Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting YABS of an SSDNodes virtual server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interesting YABS of an SSDNodes virtual server

I was bored so I decided to try SSDNodes which made me curious because of it's ridiculous prices. The server I am testing has 8 vcores, 32GB of RAM and 480GB of NVMe storage.

YABS below. The CPU is meh (although should be fine for non cpu intensive tasks) but the disk and the network are impressive! :D

What do you think?

root@ssdnodes-63f69792727e8:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -r
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
#                     v2022-12-29                    #
# https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Wed Feb 22 10:42:03 PM UTC 2023

Basic System Information:
---------------------------------
Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 4 minutes
Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4216 CPU @ 2.10GHz
CPU cores  : 8 @ 2099.998 MHz
AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM        : 31.4 GiB
Swap       : 0.0 KiB
Disk       : 472.4 GiB
Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Kernel     : 5.15.0-56-generic

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 88.95 MB/s   (22.2k) | 1.10 GB/s    (17.2k)
Write      | 89.18 MB/s   (22.2k) | 1.11 GB/s    (17.3k)
Total      | 178.13 MB/s  (44.5k) | 2.21 GB/s    (34.6k)
           |                      |
Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
  ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
Read       | 6.44 GB/s    (12.5k) | 1.98 GB/s     (1.9k)
Write      | 6.78 GB/s    (13.2k) | 2.11 GB/s     (2.0k)
Total      | 13.23 GB/s   (25.8k) | 4.10 GB/s     (4.0k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 6.77 Gbits/sec  | 3.72 Gbits/sec  | 11.3 ms
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 7.85 Gbits/sec  | 4.26 Gbits/sec  | 9.71 ms
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.13 Gbits/sec  | 1.29 Gbits/sec  | 85.1 ms

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
-----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 7.74 Gbits/sec  | 1.59 Gbits/sec  | 11.2 ms
Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 7.06 Gbits/sec  | 3.86 Gbits/sec  | 9.82 ms
Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 1.20 Gbits/sec  | 2.11 Gbits/sec  | 85.1 ms

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
Test            | Value
                |
Single Core     | 585
Multi Core      | 3494
Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/20719641
Thanked by 1loay

Comments

• I think that you should stop burning your money. SSDNodes will put limits on your server sooner or later and it won't be amazing at it is now.

Thanked by 4Ympker ehab taizi anrikaz
  • @Crab said:
    The man needs some (other) hobbies.

true :D

• What pleasure do you get from these crappy VPSes? It's hilarious to buy them when you can get a dedicated server like KS-LE-1 for a similar price.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

But KS-LE-1 is not in stock anymore :smile:

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

it's only going to get worse.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

"Hosted solutions are so convenient and time saving, but I switched back to self-hosting to save money.."
    --> proceeds to burn money by signing up for a multitude of different hosts and canceling well-priced specials (Green Cloud Hosting).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yeah ssdnodes has been pretty solid for me. Though their prices really just enable me to buy more than I'll use, which makes me a fairly ideal customer.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited February 2023

I saw couple of people that had 100-200 singlecore GB5 score after couple of month of usage.
    I personally tested and found out that you have just a few GB of real RAM and then it throttles very bad - it seems that host is swapping really hard (hence the name SSDnodes?).
    One person tried to disable balooning (service that allows to take "your RAM" / RAM oversell), he got problems for that and their wrote in ToS that it is prohibited to disable that, so we can be sure that even one person using his RAM caused problems.

Bandwidth and network speeds seem sweet tho, so I'll probably try it out once more, now in Singapore.
    Be aware that their "14day refund guarantee" only applies to first order. On next orders they can only refund to SSDNodes balance, so you can't do anything other than getting another one from them.

Thanked by 2maverick desperand
  • @hresser said:
    What pleasure do you get from these crappy VPSes? It's hilarious to buy them when you can get a dedicated server like KS-LE-1 for a similar price.

At least on the paper there's a big difference in cores, memory and storage I think?

@bruh21 said:
    it's only going to get worse.

Reviews on the web are mixed. If you believe the many negative reviews and there's also to the believe the also many positive ones. I have no doubt that to offer stuff at those prices they need to cut corners though.

@Ympker said:
    "Hosted solutions are so convenient and time saving, but I switched back to self-hosting to save money.."
    --> proceeds to burn money by signing up for a multitude of different hosts and canceling well-priced specials (Green Cloud Hosting).

I can't help but have fun with servers. Is it a sin? I thought that you of all people would understand :p

@jar said:
    Yeah ssdnodes has been pretty solid for me. Though their prices really just enable me to buy more than I'll use, which makes me a fairly ideal customer.

Do you really use their virtual servers? Genuine question since you offer email hosting I am surprised.

@AXYZE said:
    I saw couple of people that had 100-200 singlecore GB5 score after couple of month of usage.
    I personally tested and found out that you have just a few GB of real RAM and then it throttles very bad - it seems that host is swapping really hard (hence the name SSDnodes?).
    One person tried to disable balooning (service that allows to take "your RAM" / RAM oversell), he got problems for that and their wrote in ToS that it is prohibited to disable that, so we can be sure that even one person using his RAM caused problems.

Bandwidth and network speeds seem sweet tho, so I'll probably try it out once more, now in Singapore.
    Be aware that their "14day refund guarantee" only applies to first order. On next orders they can only refund to SSDNodes balance, so you can't do anything other than getting another one from them.

I think I read, while researching, a couple of posts of yours were you said you were happy with them considering the price?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @vitobotta I am only hoarding lifetime vpn/saas deals haha :tongue: As for VPS I've only got 2x 128mb ram nat vps and lifetime shared hosting/reseller with Mike.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Ympker said:
    @vitobotta I am only hoarding lifetime vpn/saas deals haha :tongue: As for VPS I've only got 2x 128mb ram nat vps and lifetime shared hosting/reseller with Mike.

it was a plural "you" :D

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I have done several tests since last night, load goes high with some stuff as expected, but I have yet to see the CPU steal change from zero lol.

• I ran OpenShift on my SSDNodes VPS for about a year - performance wasn't fantastic - I had complaints after moving a Wordpress install there, but it's hard to argue with the pricing, and the APAC bandwidth allotments.

Support never seemed to notice I was running a different OS, or complain about my memory usage, as long as the qemu guest agent is running for ballooning. Steal was never an issue.

• @Peppery9 said:
    I ran OpenShift on my SSDNodes VPS for about a year - performance wasn't fantastic - I had complaints after moving a Wordpress install there, but it's hard to argue with the pricing, and the APAC bandwidth allotments.

Support never seemed to notice I was running a different OS, or complain about my memory usage, as long as the qemu guest agent is running for ballooning. Steal was never an issue.

how does this ballooning thing work exactly? it's the first time i hear about it

• Read about it now. It's an interesting mechanism and apparently non disruptive.

• @vitobotta said:
    I have done several tests since last night, load goes high with some stuff as expected, but I have yet to see the CPU steal change from zero lol.

Just to make sure (not saying this is the case, but so you will be aware) - if provider plays dirty then they can just change values and make it 0, constantly, always, hardcoded.

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • It's one of the ways they can overprovision RAM without everything coming to a screeching halt. Install a monitoring tool and you'll see your memory usage spike every so often. On my system it happened rather infrequently and wasn't really an issue.

I do seem to recall that the default OS templates hide ballooning from syslog messages, but I no longer have the server so I can't confirm if that's still the case

• @vitobotta said:
    I think I read, while researching, a couple of posts of yours were you said you were happy with them considering the price?

I've wrote about RAM speeds here, they were 3x worse than Oracle Free VPS
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3252488/#Comment_3252488

• @JabJab said:

@vitobotta said:
    I have done several tests since last night, load goes high with some stuff as expected, but I have yet to see the CPU steal change from zero lol.

Just to make sure (not saying this is the case, but so you will be aware) - if provider plays dirty then they can just change values and make it 0, constantly, always, hardcoded.

I was wondering about it to be honest, because I have always seen bad cpu steal with cheap providers. I haven't noticed any slow down in the apps so far though.

@Peppery9 said:
    It's one of the ways they can overprovision RAM without everything coming to a screeching halt. Install a monitoring tool and you'll see your memory usage spike every so often. On my system it happened rather infrequently and wasn't really an issue.

I do seem to recall that the default OS templates hide ballooning from syslog messages, but I no longer have the server so I can't confirm if that's still the case

How long were you a customer and how was the uptime? Also did the performance profile change after the 14 days of the refund window passed?

@AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

Thanks. I'm gonna try the same test

• @AXYZE said:

@vitobotta said:

I got this

root@apps2:/home/vito# sysbench --test=memory --memory-block-size=8G --memory-total-size=32G run
    WARNING: the --test option is deprecated. You can pass a script name or path on the command line without any options.
    sysbench 1.0.20 (using system LuaJIT 2.1.0-beta3)

Running the test with following options:
    Number of threads: 1
    Initializing random number generator from current time

Running memory speed test with the following options:
      block size: 8388608KiB
      total size: 32768MiB
      operation: write
      scope: global

Initializing worker threads...

Threads started!

Total operations: 4 (    0.74 per second)

32768.00 MiB transferred (6082.35 MiB/sec)

General statistics:
        total time:                          5.3850s
        total number of events:              4

Latency (ms):
             min:                                 1277.51
             avg:                                 1346.19
             max:                                 1412.45
             95th percentile:                     1401.61
             sum:                                 5384.77

Threads fairness:
        events (avg/stddev):           4.0000/0.00
        execution time (avg/stddev):   5.3848/0.00

• vitobottavitobotta Member
    edited February 2023

BTW, in case I decide to keep it for now and cancel it later if I don't want to renew after a year. Do I read it correctly that I can cancel even just one day before the renewal?

1. Cancellation: Because cancellation is automated, Strasmore requires a written cancellation notice via the Client Area, a
      minimum of twenty-four (“24”) hours prior to 00:00:01 PST (GMT-8) on the Anniversary Billing Date for discontinuance or
      downgrades of month-to-month services, unless specified otherwise. Failure to supply the requisite twenty-four (“24”) hours
      written notice of cancellation will result in a full billable cycle, on all service packages, prior > to cancellation. Any server
      cancellation prior to the minimum deadline will remain online until the automated process reclaims your server on the
      Anniversary Billing Date. Notice of written cancellation is required through the online Client > Area located at
      https://www.ssdnodes.com/manage. All Customer data remaining after the cancellation date will be destroyed for security
      and privacy reasons, unless otherwise required by law.
  • @vitobotta said:
    How long were you a customer and how was the uptime? Also did the performance profile change after the 14 days of the refund window passed?

About 2 years. I never had any unexpected downtime. Performance didn't really change much over time. I was in LA at one point which did perform worse than Sydney, I moved back.

If you cancel at any point during your term, you're returned the remainder as credit. They're also happy to recreate your server in a different location with a ticket (no data migration).

• @Peppery9 said:

@vitobotta said:

About 2 years. I never had any unexpected downtime. Performance didn't really change much over time. I was in LA at one point which did perform worse than Sydney, I moved back.

If you cancel at any point during your term, you're returned the remainder as credit. They're also happy to recreate your server in a different location with a ticket (no data migration).

Doesn't sound too horrible to me.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vitobotta said:
    Do you really use their virtual servers? Genuine question since you offer email hosting I am surprised.

The best position to support being a hobbyist in this industry comes from being a service provider. If you ever stop being a customer, that’s when you lose touch.

• Got the notification below... less than 30 minutes downtime.

• They always had this 'big sale' going on all the time.

Thanked by 2loay ariq01
  • @Liso said:
    They always had this 'big sale' going on all the time.

:D

• interesting.

• It's been a few days and the server has been just great so far :p Tomorrow there is supposed to be that planned maintenance. I contacted support about it and within a reasonable amount of time they let me know that these run rarely and only take a few minutes. They plan longer maintenance window just in case.