Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share your experiences regarding LETs moderation - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Share your experiences regarding LETs moderation

Comments

• @neverain said:

@Not_Oles said:
    I see the Low End as changing. The economic situation is making it harder to be a Low End Provider. But LET and LEB have a bright future if they (1) remove negativity and toxicity so as to appeal to a wider audience, (2) add educational resources for people new to the Low End (thanks @Arkas), and (3) help new people utilize the now omnipresent and growing free cloud accounts from the big providers.

Forward! <3

arkas isnt posting educational content tho? dudes spamming YouTube videos

I like when he post free udemy courses, I have learned a lot of stuff from that.

• @iNanja said:

@neverain said:

@Not_Oles said:
    I see the Low End as changing. The economic situation is making it harder to be a Low End Provider. But LET and LEB have a bright future if they (1) remove negativity and toxicity so as to appeal to a wider audience, (2) add educational resources for people new to the Low End (thanks @Arkas), and (3) help new people utilize the now omnipresent and growing free cloud accounts from the big providers.

Forward! <3

arkas isnt posting educational content tho? dudes spamming YouTube videos

I like when he post free udemy courses, I have learned a lot of stuff from that.

While that was still kind of copy pasting , it was something good as dude shared things that was not easily as available for a lot of people, but it was all in one thread, if he did same with youtube, ie, 1 megathread to post interesting content, it wouldve been great, but he didnt, also he is a dick all around, and deleted my post for spamming, even though all i did was share youtube videos (same as him), if anyone knows about some other place providers post good offers, please pm it to me, after the 200$ fees offers have dried up and mod powertrip has made this forum lame

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited September 2022

@emg said: Stop the "You're an idiot!" comments, but allow "That's an idiotic idea that will never work!".

That's called "passive aggressive" and to be honest it is way worse than direct approach. Passive aggressiveness promotes toxicity even more.

• @corbpie said:
    Good moderation is when you don’t notice it

This sums it up - moderators should be seen as other members of the community, not threatening users with bans if they get hurt over a comment and being seen as a police force.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2022

@corbpie said:
    Good moderation is when you don’t notice it

Sounds good, really - but is wrong.
    Simple reason: unless it's tangible and clear that moderators are in place and active a (increasingly large) group of people take that as an invitation to maraud a forum.

So I'd rather say that a good moderator is like a cop with a .45 and plenty training and experience who can shoot and does so when required but who generally is a peaceful, friendly person who prefers helping people over shooting.

Btw, there is one golden rule, which often seems to be largely ignored: never attack other users. Not directly, not indirectly, not openly and not veiled. Observing and enforcing that rule makes or breaks a community.
    And the sister of that rule is this: if and when criticizing other users statements always and without exception provide solid evidence.

Thanked by 2Arkas Not_Oles
  • edited September 2022

@emg said:
    If I were to suggest one thing for moderators to change here at LowEndTalk, I would eliminate the personal attacks. Just stop them. Delete posts that attack the person.

This ^
    The personal attacks have gotten out-of-hand and should be stopped cold.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2022

I will make LET great again! Vote for me. I promise to unban cociu and hostdoc if you vote me for a moderator. I will also get @SCAM_DONT_BUY to help me with the reviews. Sisters guaranteed for everyone.

• @Offshore_Solutions any specific reason why you'd changed your message?

• henixhenix Member
    edited September 2022

How am i ridiculing someone if i do the same tutorials?

Don't worry my fellow content enjoyers, this won't hinder the quality of my tutorials.

• @henix said:

Don't worry my fellow content enjoyers, this won't hinder the quality of my tutorials.

wtf

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@henix said:

unfair moderation.

• ralfralf Member
    edited September 2022

I think the biggest problem is there is a significant number of people who seem intent on trying to goad the moderators into moderating, then start calling them names and provoke them into taking things further and then start insulting them when they eventually ban someone.

It's usually the same people who start making random accusations about mods in other topics when it's not even relevant or some who seem determined to do the forum equivalent of death-by-cop.

IMHO there's not enough bans here, and because shit-talking and insults are tolerated too much it becomes normalised, and people then seem to feel like it's an us-vs-them personal attack when it goes too far and a moderator steps in.

Thanked by 4Arkas jsg emg Not_Oles
  • The saga continues. I wonder where i was disrespectful.
    Third warning incoming?

• @ralf said:
    I think the biggest problem is there is a significant number of people who seem intent on trying to goad the moderators into moderating, then start calling them names and provoke them into taking things further and then start insulting them when they eventually ban someone.

It's usually the same people who start making random accusations about mods in other topics when it's not even relevant or some who seem determined to do the forum equivalent of death-by-cop.

IMHO there's not enough bans here, and because shit-talking and insults are tolerated too much it becomes normalised, and people then seem to feel like it's an us-vs-them personal attack when it goes too far and a moderator steps in.

Yes! ban everyone. Problem solved.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • @henix said:
    The saga continues. I wonder where i was disrespectful.
    Third warning incoming?

Damn, "wonder" who'd banned him..
    What a shit show

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited September 2022

EDIT:

• @FatGrizzly said:

@henix said:

unfair moderation.

totalitarian (nazi/fascist) moderation

• ups . just unfair moderation .... sorry

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • At the risk of getting one myself, this all seems to have become a little ... heavy handed.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

The temperature is definitely high in this thread.

No one here is a nazi, so let's leave those sorts of remarks out of things. They don't help.

LowEndTalk moderators have long been goaded by certain users into acting, then ridiculed when they act. It's a tough balance.

Let me be very clear, any user is welcome to voice any opinion, positive or negative, about moderators or administrators along with the direction of LowEndTalk so long as it's done respectfully and without insult.

Remember, moderators are humans too.

I'll also be reminding the moderators that nothing here is personal and when it's allowed to be taken personally it doesn't help anyone or anything. Period.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Moderation is not great, and there are very questionable mods. But there is a considerable amount of people just trying to provoke a reaction from mods all the time.

I have been here for a long time, have always said what I wanted to say, have been critic with inexcusable actions from top staff, yet I have never gotten a warning or anything. I agree this has not been the case with a selected few high profile members which have been almost "invited to leave" over the years, but for the average user, mods could not care less about you.

In this forum, like in our day to day lives, not acting like an antisocial asshole goes a long way.

Thanked by 2Arkas Not_Oles
  • @jbiloh where has @henix actually been disrespectful and/or insulted someone?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I wrote my message before reading @jbiloh's, I promise.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Pilzbaum said: @jbiloh where has @henix actually been disrespectful and/or insulted someone?

The offending posts have been removed. He knows exactly what he did wrong, as you do. There are so many others in this thread that totally disagree with mods in general, and perhaps me in particular. Funny thing, they haven't received a warning or even a DM about their posts. Why is that do you think?
    I really hope you spent some time thinking about it, and if there is something you want me to think about, I'm all ears.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @TimboJones said:

@inland said:

@TimboJones said:

@emg said:
    LowEndTalk is not a welcoming place for many who would benefit from its members' knowledge and experience. The culture here is unlike any workplace or internet forum I have ever known, and not in a good way. (I am not that naive. There are many worse places and communities on the internet.) I am surprised that there are any women members on LowEndTalk, due to the male-dominant culture here.

It was soooo much worse when I first joined. It was 98% using "PMS" and calling bad male behaviour posters as "she". It was an incel hangout.

There was only two confirmed females on LET for years.

So... you're just gonna call every male discussing tech on a tech forum an "incel" now? Are you okay with that?

Was that supposed to be an example of me calling "every" male an incel or something? (Have a look at my post count) If your argument is that I'm wrong, posting multiple instances isn't helping your point, you'd have to post examples where they weren't incels.

No, but I will question your reading comprehension when my post was to say it was so much worse, in that I used to call WAY more people incels here a few years ago than now.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you feel the need to use this term at all on this forum. Apart from you, tinyweasel, and dahartigan, there are exactly zero other people who used this term in recent history.

Your post count is inflated because you're an extremely profound doubleposter. I don't know if that's intentional or just some boomer antic, but you shall be informed there is an "edit" button available for some time after you add the post.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited September 2022

@Arkas said:
    The offending posts have been removed.

Well, not really transparent in my opinion, is it?
    And no, I do certainly not know, and any other that rereads this thread neither. The thing is, maybe I don't see threads / posts as offending as you do. And then I'd like to know, how offended are you as a moderator compared to other moderators? To me it appears that it's much more, although this is from a personal perspective. However, the majority is not happy with the moderation currently, that's a fact.

@Arkas said:
    and if there is something you want me to think about, I'm all ears.

Really? Well I was told otherwise (look up in the SSH thread if you're unsure)

@Arkas said:
    I don't need advice from you.

Thanked by 2TimboJones martheen
  • @Arkas said:

@Pilzbaum said: @jbiloh where has @henix actually been disrespectful and/or insulted someone?

The offending posts have been removed. ...

i am really sorry for this ...

• @Pilzbaum said:

@Arkas said:
    The offending posts have been removed.

Well, not really transparent in my opinion, is it?
    And no, I do certainly not know, and any other that rereads this thread neither.

This is the slight problem with the invisibility of moderation here; I saw him post some YouTube video threads, and I saw a few 'thanks' comments. I didn't watch the videos (because I have no interest in video tutorials), so either

(a) you thought he was just being snarky by doing what you'd been doing, or

(b) they were actually links to rick-rolling hentai and he was walking into a well deserved ban hammer.

The trouble with bans for a menacing "you know what you did" just creates uncertainty and sure as hell doesn't discourage anyone else from doing something bad because they don't even know what bad was done.

Unless FUD is what you're going for, I guess.

• @inland said: I guess I'm just confused

I'm confused too. What happened to DeployBot?