Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute - Email Hosting] Black Friday 2022 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute - Email Hosting] Black Friday 2022

Comments

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited November 2022

@ihell said: BF2018 plan (100G, $30 for 3 yr)

@jar Best ever so far.

Can top this only if he sold $10/y resellers

• im looking for reseller email hosting!!!

• @BikeHelmet said:

We're currently using their forwarders and some device specific email addresses across a few locations to automate scanning from big Kyocera and Konica Minolta printers (long since off contract) to save money. Scans go to the admin team and then into Xero/Hubdoc, without user interaction except for approvals. Most of the other email services (Goog/Msft) now require 2-factor auth codes from time to time, and try as we might to train them, we can't seem to get the Kyocera or Minolta to fire up their non-existent web browsers and enter in 6 digit codes. We'd have to buy new and more capable ones, complete with service contract, which isn't cheap.

I also set scan to mail on a new HP printer, but never received scanned pics. Saw your comment I'll try again next time.

• @amarc said:

Am I only one who have 500+ GB of emails ? Who are these offers for? Personal single (or 2-3) addresses domains ? I just don't see logic behind unlimited domains+25GB of space.

The logic is that there is no limit because he didn't want to put an arbitrary limit that is largely unnecessary or meant to trick the inexperienced. It adds only a few kb of information to configuration files to handle an additional domain in reality, and some of that is on the DNS, which mxroute doesn't have to pay for. The small bit of configuration and rules tells the system how to handle an email when it arrives, and I'm sure that he thinks its silly or not valuable to charge people for X number of domains when that's just a ploy used by large, sleazy companies to squeeze a bit more profit out of customers for a "value add" that essentially costs the email server nothing.

The logic is for people like me who have a bunch of domains, host a variety of pages, and want tailored emails to handle each page. If I have hostxyz.com, but I use my email from my other page, artsandcraftsbyhand.net, it's a red flag. Might as well throw "gmail" on there as your business contact.

Personally, I have 26 domains. Should I tell mxroute that the number we can host is 26? What if you need 27 or more? What if another guy thinks 10 is good and no one should ask for more without paying more? The number of domains you can point at is, like I said, used as a ploy to demarcate service tiers by big companies squeezing their customers. mxroute is the kind of service that belongs and thrives in a community like this because their model is geared specifically to people who are sick and tired of being squeezed by the big companies.

That said, everything has its limits, and mxroute places those limits on the physical size. This makes it a fair service and gives a clear limitation on how much disk space you get. Because disk space, in a IaaS model, is a function of real cost for the company. Why doesn't he give you 500 GB? Because it would cost 20 times the price, and he doesn't have a plan set up for it. Had you asked for a quote, maybe you could've gotten one in private, and you could've passed that cost on to your client who needs that kind of space. But I'll address that below:

@amarc said:

@jar said: No it's only you. Almost no one has that much email. I keep emails for 5-10 years and a mailbox still sits at 1-2GB. Business emails even.

No, on my personal domain and email address I sit at around 3GB. But my clients (which comes to around 8-10 domains) are totaling 500+ GB. They are businesses and have a lot of daily emails, attachments...

My only parallel was unlimited domains/addresses makes no use with 25GB of space. I would maybe want to use you and move my clients but can't. So I end up using HDD space on VPS/Dedicated and do it myself

Tell those people it is 2022 and they shouldn't be sending everything around in email. One, it's insecure. Two, there are companies cutting each others throats fighting over file sharing solutions that are low cost or free. Send them a link to dropbox so they may take in the free air.

Three, it uses a lot of traffic and resources in email, and email was never meant to be a file sharing service of that magnitude.

Four, the average email is 75kb. In 500 gigabytes, that would be 6.5 million emails on average. If each email had a 500kb attachment and the usual 75kb of text, headers, signatures, and other information, it would be 870k emails. That's if each and every one had a 500kb attachment, on average.

If it's bigger than that... are these people emailing actual video files to each other all day? There's a video sharing service called YouTube that they should investigate, if so.

Moving on, if this company has 1,000 employees, estimates show that they would send out about 40,000 emails per day across their email accounts. I think that's a little high, but the statistics people say that's what should be expected. Based on that, it would take 24 days to send those 870k emails. If it was 6.5 million emails, it would take 163 days to send them all. If you take the exact average between those two, 3.685 million emails would be generated, and it would take roughly 3 months.

Now take all of that math into account when I bring up the following example: Amazon AWS SES (Simple Email Service) costs 8 cents per 1000 emails, and they handle big volume. That would be $3.20 per day if 40,000 emails per day. That extrapolates to $96.00 per month if done consistently, every day, to generate that kind of traffic. That comes out to $1,152 per year. And that is based on "standard use"; if these emails are larger in size, AWS may tack on an extra cost for hauling them across the internet.

Now, mxroute doesn't need me to defend them, and I don't want to be rude about this, but I do have to ask: what do you expect of a $25/year service, exactly? I just want to provide a little perspective here based on the cost of the service, the kind of service that is being provided (which is generous compared to any other email host I've found), and what kind of expectations would be reasonable in this situation.

I think you are doing the right thing, pulling that email down and archiving it so that it doesn't clog the email server, but that's kinda what you're supposed to do with that kind of volume when running it through a service like this.

There is also another possibility, which mxroute can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a client generating this much traffic and this much work for you, you should first encourage then enforce a transition from web-based email (where you store all the email for them) to a POP3 setup where they download the emails from the server and they are deleted from the server. Gmail has this feature, and it's free.

You could leave the email on the server for a time so people using multiple devices could sync up properly and have the same view, but automate archival should follow quickly. It's unnecessary to store that much email online and on demand at all times. Even if they generated that much email in a single month, it wouldn't be unreasonable to tell them you're going to archive after 30 days. Or delete it. Simply, it cannot remain your problem; your job isn't to provide a full and accurate historical record of all email communication for their company unless you have some compliance obligation that says otherwise.

I don't want to beat a dead horse because I think the point has been made more than once, but I thought my experience and thought process could be of benefit here and to others who may happen by.

Thanked by 3froz cmkr8 jar
  • Do you enforce dmarc check?

• @kittrellbj you obviously do not know how simple business and average 50 year old lawyer or accountant work so I will just leave it at that.

it was not my intention to derail this sales thread.. so yeah. Enjoy

Thanked by 2bikegremlin seenu
  • @jar I'm currently using Cloudflare's Mail Routing to handle incoming email for my domains (I have no outgoing email needs). The way I use it is for Cloudflare's MX to receive all emails for my domains, reject them if I don't have a rule for the destination address and the 'catch-all' for the domain is to reject or else forward them to one or more GMail addresses.

I don't currently use any storage as all emails are either forwarded or rejected, do I don't think I would use any storage with MXRoute service (except perhaps for some kind of quarantine, if MXRoute supports that).

Is that doable with MXRoute's $10/yr plan? I'd there a trial or refund period offered so I can test it myself?

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • @amarc said:
    @kittrellbj you obviously do not know how simple business and average 50 year old lawyer or accountant work so I will just leave it at that.

I mean, that's fine if they want to do things the old fashioned way, but it's not jar's issue to solve. You can introduce them to the year 2000 or they can pay more for your extra work. :|

Thanked by 2angstrom bikegremlin
  • @kittrellbj said:

@amarc said:
    @kittrellbj you obviously do not know how simple business and average 50 year old lawyer or accountant work so I will just leave it at that.

I mean, that's fine if they want to do things the old fashioned way, but it's not jar's issue to solve. You can introduce them to the year 2000 or they can pay more for your extra work. :|

I always find it amusing when users use Maildir/ for storage :)

• Hi @jar can we use your email service for outbound emails, we currently use google workspace for outbound emails 500-1500/day/domain.

All I want to know terms of usage beforehand so it's not an issue with the usage pattern afterwards. We use google workspace along with our automation system to send out periodic outbound emails.

If you don't allow outbound emails like that just let me know, it's totally understandable we may use your service for different purpose.

• no orders allowed on vpn?

• @cloudride said:
    Hi @jar can we use your email service for outbound emails, we currently use google workspace for outbound emails 500-1500/day/domain.

All I want to know terms of usage beforehand so it's not an issue with the usage pattern afterwards. We use google workspace along with our automation system to send out periodic outbound emails.

If you don't allow outbound emails like that just let me know, it's totally understandable we may use your service for different purpose.

No newsletter type emails, only transactional, personal or business use.

Thanked by 1cloudride
  • @neverain said:
    no orders allowed on vpn?

Yes, deactivate your vpn. I was once on CF warp and trapped on maxmind. Got to deactivate the WARP and it went smooth

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AndreiGhesi said:
    Do you enforce dmarc check?

I don't presently.

@cloudride said:
    Hi @jar can we use your email service for outbound emails, we currently use google workspace for outbound emails 500-1500/day/domain.

I'd love to handle your outbound, so long as it's sound and you can keep it under 300 per hour (per email address). The per email address thing, just use a different address for different functions but don't circumvent by like sender1, sender2, etc. Each address should be doing it's own thing (password resets, registrations, whatever).

• I'd love to handle your outbound, so long as it's sound and you can keep it under 300 per hour (per email address). The per email address thing, just use a different address for different functions but don't circumvent by like sender1, sender2, etc. Each address should be doing it's own thing (password resets, registrations, whatever).

Thanks for reply, can you tell me whats the last date till the offer is valid.

@cloudride said: can you tell me whats the last date till the offer is valid

I couldn't tell myself that right now.

• jmletjmlet Member
    edited November 2022

@jar sorry for the insistence, but can I please have an answer for my questions below?

@jmlet said:
    @jar I'm currently using Cloudflare's Mail Routing to handle incoming email for my domains (I have no outgoing email needs). The way I use it is for Cloudflare's MX to receive all emails for my domains, reject them if I don't have a rule for the destination address and the 'catch-all' for the domain is to reject or else forward them to one or more GMail addresses.

I don't currently use any storage as all emails are either forwarded or rejected, do I don't think I would use any storage with MXRoute service (except perhaps for some kind of quarantine, if MXRoute supports that).

Is that doable with MXRoute's $10/yr plan? I'd there a trial or refund period offered so I can test it myself?

• @jar said:

@cloudride said: can you tell me whats the last date till the offer is valid

I couldn't tell myself that right now.

That's very informative. :wink:

Thanked by 1jar

@jmlet said:
    @jar sorry for the insistence, but can I please have an answer for my questions below?

@jmlet said:
    @jar I'm currently using Cloudflare's Mail Routing to handle incoming email for my domains (I have no outgoing email needs). The way I use it is for Cloudflare's MX to receive all emails for my domains, reject them if I don't have a rule for the destination address and the 'catch-all' for the domain is to reject or else forward them to one or more GMail addresses.

I don't think you would enjoy MXroute as an alternative to Cloudflare for the use case that you're describing. It might be fine, but that was built to be what it is, we're built to be a bit more of a standard mail host.

• @jmlet said:
    I'd there a trial or refund period offered so I can test it myself?

From Pre-BF Thread:

@jar said: Q: What is your refund policy?
    A: Pitchforks. Please don't sign up if you think you might want a refund. I'd rather lose the potential sale. I don't care if it's unfriendly; it's the only way to stop people from forcing me to offer "Free trials" and eat the overhead they generate. That overhead bleeds into our actual client's services if I let it, and I will violently refuse to raise prices on my customers.

Thanked by 2jar maverickp
  • jmletjmlet Member
    edited November 2022

@jar said: I don't think you would enjoy MXroute as an alternative to Cloudflare for the use case that you're describing.

@tototo said: @jar said: Q: What is your refund policy?
    A: Pitchforks. (...)

Thanks @jar (directly and through @tototo) for the frank, candid answers.

I will be sure to stay away, then.

• I can vouch for @jar! I've been using a BF deals since I believe 2017 or 2018 (not sure how old is the "one" node :) ) and it's been stellar so far! Never had big issues in that timeframe as much as I remember.

Thanked by 2jar pepa65
  • When reseller plan available?

@Vikasverma said:
    When reseller plan available?

I have to complete a migration of one before I can sell any more spots.

• ihellihell Member
    edited November 2022

Just a tip for anyone who wants to migrate his/her email accounts from one to another (e.g. switch to jarland's promo plan).
    omm.ovh.net
    OVH has provided this migration tool that supports imap and exchange protocol. It can sync all folders / contacts / calendar from your old mailbox to another and it will send you an email once the migration has finished. You might also delete your migration history from ovh servers with so-called whatever GDPR rules if you have concerns about your privacy.

• @angstrom said: I always find it amusing when users use Maildir/ for storage

Interesting. What do you recommend instead for email storage? I'm currently using Dovecot on maildirs for accessing all my emails going back decades. What is a better solution?

• @AlwaysHappy said:
    If I take the $10 plan, what will be the charge next year?

I think I know that one: $10..!

• waiting for reseller plans

• @ihell said:
    Just a tip for anyone who wants to migrate his/her email accounts from one to another (e.g. switch to jarland's promo plan).
    omm.ovh.net
    OVH has provided this migration tool that supports imap and exchange protocol. It can sync all folders / contacts / calendar from your old mailbox to another and it will send you an email once the migration has finished. You might also delete your migration history from ovh servers with so-called whatever GDPR rules if you have concerns about your privacy.

As I am using free zoho mail which does not provide IMAP/POP3, I think I will not be able to use the migration tool. Found this method
    https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/adminconsole/email-backup.html
    Will this work for exporting from zoho and importing in to mxroute?