Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com

Comments

• @Hxxx said:
    Dude is 2022, move your stuff to a provider with unmetered bw.
    Unless you are paying like 2 dollars a year...

For a VPS 256GB bw is too low.

Maybe one of your backup routines went wild?

If you are a developer, maybe one of your JavaScript packages is compromised from a supply chain attack. It happen more than it should.

Don't trust templates. Remember what happened with solusvm debian template vulnerability with a default user?

sir, i know what i'm doing, my monthly bandwidth on that server was 5 10 gb maximum.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2022

@r6gear I never doubted your skill levels. I'm sure you know what you are doing.
    Pay the extra bandwidth, take backups, nuke the VM. Like you said, if you are busy, then is not worth your time.

Thanked by 3emgh Arkas bdl
  • @Hxxx said:
    @r6gear I never doubted your skill levels. I'm sure you know what you are doing.
    Pay the extra bandwidth, take backups, nuke the VM. Like you said, if you are busy, then is not worth your time.

i tried to add some bandwith, they said only for dedicated. so i'm out of luck. never mind

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said:

Contact them directly via support or billing.

It sounds like they originally expected the sudden increase in bandwidth usage as a compromised server. If you were using it to move data around, then it might be useful to have a chat with them directly.

• emgemg Veteran

It is either one of two things:

1. You exceeded the bandwidth limit and HostSailor reported it correctly.
    2. HostSailor's reporting is incorrect.

Assuming that HostSailor is correct and you exceeded the bandwidth limit, then the source is one of three things:

1. You made a mistake in how you estimated bandwidth utilization when you configured your server, and it is using excessive bandwidth. It may be misconfiguration or it may be more utilization than you expected.
    2. Your server was hacked. The hacked server is running unauthorized software (malware) that is using up your bandwidth.
    3. Something glitched and corrupted your configuration or data on the server. This is unlikely.

Your choices appear to be:
    1. Wait until your monthly bandwidth quota is restored for the next period. Try to troubleshoot the problem before the server exceeds its bandwidth again. I would leave it in a shutdown state, so when the new period starts, the server won't be using bandwidth until you are ready to start it up yourself.
    2. Reinstall the operating system and reconfigure the server again. Pay attention to security details. Watch bandwidth utilization so you can catch issues.
    3. Give up on this server. Move to a new provider, but if you don't change anything, you may encounter the same issue again.

In my experience, the more people swear that their systems and networks were not hacked, the more likely it is that they were.

Thanked by 2r6gear yoursunny
  • ralfralf Member

@emg said:
    In my experience, the more people swear that their systems and networks were not hacked, the more likely it is that they were.

Also, if you have any suspicion that your server might have been compromised, it's best not to try to track down everything the attackers might have changed and fix them, other than if you can afford to do this with the machine completely offline and you're just doing it for curiosity to learn after-the-fact what they did.

The best approach in any situation where you have possibly been compromised is back-up your data to a safe place, assuming that everything on that machine is compromised. So scp into the possibly compromised system to copy data, rather than scp'ing it from the that system. Then, on your safe machine, carefully check the data, because you don't know what was compromised. Re-install another machine from scratch, making sure it has all updates, and copy your cleaned-up data onto the new machine.

Also, bear in mind that if you are compromised, probably whatever vulnerability they used might still be possible on the new machine. Turn up all the logging, and ideally send those logs to somewhere that supports write-only logging (e.g. syslog to a remote machine) and look out for anything suspicious and be prepared to repeat the process again.

It's also useful to make sure your backups can be relied upon. I use borg backup because you can set it to append-only and old backups are never removed. So, even if your data has been modified, you can go back to older backups to see what's changed.

Thanked by 2r6gear Not_Oles
  • In my experience, the more people swear that their systems and networks were not hacked, the more likely it is that they were.

Agree with this

Thanked by 3r6gear emg vyas11
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2022

@permatahost said:

Agree with this

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Mostly because one time I had a dedicated server with a host and was sent a bill for bandwidth overage and a note saying that my server might have been hacked due to the amount of network usage.

I reviewed my own monitoring, logs, and information available and did not see the bandwidth usage on my own systems. We worked together to figure out what was going on but later it turned out they misconfigured a switch to be vulnerable to a reflection attack and that bandwidth usage was written-in to a base account that happened to be my port.

Yeah. Wasn't too jazzed but such mistakes can happen. Now this probably isn't the case here (nor does this happen as regularly) but just a note that it can sometimes also be the host. That's why you work together because your success is their success and their success is your success.

Thanked by 2r6gear Not_Oles
  • Surely you have something like vnstat installed or you've been using their API to monitor your traffic usage, right? That would maybe allow you to point to a recent increase in traffic and work out the source, or show that their measurements are incorrect.

This wouldn't be the first time hostsailor had a traffic quota bug; see https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3216955

Thanked by 1r6gear
  • LeviLevi Member

OP disapointed with hostsailor or hostsailor disapointed with OP?

• emghemgh Member

@LTniger said:
    OP disapointed with hostsailor or hostsailor disapointed with OP?

Or a hacker disappointed both.

• It's your fault, always when you choose a hosting product look for higher Bandwidth, it will give you assurance that this kind of issue will not happen and even if there is a bug or your servers is compromised you will notice before it gets to overage level unlike low Bandwidth that you can't even breath.

look for providers when you use your allocated Bandwidth they will reduce the speed.

Thanked by 1r6gear
  • @ralf said:
    How would re-installing the server help with the bandwidth use? (I mean apart from the obvious of making it near zero usage until you set it up again)

He can't find the app/reason for the bandwidth usage, implying it's been hacked from Support POV.

• @r6gear said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:
    to be clear. my system it's not compromised. i never got compromised in any of my system. if was, my other system was too. i use centos.

Using CentOS does not mean your OS can't get compromised.

What specifically helped you come to the conclusion it's not compromised?

As far as we know, only the following information has been validated:

1. Your VM was suspended due to bandwidth overage

500 gb bandwith in 2 days? but anyway? sorry if any other pepole get some storage vps from them, and they got over, they get suspended and they have to reinstall OS with data they have on the vps?

Keep in mind bandwidth is both in and out. So a compromised system that is forwarding traffic really only needs to see 250GB of data to have 500GB used.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2022

@mad_4u said:
    It's your fault, always when you choose a hosting product look for higher Bandwidth, it will give you assurance that this kind of issue will not happen and even if there is a bug or your servers is compromised you will notice before it gets to overage level unlike low Bandwidth that you can't even breath.

look for providers when you use your allocated Bandwidth they will reduce the speed.

He typically uses 10GB a month and he has 250GB bandwidth. So that's fucking helpful tip. It's unclear how one "will notice before it gets to overage level" by having 10X+ bandwidth allotment. Did you read previous posts?

The proper advice is to have bandwidth monitoring with notification thresholds. Full. Stop.

Thanked by 3r6gear Logano Mumbly
  • @TimboJones said:

@mad_4u said:
    It's your fault, always when you choose a hosting product look for higher Bandwidth, it will give you assurance that this kind of issue will not happen and even if there is a bug or your servers is compromised you will notice before it gets to overage level unlike low Bandwidth that you can't even breath.

He typically uses 10GB a month and he has 250GB bandwidth. So that's fucking helpful tip. It's unclear how one "will notice before it gets to overage level" by having 10X+ bandwidth allotment. Did you read previous posts?

The proper advice is to have bandwidth monitoring with notification thresholds. Full. Stop.

i think they did something wrong with my vps, and my data. and they now make like something it's wrong inside. :) these tests i do and others machines i have are clean, and are from git, so i'm 100% that the vps it's clean, i just cheked all my git and are clean. anyway still verry disappointed with the staff team from hostsailor. they are not cooperative. reinstaling my vps losing all my data it's not a solution. anyway you pay cheap, you get cheap, i get what you pay right? have a nice and a great day. Bye.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • emgemg Veteran

@r6gear said:
    i think they did something wrong with my vps, and my data. and they now make like something it's wrong inside. :) these tests i do and others machines i have are clean, and are from git, so i'm 100% that the vps it's clean, i just cheked all my git and are clean. anyway still verry disappointed with the staff team from hostsailor. they are not cooperative. reinstaling my vps losing all my data it's not a solution. anyway you pay cheap, you get cheap, i get what you pay right? have a nice and a great day. Bye.

I hope you come back to share with us what you learn.

By the way, what is the date when the VPS will come back online with a new monthly quota?

• I think it's safe to say.... The End has Set Sail

• @emg said:

@r6gear said:

I hope you come back to share with us what you learn.

By the way, what is the date when the VPS will come back online with a new monthly quota?

normaly at 27th. but... the answer from ther side it's

"Hello,

As the server has been suspended today, the bandwidth will get reset on next month's 29th, by the time the server will be unsuspended.

Regards,"

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@r6gear said:
    "Hello,

As the server has been suspended today, the bandwidth will get reset on next month's 29th, by the time the server will be unsuspended.

Regards,"

So in 2 days the bandwidth utilisation was exceeded for the whole month?

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@jackb said:

@r6gear said:
    "Hello,

Regards,"

So in 2 days the bandwidth utilisation was exceeded for the whole month?

i don't think so, thers a problem on that node, it's not the first time they have problems, i reqested 10 times to update the time on server because was forward 1 minute sometimes 2 minutes, and the time it's a big problem, they never solve that. they moved my vps to other node, and now this problem happend... and other problems but they fixed....
    i have a VPS at OVH 2 years now, never had a problem, and it's one of my "good"servers that servs my website.

if someone thinking that in OpenVZ you can update the time by yourself good look! :pensive:

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • I left openvz shit years ago when the firewall kept breaking due to kernel module permission crap. KVM is worth the extra $$$.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited September 2022

@TimboJones said:
    I left openvz shit years ago when the firewall kept breaking due to kernel module permission crap. KVM is worth the extra $$$.

Yeah, i left yesterday forever OpenVZ when they suspended my vps. :)

today i got a meesege from them sayng
    "Hi,

I saw your post over lowendtalk. Do you want to purchase additional bandwidth and check what is going on inside your VPS? We offer additional bandwidth for VPS but you need to contact billing department not like with dedicated server that is automated.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,"

but my answer was

To late now! I just bought a vps limitless with 3 dollar a year. For this project I need it's OK and it's kvm, do what ever you want with this openvz vps. Have a great day.

so yeah i think they can do what ever they want with that vps.

limitless they made a boom these days with 3 dollar KVM a year , lol 512 mb ram!
    yesterday i bought and and moved altmos the same data was on hostsailor, and it's working verry good.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said: limitless they made a boom these days

Don't count on it.
    Who's willing to explain him? :)

• @Mumbly said:

@r6gear said: limitless they made a boom these days

Don't count on it.
    Who's willing to explain him? :)

i don't. as i sayd, i get what u pay for, but for what i need it's ok, i need to run projects for at least one week after build. it's under CF even this none, and instaled netdata on there and if something go wrong i will have some data. See ya guys. i will came back if any news from hostsailor.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@r6gear said:
    as i sayd, i have a project that i din't finish and i don't want to lose them.

So, you didn't do backups frequently enough.

I hope you learned the lesson by now. Always have backups!

@HostSailor

I know, it's a bit cumbersome, but maybe you can offer @r6gear to keep (untouched) and provide his current drive as a secondary drive for a day or so. That would give him a chance to get his data back by copying them to his "new" (freshly installed) VPS.

For you that would cost next to nothing; just an extra disk image for a day or so and max. 2 minutes work, but for him it would be valuable to not loose his work/data.

And you could demonstrate that you are a nice and friendly provider.

(side note: I'm a customer of yours too and more or less happy; if only the VPS would reboot less frequently ...)

Thanked by 1r6gear
  • @jsg said:

@r6gear said:
    as i sayd, i have a project that i din't finish and i don't want to lose them.

So, you didn't do backups frequently enough.

I hope you learned the lesson by now. Always have backups!

@HostSailor

I know, it's a bit cumbersome, but maybe you can offer @r6gear to keep (untouched) and provide his current drive as a secondary drive for a day or so. That would give him a chance to get his data back by copying them to his "new" (freshly installed) VPS.

For you that would cost next to nothing; just an extra disk image for a day or so and max. 2 minutes work, but for him it would be valuable to not loose his work/data.

And you could demonstrate that you are a nice and friendly provider.

(side note: I'm a customer of yours too and more or less happy; if only the VPS would reboot less frequently ...)

the funny part it's i did take back-ups every so, but i got in some work and i din't go for back-up for some time, and this happend, and i got verry piseed off somehow

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@r6gear said:
    the funny part it's i did take back-ups every so, but i got in some work and i din't go for back-up for some time, and this happend, and i got verry piseed off somehow

The solution is automated (probably differential) backup. One reason among others: There's always something interrupting and/or distracting from one's work.

• ok guys i got a update from hostsailor. they unsuspend it like that. to verify my vps, and i did, and what a suprize, i don't find nothing bad in my system. nothing. i opend Control SolusVm and i got the monitor updates, take a look and you.

I want to say thank you hostsailor for "fixing" the problem without reinstalling or doing something plus. if i found anything bad on my server i will raport that it's my side. for now i see i'm clean on vps.

Thanked by 1cupluchat