Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ICANN issues notice of breach to Epik Domain Registrar - To Terminate Epik's Accredition
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ICANN issues notice of breach to Epik Domain Registrar - To Terminate Epik's Accredition

JasonMJasonM Member
edited June 2023 in General

Finally, ICANN issued notice of breach Registrar Accredition Agreement to Epik domain registrar yesterday, 1st June, 2023 for not paying its accredition fees. ICANN will now terminate Epik's domain registrar accredition after 22nd June, 2023.

https://www.icann.org/uploads/compliance_notice/attachment/1205/hedlund-to-royce-1jun2023.pdf

That's seem to be end of Epik.com as domain registrar who is already facing law suits.

Also, Epik agrees to be sold to some buyer!
Deal would pay off debt to many domain registries, and the new entity might be able to pay back customers.

I've moved my remaining domains from Epik to various other registrars.
If you've not transferred-out your domains from Epik, this upto June, 22nd is the last chance!

Comments

• kaitkait Member
    edited June 2023

Thanks, was hoping they would survive but guess I have to move one domain.

edit: transfer successful thanks @JasonM for the heads up. RIP Epik :disappointed:

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

:/

I got news a few days ago that Rob Monster is finally willing to sell his shares to someone named "Dan" so Royce can start fixing this shit.
    I guess its too late.

(archive)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianmroyce
    (archive)

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@terrahost does this affect you in any way? Is it time to start moving services?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • kaitkait Member

@rcy026 said: @terrahost does this affect you in any way? Is it time to start moving services?

They said before that they can survive without epik.

• defaultdefault Veteran

So far in 2023 we got: ZippyShare, then RARBG, now Epik...

The end is nigh.

• emghemgh Member

@kait said: They said before that they can survive without epik.

Yes, let's trust them.

Epik only owns them.

• Can't say that isn't expected

Thanked by 1bdl
  • kaitkait Member

@emgh said: Yes, let's trust them.

Epik only owns them.

They have money, they just build a new DC in Norway.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kait said:

Epik only owns them.

They're also obligated to say that everything is fine. Which it might be. Just double check the backups real quick.

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited June 2023

@kait said:

Epik only owns them.

It often happens that the budget for a construction project doesn't cover the actual costs, so this could be why they do not have the money to pay ICANN.

In other words, your argument doesn't prove anything.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • emghemgh Member

@kait said:

Epik only owns them.

"They" don't exist.

They're owned by Epik.

If Epik is in deep debt and goes away, why wouldn't TerraHosts assets be used to pay back the debt?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Epik actually refunded me some weeks ago.

But I'm still in the process of moving the remaining names out - just a few more to go.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2023

@kait said: They have money, they just build a new DC in Norway.

It looks like they intend to sell terra to me.

These emails came out in the past couple days in a court filing. From Robert himself. There was another one showing $1.6M in operational debt:

ICANN & Verisign haven't been paid in a hot minute, even though users are paying for renewals. I'm thinking all renewal cash that's coming in is getting fed to the lawyers?

EDIT - linked the wrong image for #1. Fixed.

Francisco

• kaitkait Member

@emgh said: "They" don't exist.

They're owned by Epik.

How is that ownership setup? Maybe TerraHost has enough to buy itself back. All contracts are with Terrahost so they are still their own company.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3571186/#Comment_3571186

• kaitkait Member

@Francisco said: It looks like they intend to sell terra to me.

Wait fr?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@kait said:

Wait fr?

BuyTerra.

Thanked by 1kait

@kait said: Wait fr?

>

Read the 1st image I pasted. I did screw up and paste the wrong one at first, but you can see the fixed one does say they would have to divest from Terra. Given they own 100%, that would be them selling at least part of it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1emgh
  • kaitkait Member

@Francisco said: Read the 1st image I pasted. I did screw up and paste the wrong one at first, but you can see the fixed one does say they would have to divest from Terra. Given they own 100%, that would be them selling at least part of it.

Ah yeah, as long as Terra survives. Epik is dieded.

• What happens to your domains if you don't transfer out by June 22nd?

edited June 2023

Buy it if you can afford it. They are great and would be even better if owned by Frantech instead of Epik.

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited June 2023

• jlet88jlet88 Member

Thanks for all the info. What a mess. Will double-check if I have any remaining accounts with them, and now I'm even thinking of cancelling a service I have with Terrahost until the dust settles. Who knows where these assets will end up, who will own them in the end after all the drama, and even if they will survive what looks like a tragic unwinding and collapse of this business.

@Francisco said:
    It looks like they intend to sell terra to me.

Curious if you've been approached? Is this something you would consider?

@jlet88 said: Curious if you've been approached? Is this something you would consider?

Had no contact with them, not even thought about it.

Namecrane's going to eat whatever bits of spare time I have. Buying a datacenter isn't going to fit anywhere in my plans.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Francisco said:

@jlet88 said: Curious if you've been approached? Is this something you would consider?

Namecrane's going to eat whatever bits of spare time I have. Buying a datacenter isn't going to fit anywhere in my plans.

Francisco

In Norway no less lol

• @Francisco said: Namecrane's going to eat whatever bits of spare time I have. Buying a datacenter isn't going to fit anywhere in my plans.

I believe current Terrahost people are able to run it on its own, all they have to do is get out of Epik mess.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@treesmokah said:

@Francisco said: Namecrane's going to eat whatever bits of spare time I have. Buying a datacenter isn't going to fit anywhere in my plans.

I believe current Terrahost people are able to run it on its own, all they have to do is get out of Epik mess.

You can't ask someone to buy a liability in a foreign country for over a million dollars.... basically for charity.

It was terribly stupid to sell to Rob Monster to begin with and that's their fault for wanting the quick cash.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Francisco said:

Francisco

Happy to see you standing strong for a long time, i remembered back when you offered vps for ro pservers & connecting to them using nomachine a long time ago.

@SirFoxy said: You can't ask someone to buy a liability in a foreign country for over a million dollars.... basically for charity.

Robert valued Epik + Terra at > $160M. Why do you think he would value terra at only $1M?

It's numbers outta his ass with no basis.

Francisco

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
    edited June 2023

@SirFoxy said: You can't ask someone to buy a liability in a foreign country for over a million dollars.... basically for charity.

Would be cool if he did, but of course its his business, his decisions and his responsibility.

I personally have hardware in Terrahost Norway loc colocated but from what I've heard from employees, even if they were to go under, I can get it and grab my hardware.

I'm not really worried about my hardware, but I wish to continue working with Terrahost as they are a very good company who offer quality services.
    Adding Fran's experience and knowledge of management, it would be even better.

@Thundas said: Happy to see you standing strong for a long time, i remembered back when you offered vps for ro pservers & connecting to them using nomachine a long time ago.

>

There's a bunch of RO hosts that still use our 'FrantechOS' setup, with NX and the start/stop/restart/etc buttons.

Francisco