Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website Design Competition -- FreeVPS.org - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Website Design Competition -- FreeVPS.org

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

Hi @default! Hope you feel better soon! Best wishes! Tom

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @default! Hope you feel better soon! Best wishes! Tom

I am feeling great. Thanks. Best wishes to you too.

@default said: I am the saddest and laziest troll in the whole wide world.

You said you were sad, so I said I hope you feel better.

@default said: I am feeling great. Thanks. Best wishes to you too.

Looks like my good wishes worked! :) I am glad! :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@default said: I am the saddest and laziest troll in the whole wide world.

You said you were sad, so I said I hope you feel better.

@default said: I am feeling great. Thanks. Best wishes to you too.

Looks like my good wishes worked! :) I am glad! :)

A person can feel great and sad at the same time. Happiness is not always correlated to positive thinking. Happiness is best defined as peace of mind and conscience (at least this is how I see it).

Sadness however, is an emotion which in this case I correlate to LET profits. Your good wishes only received a formal respect from my side due to the fact that you actually noticed how I feel about underlying LET profits and hidden purposes. I respect you as a person and human being, but you're still a moderator on LET, so please allow me to challenge the thinking foundations which drive your projects.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, on the surface.

@default said: my side

I don't see the two of us as being on "different sides." :)

• niranjanniranjan Member
    edited October 2022

@raindog308 said:

I think this one is an intentional "who cares?" Everything you'd ever need is there and there is literally no reason to do more than the bare minimum. For a company with a $600B+ market cap.

"If you have any comments about our WEB page, you can write us at the address shown above. However, due to the limited number of personnel in our corporate office, we are unable to provide a direct response."

It wouldn't surprise me if Warren did the site himself.

If I ever go to the annual meeting, I am going to bring up the fact that they're using a GoDaddy cert when they could save money by using Let's Encrypt. Wastrels.

I thought of the same thing when i visited the site!

GoDaddy certs are free if site is hosted on GoDaddy itself!

• emgemg Veteran

@niranjan said:

Another chain to keep you tied to GoDaddy.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@niranjan said:

@raindog308 said:

I think this one is an intentional "who cares?" Everything you'd ever need is there and there is literally no reason to do more than the bare minimum. For a company with a $600B+ market cap.

"If you have any comments about our WEB page, you can write us at the address shown above. However, due to the limited number of personnel in our corporate office, we are unable to provide a direct response."

If I ever go to the annual meeting, I am going to bring up the fact that they're using a GoDaddy cert when they could save money by using Let's Encrypt. Wastrels.

What's different from a GoDaddy cert and letsencrypt cert?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said: Hi again @ravi!

I think your "hext" template looks great!

Do you want to adapt your template to FreeVPS.org so as to enter our design competition?

Hi again @ravi!

Would you want actively to help FreeVPS.org integrate your template? Thank you either way.

Best!

Tom

Thanked by 1ravi

Hello!

I thought the AI web design was fun!

Does anybody want to become the web designer / programmer for FreeVPS.org? If yes, please post a design suggestion to enter the contest.

Thanks!

Tom

• @Not_Oles said:

Do you want to adapt your template to FreeVPS.org so as to enter our design competition?

Hi again @ravi!

Would you want actively to help FreeVPS.org integrate your template? Thank you either way.

Best!

Tom

Yes, I can help with my template.

Regards:

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@ravi said:

@Not_Oles said:

Hi again @ravi!

Best!

Tom

Yes, I can help with my template.

Regards:

Great! Seems like @ravi's template is the front runner since it's the only entry so far. Anybody else?

Thanked by 1ravi
  • @default said:
    @Not_Oles ← What will be the fee for providers to post offers on FreeVPS.org ?

Plot twist: in two years, FreeVPS.org becomes competitor with LET.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles yoursunny
  • @emg said:

@niranjan said:

Another chain to keep you tied to GoDaddy.

Buffett's weekly Coca-Cola budget probably dwarfs the total amount of money they ever spent at godaddy.

Also, I'm guessing that "tie" is like 15 minutes work. It's not some government payroll system running on Oracle.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@TimboJones said:

@default said:

Not the intention. I'd be very surprised! 😯 Plus we'd need to use forum software like Vanilla or Arc Forum. I couldn't even do that without a really good front end webmaster genius.

Jon's been really nice to me! If I were to decide to try becoming Jon's competition, he'd be the first to encourage me and to wish me good luck. ❤️

Maybe "free" is indeed the future of the Low End. Lots of big providers offer free plans now and those free plans are getting bigger. Maybe FreeVPS.org could become a centralized connection point for all the big providers' free plans in addition to continuing the tiny slices we have been providing.

Best wishes to all and special thanks to @jbiloh and @GTHost.

@patro said: Then use screenshot to code and get the corresponding html/css design (https://github.com/emilwallner/Screenshot-to-code)

Floydhub might be gone. Cloudflare says "Error 1016 Origin DNS error."

There is a Github issue from 12 days ago. https://github.com/emilwallner/Screenshot-to-code/issues/72

On the good side, I have an existing server set up which already has some of the stuff required for a local installation of Screenshot-to-Code. So maybe I will try to install it.

Does anybody have Screenshot-to-Code set up and working? :)

• @FatGrizzly said:

@niranjan said:

@raindog308 said:

idk, GoDaddy has different Certificate Authority and root CA than Let's Encrypt,

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • emgemg Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

GoDaddy certificates cost money, either through buying the certificate directly or through paying for other services where a "free" certificate is included. An attacker is less likely to use GoDaddy certificates for a fake or hacked website if they must pay for it out of pocket. Of course, they may have taken over the victim's GoDaddy account to use it for their own purposes.

Let's Encrypt is free and will automatically issue a free certificate without waiting. All you must do is show that you have control of the domain - whether you control it legitimately or are an attacker who just "pwned" it. With Let's Encrypt, you can create as many fake websites with as many "valid" certificates as you need. Free, without waiting.

Whenever I see a Let's Encrypt certificate, I am wary, especially if I am being asked to provide personal information, health information, or payment information. I have no issues with Let's Encrypt certificates that prove ownership of a domain for an informational or news website or a forum like this one.

Let's Encrypt certificates are useful to me for simple uses such as VPS GUI control panels (e.g., Webmin), our household firewall's GUI interface, my personal websites, etc.

When your browser shows you a padlock icon, you do not know who issued the certificate, only that the certificate matches the URL in the address bar. You must click on the certificate icon and drill down a couple menus to see the actual certificate.

Here is an example of a company that sells certificates, but uses a Let's Encrypt certificate for their home page. I had my domains registered with them for over 15 years, but do NOT recommend them. The company is AIT (Advanced Internet Technologies). I am so glad that I have moved away from them. Type "ait.com" in your browser, and it will redirect to:

"ait.com" ->
    https://website-design.ait.com//

The website above, AIT's home page, is secured with a Let's Encrypt certificate. (!!) Note the typo in the redirect (two slash characters at the end), which works, but shows poor attention to detail. Here is the page where they sell certificates. That page is secured with a GlobalSign certificate:

https://www.ait.com/security/ssl-certificates/

By the way, I ended up speaking with one of the senior managers on the phone while trying to get them to acknowledge my domain transfer requests away from AIT. Since he was nice enough to help me get my domains moved away, I informed him about the "misconfigured" home page with the Let's Encrypt certificate during our phone call. That was three months ago. I guess he forgot about it. It is still unchanged. As I said, I do not recommend AIT.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
    edited October 2022

@emg said:

@FatGrizzly said:

GoDaddy certificates cost money, either through buying the certificate directly or through paying for other services where a "free" certificate is included. An attacker is less likely to use GoDaddy certificates for a fake or hacked website if they must pay for it out of pocket. Of course, they may have taken over the victim's GoDaddy account to use it for their own purposes.

Let's Encrypt is free and will automatically issue a free certificate without waiting. All you must do is show that you have control of the domain - whether you control it legitimately or are an attacker who just "pwned" it. With Let's Encrypt, you can create as many fake websites with as many "valid" certificates as you need. Free, without waiting.

Whenever I see a Let's Encrypt certificate, I am wary, especially if I am being asked to provide personal information, health information, or payment information. I have no issues with Let's Encrypt certificates that prove ownership of a domain for an informational or news website or a forum like this one.

Let's Encrypt certificates are useful to me for simple uses such as VPS GUI control panels (e.g., Webmin), our household firewall's GUI interface, my personal websites, etc.

When your browser shows you a padlock icon, you do not know who issued the certificate, only that the certificate matches the URL in the address bar. You must click on the certificate icon and drill down a couple menus to see the actual certificate.

Here is an example of a company that sells certificates, but uses a Let's Encrypt certificate for their home page. I had my domains registered with them for over 15 years, but do NOT recommend them. The company is AIT (Advanced Internet Technologies). I am so glad that I have moved away from them. Type "ait.com" in your browser, and it will redirect to:

"ait.com" ->
    https://website-design.ait.com//

The website above, AIT's home page, is secured with a Let's Encrypt certificate. (!!) Note the typo in the redirect (two slash characters at the end), which works, but shows poor attention to detail. Here is the page where they sell certificates. That page is secured with a GlobalSign certificate:

https://www.ait.com/security/ssl-certificates/

By the way, I ended up speaking with one of the senior managers on the phone while trying to get them to acknowledge my domain transfer requests away from AIT. Since he was nice enough to help me get my domains moved away, I informed him about the "misconfigured" home page with the Let's Encrypt certificate during our phone call. That was three months ago. I guess he forgot about it. It is still unchanged. As I said, I do not recommend A

Edit: Sorry, seems like I'm derailing a thread

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • emgemg Veteran

@FatGrizzly said:

Me too. I hope the response was helpful to someone. If not, the moderators can delete it - I wrote it for others, not myself.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said:

@TimboJones said:

@default said:

Not the intention. I'd be very surprised! 😯 Plus we'd need to use forum software like Vanilla or Arc Forum. I couldn't even do that without a really good front end webmaster genius.

Jon's been really nice to me! If I were to decide to try becoming Jon's competition, he'd be the first to encourage me and to wish me good luck. ❤️

Maybe "free" is indeed the future of the Low End. Lots of big providers offer free plans now and those free plans are getting bigger. Maybe FreeVPS.org could become a centralized connection point for all the big providers' free plans in addition to continuing the tiny slices we have been providing.

Best wishes to all and special thanks to @jbiloh and @GTHost.

👀 If you carefully think about it, it isn't that hard.

Setup Discourse on a low-end box and you can use it pretty much until 1k-2k active users.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Not_Oles said: Maybe "free" is indeed the future of the Low End. Lots of big providers offer free plans now and those free plans are getting bigger. Maybe FreeVPS.org could become a centralized connection point for all the big providers' free plans in addition to continuing the tiny slices we have been providing.

The FreeVPS.us story is not quite the same but related.

@iamATOM said: I will try to spin up a mockup today or tomorrow.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it! :)

@emg said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Me too. I hope the response was helpful to someone. If not, the moderators can delete it - I wrote it for others, not myself.

No worries! An interesting discussion is fine. Thanks you! :)

edited October 2022

Setup Discourse on a low-end box and you can use it pretty much until 1k-2k active users.

Thanks! The thing is, I wasn't imagining doing it myself. I was imagining some guys might want to take over and expand FreeVPS.org. I have something elsewhere that I want to do.

Besides a web designer, FreeVPS.org could use a sysadmin to help @TheOnlyDK when he is sleeping and if we get the additional servers that people have been talking about donating. FVPS could use an attorney and an accountant. Plus some board members.

FVPS is off the ground now thanks to @GTHost and to @TheOnlyDK. Additional thanks to @yoursunny and @DP. I hope a few more people will join and contribute in the needed areas before I move elsewhere.

My move is gonna happen soon. Even if nothing more happens, I think @TheOnlyDK will do a great job with FreeVPS.org for as long as @GTHost wants to continue donating the first server. And ~20 people already have received nice free VPSes, which is great! :)

• @emg said:

It's generally not recommended to put a certificate on a private IP accessed host like your home firewall as it's more likely to bork you than help you (it provides no additional benefit over self signed).

Thanked by 1emg

@Not_Oles said:

Thanks! The thing is, I wasn't imagining doing it myself. I was imagining some guys might want to take over and expand FreeVPS.org. I have something elsewhere that I want to do.

Besides a web designer, FreeVPS.org could use a sysadmin to help @TheOnlyDK when he is sleeping and if we get the additional servers that people have been talking about donating. FVPS could use an attorney and an accountant. Plus some board members.

FVPS is off the ground now thanks to @GTHost and to @TheOnlyDK. Additional thanks to @yoursunny and @DP. I hope a few more people will join and contribute in the needed areas before I move elsewhere.

My move is gonna happen soon. Even if notging more happens, I think @TheOnlyDK will do a great job with FreeVPS.org for as long as @GTHost wants to continue donating the first server. And ~20 people already have received nice free VPSes, which is great! :)

Most people here probably would not like to take over freevps.org, but would definitely like to help.
    I can help you with web-related stuff.

@FatGrizzly said: Most people here probably would not like to take over freevps.org,

Yeah. Understood. I thought it was worth asking, because somebody might want to do it.

@FatGrizzly said: but would definitely like to help.

Sure! Plenty of nice folks here! :)

@FatGrizzly said: I can help you with web-related stuff.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Wanna work up a prototype and link it here to enter the contest?

All that needs to be said probably is just the basics from this thread and the Free NAT KVM Courtesy of GTHost thread, especially the Free NAT KVM thread's OP.

Something simple is fine. Any questions, please ask. Thanks again!

@Not_Oles said:

@FatGrizzly said: Most people here probably would not like to take over freevps.org,

Yeah. Understood. I thought it was worth asking, because somebody might want to do it.

@FatGrizzly said: but would definitely like to help.

Sure! Plenty of nice folks here! :)

@FatGrizzly said: I can help you with web-related stuff.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Wanna work up a prototype and link it here to enter the contest?

All that needs to be said probably is just the basics from this thread and the Free NAT KVM Courtesy of GTHost thread, especially the Free NAT KVM thread's OP.

Something simple is fine. Any questions, please ask. Thanks again!

I think i misphrased it. I can help with system administration/ web administration, I don't do web design.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles jwg29859

Ah! Got it! Thanks! Any chance you have a profile / resume / website which details your sysadmin and webadmin skillset and experience? Please PM me if you wish. Thanks again!