Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am very disappointed with hostsailor.com

I have the vps for 1 year on the 29th august I receive a message from hostsailor.com that the internet bandwidth has reached its limit,but on the 27th my vps always renews and i din't never do so much bandwith ever! 10 gb month, they told it;s not about the money you pay, it,s the client. to do theyr best for the client.
this it;'s theyr messege

first one "Hello,

Your server got suspended due to bandwidth overusage. Please purchase additional bandwidth or wait for monthly due date.

Regards,"
but i asked what happend how it's that posibile?
they answer again

"You can purchase bandwidth and install any bandwidth monitoring to monitor it in real time. You can reinstall to make sure there are no unwanted programs running"

OMG second time to buy, to buy, to be honest i tierd to buy , and the page retuned me"only for dedicated" ok i asked again where can i see what happend, you suspend my account i can;t do nothing. and they answer again

"As we mention we cannot monitor your bandwidth in real time.
493.29 GB of 256 GB used / -248811568.47 KB free This is the usage from our data.

Your bandwidth will be reset every monthly due date.
Please purchase additional bandwidth if you want to activate your server right away.

Regards,"

i was whatt??? in 2 days i made so much traffic? and how did i get with 200% of bandwith, if i have only 250GB bandwith:)

my answer
"and it's -248811568.47 KB over, how it,s that posibile? are you shure you don't have any errors in server, and showing that i used that bandwith? and i used only 1,2 GB of data? it;s wired that you alowed to use altmost 200% of bandwith, anyway, you must research, i have this vps over 1 year and now this happends, the same data on server, and bandiwth using every month not much 5 10 gb if. but hey anyway...2 days over and i did 500 gb of data thats aswom yeaaa..."

anyway they suspended my account, the last messege from them

"Hello,

The issue is not from our end. Can we reinstall the server and reset the bandwidth for now?"

i don't want to reinstall, i will lose all my data,but at least add a 1/mbps unlimited traffic to have access to vps if something goes wrong. and yeah they suspended me for one month. thanks hostsailor.com you are the best, at least you where... :tired_face:

what it;s you opinion guys? they practice ok, or it's only on me? see around bye.(sorry for my bad english)

Thanked by 1cupluchat

Comments

• if hostsailor have a answer my Ticket ID: AO717714

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

How would re-installing the server help with the bandwidth use? (I mean apart from the obvious of making it near zero usage until you set it up again)

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @ralf said:
    How would re-installing the server help with the bandwidth use? (I mean apart from the obvious of making it near zero usage until you set it up again)

i don't know, they think i am stupid, and i don't know how OpenVZ works. anyway. still verry disappointed with hostsailor.com they offer cheap, but so many errors...

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • coldcold Member

I had that problem 2, but it was some Mistake from their end and they fixed it

• @cold said:
    I had that problem 2, but it was some Mistake from their end and they fixed it

i gald they fixed for you, i know it's an error, but they say that i made so much traffic. i use that vps for my projects, i don't care much, but hey, if you offer on lowendtalk and lowendbox, and you say 99% keep it like that. offer that!!!

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2022

@ralf said:

Compromised VM. Since OP doesn't understand where the usage came from, it's probably something like a Xor.DDoS infection.

Errors can happen with bandwidth calculations, but a compromised VM is far more likely.

Thanked by 2Logano jsg
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@jackb said:

@ralf said:

Compromised VM. Since OP doesn't understand where the usage came from, it's probably something like a Xor.DDoS infection.

Errors can happen with bandwidth calculations, but a compromised VM is far more likely.

it;s not. i don't have run much, and it's under CF, my ssh port it's only with key and only one user(mine)

Thanked by 2Logano cupluchat
  • Why not change providers?

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@henix said:
    Why not change providers?

hey i do have ovh, i have a free tier oracle:) but i have one vz for test, and other stuff. sometime i need something simple to compile, but i want to be clean OS, and i reinstall verry easy with vz :)

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • @r6gear said: it;s not. i don't have run much, and it's under CF, my ssh port it's only with key and only one user(mine)

there are tools to automatically scan and attack dedi/vps/cloud service providers IP ranges based on vulnerabilities of the services running on the machines like web server, db, even docker... etc

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@comXyz said:

@r6gear said: it;s not. i don't have run much, and it's under CF, my ssh port it's only with key and only one user(mine)

there are tools to automatically scan and attack dedi/vps/cloud service providers IP ranges based on vulnerabilities of the services running on the machines like web server, db, even docker... etc

i can assure you, that my vps it's not infected. but anyway, the ideia it's that i'm disappointed still.... with hostsailor, the procedure. but still, if any error from my side, i can't access my vps to analise if it's there any problem in my side. only after one month when "bandwith" resets :) in other servers i have i do use netdata to monitor my servers... but on VZ limited resurces

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • HostSailorHostSailor Member, Patron Provider

Hello

It seems like the usage is quick and it might be a bug or a compromised OS that we can thereby reinstall and reset the bandwidth without additional charges.
    But we need OS needs to be reinstalled first.

so please contact our support team again and they will assist you ASAP

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

It seems like the usage is quick and it might be a bug or a compromised OS that we can thereby reinstall and reset the bandwidth without additional charges.

as i sayd, i have a project that i din't finish and i don't want to lose them. thanks anyway. what it's the point of reinstalling? if you say it's not possible. then i will wait, and the first hour of working vps next month i will investigate to see if any problem in my side.

• emghemgh Member

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

as i sayd, i have a project that i din't finish and i don't want to lose them. thanks anyway. what it's the point of reinstalling? if you say it's not possible. then i will wait, and the first hour of working vps next month i will investigate to see if any problem in my side.

Ask them to unsuspend and promise to reinstall OS within 15 min, get your stuff, reinstall OS.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@emgh said:

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

Ask them to unsuspend and promise to reinstall OS within 15 min, get your stuff, reinstall OS.

maybe one hour i need :D thers some stuff on. to backup. i asked if posibile to have one hour to back-up my files. and logs. quick and i'm out. and reinstalling the OS

Thanked by 2emgh cupluchat

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

the reason behind the bandwidth usage will be something inside the OS, and hence we are suggesting a reinstall.
    If we are activating it without reinstalling it, the server will use the bandwidth again and get suspended.

• r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@HostSailor said:

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

the reason behind the bandwidth usage will be something inside the OS, and hence we are suggesting a reinstall.
    If we are activating it without reinstalling it, the server will use the bandwidth again and get suspended.

thers nothing in that vps to harm, i know every file on there. becouse these projects i run them after on other servers. on productions, so you don't want, i don't know what it's the reason. then i will wait then next month to inspect, i don't thing i will make 250Gb trafic in one hour, right? :) or 500 as you sayd i did (lol)

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • so i got the same answer

"Hello,

The issue seems to be due to a compromised OS, so activating without a reinstallation will cause the suspension once again.

Regards,"

ok then. i have work to do. see ya guys.

Thanked by 1cupluchat

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:

@r6gear said:

@HostSailor said:
    Hello

thers nothing in that vps to harm, i know every file on there. becouse these projects i run them after on other servers. on productions, so you don't want, i don't know what it's the reason. then i will wait then next month to inspect, i don't thing i will make 250Gb trafic in one hour, right? :) or 500 as you sayd i did (lol)

Your server has already exceeded its maximum bandwidth, so it has been suspended, and If we are activating it without reinstalling it, the server will use the bandwidth again and get suspended automatically.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@r6gear said:
    i reinstall verry easy with vz :)

If you don't harden the server and upgrade packages, the system gets compromised.

@r6gear said:
    sometime i need something simple to compile, but i want to be clean OS

Use Docker or LXC to have a clean OS at every compilation.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

to be clear. my system it's not compromised. i never got compromised in any of my system. if was, my other system was too. i use centos. and it's openvz, so the admin if want to scan my files he can! it's just like folder in the system.

Thanked by 2SLMob cupluchat
  • @r6gear said:
    to be clear. my system it's not compromised. i never got compromised in any of my system. if was, my other system was too. i use centos.

Using CentOS does not mean your OS can't get compromised.

What specifically helped you come to the conclusion it's not compromised?

As far as we know, only the following information has been validated:

1. Your VM was suspended due to bandwidth overage
    Thanked by 1intermall
  • r6gearr6gear Member
    edited August 2022

@HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:
    to be clear. my system it's not compromised. i never got compromised in any of my system. if was, my other system was too. i use centos.

500 gb bandwith in 2 days? but anyway? sorry if any other pepole get some storage vps from them, and they got over, they get suspended and they have to reinstall OS with data they have on the vps?

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@r6gear said:
    it's openvz, so the admin if want to scan my files he can! it's just like folder in the system.

If you have nothing private, ask @HostSailor to publish a tarball of your folder, so that everyone can see whether it's compromised.

Thanked by 2ralf Not_Oles
  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited August 2022

@r6gear said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:

500 gb bandwith in 2 days?

It can happen with a compromised system. It's your server, and that means whatever happens on it is your responsibility, including sticking to the TOS/AUP.
    How did the negotiation regarding activating the server for an hour with the promise that you will reinstall the OS go anyway?

• @r6gear said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:

500 gb bandwith in 2 days? but anyway? sorry if any other pepole get some storage vps from them, and they got over, they get suspended and they have to reinstall OS with data they have on the vps?

500 GB bandwidth in 2 days is dependent on what was done or expected and what it's use is.

For example, if you have it as a regular backup system where every night you transfer 100 GB of data to it, then that makes sense. But if it was not intended to do this, then that doesn't make sense and either it's compromised or a misconfiguration may have happened resulting in bandwidth overage.

There are various avenues you could have been compromised. Some are either very obvious or others aren't. You should be working with your hosting provider to try and see if you can investigate and look into why this has occurred.

• @yoursunny said:

@r6gear said:
    it's openvz, so the admin if want to scan my files he can! it's just like folder in the system.

If you have nothing private, ask @HostSailor to publish a tarball of your folder, so that everyone can see whether it's compromised.

lol! of course it's private! :) i don't share some of my work over internet.

Thanked by 1cupluchat
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2022

Dude is 2022, move your stuff to a provider with unmetered bw.
    Unless you are paying like 2 dollars a year...

For a VPS 256GB bw is too low.

Maybe one of your backup routines went wild?

If you are a developer, maybe one of your JavaScript packages is compromised from a supply chain attack. It happen more than it should.

Don't trust templates. Remember what happened with solusvm debian template vulnerability with a default user?

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@r6gear said:

500 GB bandwidth in 2 days is dependent on what was done or expected and what it's use is.

For example, if you have it as a regular backup system where every night you transfer 100 GB of data to it, then that makes sense. But if it was not intended to do this, then that doesn't make sense and either it's compromised or a misconfiguration may have happened resulting in bandwidth overage.

There are various avenues you could have been compromised. Some are either very obvious or others aren't. You should be working with your hosting provider to try and see if you can investigate and look into why this has occurred.

my opinion it's that the OpenVZ server has some bugs, and got so much traffic, but i'm done with this. i have work to do, i just sayd i am disappointed! they can't resolve a simple over bandwidth. i requested one hour to pull my work, nop not posibile, i asked to limit to 1 mb sec. nup not posibile. so i'm losing my time.

Thanked by 1cupluchat