Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IONOS VPS don't offer IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IONOS VPS don't offer IPv6

EmuAGREmuAGR Member
edited June 2023 in Providers

Hello!

My customer was already using their hosting services and they started to ask for 7€/mo to maintain PHP7.4 support since March (honestly Prestashop 8 with PHP8 isn't ready yet for production). So I had to move their shop to a VPS plan, and I chose the S tier to have plenty of resources.

The VPS didn't come with IPv6 and I tried to add one from the panel, but all options were greyed out. I contacted via phone with them and they confirmed that the new plans from mid-May onwards don't allow any more than one IP to be set (so no IPv6 either).

So here I am, 2023 and my customer's website lost IPv6 support. :neutral:

Any similar experiences to mine?
Regards.

P.S. I've asked moderation to move the thread, not sure why it was posted in Requests instead of Providers. Sorry for that!

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2023

They do have the "Cloud VPS" which is overpriced and has no IPv6, but also the "regular" cheaper VPS package, that does have IPv6.

Do you got the regular one or the Cloud one?

• EmuAGREmuAGR Member
    edited June 2023

@Neoon said:

They tried to lure my customer to the cloud one, but I cancelled that and set up the regular VPS line as he won't need scalability at all.

EDIT: But I think the new regular VPS are also setup in the same cloud panel, so... It's the "VPS Linux S" from here but located in Spain: https://www.ionos.co.uk/servers/vps

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2023

@EmuAGR said:

@Neoon said:

They tried to lure my customer to the cloud one, but I cancelled that and set up the regular VPS line as he won't need scalability at all.

These should have IPv6, if you go on Network, you should be able to allocate IPv6.
    Maybe its the Location.

• EmuAGREmuAGR Member
    edited June 2023

@Neoon said:
    These should have IPv6, if you go on Network, you should be able to allocate IPv6.
    Maybe its the Location.

I tried, but it's greyed out. Customer support just said adding another IP address isn't planned for the time being (and IPv6 counts as an extra IP address). Maybe it's the location as you said.

The screenshot is in Spanish (I couldn't find the language selector), but you can see here everything's disabled and "advanced" is just reverse DNS config:

• I recommend using tunnelbroker.net as a temporary solution until you decide to buy another vps from another provider

Thanked by 1neel_qeru
  • IONOS is the worst provider for any service you could possibly get. You couldn't pay me to use any of their services. Leave now and never look back.

• neel_qeruneel_qeru Member, Host Rep

@BetaRacks said:
    I recommend using tunnelbroker.net as a temporary solution until you decide to buy another vps from another provider

While IPv6 is a hard requirement if I were starting a VPS host (which I have at my host Qeru), tunnelbroker.net is great if you have a v4-only VPS.

Thanked by 1EmuAGR
  • One warning about IONOS: while I do quite like the quality of their VPS, they require a phone call to cancel a service! I waited for ~30 minutes before getting connected to an agent. If you don't, then they will remove the cancellation request and continue charging you.

Thanked by 1TLDojo
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited June 2023

No IPv6 hall of shame

• GitHub, Globalping
    • Outlook
    • SparkPost
    • ColonCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd, CloudServer, HostNamaste (Dallas), cheapwindowsvps
    • XetHost
    • SoftShellWeb (San Jose only)
    • KhanWebHost (Turkey etc)
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Oplink
    • Leapswitch Networks (except Mumbai)
    • DedicatServer gardens
    • HostTiger HostTigger
    • ForwardWeb
    • SKB Enterprise
    • HostHatch (some locations)
    • Watta Server, ONeil Online
    • HostMayo
    • Private-Hosting di Cipriano Oscar
    • GardenCloud gardens
    • CoreHosting
    • Hye Cloud
    • iHostART (OpenVZ), CloudForest
    • VirmAche, Gullo New York
    • HostVDS
    • FireVPS
    • Rabisu
    • MyHBD
    • RackEdge
    • Hostaris
    • PulsedMedia
    • HOST-C
    • DEPLOYD
    • iNetCloud
    • ADTAQ
    • IONOS

Include IPv6 for no extra cost on every plan in every location to get delisted.

• BetaRacksBetaRacks Member
    edited June 2023

@yoursunny said:
    No IPv6 hall of shame

• GitHub, Globalping
    • Outlook
    • SparkPost
    • ColonCrossing - VirMach, RackNerd, CloudServer, HostNamaste (Dallas), cheapwindowsvps
    • XetHost
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Oplink
    • DedicatServer gardens
    • HostTiger HostTigger
    • ForwardWeb
    • SKB Enterprise
    • HostMayo
    • GardenCloud gardens
    • CoreHosting
    • Hye Cloud
    • HostVDS
    • FireVPS
    • Rabisu
    • MyHBD
    • RackEdge
    • Hostaris
    • PulsedMedia
    • HOST-C
    • DEPLOYD
    • iNetCloud
    • ADTAQ
    • IONOS

And xrea.com idcf.jp

• In other words, GMO and Softbank. It's for Japan.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2023

@EmuAGR said:
    P.S. I've asked moderation to move the thread, not sure why it was posted in Requests instead of Providers. Sorry for that!

Out of curiosity, you should warn them that their help pages are (deliberately?) misleading/deceptive. The vServer/VPS help pages explain how to add IPv6, but the instructions are impossible to follow for they have disabled this functionality.
    Not very serious, so un-German of them.

As a general rule, keep away from Ionos/1&1 - they are circling down the toilet bowl since 2020.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

they do offer ipv6 but they dont make it easy to get one added

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@Jasonhyperhost said:
    they do offer ipv6 but they dont make it easy to get one added

No they don't anymore, not with their VPS line.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited June 2023

@Shot2 said: As a general rule, keep away from Ionos/1&1 - they are circling down the toilet bowl since 2020.

1&1 have been like that for a very long time. I had issues with them spanning back many years, probably looking at around 10 years back now (if not more). They've always been difficult to deal with IMO.

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@EmuAGR said:
    Hello!

My customer was already using their hosting services and they started to ask for 7€/mo to maintain PHP7.4 support since March (honestly Prestashop 8 with PHP8 isn't ready yet for production). So I had to move their shop to a VPS plan, and I chose the S tier to have plenty of resources.

The VPS didn't come with IPv6 and I tried to add one from the panel, but all options were greyed out. I contacted via phone with them and they confirmed that the new plans from mid-May onwards don't allow any more than one IP to be set (so no IPv6 either).

So here you are, 2023, and you don't use CloudFlare or a similar service for IPv6 support.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

So here you are, 2023, and you don't use CloudFlare or a similar service for IPv6 support.

Oh yeah, native IPv6 without ugly dirty crappy hacks is soooo 1995.

Thanked by 2EmuAGR Pixels
  • kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited June 2023

@Shot2 said:

Oh yeah, native IPv6 without ugly dirty crappy hacks is soooo 1995.

No, but it's stupid to come here and complain about it when it can easily be fixed with a free service.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Unless one has little use of IPv6, tunneling hardly "fixes" anything. Makes just things more fragile, problem-prone, and tricky to maintain. (As for going with Cloudflare, well... it's Cloudflare. :# )

Thanked by 3xms yoursunny EmuAGR
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

@Shot2 said:
    Unless one has little use of IPv6, tunneling hardly "fixes" anything. Makes just things more fragile, problem-prone, and tricky to maintain. (As for going with Cloudflare, well... it's Cloudflare. :# )

Yeah, Cloudflare's automatic IPv4/IPv6 gateway is really complicated. :D

• SauronSauron Member
    edited June 2023

@yoursunny said:
    No IPv6 hall of shame

• SparkPost

SparkPost was recently renamed to MessageBird.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

According to some tech support guy at Ionos, the lack of IPv6 on their cheap VPS line is only temporary, due to some reworking of their billing/management UI. It should be back at some point.

Let's see how far it flies. #EinfachGeduldHaben

• Any body here uses Ionos Load Balancers?

• Had written them and Strato an E-Mail with this question six weeks ago.
    Ionos answered with "It is planned, but without a date. please buy a cloud server."
    Strato with: "not planned, who needs IPV6 anyway?"

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • EmuAGREmuAGR Member
    edited September 2023

@kasodk said:

@EmuAGR said:

So you know the website better than me, then. CloudFlare (free tier) was blocking the payments so it had to be disabled, then I tried to config a native address and...

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    • GitHub, Globalping
    • Outlook
    • SparkPost
    • XetHost
    • Wishosting
    • Reprise Hosting
    • HostWebis
    • Oplink
    • DedicatServer gardens
    • HostTiger HostTigger
    • ForwardWeb
    • SKB Enterprise
    • HostMayo
    • GardenCloud gardens
    • CoreHosting
    • Hye Cloud
    • HostVDS
    • FireVPS
    • Rabisu
    • MyHBD
    • RackEdge
    • Hostaris
    • PulsedMedia
    • HOST-C
    • DEPLOYD
    • iNetCloud
    • ADTAQ
    • IONOS

You will be the first to know when we have IPV6 fully implemented. :smiley:

• @iKeyZ said:

@Shot2 said: As a general rule, keep away from Ionos/1&1 - they are circling down the toilet bowl since 2020.

1&1 have been like that for a very long time. I had issues with them spanning back many years, probably looking at around 10 years back now (if not more). They've always been difficult to deal with IMO.

Yeah this isn't a recent issue at all. 1&1 has been terrible forever which is likely when they re-branded as IONOS in the first place. Better to hear a company has "only been bad for a few years" than 10+ years.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ TLDojo
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Wait until you have to cancel your ionos plan .. that will be a pain too 🤣

Thanked by 2dedicados TLDojo
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Shot2 said:
    According to some tech support guy at Ionos, the lack of IPv6 on their cheap VPS line is only temporary, due to some reworking of their billing/management UI. It should be back at some point.

Let's see how far it flies. #EinfachGeduldHaben

It’s sounds that they will charge for IPv6 as superior service with new IPv6 addresses 😂😂😂

• Isn't IPv6 like dead/obsolete now? You still need 6to4 gateways to communicate with the rest of the world so there is no real gain.