Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Double BW @ 5Gbps / Free VPS Contest in our new Location! Idaho USA KVM VPS, NVMe+HDD addon storage! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Double BW @ 5Gbps / Free VPS Contest in our new Location! Idaho USA KVM VPS, NVMe+HDD addon storage!

Comments

• POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Pointless Bump

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Going to be performing some preventative maintenance / updates that will only impact your HDD storage.

May also deploy larger block storage servers in this location as well for those who need more than we offer from local HDD storage. No ETA on that, still trying to gauge general interests.

Thanked by 2treesmokah NFSC
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @MannDude said:
    Going to be performing some preventative maintenance / updates that will only impact your HDD storage.

May also deploy larger block storage servers in this location as well for those who need more than we offer from local HDD storage. No ETA on that, still trying to gauge general interests.

Fran style storage slabs are always welcome :)
    I think it would be also possible in your the NL loc, as Worldstream appears to offer storage servers as well which you can turn in to "NAS".

• POINTLESS BUMP

edited January 2023

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

I think it would be also possible in your the NL loc, as Worldstream appears to offer storage servers as well which you can turn in to "NAS".

@Francisco has a significant investment in their slabs and a lot of expertise with storage in general. We won't be able to come near that, either in terms of quality/performance or pricing, if I'm being honest.

The existing HDD storage is just an option for those who have requested higher storage specs in the past from us, but gasped when quoted NVMe storage pricing or needed more storage than physically available on the node. The idea is basically a solution for someone who may just need slow(er) file storage for backups, logs, media, etc. Not everyone benefits from NVMe storage, or rather, NVMe is not 'necessary' for the bulk of storage needs.

I'll try to see if I can get a good quote in NL for a similar setup, but my options as far as storage goes is less in NL than in the US. In the US, for example, I can upgrade the nodes to 2x 10G or 1x 40G ports pretty affordably which would be needed for block storage (or beneficial, at least). In NL, that price may be more prohibitive.

Right now I'm just committed to continuing to offer local HDD storage at an additional price for those who need it, and if there is enough use and interest in such a setup that it seems worthwhile, and if managing this addon isn't a administrative nightmare, will consider block storage in that location.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@MannDude said:

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

@Francisco has a significant investment in their slabs and a lot of expertise with storage in general. We won't be able to come near that, either in terms of quality/performance or pricing, if I'm being honest.

The existing HDD storage is just an option for those who have requested higher storage specs in the past from us, but gasped when quoted NVMe storage pricing or needed more storage than physically available on the node. The idea is basically a solution for someone who may just need slow(er) file storage for backups, logs, media, etc. Not everyone benefits from NVMe storage, or rather, NVMe is not 'necessary' for the bulk of storage needs.

I'll try to see if I can get a good quote in NL for a similar setup, but my options as far as storage goes is less in NL than in the US. In the US, for example, I can upgrade the nodes to 2x 10G or 1x 40G ports pretty affordably which would be needed for block storage (or beneficial, at least). In NL, that price may be more prohibitive.

Right now I'm just committed to continuing to offer local HDD storage at an additional price for those who need it, and if there is enough use and interest in such a setup that it seems worthwhile, and if managing this addon isn't a administrative nightmare, will consider block storage in that location.

Regarding management, I think even some nas solutions like TrueNAS would work and managing hard drives and general storage this way - would be painless.

I'm thinking of doing something like that for my and my clients needs, getting some 12 LFF(or more) server with some basic ass CPU and shit ton of ram and spinning rust paired in some ZRAID or RAID 10.

If you can colocate your servers in both US and the NL, I think it would be better than renting storage servers(which can be really pricey).

3.5" enterprise hard drives are not that expensive and I believe it would be a really nice investment even tho you don't own rest of the hardware.

Older supermicro servers(still reliable) have shit ton of LFF hot swap bays and work excellent for this type of setup(and are cheap as fuck).

• @treesmokah said: Regarding management, I think even some nas solutions like TrueNAS would work and managing hard drives and general storage this way - would be painless.

Do people run TrueNas/FreeNas in datacenters for storage? Always though of it as a homelab nas or on premis for a small to medium company.

• @kait said:

@treesmokah said: Regarding management, I think even some nas solutions like TrueNAS would work and managing hard drives and general storage this way - would be painless.

Do people run TrueNas/FreeNas in datacenters for storage? Always though of it as a homelab nas or on premis for a small to medium company.

I have no idea, but I don't see why wouldn't people run that.
    Its just painless to manage and would work for this task.

• @treesmokah said: I have no idea, but I don't see why wouldn't people run that.

Its just painless to manage and would work for this task.

100% going to run it in my homelab.

In any event, it's not something we want to rush into. For now, local HDD storage is suitable for what we're trying to achieve. Besides, I've got a 100 other things on the to-do list that are as or more important to our core goals right now. :)

Virtualizor supports hotplug block storage but it looks cluttered and it's a new feature, without much info on it: https://www.virtualizor.com/docs/professional-features/volumes/

I think VirtFusion does, too. I've also considered switching to VF, but I think I'd rather sit on a cactus than do a massive manual migration of containers right now. I almost chose them (and perhaps, should have) for our US location but then I also thought hat having two different control panels and management systems for the same product, but in two different locations, would cause confusion from customers with products in both locations.

We're still young. Give us time and we'll grow into something great. We're a small business and I still work a normal full-time blue collar job in a factory right now. The features people want and need will come, in time.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

Regarding management, I think even some nas solutions like TrueNAS would work and managing hard drives and general storage this way - would be painless.

I'm thinking of doing something like that for my and my clients needs, getting some 12 LFF(or more) server with some basic ass CPU and shit ton of ram and spinning rust paired in some ZRAID or RAID 10.

If you can colocate your servers in both US and the NL, I think it would be better than renting storage servers(which can be really pricey).

3.5" enterprise hard drives are not that expensive and I believe it would be a really nice investment even tho you don't own rest of the hardware.

Older supermicro servers(still reliable) have shit ton of LFF hot swap bays and work excellent for this type of setup(and are cheap as fuck).

Why older SM? There is more interesting stuff out for this if older hw is ok

HP ProLiant Dl360 Gen8/Gen9 paired with a HP D6000 Storage enclosure.
    Fits up to 70 drives

You can equip those servers as well with a HP FLOM which are available quad port 10G to 40G and interconnect them in the rack for storage vps across multiple nodes

PS those are not expensive as well

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

@HostSlick said:

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said:

Why older SM? There is more interesting stuff out for this if older hw is ok

HP ProLiant Dl360 Gen8/Gen9 paired with a HP D6000 Storage enclosure.
    Fits up to 70 drives

You can equip those servers as well with a HP FLOM which are available quad port 10G to 40G and interconnect them in the rack for storage vps across multiple nodes

PS those are not expensive as well

Yup, those are excellent as well.
    Rocking dl360 gen 9 w/ all ssd and dual e5-2699 v4, beast for this money. e5-26xx v4 are generally inexpensive and really decent, they can compete with Silver/Gold next gen Xeons.

But I wish you were able to get nvme on them, its way way easier with Dells tho and those can be pretty much identical in terms of price:quality on older servers.
    Pcie cards can be used for this but it just feels "ghetto" for me and I'm not sure if it would work with hardware raid.
    Can be useful for nvme caching for hdds when ram isnt enough or longer cache.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@treesmokah said:

Yup, those are excellent as well.
    Rocking dl360 gen 9 w/ all ssd and dual e5-2699 v4, beast for this money. e5-26xx v4 are generally inexpensive and really decent, they can compete with Silver/Gold next gen Xeons.

But I wish you were able to get nvme on them, its way way easier with Dells tho and those can be pretty much identical in terms of price:quality on older servers.
    Can be useful for nvme caching for hdds when ram isnt enough or longer cache.

You can get 2 (I think this is the max) NVMe's on quanta d51b's front hot swaps and they're right in that same ballpark pricing-wise of ~$200. DDR4 and v3/v4 Xeons. A real sweet spot.

The Dell R630 was (is?) a good middle-ground for more NVMe. They have a nice add-in card to give you 4 NVMe slots on the front hot swap chassis. I don't know current pricing, but clean refurbs used to be ~$400-500 just add in cpus, ram, and a few disks. I agree with you that the v4 e5's are an incredible value per $.

Thanked by 1treesmokah
  • Pointless Bump

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • P—B
    -o—u
    --i—m
    ---n—p
    ----t
    -----l
    ------e
    -------s
    --------s

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude

Pretty sure I got all orders setup with the required HDD space and BW updates. Let me know if I've missed ya'.

• Penis Bump

• POINTLESS BUMP

Thanked by 1MannDude