Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com

Comments

• and this one what my system recorded.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said:
    and this one what my system recorded.

... Who's gonna tell him?

You should have actual bandwidth monitoring, not VestaCP or HestiaCP's "monitoring" system. Also remember we just rolled over to a new month, that 1.49 GB might be from the few hours into this month, who knows.

Also, the plots you just showed earlier might not be truly representative. They're too coarse of a resolution that I don't think it's going to be very useful (or maybe it doesn't catch the instantaneous network overage). Basically what I'm saying is that the data collection methods of SolusVM probably isn't the best to share opinion on this specific problem.

Use SNMP or vnstat or collectd or something else on the actual node to monitor it and collect this kind of data.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited September 2022

@r6gear said:
    ok guys i got a update from hostsailor. they unsuspend it like that. to verify my vps, and i did, and what a suprize, i don't find nothing bad in my system. nothing. i opend Control SolusVm and i got the monitor updates, take a look and you.

I want to say thank you hostsailor for "fixing" the problem without reinstalling or doing something plus. if i found anything bad on my server i will raport that it's my side. for now i see i'm clean on vps.

Like just to note a bit further.

I see a spike in load. I see an increase in network usage before the plots cut off.

This suggests that maybe your VPS was compromised and was used in a network-based attack.

Specifically this figure. It seems like your VPS completed it's attack, just sat there, and then once HostSailor was notified they shut it down (meaning HostSailor doesn't have automatic solutions for these things).

Are you sure your VPS is clean? Right now the proof suggests HostSailor is right.

Edit:

I didn't realize that another figure was for only like 3 days.

Yeah this seems like there were a few "bursts" of network utilization. Unless your website got popular pretty quickly or something definitely has happened and if you haven't touched it or done anything really then it seems like your server was compromised.

Also it seems like you're running a KiwiIRC client on your server? Not saying KiwiIRC is bad but depending on how it's used, it could be a target for DDoS. But that's the other-way/direction so... eh... Regardless, the more I look at this the more it feels like this was your mistake.

Edit: It seems I did misinterpret the direction the traffic was going and it's inbound traffic. So part of my statement is incorrect.

• all the trafiic it's from outside. not from my vps.

• @r6gear said:
    all the trafiic it's from outside. not from my vps.

Is the agreement for 256 GB only outbound or outbound and inbound combined?

• HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider

we are happy that we were able to fix your issue, If any other problem arises, please feel free to contact us at any time.

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited September 2022

last update, i did't find anything on server malicios.
    @HalfEatenPie yes i do have a irc relay chat. and maybe a ddos atack has been made. but @HostSailor says that they can protect my vps with 20Gbps antiddos. so i din't ask, if i get a ddos, it will be counted on theyr firewall and counter in my traffic? or 250 gb clean traffic. as they say was a atack.
    i still monitoring the vps, i instaled NetData on.

@HostSailor Thanks for the unsuspend and verify what happend.

@HalfEatenPie said: Regardless, the more I look at this the more it feels like this was your mistake.

why, becouse i own a irc chat? and people can atack my server? don't say it. any bussiness can be under ddos atack, or layer 7 flood. or other type of atack. i do use CF and rulles, on my server you can't connect more than 2 connexions per IP sim.. nginx it;s limiting at 100 KB/sec for my website i don't need more. and this it's a test server, somehow they got my ip. my public ip irc.adress....i get message every day from hosting company that i got ddos attack on IP...

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • Are you from romania?
    Nice website tho'
    "vedeta[dot]eu"

• @henix said:
    Are you from romania?
    Nice website tho'
    "vedeta[dot]eu"

that's a test website, i own cuplu[dot]eu and cuplu[dot]chat (i don't know if i'am alowed to type my website.)
    yes from Romania thanks.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said:
    last update, i did't find anything on server malicios.

This figures doesn't say much because it's not a whole lot of bandwidth usage.

@HalfEatenPie yes i do have a irc relay chat. and maybe a ddos atack has been made. but @HostSailor says that they can protect my vps with 20Gbps antiddos. so i din't ask, if i get a ddos, it will be counted on theyr firewall and counter in my traffic? or 250 gb clean traffic. as they say was a atack.

Well I don't use HostSailor so... That's good to know but also is that 250GB out only or in/out combined?

i still monitoring the vps, i instaled NetData on.

Ok so any information from NetData? I don't use NetData so I can't give you direct answers here chief.

@HalfEatenPie said: Regardless, the more I look at this the more it feels like this was your mistake.

why, becouse i own a irc chat? and people can atack my server? don't say it. any bussiness can be under ddos atack, or layer 7 flood. or other type of atack. i do use CF and rulles, on my server you can't connect more than 2 connexions per IP sim.. nginx it;s limiting at 100 KB/sec for my website i don't need more. and this it's a test server, somehow they got my ip. my public ip irc.adress....i get message every day from hosting company that i got ddos attack on IP...

So the reason I say this is because IRC chats usually associate with higher risk.

You do you bud. But you're not giving useful or good figures or explanations on your end.

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited September 2022

that's the point @HalfEatenPie , this vps barley makes maximum 10 gb trafic every month. i use it only when i want to test,compile,install something, and i give a try for week to see if it's working right. i have 70% of the vps on git. 30% tests

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited September 2022

@r6gear said:
    that's the point @HalfEatenPie , this vps barley makes maximum 10 gb trafic every month. i use it only when i want to test,compile,install something, and i give a try for week to see if it's working right. i have 70% of the vps on git. 30% tests

That figure you showed of recent after-suspension bandwidth usage is low and doesn't matter. What I'm saying is this figure:

Shows your topping higher than 40+ Mbps (assumed). Polling could be every 5 minutes or so (someone who uses SolusVM more than me please comment), but right here it shows a significant/major spike in bandwidth usage, even if it's going in instead of out. Not sure for how long those 40+ Mbps lasted though. Maybe this has resulted in the 500 GB of bandwidth usage or maybe it didn't (again, not sure how long the time-domain is for SolusVM monitoring).

Getting higher resolution information than SolusVM plots would be nice but hey, not my server.

Unless there's actual information that says that it wasn't you, all I can see is figures where the VM is using bandwidth.

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited September 2022

i asume that 4 bars it's 6 Hr, 6 x 4 =24, i sume that the traffic was 40 mbps x 60 sec x 60 min x 5 Hrs. = 72 gb traffic in my calculation.
    i calculate like 5 bars... 5 hrs

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

It's 40MB/s, peak ~375mbps.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • @jackb said:

bytes/sec :) not MB/sec

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited September 2022

@jackb said:
    @r6gear said:
    bytes/sec :) not MB/sec

Sorry, but no. As @jackb stated, it is 40 million Bytes per second ~= 40 MegaBytes per second.

The scale says "bytes/sec" but the numbers are "10 M", "20 M", etc. The "M" stands for million.

The "~375mbps" in Jack's post means "375 megabits per second". That's equivalent to 40 MegaBytes per second.

Thanked by 1jackb
  • miumiu Member
    edited October 2022

I was suffered from their very often node restart
    (practically every week)
    When you intend use luks part, then practically they are unusable for you, because you will find each week server waiting for disc unlocking
    I gave it up, useless hosting for me, sorry (despite to surprising fact that budget cheap KVM came also with 3 cores and was not oversold, NL network was too ok)

• miumiu Member

@henix said:
    Are you from romania?
    Nice website tho'
    "vedeta[dot]eu"

I do not understand language and content, but "design" and appearance is disaster (excuse me to be honest)

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited October 2022

I left them years a go

250MB bandwith is to little nowadays, even for idle thing

You can get service from other provider with massive bandwih / more ddos protection at cheap price

Eg: ethernetserver or ramnode ovz they offering 1GB for $12

Compare to hostsailor offer they are more cheaper ($ per GB)

Ddos protection is just marketing gimmick in my opinion, actually most of provider have it by default and didn't advertised it as this standard security for now

Thanked by 1miu
  • I have also "funny" experience with hostsailor :)

Some week or so ago they changed IP address on my VPS. I haven't received any notification, because it seems like gmail block their mailings. Anyway, my stuff was reconfigured and up.

Today when I woke up found my server down again. IP was replaced again with the new one. Oh and also new IPv6. Without notification or anything.
    I opened support ticket to ask what's going on just to get "we have migrated the server to another node and assigned a new IP address".
    No you morons, you didn't migrated server just to another node, but to another country (where I already have one hostsailor vps).
    And they don't even feel like this is worth to mention. What an amateurs...

Thanked by 1r6gear
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited November 2022

@Mumbly said:
    I have also "funny" experience with hostsailor :)

Some week or so ago they changed IP address on my VPS. I haven't received any notification, because it seems like gmail block their mailings. Anyway, my stuff was reconfigured and up.

Today when I woke up found my server down again. IP was replaced again with the new one. Oh and also new IPv6. Without notification or anything.
    I opened support ticket to ask what's going on just to get "we have migrated the server to another node and assigned a new IP address".
    No you morons, you didn't migrated server just to another node, but to another country (where I already have one hostsailor vps).
    And they don't even feel like this is worth to mention. What an amateurs...

#

Hi mate, yes i got new Ip and new location yeap :) verry serios. this it's theyr first message to notify me.

#

Sunday, November 6th, 2022 (20:35)

"
    Hello,

As part of the network restructuring, we have migrated the server to another node and assigned a new IP address. The details are provided below:".

################################################################Sunday, November 6th, 2022 (21:15)

My Answer below
    "Hi you changed the my IP without sending me a request to do so. or to send
    a notifications withint 48H to be ready for the change. and the locations
    of my vps it's not in Romania anymore, it's in Amsterdam, North Holland,
    Netherland. ok do it so, if you are so serious company. have a great day
    HostSailor. as i sayd, i always get for what i pay.""

#

and the final answer from them.
    Hello,

As it was an emergency change for restructuring a few IP blocks only, we have to do it in a hurry. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

###########################3

Anyway, i'm not using for anything serios on that vps, so i don't care.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said:

As it was an emergency change for restructuring a few IP blocks only, we have to do it in a hurry. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Mumbly said: No you morons, you didn't migrated server just to another node, but to another country

So... is this a yes - or a no - or ...?

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited November 2022

@brueggus, yes, your server isn't in Romania anymore and they can't even confirm it on your direct question? :)

@r6gear said: Hi mate, yes i got new Ip and new location yeap

That was the second IP change within last 10 days in my case. First time they at least sent notification (which didn't came through as their mail and gmail don't like each other, but anyway...)

This time they changed IP and moved VPS to another node which happens to be in completely different country without any acknowledgement.

I don't know what they were thinking? That clients won't find out that their servers aren't in the same country anymore? Seriously... what a morons :)

• @Mumbly said:
    @brueggus, yes, your server isn't in Romania anymore and they can't even confirm it on your direct question? :)

@r6gear said: Hi mate, yes i got new Ip and new location yeap

That was the second IP change within last 10 days in my case. First time they at least sent notification (which didn't came through as their mail and gmail don't like each other, but anyway...)

This time they changed IP and moved VPS to another node which happens to be in completely different country without any acknowledgement.

I don't know what they were thinking? That clients won't find out that their servers aren't in the same country anymore? Seriously... what a morons :)

They're sailors they can't be in the same location all the time or they'll go crazy.

• @let_rocks said: They're sailors they can't be in the same location all the time or they'll go crazy.

Obviously. It just seems like those sailors are drunk or something and they don't realize that they have moved to the other part of the continent instead of the next pub...

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Mumbly said:

@let_rocks said: They're sailors they can't be in the same location all the time or they'll go crazy.

Obviously. It just seems like those sailors are drunk or something and they don't realize that they have moved to the other part of the continent instead of the next pub...

Wait and watch until they migrate it to an entirely different continent

• @FatGrizzly said:

@Mumbly said:

@let_rocks said: They're sailors they can't be in the same location all the time or they'll go crazy.

Or involucrate :)

Thanked by 2FatGrizzly jwg29859
  • @FatGrizzly said:

And then

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited November 2022

@mrs92 said:

@FatGrizzly said:

And then?

PS.. the new location it's verry slow. i found that the small vps it's useless now. if i need something to compile i want 10 more time to do it, so they added all OpenVZ together and Overselling! so now the vps becoume useless. :)
    L.o.L! to the mooon!
    2 years ago i was in crypto for some time, and all the popole was like " to the moon" cuz of elon.

Thanked by 2mrs92 cupluchat