Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle free tier: Free Ubuntu Cloud PC 24GB RAM 4 vCPUs 200GB Storage ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle free tier: Free Ubuntu Cloud PC 24GB RAM 4 vCPUs 200GB Storage !

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@AXYZE said: Please, respect that I spent my time defining what is wrong with these topics.

I do respect the time you put in, but please also respect mine.
    I have already changed the title and will from now on either clearly mark them or create a new 'Newbie' category.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2022

Woah! A lot has changed since I connected last night. I remember going to bed after reading the shorter version of this thread. This is what I thought: "The subject of this thread is click bait. What is needed here is to change the subject to include 'Oracle' or 'Oracle Free Tier'".

I woke up this morning and lo and behold! - the subject was fixed to what I thought it should be.

We should give credit and positive feedback to @Arkas for trying something fresh and new, so ...
    -> Thanks for the valiant attempts to provide "tutorial-type" content for us and especially for trying to encourage the unwashed, non-posting masses to engage on LowEndTalk.

Unfortunately, it is not working for a variety of reasons. Most of those reasons has been well-stated above, and I won't repeat the comments. Suffice it to say that I agree with the others - nice try, but these threads are not helping. There are no shortcuts. Trust me, most people who have heard of "VPS" and come to LowEndTalk have sufficient web searching skills to find the original videos for themselves. There is little "value added" to Arkas' threads like this one.

One thing that has not yet been said is that LowEndTalk does not have a way to vet, manage, and organize tutorial-type information for VPS newbies in a way that makes it easy to find in the future. Arkas and LowEndTalk need that structure.

To Arkas:
    There is a fine line between persistence and stubbornness. You must know when it is appropriate to stand your ground and defend your beliefs, versus careful reading and acceptance of constructive criticism. When I was a young technologist, we used to call certain bosses a "ROM" (read-only memory) behind their back. Know when to give up and try something different.

My father used to say, "When everybody tells you you're dead, lie down."

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2022

I'm trying to engage newbies that are on this platform. We have a gigantic membership count, and many log in. I suspect they are too shy to post, as LET members tend to be advanced users, and let's face it, this isn't the most newbie friendly place.
    Now, I sit and ponder whether it's time like your father used to say, to lie down.
    At the very least, I tried, probably without much success.

Thanked by 2emg exception0x876
  • Still posting spam I see... You really shouldn't respond with such negative energy as a mod arkas..
    I mean you keep saying that there's this huge audience of people who don't reply but did you ever stop and think maybe that they don't want to reply because they're just here for that deal link and have no interest in staying and chatting, or maybe even that 40% of the internet is generally bot traffic.. anyway I agree with axyze 100% that your wasting potential.

• Any way around the build limit?

• @Arkas said: I'm trying to engage newbies that are on this platform.

yet you are doing totally wrong. please reread @AXYZE valuable input again, as he is absolutely right.

what you are doing here is the opposed thing. you are driving people away instead of offering something to engage with.
    away from LET, away from discussions. you don't even offer anything to discuss, like some related questions, good or bad points from the video, whatever.

instead they will learn that youtube and it's advanced algorythm will have their path to further informations. LET was a jumphost. but not needed anymore. k thx bye.

if that would be for a real product... from a marketing perspective... this'd be a nightmare.

but hey, you do you do. I am sure Jon approves, maybe he also doesn't know anything about funnels, channels, customer journeys and other marketing related stuff.

Thanked by 2henix afn
  • afnafn Member
    edited October 2022

@Arkas said: Forces you to watch? Seriously...

@ahnlak gave a good reply.
    Yes you are, and despite all the comments, and all the "thanks" on the first comment, you still waited long enough to modify the thread to say "oracle". Which made it look as if you were oblivious, and just here to gather views to the YouTube channel.

Now it is done, See? it is better now, and comes out really as a nice tip/gesture from you to newbies about oracle free service, as you initially intended, instead of it looking like a moderator abusing his position to post spam and gather views while thinking he is immune to rules on spam posting.

Thanks for the modification!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@afn said: instead of it looking like a moderator abusing his position to post spam

And to what end please tell me would I be doing that? I really, really would like a reply that makes sense from you.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2022

@Arkas said:
    I'm trying to engage newbies that are on this platform. We have a gigantic membership count, and many log in. I suspect they are too shy to post, as LET members tend to be advanced users, and let's face it, this isn't the most newbie friendly place.
    Now, I sit and ponder whether it's time like your father used to say, to lie down.
    At the very least, I tried, probably without much success.

Well, as they say, "Don't take it lying down." :-)

My advice:
    Your goals are admirable. This method did not work, so try something else. A better approach may require more work on your part. Perhaps a lot more work. Sometimes there are no shortcuts to do something right. If it seems quick and easy, it might be worth your time to step back and give it serious thought first.

• @Arkas said:

@LTniger said: Moderation and administration unit ignorance leads to intensified community resistance. Pushing beyond that, will eventually settle in with passiveness, division and community collapse.

Right.....

Response to being told mod repeatedly ignores feedback...

FFS. If you're going to troll, at least be funny. Right now, you appear to argue with feedback like we're wrong instead of you.

• afnafn Member

@Arkas said: And to what end please tell me would I be doing that? I really, really would like a reply that makes sense from you.

To what end? If I get your question correctly, then I already explained that?

As I said above, at first it looked weird (not saying this was your intention), as if you are trying (for some reason) to gain views for that YT channel.

Really listen to us, we are not lecturing you, but perhaps telling you how it looks like from our perspective and how it came out. As @Falzo said, you are probably trying to do something nice, but it did not look so.

Consider it, maybe, just maybe, since many people are saying it, there might be a chance it is right. (not saying just because a lot of us said then it is right, just saying there is a possibility, give it some thought.)

• @Arkas said:
    I'm trying to engage newbies that are on this platform. We have a gigantic membership count, and many log in. I suspect they are too shy to post,

Dude, they're here for deals. The majority don't want to post.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • @Arkas said:

@afn said: instead of it looking like a moderator abusing his position to post spam

And to what end please tell me would I be doing that? I really, really would like a reply that makes sense from you.

You tell us "to what end". The quoted part makes complete sense. Not sure what you're confused about... You just had 1.5 pages of people telling you what you were doing looks like spam and you're a mod.

Please let us know if you need further explanation. We want to make sure you really understand this time.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited October 2022

As others have said (and credit to you for updating the title of the post), there are different ways to go about user engagement. However, from my experiences as a user and a moderator in various communities (gaming, social, etc.), the best moderators are the ones who are mostly "hands off" and just get involved when issues arise or an important message needs to be promoted for users to see.

Good moderators mostly just sit back and let the community generate discussions and flourish on its own, and only get involved when they see a situation derailing a thread or escalating into personal attacks rather than constructive criticism on the topic of discussion. There's nothing wrong with them creating a thread to introduce a topic or start a discussion within the community, but that behavior would work in the same way as a regular user making a post or commenting on a discussion.

However, if a moderator is trying to post topics to introduce new members to the community or to make "shy" members feel more welcome to contribute to the conversation, that's not really a "moderator" position, it's more of a "content contributor" or a "community engagement manager" role. A moderator's job is to moderate threads and make sure they don't get out of hand.

Please don't get upset with people trying to give you feedback on this, we enjoy visiting LET and we're giving feedback because we care. There are others who just get upset and leave the community instead because they see the administration making changes that they don't like and figure they can find another community elsewhere. The ones who are giving you feedback are the ones who don't want to leave this place just yet, and are still hopeful that the administration is willing to listen to its community and work together to keep it as a welcome place for all.

A moderator without an active community has nothing to moderate.

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2022

Penis.

Or, also known as:

Chill

It's a forum, not some professional site.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I've already admitted that my way may not be the best for LET. I did that many posts ago. The fact that more people want to add to it serves no purpose. As for my position, I am also a contributor to hopefully help LET grow further. I'll think of another way thanks to the feedback I got, and I mean that.

• I think everyone's period synchronised 😆

• Hello

• Is there a giveaway if we reach 10 pages?

• @Arkas said:
    ...I have already changed the title...

@jbiloh
    while two weeks ago, in the moderation feedback thread where majority of community negatively rated the way the moderation (not) works now, you announced few important decisions:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3488425/#Comment_3488425

@jbiloh said:
    All,

The votes and opinions of our community members are important. It is clear that some tweaks are necessary to our methods and application of our moderation here at LowEndTalk.
    In response to the feedback provided in this thread we will be making the following changes effective immediately:

• Moderators will no longer moderate in threads of their own creation.

so how come, that in this case super spammer did not step out (and called another moderator for unbiased judgment), but still continued to fight with community, selling us his usual BS how much does he care about LET (posting low effort low value random content dedicated for unidentified mentally handicapped never seen Yeti members satisfied with his spam), about community feedback ("thanks to the feedback I got, and I mean that" really?!?!?!), about rules, and even committed tampering with thread title clearly against your new regulation???

inevitable
    obvious
    decision

• @Andrews said: Moderators will no longer moderate in threads of their own creation.

Let's add to that

@henix said:
    To think i was banned for doing exactly this.
    What a joke

For this comment, i got warned (again) by arkas.

I did flag his post as spam because that's just what it is, but where was i disrespectful?
    Everytime i comment to any of his threads i get a warn.
    Mind to check exactly what i did wrong here?
    @jbiloh @FAT32 @DP @raindog308

Thanks

• @henix said:
    Let's add to that

I did flag his post as spam because that's just what it is, but where was i disrespectful?

Thanks

Wow, I didn't know he did that. So much for his promise not to moderate his own threads, this is another example of a power trip.

Thanked by 2henix Thundas
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2022

@henix said:

@Andrews said: Moderators will no longer moderate in threads of their own creation.

Let's add to that

@henix said:
    To think i was banned for doing exactly this.
    What a joke

Thanks

Since when was flagging a post written by a moderator against the rules?

Edit: wtf I must be out of the loop.

• @doghouch said:
    Since when was flagging a post written by a moderator against the rules?

Edit: wtf I must be out of the loop.

it is nothing new from his side, as in the past (June) he already banned me for not being enthusiastic enough about his other spam thread (I wrote simple line "content generator or moderator"), and Jon was fully aware about this incident

so, I wonder if now he handed out warnings, severe level warnings for everybody who flagged this thread as spam, as it clearly violates another Jon's policy from mentioned post two weeks ago:

@jbiloh said:
    In response to the feedback provided in this thread we will be making the following changes effective immediately:

• Moderators will no longer moderate in threads of their own creation.
    • Community members can voice their opinions about the forum, events, users and the moderator/admin team without fear of reprisal or banning so long as no ugly, racist, or other vicious attacks are used in communicating those opinions.
    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2022

In my opinion, this thread is not spam in the traditional sense. Creating this thread was an attempt to do good, and the goals are admirable. As I said above, I agree with many others who assert that these threads are not working and are not a positive contribution to the LowEndTalk community.

To be honest, these threads display a lack of maturity, despite being posted in good faith. The same lack of maturity has been seen in the defensive reactions to honest feedback and constructive criticism. In my opinion, what we have witnessed are attempts to find quick and easy shortcuts on the path to become a major, recognized contributor (dare I say "player"?) on LowEndTalk.

The final straw for me was seeing the Severe warning to @henix for "Again disrespecting and flagging moderators posts."

The expectation that LowEndTalk members must pay attention to the poster's role before flagging an objectionable post is fundamentally wrong. All posts should be subject to being flagged without fear of retribution or retaliation, regardless of who posted it. Even though I do not have the full context of the warning, it still feels like that. Anyone should feel free to flag any post. Sometimes I flag posts, and sometimes moderators reject the flags. It is good to know that they looked at it and gave it consideration, and then we both move on.

I have zero power on LowEndTalk, other than what I write, but I believe that now is the time to take a break from the moderator role. There is no disrespect and no shame here. Let us recognize that sometimes we must pause to reassess our strengths and weaknesses, in order to find new ways to apply them in the best, most constructive way.

• @ahnlak said:
    Tag, category, whatever makes it possible to spot them outwith just "oh it's another Arkas thread" would be great. Something in the title would be ideal so it's easy to spot / filter them out at a glance.

The very first thing on the line below the title tells you who started the thread.

• @TimboJones said:

@Arkas said:

You tell us "to what end". The quoted part makes complete sense. Not sure what you're confused about... You just had 1.5 pages of people telling you what you were doing looks like spam and you're a mod.

Please let us know if you need further explanation. We want to make sure you really understand this time.

Most native speakers of English are able to correctly interpret "to what end" as meaning "why".

• @Arkas said:

I think this is a worthy goal, but actually threads like this, or more specifically the reaction threads like this get probably actually work against this goal.

If I was a newbie here and had just found a random video that had helped me, I sure as hell wouldn't dare post it if I'd seen long time members reacting like this.

I think having a Newbie category on the forum with maybe a hard stance on insulting behaviour towards the poster would be necessary before newer members would feel safe posting something without fear of being ridiculed.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@ralf said: I think having a Newbie category on the forum with maybe a hard stance on insulting behaviour towards the poster would be necessary before newer members would feel safe posting something without fear of being ridiculed.

I have put forward the request that such a category be created. All I can do is ask.

• @ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

@Arkas said:

Most native speakers of English are able to correctly interpret "to what end" as meaning "why".

whoosh SMH. There was no reading issue on my part. Someone asking what their own intentions are and being told to tell us instead. Jesus f. Christ.

It's a BS response to defend that he wasn't spamming because ?Motive?. It's irrelevant the motive or end goal. Someone else said it's not spam because Arkas had good intentions. So what? That's not what makes spam, spam. There's weird gymnastics going on to justify these posts.