Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virmach: down for over 12 hours - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virmach: down for over 12 hours

124»

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said:
    Alternatively, send one push-up per CPU flag to @VirMach along with your IP, and VirBot will enable them for you, without needing to reinstall.

Please, spare me your pushup BS.

Actually, "push-up in front of VNC" is an officially confirmed method to enable CPU passthru at VirMach.

(click on the screenshot to visit original comment)

• edited July 2022

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:
    What really somewhat shocked me though is the AES result which is way below even older Xeons while at the same time the RSA result is about what one would expect from a 26xx v 3 or 4 or an Epyc, but with pretty much all relevant flags - needlessly - disabled; you get SSE but only up to sse3 and no AES hardware support, no popcnt, etc.

Your incompetence has been doubled.
    We have SSE 4.2 and AES and SHA-NI.

So? All that means is that you looked at a different node . Mine doesn't have AES hardware support and sse4x and that's what I was looking at and writing about, my VPS.

Alternatively, send one push-up per CPU flag to @VirMach along with your IP, and VirBot will enable them for you, without needing to reinstall.

If you're seeing "QEMU" as the CPU then I'm pretty sure you didn't install one of the new templates. I don't know the current instructions but back when my JP box was set up, installing AlmaLinux and then reinstalling Debian meant the OS able to see the 5900X CPU instead of "QEMU". (If your VPS is long operational, then I think the only way to get CPU passthrough is a reinstall)

openssl speed -elapsed -evp aes-128-gcm for my JP box:

The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes  16384 bytes
    aes-128-gcm     620098.29k  1687696.55k  3447245.57k  3420321.11k  3965610.67k  5310376.62k

For my home desktop (same CPU):

type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes  16384 bytes
    aes-128-gcm     822452.31k  1608973.82k  3891868.42k  5097401.69k  5744377.86k  5978379.61k

edit: fixed test lmao

Thanked by 1adly
  • @yoursunny said:
    Your incompetence has been doubled.
    We have SSE 4.2 and AES and SHA-NI.

@jsg said:

So? All that means is that you looked at a different node . Mine doesn't have AES hardware support and sse4x and that's what I was looking at and writing about, my VPS.

@Jsg You haven't mentioned the node! You also haven't confirmed the CRUCIAL step of using the updated Ryzen template, to enable pass-through. Once done, install whatever is your fancy.

Agreed.

[Signed in specifically to comment: signed out before vulgar abuse from other forum members. Back to OGF, where unfortunately some also frequent.]

Thanked by 1adly
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Back to OGF, where unfortunately some also frequent.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2022

@yoursunny said:

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said:

Actually, "push-up in front of VNC" is an officially confirmed method to enable CPU passthru at VirMach.

OK, noted, I shouldn't take Virmach seriously then and not renew my VPS, because I prefer professional providers. Thanks for the info.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @Jsg You haven't mentioned the node!

Correct, but then my intention wasn't to do a full review. Besides what sense does that make if customers can't select the node their VPS will be put on?

You also haven't confirmed the CRUCIAL step of using the updated Ryzen template, to enable pass-through. Once done, install whatever is your fancy.

>

Thanks, please see my response below.

Agreed.

Thank you!

[Signed in specifically to comment: signed out before vulgar abuse from other forum members. Back to OGF, where unfortunately some also frequent.]

Modern (and in particular western) societies and LET are in a sad state indeed.

@MallocVoidstar said:
    If you're seeing "QEMU" as the CPU then I'm pretty sure you didn't install one of the new templates. I don't know the current instructions but back when my JP box was set up, installing AlmaLinux and then reinstalling Debian meant the OS able to see the 5900X CPU instead of "QEMU". (If your VPS is long operational, then I think the only way to get CPU passthrough is a reinstall)

[some data]

That's probably true but (a) my point wasn't to make a full review but simply to get (and then show) some data here for a first orientation, (b) both the data before and after the "upgrade" (or whatever) were taken based on the same setup/config, and (c) that system was not set up using any of their templates, it was an ISO install iirc.

And btw I wouldn't jump through funny @Virmach template/panel gadgets/whatever loops anyway. I expect a provider to offer a sensible default config and if they, like Virmach it seems, do not then that's not my problem.
    Also keep in mind that my Virmach VPS is the tiniest they offer (afaik) and it was and still is more than plenty good enough for what I use it for.
    Maybe I'd be willing to waste some minutes on their funny games if I had a more beefy VPS with them and actually needed every last ounce of performance achievable (theoretically speaking because it's excessively unlikely that I'd get such a VPS from a company that plays along with pushups BS but doesn't keep their promises and hardly communicates when SHTF).

• I'm pretty sure the vast majority of customers install using the templates, not ISOs, so they do offer a sensible default config.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • fluffernutterfluffernutter Member
    edited July 2022

@jsg said:

Reinstall with the almalinux template, then reinstall again with your preferred OS. Tada, now you have AES.

EDIT: just saw you already got this advice, sorry!

Thanked by 1adly
  • @stevewatson301 said:

@angstrom said:

@Logano said:
    lol OP got banned for calling mods Nazis...
    Maybe try calling them Japanese imperialists next time.

Alternatively, here's a revolutionary concept: why not stop calling mods names?

As mentioned in my PMS thread a few days ago, was any attempt made to communicate with the user about why said evaluation was made and what should be done in their opinion to correct it?

'preciate it.

• My VPS is down since last 3 days.
    No response for support ticket. Even for so called "Priority Support"

• I just give it up. where should I move my servers to?

• @kjl24 said:
    I just give it up. where should I move my servers to?

Don't give out details like specs or location if you want help. People love guessing!

Thanked by 2alilet skorous