Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSDNodes - $86/yr for 8vCPU+32GB ram? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSDNodes - $86/yr for 8vCPU+32GB ram?

2»

Comments

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:
    I've requested refund. Not because VPS has bad performance, but because of this marketing tactic. If this wouldn't be nonstop promo then I wouldn't cancel it tbh. I feel cheated. I couldn't do any proper research or think longer about it and I strongly disapprove this kind of marketing. Its not okay with me and even if product is nice I don't want to support them with my money.

Second reason is that they push 3yr plan + average opinions around (even in this topic). Too many red lights. I'll check PHP-Friends now or I will choose old trusty OVH/Netcup for this project, because I'm sure performance wont degrade with time.

It was my mistake that I jumped to provider that I didn't know about earlier and chose long plan without research. Lessons learned.

what kind of specs do you need for this project anyways?

4 vCores, 8GB ram, 50GB NVMe. Server will generate many static pages from dynamic data. It will be like 100% usage for 1 minute and then 5 minute idle.

Netcup Root Servers worked perfectly with 100% uptime, but because of their cancellation policy I'm searching for something else. I wanted to try BuyVM because of their path.net DDoS Protection, but for 4 cores I would pay $60 which is way more than even Hetzner dedicated AX41-NVMe.

I thought about dedicated server and proxmox, but I need to be a little bit flexible with specs.

OVH Public Cloud looks interesting and they have hourly pricing.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

@AXYZE said:

@Kassem said:
    @AXYZE

Can you create a 25GBs ext4 filesystem on the RAM and then try to copy a large file into it to fill it and see if that is successful?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/491900

I've tested 28GB with memtester.
    28GB + system + other apps = ~29.4GB ram usage.
    Memtester should be better option than just trying to put file without byte-level.
    0 errors during 2h+ load.

I was thinking why memtester took 2h+ for one pass. Thats way too long. I decided to test RAM seq speed with 8G block size.

sysbench --test=memory --memory-block-size=8G --memory-total-size=32G run

SSDNodes 32GB ram: 5352.44MiB/sec
    Oracle Free Tier Ampere A1 12GB ram: 15353.22MiB/sec

So SSDNodes RAM speed is more like RAID NVMe Speed... hence the "SSD"Nodes name. XD
    Jokes aside I'm not sure if they are actually using SSD's as RAM, because maybe I did mistake in testing or maybe they throttled me for "yabsing" for whole day.

Thanked by 1nurhadi
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@AXYZE said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:
    I've requested refund. Not because VPS has bad performance, but because of this marketing tactic. If this wouldn't be nonstop promo then I wouldn't cancel it tbh. I feel cheated. I couldn't do any proper research or think longer about it and I strongly disapprove this kind of marketing. Its not okay with me and even if product is nice I don't want to support them with my money.

Second reason is that they push 3yr plan + average opinions around (even in this topic). Too many red lights. I'll check PHP-Friends now or I will choose old trusty OVH/Netcup for this project, because I'm sure performance wont degrade with time.

It was my mistake that I jumped to provider that I didn't know about earlier and chose long plan without research. Lessons learned.

4 vCores, 8GB ram, 50GB NVMe. Server will generate many static pages from dynamic data. It will be like 100% usage for 1 minute and then 5 minute idle.

Netcup Root Servers worked perfectly with 100% uptime, but because of their cancellation policy I'm searching for something else. I wanted to try BuyVM because of their path.net DDoS Protection, but for 4 cores I would pay $60 which is way more than even Hetzner dedicated AX41-NVMe.

I thought about dedicated server and proxmox, but I need to be a little bit flexible with specs.

why not hetzner cloud?

• KassemKassem Member

@AXYZE

HC (CCX22) (best if your audience is mainly in EU and best value for your money) or Linode or DO or Vultr should be good for you (the mid-range trio).

@AXYZE said: Jokes aside I'm not sure if they are actually using SSD's as RAM, because maybe I did mistake in testing or maybe they throttled me for "yabsing" for whole day.

If you are writing to your own assigned memory, then why should they throttle you?

• ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2021-06-05

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Wed Jul 14 10:20:32 +07 2021

Basic System Information:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores : 2 @ 2199.996 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 7.6 GiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 100.0 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 63.67 MB/s (15.9k) 632.49 MB/s (9.8k)
    Write 63.79 MB/s (15.9k) 635.81 MB/s (9.9k)
    Total 127.47 MB/s (31.8k) 1.26 GB/s (19.8k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 998.47 MB/s (1.9k) 937.87 MB/s (915)
    Write 1.05 GB/s (2.0k) 1.00 GB/s (976)
    Total 2.05 GB/s (4.0k) 1.93 GB/s (1.8k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 937 Mbits/sec | 920 Mbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.26 Gbits/sec | 1.03 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 854 Mbits/sec | 845 Mbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | 3.25 Gbits/sec | 1.80 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 640 Mbits/sec | 644 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 727 Mbits/sec | 536 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 904 Mbits/sec | 875 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom | Sao Paulo, BR (2G) | busy | 17.6 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 369
    Multi Core | 668
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/8809970
    Node sig

• nvmenvme Member

@AXYZE said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:

May be check with @seriesn

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@nvme said:

@AXYZE said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:

I know NexusBytes, but they are from USA and its a lot easier for me and my clients if company is based in European Union and has EU VAT number. Thats why I'm talking only about French/German providers.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:

why not hetzner cloud?

Maybe I'm just bored and Im seeking for trouble with other providers haha
    Hetzner is great, but I'm looking for best providers for all of my servers. Projects have different needs because some need a lot of ram, some need deducated vcpu etc. and hetzner core-to-ram ratio isnt that great for me with most of them. When I need vps with 1vcpu and 2gb ram I go for hetzner. If I need to test something fast I go for hetzner (hourly billing and super fast provision). With PHP-friends for 15 euros I get 4dedi epyc cores and 20gb of ram so for example I could make 2x container with 8gb and 4vcpu and I could install two similiar projects. With Netcup I need to cancel 31 days before end of contract, with PHP-Friends I saw that its 14 dats which is a lot better because I wont pay for one more month.

Dedicated server would be best, but I need to scale up and down depending on month and also then I need to think about setup fees, provision time etc.
    VPS with dedi cpu wont give me this problem and they are cheaper so I lose less money if they are idling.

But now... I dont really know, maybe I should get AX41 and if I need to scale up then I would add VPS from Hetzner which also could load balance to AX41 via HAProxy so I wouldnt need to buy extra IPs. I need to calculate all of it, analyze RAM usage depending od time of the day etc.

Anyone knows how fast (Gbps and ping) is internal networking in Hetzner and do they count this to 20TB limit?

If anyone want to share experiences with any provider I metioned I would be super happy :)

• @AXYZE said:

@nvme said:

@AXYZE said:

@bruh21 said:

@AXYZE said:

I know NexusBytes, but they are from USA and its a lot easier for me and my clients if company is based in European Union and has EU VAT number. Thats why I'm talking only about French/German providers.

Thanks for the kind mention @nvme

@AXYZE if you have any questions, happy to answer boss :)

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@AXYZE said:

I received refund today on my bank account, 4 days from ticket. Overall support seems great - they transferred my to another node fast and refund was also done fast. No complaints here.

Just remember that you can refund in 14 days only on first order/when you are new customer!

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2021

I'm using Cloudflare Tunnel for my websites and I dont think its possible to install that on Hetzner Load Balancer. If I'm wrong and I could have cloudflared service running on load balancer then correct me :)
    Thats why I would prefer to install HAProxy on VPS and then route traffic to big server if Cloud VPS woudnt be able to handle it. With this method I could easily make and remove VPSes even after day so I would pay a lot less and AX41 would give me space to scale. Also with this method I would have some kind of backup because data would be replicated on VPS and dedi. I just need to think how I can do it all efficiently without much configuration, maybe preconfigured docker image for VPSes.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@AXYZE They put you on a pretty empty node I see ;) As the time will have passed, the performance would have degraded. I was their customer for likely 1.5 years for My Personal Website only & it ended with shit performance. Even in NVMe, I was getting only 80 Mbps Disk I/O for 64K & they commented that it's all Okay !

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    @AXYZE They put you on a pretty empty node I see ;) As the time will have passed, the performance would have degraded. I was their customer for likely 1.5 years for My Personal Website only & it ended with shit performance. Even in NVMe, I was getting only 80 Mbps Disk I/O for 64K & they commented that it's all Okay !

Yup I found similar opinions online and they push so hard for 3yr plan so I was sure that's truth.