, already tick the Veeam offer

it show as "S3 compatible Cloud Storage (7-day Free Trial with 1 TB)"

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Running backups to their service. Works fine. 👌

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@vitobotta said: I'm on the monthly/payg plan and when I try to change plan 1 year is still $40 for me. Anyone else?

yes. I'm seeing $40 not $20
    may be its for new customers?
    I'll send them a ticket and ask.

edited July 2023

@hotsnow said:

@tedtomato said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

https://app.idrivee2.com/signup?special=true seems no this price, already tick the Veeam offer

it show as "S3 compatible Cloud Storage (7-day Free Trial with 1 TB)"

Yes, 7 day trial and then $10 for a year for 1TB if you actually buy something. Red button at the top.

edited July 2023

@MikePT said:
    Running backups to their service. Works fine. 👌

I am running backups to their service too. Frankfurt has been down since Friday afternoon and still down now (almost 2.5 days later). Going to the web interface, I can't even see the bucket (just an error message and that they are working on it) so wouldn't be able to recover the files if I had to.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @darkimmortal said:

Where do they claim that? Can't find anything on the website.

• Is there any info which control panel does it use?

• @MajorGap said:
    Is there any info which control panel does it use?

https://min.io/

Thanked by 2MajorGap BasToTheMax