Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET is slowing down? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET is slowing down?

13»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ahnlak said: I get that LET is a business and it has to pay it's way, but operating a 'pay to play' in a space that's supposed to be ultra cheap box slinging seems to be against the spirit of it all. It's a shame a middle ground wasn't found.

What sort of middle group would you propose?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2022

@rcy026 said:
    So quantity increases while quality decreases.

Yea, he basically cut the Providers by 50%, since the fee was introduced.
    We had over 200 Accounts with a Provider tag, now we have a bit over 100, these where active used accounts.

However, the offers posted actually went up, in quantity, but as it turns out, roughly 35% of the offers posted now, come from the same Providers, as of this month.

Before it was usually 0-8, average 5 ish, depending on the month, so we had kinda a lot of different offers.
    Copy & Paste also went up.

80 ish offers this month, 6 of which were 100% copy pasted.
    71, which 28 came from the same Providers.

46 offers, still higher than before, no idea about the quality though.

• Earlier discussions are street style and newer udpates are more corporate agenda than they should be.

• @rcy026 said:
    I think this thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with LET.
    It started with a serious question and an attempt to start a discussion, and on page two it has already deteriorated into pissing memes.

It was worth it for the firehose piss gif.

Thanked by 1equalz

@Neoon said:

@rcy026 said:
    So quantity increases while quality decreases.

Yea, he basically cut the Providers by 50%, since the fee was introduced.
    We had over 200 Accounts with a Provider tag, now we have a bit over 100, these where active used accounts.

However, the offers posted actually went up, in quantity, but as it turns out, roughly 35% of the offers posted now, come from the same Providers, as of this month.

Before it was usually 0-8, average 5 ish, depending on the month, so we had kinda a lot of different offers.
    Copy & Paste also went up.

80 ish offers this month, 6 of which were 100% copy pasted.
    71, which 28 came from the same Providers.

46 offers, still higher than before, no idea about the quality though.

correction: 66% ish, not 50%.

edited September 2022

@rcy026 said:
    It started with a serious question and an attempt to start a discussion, and on page two it has already deteriorated into pissing memes.

Did you ever code? Out of the sudden, you get an idea.
    Even if you currently taking a piss.

I mean we replied seriously, TLDR: LET is fucked.
    The decision to charge a fee, cut out a lot of providers.

Some numbers are going up yes, but I want deals, good deals not just some jackshit high numbers.
    This Black Friday is going to be the worst, we ever had, mark my words.

LET is WHT 2.0 soon.

Thanked by 3default zed suyadi92

@Neoon said:

@rcy026 said:

Some numbers are going up yes, but I want deals, good deals not just some jackshit high numbers.

LET is WHT 2.0 soon.

In what way have the deals changed, in your mind from "good" to "jackshit high numbers"

What makes you think Black Friday is going to be the worst we've ever had? Jeez.

@jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@rcy026 said:

LET is WHT 2.0 soon.

In what way have the deals changed, in your mind from "good" to "jackshit high numbers"

What makes you think Black Friday is going to be the worst we've ever had? Jeez.

Yes, for you it may look good, number wise, yes we got more offers and such.
    However you just cut the existing providers easily by 60%, which you can see by who is posting the offers now, 35% come from the same Providers/Accounts, its likely going to rise, 50% maybe?

Instead of having many different offers, we now have a lot of repeated stuff.
    Boring for us, looking for a good deal.

Not to mention the Providers that 100% copy and paste.
    That is just crap in my view.

Speaking about Black Friday, we always have good deals, in my view less in comparison from the last years but this is just subjective.

Given you purged 60% ish precent of the Providers, this will also likely haven an affect on this BF, even if you let them post in the BF thread, without paid provider tag.

Hopefully its not just dustinc pushing his Racknerd stuff, which he apparently did quite successful checking the stats.

Will see, I won't expect much.

• @jbiloh said:

@ahnlak said: I get that LET is a business and it has to pay it's way, but operating a 'pay to play' in a space that's supposed to be ultra cheap box slinging seems to be against the spirit of it all. It's a shame a middle ground wasn't found.

What sort of middle group would you propose?

Something that doesn't price small players out of the market, and that doesn't encourage people paying the Biloh Tax to copypasta the same offers every week because they've paid for posting privileges and dammit they're gonna get their money's worth. Otherwise you might as well just rebrand yourself as WHT2.

Hell, I don't know, tiered pricing based on provider size (with a free tier for tiny providers). Sliding scale for repeated offers. If you're desperate to grow provider revenue, sell them a short term sticky on their latest offer (which might reduce the endless bribing of people to post on sales threads to keep them topped).

Part of the joy of this place was that you knew the $5/year deal would probably deadpool by November but it was low end enough to be worth a punt. By going more 'corporate' (for want of a better word) you're just building a budget WHT - which is fine if that's what you're going for, but it's a shame you have to sacrifice the LE community to get there.

• @jbiloh

TLDR: introduce one-time fee (19.99 american dollars) for single offer post. From any member.

Practice shows, that scammers/spammers deteriorate as soon as minimal fee of 1 dollar is in the way.

Leave that patron crap, but give a chance to the true lowenders/maybe deadpoolers to offer services. It will bring more users, more clicks and for the most important - more drama.

If you commercialize this forum so hard, you will turn it into WHT style junkyard, where all and every discussion ends up in sales pitch BS.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Well I just haven't had much to say per say lol

• @risharde said:
    Well I just haven't had much to say per say lol

Money talks!

Thanked by 1risharde
  • LowEndBox traffic is up nicely too. So we see seeing some positive signs that suggest our elevated investments are paying off.

I don't see much activites anymore on that site, it looks like a dead site to me tbh. But i don't know, you're busy proving it isn't. What can i do?

@suyadi92 said:

LowEndBox traffic is up nicely too. So we see seeing some positive signs that suggest our elevated investments are paying off.

I don't see much activites anymore on that site, it looks like a dead site to me tbh. But i don't know, you're busy proving it isn't. What can i do?

You don't see much activity on LowEndBox? Have you checked it recently?

It's more active than it has ever been before in terms of content.

Thanked by 3suyadi92 Not_Oles Arkas

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

LowEndBox traffic is up nicely too. So we see seeing some positive signs that suggest our elevated investments are paying off.

I was actually surprised on the first look, however, the same content is posted twice? why?

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

I was actually surprised on the first look, however, the same content is posted twice? why?

The way LowEndBox 2.0 is designed is to allow content to live longer on the home page.

So, from the top, there are a number of sections:

"Latest Posts" -- includes content from all categories
    "Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

In the prior design once content would leave the home page it would often times get lost inside the site, never to be found again. The new design mostly solves that problem.

I think what you are describing is a case where a tutorial published today, for example, would appear under the top section of "Latest Posts" and then again further down the site under the dedicated "Tutorials" section.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • emghemgh Member
    edited October 2022

@jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

The way LowEndBox 2.0 is designed is to allow content to live longer on the home page.

"Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

In the prior design once content would leave the home page it would often times get lost inside the site, never to be found again. The new design mostly solves that problem.

I think what you are describing is a case where a tutorial published today, for example, would appear under the top section of "Latest Posts" and then again further down the site under the dedicated "Tutorials" section.

Would you agree that the following picture used on one of the latest LEB posts is a bit ironic considering this thread and it’s content?

Thanked by 1BingoBongo
  • @emgh said:

@jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

"Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

Would you agree that the following picture used on one of the latest LEB posts is a bit ironic considering this thread and it’s content?

Want to be banned? :tongue:

• @jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

"Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

I get notifications on my phone from LET and LEB and twitter account. Every day I get something. This didn't happen before. So, for me it's clear more content, a strategy.

I know most of you will gonna hate me, but I consider this community is still doing great, considering the forums are going down everywhere, because are not so popular anymore, being on social media frame time.

About the money (tax), yes, maybe some of you are "bleeding", but most of the free things come to an end. Money are necessary to provide a better quality, most of the times. And this should be a known fact.

So, maybe it's a time when must be taken as it is and Build Back Better to quote the politicians. Do something practically, write useful threads, make tutorials, bring in deals and news, install software for free, offer free services (i don't think you will get taxed for offering free services - read giveaways section). Just accusing and blaming means dust in the wind. Stop crying and go to work / do something useful.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles suyadi92

@emgh said:

@jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

"Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

I don't see the parallel between multiple price increases this year and many more over the last five years at cPanel and LowEndBox / LowEndTalk.

LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are free services for the benefits of all readers and users. Our content is not behind a pay wall like has become so popular. We also do not sell user data, which is very common these days and, from what I understand, profitable.

Hosting companies can submit their offers totally free to LowEndBox. When they get published it's totally free.

Sure, we do ask for a modest fee in exchange for allowing for-profit companies to advertise on LowEndTalk. Is the fee too low? Is it too high? That's a debate, but any premise that starts with the expectation that commercial entities (ie: hosting companies) shouldn't have to kick in a couple nickels to support the platform they handsomely profit from is confusing to me.

• @jbiloh said:

@emgh said:

@jbiloh said:

@Neoon said:

@jbiloh said:

@suyadi92 said:

"Hosting Offers"
    "News and Editorials"
    "Tutorials"
    "Interviews"
    "LowEndBox TV"

I don't see the parallel between multiple price increases this year and many more over the last five years at cPanel and LowEndBox / LowEndTalk.

LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are free services for the benefits of all readers and users. Our content is not behind a pay wall like has become so popular. We also do not sell user data, which is very common these days and, from what I understand, profitable.

Hosting companies can submit their offers totally free to LowEndBox. When they get published it's totally free.

Sure, we do ask for a modest fee in exchange for allowing for-profit companies to advertise on LowEndTalk. Is the fee too low? Is it too high? That's a debate, but any premise that starts with the expectation that commercial entities (ie: hosting companies) shouldn't have to kick in a couple nickels to support the platform they handsomely profit from is confusing to me.

I was just being annoying, and though the pararell between that image and the discussion here was funny, no matter if the points here are right or wrong.

Honestly, I wouldn’t operate a forum like this for free, but I dont’t think I would have for money either.

If it’s not a lot, of course.

@emgh said: Honestly, I wouldn’t operate a forum like this for free, but I dont’t think I would have for money either.

Indeed it takes $$$.

• @jbiloh said:

@emgh said: Honestly, I wouldn’t operate a forum like this for free, but I dont’t think I would have for money either.

Indeed it takes $$$.

In dollars is takes much, but in brain deprication probably more.

I can’t imagine a full-time job followed by moderating people basically going here simply for drama.

I wouldn’t have the energy.

So I support those who do.

@emgh said:

@jbiloh said:

Indeed it takes $$$.

In dollars is takes much, but in brain deprication probably more.

I can’t imagine a full-time job followed by moderating people basically going here simply for drama.

I wouldn’t have the energy.

So I support those who do.

Thanks for recognizing the effort. I appreciate that.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emgemg Veteran

I haven't been to LowEndBox in a few weeks, so I took a look and found this article describing LowEndTalk and inviting others to join up with us here:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/have-you-ever-visited-the-webs-busiest-hosting-forum-lowendtalk-awaits/

Speaking for myself, the idealistic and very rosy picture painted by Jon doesn't quite match my perspective of LowEndTalk. It is a nice and friendly invitation, but it is misleading because it omits the many negative aspects of the LowEndTalk website. LowEndTalk can be an intimidating and unpleasant place, particularly for new members.

In my opinion, LowEndTalk has multiple overlapping communities that are incompatible and often talk past each other. Each community has a different perspective on what LowEndTalk is and what it should be.

I came here looking to exchange knowledge and experience centered around the technical aspects of VPSs. Some members are strictly buyers in a hosting marketplace. Others are much more focused on a provider's perspective: What will help them reach the widest customer base to sell their VPSs and other hosting products? Yet others have their own reasons for being here.

LowEndTalk is far from ideal for my interests and needs. The general lack of mutual respect and civility here is appalling. Some members have expressed opinions here that I find equally appalling; many of those opinions are unrelated to the mission of this website, which is centered around LowEnd servers and services. The male-dominant, smash-mouth culture here effectively discourages many people from joining or staying.

In my opinion, LowEndTalk must lose some of those communities in order to become a stable and sustainable place on the internet. In doing so, it will lose some of the members behind those communities. I do not yet know which communities and corresponding "members" will dominate the site and which ones will vanish. I do not know whether the evolving site will ultimately include me. I hope so. I keep sticking it out, staying active, trying to help others and help the site "grow up." Sometimes it feels hopeless.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@emg said: I haven't been to LowEndBox in a few weeks, so I took a look and found this article describing LowEndTalk and inviting others to join up with us here:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/have-you-ever-visited-the-webs-busiest-hosting-forum-lowendtalk-awaits/

Glad to know someone reads LowEndBox! :-) :-)

@emg said: Speaking for myself, the idealistic and very rosy picture painted by Jon doesn't quite match my perspective of LowEndTalk. It is a nice and friendly invitation, but it is misleading because it omits the many negative aspects of the LowEndTalk website. LowEndTalk can be an intimidating and unpleasant place, particularly for new members.

I'll be posting shortly in the "LET moderation" thread on some steps moving forward.

@emg said: I came here looking to exchange knowledge and experience centered around the technical aspects of VPSs. Some members are strictly buyers in a hosting marketplace. Others are much more focused on a provider's perspective: What will help them reach the widest customer base to sell their VPSs and other hosting products? Yet others have their own reasons for being here.

I am glad you are here and I hope you stick around!

@jbiloh said: I'll be posting shortly in the "LET moderation" thread on some steps moving forward.

Just posted the remarks: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3488425/#Comment_3488425

• emgemg Veteran
    edited October 2022

@jbiloh said: I am glad you are here and I hope you stick around!

Thank you.

I hope I have made it clear that what I want is a friendly technical community. In my imaginary technical interchange version of a future happy LowEndTalk, I would eliminate the vulgar, hostile, disrespectful, and irrelevant posts that I see here. It would change the entire tone and tenor of the place. It might drive away many long time members, those unwilling or unable to restrain themselves in a new, very different environment. A boring place, perhaps.

I have belonged to a few internet communities. They have been warm, inviting places, where many of the posts we see on LowEndTalk would not be tolerated. I would change LowEndTalk to fit that style. Others here clearly want something else for LowEndTalk. I understand what they want and where they are coming from and respectfully disagree.

What we have is a limbo where several disparate groups have reached a kind of ascendence without dominance. LowEndTalk is in constant fibrillation, but there is no consensus on the end objective or a good fix. Any of the possible fixes will take it in a direction that will leave a significant number of members unhappy and ready to leave.

What I want for this community may not match what Jon and others want, but here it is, set out on the table for all to see.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Honestly if this place wasn’t madness sometimes I wouldn’t wanna be here.

If the point in LET is sitrictly just finding good VPS deals it could be replaced with ServerHunter.

If the point is knowledge, it could be replaced by thousands of websites.

• Really, a traditional ”forum” is simply uneffective. It’s just not the best solution for anything strictly productive.

It’s good for banter, though.