Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your favorite Linux Distro? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your favorite Linux Distro?

13»

Comments

• Debian 11 all the way. Stable with less resource usage.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Has anyone tried Garuda? Is it more stable than a typical Arch install?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

debian forever <3

• Archlinux for my servers, the only con is I have to snapshot live system and test on dev server before pushing update to live.

• @Arkas said:
    Has anyone tried Garuda? Is it more stable than a typical Arch install?

It is not that different from arch TBH, garuda does apply their own custom config for desktop environment, but it is still using arch repo at the end of the day. Better to just use arch direct, since archinstall is now good enough.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Ahfaiahkid said: It is not that different from arch TBH

Thanks for your reply. I have a friend who says it's the ultimate gaming OS. I don't really play any demanding games, but I do video rendering a lot, so I wanted to see If there was a real difference.

• Hmm nobody uses elementary os? The Pantheon environment is awsome...

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@hostfactor said: Hmm nobody uses elementary os? The Pantheon environment is awsome...

Looks like they fully copied MacOS.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited September 2022

@Arkas said:

@Ahfaiahkid said: It is not that different from arch TBH

Thanks for your reply. I have a friend who says it's the ultimate gaming OS. I don't really play any demanding games, but I do video rendering a lot, so I wanted to see If there was a real difference.

Yeah, it does use the Zen kernel, auto install graphics driver and preinstalls some programs by default that help with Linux gaming, but in the Linux world, everything that is available for origin OS should be available for the derivative OS as I believe garuda is still using arch repo, arch is a bit special cause of the arch user repository where you can easily find software.

But yeah if you find garuda nice to use by all means use it, as you do video rendering using arch based OS is great as the AUR contains so much useful stuff for you to find and use. Just don't use Manjaro OS as they delay updates and that can cause system to not be stable.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • I am surprised by the amount of people running Debian on their desktops. I use it on most headless servers but will have to check it out with XFCE.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Halo11 said: I use it on most headless servers but will have to check it out with XFCE.

It's looks great with XFCE, but do try KDE as well!

• @hostfactor said:
    Hmm nobody uses elementary os? The Pantheon environment is awsome...

I did try it just a little while back. I mean, if you like MacOS you'll like it but it seemed so dumbed down for a linux distro I changed in a few days.

• Debian, thanks.

• EndeavourOS (Arch) with XFCE on the desktop - nice installer with some helpful binary versions of AUR packages in their repo. Easy to build a hardened custom kernel.

Ubuntu on servers for LXD / unattended-upgrades / livepatch

• My unpopular opinion: picking ‘favorite’ Linux distro’s is a bit gross as long as it doesn’t get technical. It’s about what you expect from the distro. Basically it’s just X vs. Y-ing some distro’s, without any material to compare to. It’s just a tool, so pick what you need.

Running Debian on some servers, Ubuntu on others and Fedora too, just to name some. As long there is no technical parameter towards the question, I won’t really be able to choose a ‘clear winner’. Doing preferences like that would be a waste of time in my opinion. They’re not sportsteams.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, just saying it’s impossible to answer this question.