Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I get a free VPS for educational purpose? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I get a free VPS for educational purpose?

Comments

• @emg said:

@Otus9051 said:

Being student of the school he is in
    We don't have an edu email
    Our school doesn't even have a website

Sounds like a good opportunity for you and @Zephyr to apply your skills. Find out what it takes to get a ".edu" for your school and put up a website for them.

You would acquire real-life work experience and add value to the school. Such activities look very good on college applications. Maybe there are other like-minded students who would join together to share and teach computers. You could establish a capability at the school from the "bottom up."

sounds very funny, u don't know about our school, n about our principal madam, ok let me tell u a story. One day our computer teacher told us (me n @Otus9051) to make a project for the annual day function, n i decide to make a Emotion Detector, then @Otus9051 develop a emotion detector n the project was really good. But just one day before the annual function our computer teacher cancel it. This sucks fr, there is a one more similar story like this, n the fun fact is tht also happen with me n @Otus9051

• @Otus9051 said:

@emg said:

@Otus9051 said:

Sounds like a good opportunity for you and @Zephyr to apply your skills. Find out what it takes to get a ".edu" for your school and put up a website for them.

You would acquire real-life work experience and add value to the school. Such activities look very good on college applications. Maybe there are other like-minded students who would join together to share and teach computers. You could establish a capability at the school from the "bottom up."

yeah yeah
    we know what to do, heck, we are literally the IT guys of the school
    but the principal is shitty

:D

• dosaidosai Member

@Zephyr said:

@emg said:

@Otus9051 said:

sounds very funny, u don't know about our school, n about our principal madam, ok let me tell u a story. One day our computer teacher told us (me n @Otus9051) to make a project for the annual day function, n i decide to make a Emotion Detector, then @Otus9051 develop a emotion detector n the project was really good. But just one day before the annual function our computer teacher cancel it. This sucks fr, there is a one more similar story like this, n the fun fact is tht also happen with me n @Otus9051

Show emotion detector you made.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @dosai said:

@Zephyr said:

@emg said:

@Otus9051 said:

its with @Otus9051, so tell him

• @dosai said:

@Zephyr said:

@emg said:

@Otus9051 said:

oh yeah it was with face-api.js
    i dont have the code, deleted it
    may have it in github

• emgemg Veteran

@Zephyr said:

It sounds like your headmaster and computer teacher are not the most helpful and cooperative people. :-(
    -> Write very good resumes (CVs) for your headmaster and computer teacher, send them to schools all over the area, then wait for the offers to pour in. Perhaps they will accept and their replacements will be better. :-)

Your story is sad, but it happens all too often. On the one hand, ask anybody here how often they have built, debugged, tested, and made their code ready for delivery, only to have the project requirements suddenly change or the entire project cancelled at the last minute. It happens and it feels awful and it doesn't matter than they paid your salary during the time you worked on it. On the other hand, it can be a great joy when your code lives a long time and people still use it years after you delivered it.

(I have also written code where I am sorry I ever wrote it. Don't let that happen to you.)

• @emg said:

@Zephyr said:

It sounds like your headmaster and computer teacher are not the most helpful and cooperative people. :-(
    -> Write very good resumes (CVs) for your headmaster and computer teacher, send them to schools all over the area, then wait for the offers to pour in. Perhaps they will accept and their replacements will be better. :-)

Your story is sad, but it happens all too often. On the one hand, ask anybody here how often they have built, debugged, tested, and made their code ready for delivery, only to have the project requirements suddenly change or the entire project cancelled at the last minute. It happens and it feels awful and it doesn't matter than they paid your salary during the time you worked on it. On the other hand, it can be a great joy when your code lives a long time and people still use it years after you delivered it.

(I have also written code where I am sorry I ever wrote it. Don't let that happen to you.)

1. This is India. You don't get to work anywhere until you are like 30-35 with atleast 5 years of experience

2. I code for myself, and my betterment. Most of my codes are stuff just for fun or practice or for making things easier for me. It does feel good when someone does use it but it doesn't make a difference to me when no one does because I know that this is not something that is supposed to blow up or anything. Keep your expectations to the lowest when you are in India.

Thanked by 2Void chitree
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Otus9051 and @Zephyr, you are still young and you need to understand lots of things. It is true that no two countries or regions have similar culture and educational concepts but becoming representative of a country or system you don't understand yet is not good thing. There are lots of half-backed assumption you have shared here based on your limited knowledge and exposure, refrain from doing that.

Instead, spend sometime in your actual grades, once you are in college, work on the skills you like (assuming coding or sysadmin or whatever), those will help for future job.

And anywhere in the world, there are no high paying jobs for unskilled people, no matter if they are in their teens or 25 or 35.

Lastly, you can easily get decent yearly VM for less than INR 1000 on LET, get one and be done with it.

Thanked by 1beanman109
  • FaraonuFaraonu Member
    edited March 2023

Redacted.

• @Saahib said: Lastly, you can easily get decent yearly VM for less than INR 1000 on LET, get one and be done with it.

I think the problem is this kid wants everything handed to them on a golden platter & doesn't want to have to lift a finger himself - just wants to be given a free VPS for "education". 95% of us already know this "education" use is just going to be a Minecraft server.

They've been given plenty of good advice all the way through to an actual hosting provider offering a free VPS for a month & the response is basically "it's not good enough" or just excuses to why they can't do something, not even a single attempt has been made at any of the suggestions.

I run the ICT at a secondary college & can hand out .edu email addresses with ease which could've been used to setup a Github or Azure edu accounts, but each minute I read more & more of this thread I'm amazed at how entitled this person is & the lack of effort they're even willing to commit.

• I'm sure many generous souls wouldn't mind offering a vps in return for pushups...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Saahib said:
    @Otus9051 and @Zephyr, you are still young and you need to understand lots of things. It is true that no two countries or regions have similar culture and educational concepts but becoming representative of a country or system you don't understand yet is not good thing. There are lots of half-backed assumption you have shared here based on your limited knowledge and exposure, refrain from doing that.

Instead, spend sometime in your actual grades, once you are in college, work on the skills you like (assuming coding or sysadmin or whatever), those will help for future job.

And anywhere in the world, there are no high paying jobs for unskilled people, no matter if they are in their teens or 25 or 35.

Lastly, you can easily get decent yearly VM for less than INR 1000 on LET, get one and be done with it.

1. We are
    2. Obviously
    3. You are saying that as if thats water money?
  • @beanman109 said:

@Saahib said: Lastly, you can easily get decent yearly VM for less than INR 1000 on LET, get one and be done with it.

I think the problem is this kid wants everything handed to them on a golden platter & doesn't want to have to lift a finger himself - just wants to be given a free VPS for "education". 95% of us already know this "education" use is just going to be a Minecraft server.

They've been given plenty of good advice all the way through to an actual hosting provider offering a free VPS for a month & the response is basically "it's not good enough" or just excuses to why they can't do something, not even a single attempt has been made at any of the suggestions.

I run the ICT at a secondary college & can hand out .edu email addresses with ease which could've been used to setup a Github or Azure edu accounts, but each minute I read more & more of this thread I'm amazed at how entitled this person is & the lack of effort they're even willing to commit.

1. We already do have a minecraft server now idk how that adds up to you but that means we don't really need another one. He actually wants to learn system administration and he does some pretty rad stuff with Chatbots.

2. I don't have a say in this.

3. Thats... illegal. You cannot just "hand out" .edu emails like they're some bars of chocolate.

• @joshnsg said:
    I'm sure many generous souls wouldn't mind offering a vps in return for pushups...

@yoursunny wouldn't mind doing that

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • beanman109beanman109 Member
    edited March 2023

@Otus9051 said: Thats... illegal. You cannot just "hand out" .edu emails like they're some bars of chocolate.

I can do as I please with my .edu emails. :)

• VoidVoid Member

With every comment OP realizes how much free stuff he has lost due that plucky attitude.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @Otus9051 said: Thats... illegal. You cannot just "hand out" .edu emails like they're some bars of chocolate.

Also it's really not illegal lmao, we own multiple .edu & .edu.au domains - all of our 3rd party contractors, staff, students & sometimes even onsite visitors get given an email with either .edu or .edu.au to access our systems & networks as needed.

The government nor the Department of Education doesn't have a say in who I hand out edu emails too. So I don't see how you get this whole it's illegal idea from, maybe read up on something before you start spitting shit out like its a fact.

• @jmaxwell said:
    With every comment OP realizes how much free stuff he has lost due that plucky attitude.

no, bc ik all of them r lying, ppl r js showing off

• @beanman109 said:

@Otus9051 said: Thats... illegal. You cannot just "hand out" .edu emails like they're some bars of chocolate.

Also it's really not illegal lmao, we own multiple .edu & .edu.au domains - all of our 3rd party contractors, staff, students & sometimes even onsite visitors get given an email with either .edu or .edu.au to access our systems & networks as needed.

The government nor the Department of Education doesn't have a say in who I hand out edu emails too. So I don't see how you get this whole it's illegal idea from, maybe read up on something before you start spitting shit out like its a fact.

it is illegal, but thing is tht still now nobody complain about u, n thts why government is not aware about ur activity rn

• @jmaxwell said:

btw why u calling me OP bro?

• @Zephyr said:

@jmaxwell said:

btw why u calling me OP bro?

OP = original poster

• VoidVoid Member

@Zephyr said:

@jmaxwell said:

Yea sure

• VoidVoid Member

@beanman109 said:

The government nor the Department of Education doesn't have a say in who I hand out edu emails too. So I don't see how you get this whole it's illegal idea from, maybe read up on something before you start spitting shit out like it’s a fact.

Not a student but could you please hand me out one ? ;)

edited March 2023

@Otus9051 said:

1. We are
    2. Obviously

You want something for free, thats fine but don't tell me that you can't afford INR 80 per month on a VM. Besides, with every comment, you and @Zephyr are proving that you need to learn a lot and also stop to be some pretenders.

• @Saahib said:

@Otus9051 said:

1. We are
    2. Obviously

You want something for free, thats fine but don't tell me that you can't afford INR 80 per month on a VM. Besides, with every comment, you and @Zephyr are proving that you need to learn a lot and also stop to be some pretenders.

If it was a monthly payment, maybe. Yearly can be a bit of a stretch. Again, it's not me who is buying, it is Zephyr.

The @Zephyr is coming out here, I can surely say that he can spend money on stupid things but he wants VM for free.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emg said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Getting an .edu in India is as hard as getting a /24 (not leasing).

It's safe to get .in and apply to GitHub for verification (then Ms azure is auto verified). Or stop the whole mess and just send your ID to GitHub to get verified.

psst, but nice one though. I was invited to manage DNS and hosting for my school website, i sent an email to them and no reply yet.

Yup. I started doing @Zephyr and @Otus9051 homework:

It is not possible to get a .edu in India. In summary, .edu domains are restricted to US-based post-secondary institutions. That means colleges and universities. There are a few holdovers with .edu domains that were allowed to keep them after the policies were introduced. Here are the official registration site as well as the Wikipedia article on .edu:
    https://net.educause.edu/eligibility.htm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.edu

I picked a few random schools that offer primary (elementary) education in India as examples. They use ".edu.in" or non-education-based domains like .org. I also noticed that ".school" domains are available to anyone, but the fee is much higher than a .org or many other domains. Cloudflare charges at cost, and their registration fee for a .school domain is $23.18.

I did a quick web search and found an organization that claims to be the exclusive registrar for India-based education-related domains in ".ac.in", ".edu.in", and ".res.in" domains.
    https://ernet.in/content/domain-registration
    https://www.registry.ernet.in/Annexure/SO_P.pdf

I did not bother to price out domain registrations from them. There are many steps and required documents to register a .edu.in domain, and it will obviously require the interest and cooperation of the adult leadership at the school.
    -> If I were Zephyr and Otus, I would start by figuring out all the steps needed and document them in a written proposal to submit. It would be a better use of your time than spending it on LowEndTalk. :-o

Edit:
    Posted before I saw @Otus9051's comment above, which crossed with this comment.

Well uh, getting .ac.in and .edu.in res.in is also as hard as getting /24 for a school, they are only issued to registered universities and colleges. While this is an issue, .in can be verified as a EDU MAIL at azure when you verify that you're an institution with them(same with google, just apply for google for education.)

@Xrmaddness said:

@FatGrizzly said:
    I was invited to manage DNS and hosting for my school website, i sent an email to them and no reply yet.

If they need help managing their DNS, maybe the email never reached them ;)

Their DNS is on Cloudflare, they needed me to migrate the DNS service to a self hosted one, I didn't get a reply, nor I have the time to spend on that.

@varwww said:
    Debit card (International) works for the Oracle free tier too.

This tbh. Just ask your dad for a debit card / credit card.

@emg said:

@Zephyr said:

This happens tbh, I was once invited to manage Fortinet firewalls at my school, then after me doing it for a month and setting it up, they moved to Sophos.

@Saahib said: Lastly, you can easily get decent yearly VM for less than INR 1000 on LET, get one and be done with it.

Otus can for surely afford well over 100 rupees per month.

@beanman109 said:

Otus has a quite beefy machine for free for life from August Internet(8GB ram) which is ofcourse running a MC server. He can share an account from that VPS with @Zephyr (just like @Not_Oles does!)(YABS: https://paste.frocdn.com/raw/usopekuney )

@Zephyr said:

@jmaxwell said:

I have to say it now, YOU'RE A DICK. You have TURNED DOWN all offers here and have been most pickiest. I could've well offered a small VM from FreeVPS.org resources if THIS really was for Educational purposes, but from your attitude I don't think my team members are gonna agree if I'm proposing this idea.

@Zephyr said:

@beanman109 said:

it is illegal, but thing is tht still now nobody complain about u, n thts why government is not aware about ur activity rn

It isn't illegal, each university/college has its own terms, and from what I see beanman109 can hand out ones and no one is gonna care.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

a bit offtopic,

@beanman109 can I get a edu email ID?(I'm currently a student, with an edu email id, but my I'm completing school very soon and my school terminates email id's the day I go out). I need some resources during the period I join my uni, to complete a few courses and stuff. I'm highly unsure if my future uni(which I am gonna join) offers email addresses. Please let me know if you're fine with it, then I'll PM you. I can send you a picture of my student ID card for verification too.

• https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=India tells me the cost of an McD combo is 325 rupee, that RackNerd BF offers is merely 850 rupee for an entire year and can be paid with UPI which should be available to virtually anyone in India. Stop making excuses and just go ask your parents instead of trying to scam for free VPS.

• You know OP i am very new to LET world and being an indian myself i share the same problems you faced, but WTF man. one thing i know is LET providers a very kind people and will give out a lot of free stuff if you can justify the reason, heck after reading the title even i was thinking of buying you a vps from my own pocket but you attitude just made me to rethink my and many others decision

my advice you are asking not the other way around so fix you attitude and apologize then pray that bridge is not burned and can still be mended