Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux for home use? What OS do you use on your main PC? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux for home use? What OS do you use on your main PC?

Comments

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited April 2023

@Maounique said:
    That is not fair. Libre office, GIMP were made for linux. Maybe should include loading a windows game as well...

this is a good comparison

• PeppermintOS for more than 2 years on the older laptop. Xubuntu before.

ZorinOS on the new laptop.

I haven't used Windows by 7-8 years.

No games at all.

So, by many years I am a Linux user. I am ok with.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • RookeyRookey Member
    edited April 2023

Debian
    Armbian

I forget now in which yesteryear I switched from FreeBSD to Linux. Probably in the late 2000s or early 2010s. Hardware compatibility was one big reason. The other was the lack of packages in FreeBSD back then. You had to compile every single thing from source, which could take hours, and troubleshooting all that took up time too.

• nocloudnocloud Member

It's Official, Debian 12 Bookworm will be fully released on June 10th

https://lwn.net/Articles/930476/

• Kubuntu

• nocloudnocloud Member

244 votes so far, not a bad showing for Linux. I still want to know who voted other OS and what OS they are referring to.

• inlandinland Member

@nocloud said:

lol these numbers are pulled out of thin air

• nocloudnocloud Member

@inland said:

@nocloud said:

lol these numbers are pulled out of thin air

Why do you say that? 100% the guy has cherry picked the comparisons, but it's not fake afaic.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/06/19/infographics-linux-mint-challenges-windows-10-in-small-business-speed-tests-laptop/?fbclid=IwAR0ccZVnZN7LE5jBQB-O22r6TYJHvOoPz6YtmxQxlZ1jjp09NSiEeGiZZSc&sh=4781034d69bb

I don't use office apps or slack but i'm confident GIMP and Firefox on Linux is much faster than on MS windows (any version). Never measured it exactly, but gimp opens seconds, id say 3 maximum on a bad day on my laptop, and in windows I always go back to browsing until it opens because it took so long.

• aRNoLDaRNoLD Member

Windows and MacOS for home pc and for office pc, Linux for VPS, partially for work.

• oyhacooyhaco Member

Using dual boot popOs and win11 run on i5 gen 7.

• alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited May 2023

Windows on my main pc and on the laptop. Yes, I work with linux servers, and I tried several times to migrate to Ubuntu / Mint / other linux and unfortunately, they lack features that I need in everyday life.

For example, in Windows I use a hdmi to usb capture card and Potplayer to record video from some hdmi sources, I never managed to find a way to make it work in Linux (with OBS).

The Focusrite Scarlett audio interface - not working.

Also a lot of apps that I use have only windows versions. NordLocker does not have linux app, DaVinci works in Windows, it doesn't work in Linux (it gives some errors, tried everything I could find on the internet - nothing).

• nocloudnocloud Member

@alexroeu said:
    Windows on my main pc and on the laptop. Yes, I work with linux servers, and I tried several times to migrate to Ubuntu / Mint / other linux and unfortunately, they lack features that I need in everyday life.

For example, in Windows I use a hdmi to usb capture card and Potplayer to record video from some hdmi sources, I never managed to find a way to make it work in Linux (with OBS).

The Focusrite Scarlett audio interface - not working.

Also a lot of apps that I use have only windows versions. NordLocker does not have linux app, DaVinci works in Windows, it doesn't work in Linux (it gives some errors, tried everything I could find on the internet - nothing).

Well Nobara runs DaVinci out of the box. Im not a content creator, but here are 2 videos from people that are, and their opinions on Nobara. The second guy had issues, there are a couple of known issues https://nobaraproject.org/docs/davinci-resolve/

Well it's probably too many hoops to jump through anyway, but worth keeping an eye on to see if they can iron out the problems. But always a chance it will run fine out of the box on Nobara.

Thanked by 1alexroeu
  • SlothieSlothie Member

On my main desktop PC, I was running Windows 10 until I updated the hardware with Ryzen 5700X, 64GB RAM during last year's Black Friday deals. I bought new NVMe drive, so I installed Linux Mint 21 (latest version with Cinnamon UI). Works good for me. I don't play games so I haven't tried any graphic-intensive tasks. Kind of cold turkey, but so far so good. I have an HP printer, and it has a Linux driver which works!

I do have apps that only run on Windows (like some income tax return software...) so I have Win10 running in VirtualBox.

I have a fairly recent laptop that came with and is running Windows 10 (11th gen Intel CPU).

I suppose OS choice is totally up to you and your workload.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

77% of us are running MINIX so the results in your poll are very wrong.

If noclout is so scared of being spied on then he should destroy all his Intel chips right now, because it doesn't matter what operating system you are using when MINIX OS has fully access to all your system, data, peripherals.

Burn those Intel chips noclout, watch Mr. Robot if you need a tutorial.

What is MINIX? The most popular OS in the world, thanks to Intel.

Take a look at your desktop computer. What operating system is it currently running?

Now take a look in your data center — at all of your servers. What operating system are they running?

Linux? Microsoft Windows? Mac OS X? You could be running any of those three — or one of countless others.

But here’s the crazy part: That’s not the only operating system you’re running.

If you have a modern Intel CPU (released in the last few years) with Intel’s Management Engine built in, you’ve got another complete operating system running that you might not have had any clue was in there: MINIX.

That’s right. MINIX. The Unix-like OS originally developed by Andrew Tanenbaum as an educational tool — to demonstrate operating system programming — is built into every new Intel CPU.

MINIX is running on “Ring -3” (that’s “negative 3”) on its own CPU. A CPU that you, the user/owner of the machine, have no access to. The lowest “Ring” you have any real access to is “Ring 0,” which is where the kernel of your OS (the one that you actually chose to use, such as Linux) resides. Most user applications take place in “Ring 3” (without the negative).

The first thing that jumps out at me here: This means MINIX (specifically a version of MINIX 3) is in all likelihood the most popular OS shipping today on modern Intel-based computers (desktops, laptops and servers). That, right there, is absolutely crazy.

The second thing to make my head explode: You have zero access to “Ring -3” / MINIX. But MINIX has total and complete access to the entirety of your computer. All of it. It knows all and sees all, which presents a huge security risk — especially if MINIX, on that super-secret Ring -3 CPU, is running many services and isn’t updated regularly with security patches.
    Google wants to remove MINIX from its internal servers

According to Google, which is actively working to remove Intel’s Management Engine (MINIX) from their internal servers (for obvious security reasons), the following features exist within Ring -3:

Full networking stack
    File systems
    Many drivers (including USB, networking, etc.)
    A web server 

That’s right. A web server. Your CPU has a secret web server that you are not allowed to access, and, apparently, Intel does not want you to know about.

Why on this green Earth is there a web server in a hidden part of my CPU? WHY?

The only reason I can think of is if the makers of the CPU wanted a way to serve up content via the internet without you knowing about it. Combine that with the fact that Ring -3 has 100 percent access to everything on the computer, and that should make you just a teensy bit nervous.

The security risks here are off the charts — for home users and enterprises. The privacy implications are tremendous and overwhelming.

Note to Intel: If Google doesn’t trust your CPUs on their own servers, maybe you should consider removing this “feature.” Otherwise, at some point they’ll (likely) move away from your CPUs entirely.

Note to AMD: Now might be a good time to remove similar functionality from your CPU lines to try to win market share from Intel. Better to do so now before Intel removes the “Management Engine.” Strike while the iron’s hot and all that.

Note to Andrew Tanenbaum: Your operating system, MINIX, is now one of the most used on modern computers! That’s kinda cool, right?

Note to everyone else: We’re all MINIX users now.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

I am currently running:

TinyXP
    Windows XP
    Tiny7
    Windows 10

Currently on the look out for Tiny10 :wink: If anyone knows then please let me know details.

I had a crappy P4 Celeron w/ 256MB RAM laptop and tried all the so-called light weight linux OS's on it which should have worked on it but which instead crawled with bodhi and lubuntu, but surprisingly flew with Windows XP and the drivers all worked. I had prevuously used Ubuntu, Mint and a few other flavours on other better machines and they worked well, but this was the point I consigned linux to the bin.

• I have switched OS yesterday from windows 10 to Lubuntu

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited May 2023

@oyhaco said:

I thought the oldest Intel CPUs supported by win11 were the 8th gen?

• oyhacooyhaco Member

@fredo1664 said:

@oyhaco said:

I thought the oldest Intel CPUs supported by win11 were the 8th gen?

Its not officiallly supported by microsoft but it run without problem.

Thanked by 1fredo1664
  • emperoremperor Member

@asterisk14 said: Note to everyone else: We’re all MINIX users now.

So thats Intel's only so far right ?

• nocloudnocloud Member

I think you're confused about what an OS is. so the poll is accurate. I know how you like to try and create a narrative, it's in your blood.

Here is an article that explains intel ME,

https://www.itechtics.com/intel-management-engine-components/#what-is-intel-management-engine

• @nocloud said:
    I think you're confused about what an OS is. so the poll is accurate. I know how you like to try and create a narrative, it's in your blood.

https://www.itechtics.com/intel-management-engine-components/#what-is-intel-management-engine

I thought you trusted western NATO regime journalists?

• @desperand said:
    i hate desktop linux distro. Nothing conceptually changed since 2008. And this is awful.

Conceptually? What does this mean in the context of Linux desktops? Have any OS's changed conceptually since 2008? If so, which one and HOW?

• brdibrdi Member

fedora exclusively on laptop, desktop mostly fedora, i have a windows 10 install for games

• @roblowend said: Conceptually? What does this mean in the context of Linux desktops? Have any OS's changed conceptually since 2008? If so, which one and HOW?

Windows XP SP 3 = 2008.
    Windows Vista.
    Windows 7
    Windows 8
    Winows 8.1
    Windows 10
    Windows 11

Vista - new interfaces, concepts, tons of description to compare with XP
    7 - tons of optimizations and concept changes and interface & network changes, update changes, driver install changes, etc that make users to stick to this os even till now.
    Windows 8 - new interface & start menu concept.
    Windows 8.1 -new improved interface, and development of win10 concepts.
    Win10 - new start menu, new interfaces, features, control panels, updates, drivers, privacy related options, frameworks, winget, tons of tools, utilities i can count infinity amount of features about win10 that changed between win8.1 and win10. And even infinite of infinity changes if compare to winXP SP3
    win11 - new conceptual interface, features, upgrades, security, interfaces user friendlies, etc.

• nocloudnocloud Member

@asterisk14 said:

@nocloud said:

I thought you trusted western NATO regime journalists?

If you want to continue spreading your hate speech and conspiracy theories, please keep it confined to the Russia / Ukraine thread. Thanks.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @desperand said: infinite of infinity changes

changes != conceptual changes

I do not believe that you and I agree on the word "concept" or "conceptually". I do not agree that adding or changing a detail or feature is a conceptual change in and of itself. If you use your liberal interpretation of the words, then Linux is far more dynamic than Windows.

I have used every Windows from 3.1 on...
    Windows XP was released in 2001.
    Windows Vista was released in 2007.

So much for "2008".

The only conceptual changes I see in Windows desktop releases, even if I accept your EXTREMELY inaccurate dates, are:
    Update options
    Platform extensibility
    Telemetry (congratulations! haha)
    (Failed/incomplete) consolidation of "Settings"

Most Windows power users are not interested in MS fiddling with the UI, hiding options, removing options, or stealing their data. What a concept! 99% of the details you mentioned are either just a UI tweak/gimmick, surpassed by that which Linux has to offer, or something that has nothing to do with the word "concept".

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited May 2023

@roblowend said:

To be honest, I do not find a reason to argue with you on the internet because it makes no sense to me. I'm sorry if I touched your feelings about Linux desktop distros. I do not wish to mock them or somehow affect you personally emotionally because of that.

To be honest, I'm not a regular Windows user. When I was young and stupid, I was part of the unattended scene of Windows and everything related to automation in this movement. I'm talking about stuff that starts from here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install and other stuff related to PE, MVP, image making, keys for installers, WPI, patching, resource edits, "hacking," and things like that, 39 minutes driver installer, driver pack packing/testing/delivering, and so on.

It was my hobby, and I enjoyed it a lot. About Win3.1 - it's okay too. Nothing speaks to me either. I'm younger than you, yes, and have been using it maybe since Win 95 on very old PCs. Yes, I made "animations" with its programming language on ZX Spectrum too. Yes, I used cassettes to play games or run programs. I'm talking about things like this:

And this has nothing to do with knowing the operating system (GUI one). I know Windows a little bit more than the average user because I've seen how tools like TuneUp Utilities, Alcohol 120%, CCleaner developed and where they came from, from what community. A lot of modern software that you see developed by people who came from the same source & same community in the beginning of 2000s. I mean, I can talk a lot about these good old times because I have physical, not theoretical, experience in all of that, in tweaks, in services, in nLite stuff, and $OEM$ folder in image, scripts, scenarios, bat/cmd files and other stuff like that.

And when I wrote above about the "conceptual changes," I mean exactly conceptual, not compatible changes related to APIs, related to many new features, new protocols, new technologies, libs, new ways, and methods for solving new problems and so on. And, of course, I mean changes related to user interface, to sidebars, effects, themes, customizations, and many, many more things.

Desktop Linuxes are stuck in the 2008 era. This sucks, and this is sad. There was a lot of hype around "must die," but in the end, Linux is just a playground tool in the Windows environment right now via WSL, and this sucks.

I don't mean to troll, but all 13-15-year-old problems are still there:

• Bad device support
    • Lack of tools
    • Same toxic community that continues to eat shit and says that everyone must eat it a lot to start smelling and feeling the good taste. And if you don't like eating shit: "You're a fool and didn't get it because you're stupid."

And many, many more things like that: no good clipboard managers, no good screenshot managers, no good merge managers, not bad code editors arrived only a few years ago to Linux. Extremely awful HiDPI support, awful dual display support, printer support, drivers for different device support, lack of macrosing (yes, on the system where a lot of bash & python), and so on and so on and so on.

I don't know why we need to argue that. If everything was so good, the audience that uses Windows would switch to Linux very quickly to avoid paying for tons of software & licenses. But that has not happened, and I think it never will happen in the next 50 years for sure.

P.S. i also can argue a lot about "open source, security, everyone can see the code and edit it" and so on. But can we please stop? This is childish bullshit to me.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2023

@asterisk14 said:
    I am currently running:

TinyXP
    Windows XP
    Tiny7
    Windows 10

Currently on the look out for Tiny10 :wink: If anyone knows then please let me know details.

I had a crappy P4 Celeron w/ 256MB RAM laptop and tried all the so-called light weight linux OS's on it which should have worked on it but which instead crawled with bodhi and lubuntu, but surprisingly flew with Windows XP and the drivers all worked. I had prevuously used Ubuntu, Mint and a few other flavours on other better machines and they worked well, but this was the point I consigned linux to the bin.

I also have quite a zoo of laptops and VMs at home on many I like to install weird old versions from time to time as well as trimmed down ones. This site works miracles:
    https://crustywindo.ws/collection/
    Tiny10 is not there as I can see, but it is available from other sources, check archive.org:
    https://archive.org/details/tiny-10-NTDEV

Thanked by 2asterisk14 ElonBezos
  • deasoftdeasoft Member

Been using Centos 7 for years now. Will be switching to AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux soon.