Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share your experiences regarding LETs moderation - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Share your experiences regarding LETs moderation

124»

Comments

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    The fact alone that there is a need for this thread to exist - that means that there is a problem with your moderators.

It means that @Pilzbaum believes there's a problem with the moderators.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @ralf said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    The fact alone that there is a need for this thread to exist - that means that there is a problem with your moderators.

According to the poll - he is not the only one thinking that though.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Guys guys we all need to smoke the green sticky icky! Real some ppl know exactly what they are doing and know how to press an individual buttons. Hey I have had made things personal in the past. but hey it takes 2 make things alright!

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited September 2022

@ralf said:

@Pilzbaum said:
    This, in combination with some (half backed) content pushing, following some negative feedbacks from multiple sides and a non de-escalating manner did lead to gudgres by all participants.

The thing is though, those thread instantly degenerates into "paid sponsorship" or "terrible moderator" solely because you know he's a moderator and people have a beef with him personally and how LET in general is run.

Your dismissal of the user feedback is insulting. There's CLEARLY issues with the content and how it's presented and it's exceptionally ignorant to blame that on LET users instead of video tutorials to more technically literate people than OP is.

If it was a normal user posting these tutorials, people would either ignore them or make a sarcastic comment and move on.

No, that's clearly not the case, since others don't do that, repeatedly. I can't believe that a site with more technical people aren't actually annoyed at non-technical people trying to use videos to improve their skills. It makes me wonder what skilled mods like @FAT32 and @raindog308 are thinking/saying in private. I think they have some responsibility to PM them and be like, "seriously, dude, video tutorials for tech stuff is rarely a good idea".

• I'm just curious that when Arkas and Not_Oles were made mods by @jbiloh, was that completely his decision or did multiple other mods recommend and support it? Because to me, those appointments stick out NIGHT|DAY different from all previous mods in my experience. So much so, I suspect a process change that resulted in that.

I'm happy with @angstrom. I like when he clearly marks a user's post as edited inline by him with useful and proper feedback. So I'd be curious about that appointment, as well.

• @TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@Pilzbaum said:
    This, in combination with some (half backed) content pushing, following some negative feedbacks from multiple sides and a non de-escalating manner did lead to gudgres by all participants.

The thing is though, those thread instantly degenerates into "paid sponsorship" or "terrible moderator" solely because you know he's a moderator and people have a beef with him personally and how LET in general is run.

Your dismissal of the user feedback is insulting.

Your dismissal of my point and twisting it into something else is insulting.

There's CLEARLY issues with the content and how it's presented and it's exceptionally ignorant to blame that on LET users instead of video tutorials to more technical literate people than OP is.

That's a great observation. It also has precisely nothing to do with whether the OP is a mod or not.

If it was a normal user posting these tutorials, people would either ignore them or make a sarcastic comment and move on.

No, that's clearly not the case, since others don't do that, repeatedly. I can't believe that a site with more technical people aren't actually annoyed at non-technical people trying to use videos to improve their skills.

Would it really be such an absolute travesty if people actually learned stuff from this forum?

Thanked by 2Not_Oles jsg
  • @ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@Pilzbaum said:

I didn't dismiss it. I directly responded to it. I didn't twist anything; your point was clear with the word "solely".

There's CLEARLY issues with the content and how it's presented and it's exceptionally ignorant to blame that on LET users instead of video tutorials to more technical literate people than OP is.

That's a great observation. It also has precisely nothing to do with whether the OP is a mod or not.

It did, because you JUST dismissed this right above as not the reason for complaint! The complaint about content/spam came first; the shit about mod came as a result from the threats, not in OP.

No, that's clearly not the case, since others don't do that, repeatedly. I can't believe that a site with more technical people aren't actually annoyed at non-technical people trying to use videos to improve their skills.

Would it really be such an absolute travesty if people actually learned stuff from this forum?

Is this learning? Is this the best way to learn? Are people interested in that format? What if someone put 10 hours into a video but it was actually wrong? Videos are better suited to showing concepts, not hands on tutorials. That's what reading and copy/pasting and screenshots are for. Wtf advantage does video format have for hands on technical tutorials?

Were you around when I railed so hard pointing out problems with jsg's benchmark app? Because this touches on similar topics. Arkas famously defended jsg despite having never used the benchmark and having no technical experience in the testing. It's largely the reason I was flabbergasted to learn he was made a mod.

• @TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@Pilzbaum said:

I didn't dismiss it. I directly responded to it. I didn't twist anything; your point was clear with the word "solely".

I don't want to get into yet another pointless argument with you. But please READ the things you are responding to:

What user feedback were you claiming that I've dismissed exactly?

Or are you telling me that all these instances where people have had a go at this mod are because of the content of what he's said and nothing at all to do with the fact that he's a mod. Because I remember a certain user who got banned several times, and every time his ban ran out, he'd jump straight into whatever thread that mod had last posted in to accuse him of racist genocide. But sure, that's all totally about the content of the posts.

It did, because you JUST dismissed this right above as not the reason for complaint! The complaint about content/spam came first; the shit about mod came as a result from the threats, not in OP.

In multiple thread over several months, I've noticed a pattern that whenever a certain mod says ANYTHING, people criticise his stuff, invoke racist memes, etc. Very, very, very rarely is it actually relevant to the thing he's posted, it's because they don't like that he's a mod.

That was the point I was making. I didn't dismiss anybody else's stuff. I simply made my own point.

Is this learning? Is this the best way to learn? Are people interested in that format? What if someone put 10 hours into a video but it was actually wrong? Videos are better suited to showing concepts, not hands on tutorials. That's what reading and copy/pasting and screenshots are for. Wtf advantage does video format have for hands on technical tutorials?

Sometimes videos are useful ways for learning things. Personally, I prefer to read, but people have different learning styles and many people do in fact prefer to learn from videos.

I never watched any of them, either because the subject doesn't interest me, or I already know how to do whatever it is from the subject. So, you know what I do? I move on and read a different thread instead.

Were you around when I railed so hard pointing out problems with jsg's benchmark app? Because this touches on similar topics. Arkas famously defended jsg despite having never used the benchmark and having no technical experience in the testing. It's largely the reason I was flabbergasted to learn he was made a mod.

I don't know what benchmarking app you're talking about, maybe I just ignored that thread too because it doesn't sound particularly interesting to me. Or maybe I was just glad that you'd stopped arguing with me and were busy with someone else instead, so I could go back to having a peaceful life.

I also have no interest in learning any of the specific details about this app, but I fail to see why someone not having much or even any technical experience in one specific area would disqualify them from being a mod and make you flabbergasted.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited October 2022

@TimboJones said: Were you around when I railed so hard pointing out problems with jsg's benchmark app? Because this touches on similar topics. Arkas famously defended jsg despite having never used the benchmark and having no technical experience in the testing.

And you know this how?? You are questioning my technical abilities? I probably have a decade in network design on you, judging by your age from the way you post, though I could be wrong. Again, the videos are meant for NEW members that don't have technical expertise. LET isn't only for experts. Times are changing, get on with it. Have I chosen the wrong video in the one instance? Most probably I have and I will correct that error. It's funny you remember that I "famously defended" jsg benchmark script. Is that why you hold a grudge against me? Because I defended what I believe to be a superior benchmarking tool? This is getting more and more interesting. I still believe in jsg's app and I would defended it today just as I did then, but for someone to hold such a deep grudge over it, you need some "me" time, your judgement is becoming distorted.
    SMH

Thanked by 2BlaZe mikei
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2022

@NobodyInteresting said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

@ralf said:

@NobodyInteresting said:

According to the poll - he is not the only one thinking that though.

And again: No!
    All that means is that some people feel or possibly think that there is a problem.
    Kindly note that "some people feel or possibly think that there is a problem" != "there actually is a problem".

Diverse people feel and think (or "think") a whole lot. Some, for example, feel that math is somehow racist and some even feel that 2 + 2 != 4 and that others who think that 2 + 2 = 4 are somehow racist.

That's what (real) science is for. To find out how things really and objectively are.

Besides, there is virtually nothing without some people feeling or thinking (or "thinking") there's a problem with it.
    => despite the democracy belief system what people feel or think actually is largely irrelevant and/or can easily be manipulated.

You know who really cares about what people feel or think (or "think")? Advertisers and people wishing to sell something. In case you wonder how honest their interest is just look at their after-sales behaviour.

Similarly, sorry to possibly shock you, "going for quality" != "going for clicks". Usually quite the contrary. And yes, that's also true for communities I'm afraid.

• Forum looks clean, not so many annoying ads and sponsored posts!

• ArkasArkas Moderator

For more drama, post I want more free drama and win a free 1 hour drama filled live video conference with drama queen Arkas!

• @Arkas said:
    For more drama, post I want more free drama and win a free 1 hour drama filled live video conference with drama queen Arkas!

I want more free drama

Thanked by 1Arkas
    edited October 2022

@Arkas said:

Sorry, rejected. Call me stubborn but I want my drama here!

Unfortunately though, sorry to break it to you, you, at least as mod, are far too reasonable to be a drama queen anyway.

• lmao ok

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2022

@jsg said:
    Unfortunately though, sorry to break it to you, you, at least as mod, are far too reasonable to be a drama queen anyway.

LET needs a plot twist like this: a drama about a deep conspiracy between moderators and drama queens.

• @Arkas said:
    It's funny you remember that I "famously defended" jsg benchmark script. Is that why you hold a grudge against me? Because I defended what I believe to be a superior benchmarking tool? This is getting more and more interesting. I still believe in jsg's app and I would defended it today just as I did then, but for someone to hold such a deep grudge over it, you need some "me" time, your judgement is becoming distorted.
    SMH

There you go trying to gaslight me again. I give an example where you inserted yourself into an issue that didn't involve you and took jsg's side. You admit you would still defend jsg's app despite never, ever using it! That demonstrates that you are not objective and clearly have the grudge with me.

SMH indeed. Give yourself another timeout, you need one.

• @TimboJones said:

@Arkas said:
    It's funny you remember that I "famously defended" jsg benchmark script. Is that why you hold a grudge against me? Because I defended what I believe to be a superior benchmarking tool? This is getting more and more interesting. I still believe in jsg's app and I would defended it today just as I did then, but for someone to hold such a deep grudge over it, you need some "me" time, your judgement is becoming distorted.
    SMH

There you go trying to gaslight me again. I give an example where you inserted yourself into an issue that didn't involve you and took jsg's side. You admit you would still defend jsg's app despite never, ever using it! That demonstrates that you are not objective and clearly have the grudge with me.

Have you ever heard the phrase "like the pot calling the kettle black?"

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

All,

The votes and opinions of our community members are important. It is clear that some tweaks are necessary to our methods and application of our moderation here at LowEndTalk.

Moderating an active and dynamic message board like LowEndTalk is a difficult task. Those who have donated their time to do so have sincerely good intentions and I personally appreciate their time and contributions.

Historically LowEndTalk has been the wild west of the hosting industry, and that is part of our DNA, part of what makes this community both unique and interesting. There has been an internal effort to incrementally move LowEndTalk a little bit away from the intensity it has often been known for without moving so much that the community loses its identity.

This incremental shift and the processes and guidelines required for the moderators to successfully carry out their duties have not been sufficiently outlined by me. Because of this their jobs have been more difficult and the moderation, at times, uneven. That failure falls on my shoulders and will be remedied.

In response to the feedback provided in this thread we will be making the following changes effective immediately:

• Moderators will no longer moderate in threads of their own creation.
    • Prior to warning a user a private 1 on 1 PM will be sent explaining the rule violation and with the intent of bringing down the temperature. We've noticed that the warning system often times ratchets up emotions -- which is not the intent.
    • Two warnings will first be applied before any temporary ban except in the case of clear spam accounts/similar.
    • Moderators are people too, which means frustrations sometimes boil over, however, moderators will avoid demeaning or attacking other users personally on the forum.
    • Community members can voice their opinions about the forum, events, users and the moderator/admin team without fear of reprisal or banning so long as no ugly, racist, or other vicious attacks are used in communicating those opinions.
    • Please respect one another. LowEndTalk must maintain its fun environment to be healthy and worth visiting, but let's all be mindful of the balance required to limit toxicity.

The above list is not intended to be all encompassing but rather to explain our recognition that tweaks are needed and the resulting pivot we are making.

Lastly, I want to thank both our community members for being vocal and telling it straight and our moderator team who sincerely want the best for the community and who generously devote their time in that aim.

• @ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

@Arkas said:
    SMH

Read the friggin subject, FFS! SMH

Also, please tell me where I'm blindly defending an app I've never used. Or similar situation.

Oh well, for some, incl. @jbiloh, it's about the community. And for a few others it's about "Me! Me! Me!". Aggressively as usual, of course.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2022

@jsg said:
    Oh well, for some, incl. @jbiloh, it's about the community. And for a few others it's about "Me! Me! Me!". Aggressively as usual, of course.

And the purpose of this post is to... add value to the thread?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie said:

Sometimes it's just about "Me! Me! Me!"

@HalfEatenPie said:

@jsg said:

It was to hint at egomaniac, ignorant people who don't care about the community but only about themselves and being right, no matter how clueless and wrong they are and no matter the cost for the community.
    I'm sorry if you feel that I attacked a friend of yours.

• @TimboJones said:

@ralf said:

@TimboJones said:

@Arkas said:
    SMH

Read the friggin subject, FFS! SMH

Also, please tell me where I'm blindly defending an app I've never used. Or similar situation.

I was referring to gaslighting, although most of the other things you accuse him of could also apply to you. I have no idea what apps you have or haven't defended, nor do I care.

edited October 2022

@jsg said: It was to hint at egomaniac, ignorant people who don't care about the community but only about themselves and being right, no matter how clueless and wrong they are and no matter the cost for the community.
    I'm sorry if you feel that I attacked a friend of yours.

Well someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I just felt that your post was so lol and ironic. Way to assume there champ. You're being very subjective right now. Dial it down like 40%

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I just felt ... You're being very subjective right now.

"Logic" at work.

And now kindly excuse me, I'm interested in the community and hosting, not in whether you like me or not or in how you feel I am, etc.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
    edited October 2022

@jsg said:

@HalfEatenPie said:
    I just felt ... You're being very subjective right now.

"Logic" at work.

And now kindly excuse me, I'm interested in the community and hosting, not in whether you like me or not or in how you feel I am, etc.

lol triggered.

Alright you do you bud.

Edit: Yes I'm being a dick. But lol come on. He just backhand-insulted people, called them selfish, and pretty much made a statement that anyone who argues with him is only in it for themselves... without adding anything of value to the thread. It's just so ironic. It's just so funny. It's like white knighting a server hosting community for... what being rough to itself and others?

• @jsg said:

I thought that he was referring to himself and his benchmark app. He didn't want to open source it, discuss details or take feedback. It was all about getting attention and likes, which never materialized.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ