Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute - Email Hosting] Black Friday 2022 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute - Email Hosting] Black Friday 2022

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Astro said:
    @jar been with you guys for two years now. Just picked up another yearly plan. Any chance I can request a username change?

I'm unable to, it breaks an important third-party implementation.

• @jar said:

@Astro said:
    @jar been with you guys for two years now. Just picked up another yearly plan. Any chance I can request a username change?

I'm unable to, it breaks an important third-party implementation.

Fair enough - thanks!

• Do you authorize account transfers?

• possible to buy extra storage if really needed?

• @jar said:

@Vikasverma said: Any ETA when it will be available,, so I wait for you?

Unlikely to be less than a week

3 days paassed , i m waiting

• @Vikasverma said:

@jar said:

@Vikasverma said: Any ETA when it will be available,, so I wait for you?

Unlikely to be less than a week

3 days paassed , i m waiting

He said more than a week.

Thanked by 1sebkehl

Lucy server migration is complete. I can't add reseller stock just yet as the damn OS isn't supporting the NFS protocol and my attempts to fix that have fallen strangely flat. Hopefully reseller stock goes up tomorrow. No promos.

• oriendoriend Member
    edited December 2022

@jar regarding lucy. I'm getting "Hmm, login details do not seem to be correct. Please try again." even that my login info is correct. Should I reset the password or it will be sorted?

edit: can't login, can't reset password, as the confirmation email never gets delivered

edited December 2022

@oriend said:
    @jar regarding lucy. I'm getting "Hmm, login details do not seem to be correct. Please try again." even that my login info is correct. Should I reset the password or it will be sorted?

edit: can't login, can't reset password, as the confirmation email never gets delivered

Use these steps: https://mxroutedocs.com/directadmin/resetpass/

If you're a customer of a reseller, they'll need to do it for you if the password reset doesn't work on the DA login page. I enabled it but it's unlikely to work, those diradmin@ emails are pretty bad.

Long story short as it can be: While migrating Lucy I accidentally ran a reverse rsync that replaced key data on the Lucy server with that of a fresh CentOS install. I had to reconstruct passwd and group files by hand (can't just restore those files with JetBackup, so backup restore was a worse option). I couldn't reconstruct the shadow file, forcing every DA account to reset their password. It sucks, it is what it is. I'm done beating myself up about it, got work to do.

But that isn't inherently a problem with the migration, just something I screwed up. The migration itself was a beautiful success, and will be our standard for migrations moving forward. This is also the first server with its inbound IP being part of our own IP space, finally ending "your IP is blacklisted" (when it doesn't matter) tickets for good.

Thanked by 3oriend pbx kidrock
  • Worked, thanks!

Thanked by 1jar
  • C0mpassC0mpass Member
    edited December 2022

@jar it looks like the PKI certificate on the backup/relay MX record might be invalid which is preventing proper mta-sts setup. does this sound right or should i open a ticket?

at least this is what https://www.hardenize.com/ says when i plug my domain in there.

edited December 2022

@C0mpass said:
    @jar it looks like the PKI certificate on the backup/relay MX record might be invalid which is preventing proper mta-sts setup. does this sound right or should i open a ticket?

at least this is what https://www.hardenize.com/ says when i plug my domain in there.

You can drop the backup relay if you want. If doesn't exist, it's just a placeholder.

With SMTP retry being a thing, having a backup relay DNS entry is largely unnecessary but people continually whined about having one MX record, and the old backup relays added more problems than they solved, so a second DNS record to the same server solved the problem. Plus it gives me the ability to add a backup later should I so desire. But it's still technically useless right now.

Side note: I've seen people screw themselves with MTA-STS too many times so be careful. The result of said screwing has been going for a week without any ability to receive mail from Gmail, without any clear error as to why, just the appearance of silently dropped emails. Of course they blame me, inevitably, because they had no idea that MTA-STS was taken so seriously. So be careful with it.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @jar said:
    Side note: I've seen people screw themselves with MTA-STS too many times so be careful. The result of said screwing has been going for a week without any ability to receive mail from Gmail, without any clear error as to why, just the appearance of silently dropped emails. Of course they blame me, inevitably, because they had no idea that MTA-STS was taken so seriously. So be careful with it.

I think on Reddit, someone asked why Mxroute was not included in Privacyguides/Privacytools list and they replied with reference to hardenize site how Proton is all checked mark and is included but Mxroute has few cross-marks that did not let it be included in their list.
    https://www.hardenize.com/report/proton.me/1669909026
    https://www.hardenize.com/report/mxroute.com/1669752967

So from the above tests in Hardenize, which are the most important ones as you said MTA-STS may screw?

• @jar any chance for a response on the DM's

edited December 2022

@kidrock said:

@jar said:

I think on Reddit, someone asked why Mxroute was not included in Privacyguides/Privacytools list and they replied with reference to hardenize site how Proton is all checked mark and is included but Mxroute has few cross-marks that did not let it be included in their list.

So from the above tests in Hardenize, which are the most important ones as you said MTA-STS may screw?

My reply is going to come across as a little hostile and that's not intentional, and especially not targeted at you even if it were, I just have a strong opinion about these kinds of websites.

I really don't like answering to websites that place arbitrary values on single items like that and then try to rate or troubleshoot based on those items. I think I do a fine job of keeping it reliable and secure, I make mistakes but I've never seen a provider that doesn't (more money and more employees doesn't equal less problems or mistakes to me).

But I'm routinely tossed pages where people quickly filled in a domain, ran an automated scan on something, and then they ask me to answer to all of it's line items. I reject the notion that these websites know better than I do, that I should plan my efforts around pleasing random automated scanners, or that I should be on the hook for explaining why they chose to organize/explain the results of their scan points in the way that they did. I think someone who understands those results deeply can articulate for themselves the actual value of the results for themselves, and anyone who can't fully understand every line item there shouldn't be using it as a measure for anything.

Thanked by 3kidrock cloudride Liso

@socialzzz said:
    @jar any chance for a response on the DM's

I have 271 unread PMs and almost all of them for the last few years are asking for promo exceptions that I don't make. I don't do presales contacts at all, it's a fairly controversial business strategy.

• @jar said: I have 271 unread PMs and almost all of them for the last few years are asking for promo exceptions that I don't make. I don't do presales contacts at all, it's a fairly controversial business strategy.

Good thing I abandoned my plan to ask you for a special $5 for 5GB just for me :#

• @jar said:

@kidrock said:

@jar said:

My reply is going to come across as a little hostile and that's not intentional, and especially not targeted at you even if it were, I just have a strong opinion about these kinds of websites.

I really don't like answering to websites that place arbitrary values on single items like that and then try to rate or troubleshoot based on those items. I think I do a fine job of keeping it reliable and secure, I make mistakes but I've never seen a provider that doesn't (more money and more employees doesn't equal less problems or mistakes to me).

But I'm routinely tossed pages where people quickly filled in a domain, ran an automated scan on something, and then they ask me to answer to all of it's line items. I reject the notion that these websites know better than I do, that I should plan my efforts around pleasing random automated scanners, or that I should be on the hook for explaining why they chose to organize/explain the results of their scan points in the way that they did. I think someone who understands those results deeply can articulate for themselves the actual value of the results for themselves, and anyone who can't fully understand every line item there shouldn't be using it as a measure for anything.

Thanks for the explanation. I think now I will also remove MTA-STS from my site.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Hotmarer said:

@jar said: I have 271 unread PMs and almost all of them for the last few years are asking for promo exceptions that I don't make. I don't do presales contacts at all, it's a fairly controversial business strategy.

Good thing I abandoned my plan to ask you for a special $5 for 5GB just for me :#

You missed $3.6 for 4GB from webhorizon on BF lol

• @kidrock said:

@Hotmarer said:

@jar said: I have 271 unread PMs and almost all of them for the last few years are asking for promo exceptions that I don't make. I don't do presales contacts at all, it's a fairly controversial business strategy.

I am not looking for resellers.

• @Hotmarer said:

@kidrock said:

@Hotmarer said:

Does it make any difference in services/features to get from them?

• @jar said:

@socialzzz said:
    @jar any chance for a response on the DM's

I have 271 unread PMs and almost all of them for the last few years are asking for promo exceptions that I don't make. I don't do presales contacts at all, it's a fairly controversial business strategy.

each to their own, i guess ill look elsewhere since i missed out

• @kidrock said:

@Hotmarer said:

@kidrock said:

@Hotmarer said:

Does it make any difference in services/features to get from them?

No

edited December 2022

Reseller plans are back in stock. No promo at this time, no plans for a promo at this time. I can't tell you if/when that will change because I probably won't know until that day. They're not quite "on a whim" but they're also not excessively planned in advance. They're more of a daily reaction to reviews of current trends, events, and goals.

I dropped a brand new 4TB NAS partition onto Lucy, have at 'er.

• @Hotmarer said: a special $5 for 5GB just for me :#

Once i found a working old link and ordered, then informed him about the order, he just said i am gonna cancel it...

Yeah the $5/year plan would have never seen a worse year than this one. Feeling inflation, and to top it off I'm willingly increasing overhead. Raising base prices for new customers is on the table.

Thanked by 1Astro
  • Hello @jar im waiting since one week for an answer for my ticket. Could you please check it? 515891

thx

@gbzret4d said:
    Hello @jar im waiting since one week for an answer for my ticket. Could you please check it? 515891

thx

Not sure how I missed that one, sorry about that.

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • @jar said:

@gbzret4d said:
    Hello @jar im waiting since one week for an answer for my ticket. Could you please check it? 515891

thx

Not sure how I missed that one, sorry about that.

No problem and thank you for the reply!

Thanked by 1jar
  • Finally grabbed this deal. Been looking to join the fun since I first discovered mxroute. Glad to make the switch from zoho. Everything going well so far.

Thanked by 1jar