Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ICANN issues notice of breach to Epik Domain Registrar - To Terminate Epik's Accredition - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ICANN issues notice of breach to Epik Domain Registrar - To Terminate Epik's Accredition

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jlet88 said: Ouch. That's not what I was hoping to see. The lawyers will be eyeing Terrahost like vultures.

There was a posting somewhere, maybe it was on here, showing that epik holdings holds 100% of the shares in there.

It's a really shitty situation, and now even worse since they settled the $300k+ guy so that they can go ahead with the asset sale, to then fuck over all the people that have claims against them.

Francisco

Thanked by 1emgh
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@Francisco said:

@jlet88 said: Ouch. That's not what I was hoping to see. The lawyers will be eyeing Terrahost like vultures.

There was a posting somewhere, maybe it was on here, showing that epik holdings holds 100% of the shares in there.

It's a really shitty situation, and now even worse since they settled the $300k+ guy so that they can go ahead with the asset sale, to then fuck over all the people that have claims against them.

Francisco

Damn.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

I'm glad that people aren't just buying this anymore:

@terrahost said: This does not affect Terrahost in any way. We are a separate entity

It just dosen't make any sense. The reasoning is just half-assed and that's why it dosen't sound too bad

"We are a separate entity" - yes

But ..

It should have been followed up by:

"Completely owned and therefore controlled by Epik"

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@jlet88 said:

None of this is Terrahost's fault of course, they probably entered into the deal with Epik in good faith with high hopes it was a great opportunity for them, only to later find out what a mess Epik is.

I wish I could believe that, but Epik acquired Terra somewhere early 2022. Anyone with even a little bit of insight into the IT-industry already knew by then what a dumpster fire Epik is.

@malignify said: "Epik has acquired Terrahost as a whole."

From the horses mouth.

Francisco

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@rcy026 said:

@jlet88 said:

None of this is Terrahost's fault of course, they probably entered into the deal with Epik in good faith with high hopes it was a great opportunity for them, only to later find out what a mess Epik is.

I wish I could believe that, but Epik acquired Terra somewhere early 2022. Anyone with even a little bit of insight into the IT-industry already knew by then what a dumpster fire Epik is.

I hear you, and we'll never know how much Terrahost knew or didn't know. But I think it's logical and very fair to say that Terrahost is NOT responsible for the dumpster fire that Epik is.

So to the extent that Terrahost KNEW in advance how bad Epik really was, would be the limit of the extent to which Terrahost is responsible for Terrhost's own current predicament. Which in all fairness, is not a fraction of a fraction of the culpability when you look at what Epik and Rob Monster are accused of today. I mean, how could Terrahost know even 5% of that crap?

Also, according to this press release - https://terrahost.com/themes/terrahost/assets/misc/Epik_Terrahost_PR_07_02_2022.pdf - the acquisition completed in February 2022, but the beginning of their journey to become part of Epik started in April 2021, before many of these scandals were really known or had any meat to them yet, including the big hack, which took place in September 2021. One could argue that Terrahost could have seen the writing on the wall by September 2021 and backed out of the deal, but it might have been too difficult to discern the gravity of the September 2021 hack, and the rolling ball of crap that would be happening after that.

Anyway, I get your point that Terrahost maybe should have "known better" in Feb 2022... maybe... but, again, in all honesty, were all the scandals breaking news by Feb 2022 when they signed that deal?

Hindsight is a bitch though, and I'm sure the CEO of Terrahost wishes he could rewind time.

• emghemgh Member

:open_mouth:

@rcy026 said: I wish I could believe that

I mean it's obviously the drawback of selling a company

Pros: TerraHost shareholders got rich
    Cons: They lose power over their business

Pretending like they sold out but in reality they're as independent as before is just borderline sad

• emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said: Hindsight is a bitch though, and I'm sure the CEO of Terrahost wishes he could rewind time.

Nah bro:

@terrahost said: This does not affect Terrahost in any way

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited June 2023

@emgh - :D I mean, I guess it depends on how big the payout was in Feb 2022.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said:
    @emgh - :D I mean, I guess it depends on how big the payout was.

I agree.

But remember though:

This does not affect Terrahost in any way.

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@emgh said:
    This does not affect Terrahost in any way.

TBH, this statement from them does concern me a little, the more I think about it. It's a kind of wishful thinking or living in denial. Definitely not grounded in reality.

But I guess we'll see what happens. I've got my own "plan B" if things go south with them.

I do hope they can get out from under this mess though. Would be a big shame if they became a casualty of Epik's unraveling.

Thanked by 2emgh MannDude
  • emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said: I do hope they can get out from under this mess though. Would be a big shame if they became a casualty of Epik's unraveling.

100 % agree

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited June 2023

Word is Epik was just sold to a newly formed company: Epik LLC. (I kid you not!)

They took over all assets of value ( the registrar, supposedly including terra) leaving the old Epik Holdings as an empty vessel holding whatever subsidiary of theirs was in debt (mastersucks, amplify etc.).

The new owner (again, supposedly) payed the outstanding debt to the registries.

Will be interesting to see ICANN's response to this shady deal.

Thanked by 4jlet88 emgh JasonM kasodk
  • emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Word is Epik was just sold to a newly formed company: Epik LLC. (I kid you not!)

They took over all assets of value ( the registrar, supposedly including terra) leaving the old Epik Holdings as an empty vessel holding whatever subsidiary of theirs was in debt (mastersucks, amplify etc.).

The new owner (again, supposedly) payed the outstanding debt to the registries.

Will be interesting to see ICANN's response to this shady deal.

Lmao

If true that's way too easy to get away with

That's like class action material

Edit: It's not even smart, it's just the easiest way out lol

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@Saragoldfarb said: Will be interesting to see ICANN's response to this shady deal.

If ICANN gets paid its yearly accredition fees and the customers' domains are renewed/registered/transferred on-time, and the registrar follows its agreements, ICANN will not intervene in the masterbucks, or other businesses of old Epik Holdings, or the new Epik LLC.

the question is: How long the new Epik, LLC along with all the assets it got from former Epik Holdings, will continue to run the ship, or will it wreck in coming months/years?? that is interesting to see.

if new Epik, LLC has new management, directors, etc then we have some hopes, if the former people related to Epik Holdings are running the new Epik, LLC we may see the bad history is repeated.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb

@JasonM said: if new Epik, LLC has new management, directors, etc then we have some hopes, if the former people related to Epik Holdings are running the new Epik, LLC we may see the bad history is repeated.

If you read the filings, Monster is insisting he be put back as CEO/board/etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Saragoldfarb emgh
  • JasonMJasonM Member

@Francisco said: If you read the filings, Monster is insisting he be put back as CEO/board/etc.

OMG!

@JasonM said: OMG!

It's possible that isn't the case, but there's no way he'll just willingly walk away/let it go.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

It's possible that isn't the case, but there's no way he'll just willingly walk away/let it go.

Francisco

Could very well be he's behind it. It's a newly formed Wyoming registered LLC, making use of Registered Agents to stay anonymous.

https://domainnamewire.com/2023/06/03/epik-is-sold/

• JasonMJasonM Member

@Francisco said: It's possible that isn't the case, but there's no way he'll just willingly walk away/let it go.

yeah, after all it was/is his baby!

• emghemgh Member

@Francisco said:

That’s so intresting, I though he was a very understandable man who only operated the company as a way to express his love for the silenced to be able to speak their mind

And now he’s here being part in what I guess most would call a scam, and insists that he gets part of the reward of it?

Yeah, as I said, I knew from the start he wasn’t genuine

• jlet88jlet88 Member

This Wyoming LLC move, specifically leaving the masterbucks obligations behind and screwing over those prior customers, if true, is despicable. Just a matter of time before another lawsuit (or two or three lawsuits) will catch up to them. Question is, will they "settle" their way out of this? How deep are their pockets?

And as for Terrahost -- I guess they already have "new owners." That was fast. But does Terrahost even know who is really running the show at the Wyoming LLC now?

I predict a Netflix documentary coming out in 2024.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @jlet88 said:
    This Wyoming LLC move, specifically leaving the masterbucks obligations behind and screwing over those prior customers, if true, is despicable. Just a matter of time before another lawsuit (or two or three lawsuits) will catch up to them. Question is, will they "settle" their way out of this? How deep are their pockets?

And as for Terrahost -- I guess they already have "new owners." That was fast. But does Terrahost even know who is really running the show at the Wyoming LLC now?

I predict a Netflix documentary coming out in 2024.

I suspect bankruptcy and returning under a new name, possibly with a controlled person as head instead of himself.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@JasonM said:

@Saragoldfarb said: Will be interesting to see ICANN's response to this shady deal.

If ICANN gets paid its yearly accredition fees and the customers' domains are renewed/registered/transferred on-time, and the registrar follows its agreements, ICANN will not intervene in the masterbucks, or other businesses of old Epik Holdings, or the new Epik LLC.

the question is: How long the new Epik, LLC along with all the assets it got from former Epik Holdings, will continue to run the ship, or will it wreck in coming months/years?? that is interesting to see.

if new Epik, LLC has new management, directors, etc then we have some hopes, if the former people related to Epik Holdings are running the new Epik, LLC we may see the bad history is repeated.

This was actually stopped in court yesterday from what I heard as it would have completely screwed over customers. Again, from what I heard, I don't have any documents showing any of this, they're going to be forced into selling assets to cover at least done if their debt obligations.

Thanked by 2JasonM Saragoldfarb
  • Question is who (and why) will stay at Epik after all this mess?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • @moodwriter said:
    Question is who (and why) will stay at Epik after all this mess?

I want it. Where should I send my CV?

• @MrRadic said:

@JasonM said:

This was actually stopped in court yesterday from what I heard as it would have completely screwed over customers. Again, from what I heard, I don't have any documents showing any of this, they're going to be forced into selling assets to cover at least done if their debt obligations.

Where did you hear? As far as I know the deal went through.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@Saragoldfarb said:

@MrRadic said:

@JasonM said:

Where did you hear? As far as I know the deal went through.

Cloudfest

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @Francisco said:

@apollo15 said:

@terrahost said:

@rcy026 said:
    @terrahost does this affect you in any way? Is it time to start moving services?

This does not affect Terrahost in any way. We are a separate entity, and if anything it would just mean a change of ownership.

We are going full freight forward, and as you may know, DC3 is almost at completion these days. The first servers are already in testing and we are bringing clients servers up next week.

Do you know if APIK is looking to sell his Terrahost shares?

What % does they own? I hope not the full 100%

@emgh said:

@apollo15 said:

@terrahost said:

@rcy026 said:
    @terrahost does this affect you in any way? Is it time to start moving services?

This does not affect Terrahost in any way. We are a separate entity, and if anything it would just mean a change of ownership.

We are going full freight forward, and as you may know, DC3 is almost at completion these days. The first servers are already in testing and we are bringing clients servers up next week.

Do you know if APIK is looking to sell his Terrahost shares?

What % does they own? I hope not the full 100%

If they own a substantional % TerraHost just can’t say it won’t mean anything.

The filings showed epik owned 100%.

Francisco

the end.. is nigh

Thanked by 1emgh