Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call for alpha testers: A new global network testing service - open source - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Call for alpha testers: A new global network testing service - open source

Comments

• ObelousObelous Member

It really needs to display info better in my opinion, like HTTP status codes

• jimaekjimaek Member

Can you please provide more details?

Are you talking about the web UI? Can you describe your specific pain points and use case?

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

What are the ratelimits? Is an API key required, if so, how to get one?

• jimaekjimaek Member

@BasToTheMax said:
    What are the ratelimits? Is an API key required, if so, how to get one?

At the moment the limits are turned off, only a few basic ones for anti-abuse.

In the near future there will be limits per IP per hour and API keys. Both high enough to ensure the service remains useful and valuable for everyone.

Limits per IP will be the best option for third-party integrations of the GP API, since the site building the integration wont have to think about limits at all.

API keys will be added once the probe management dashboard goes live, it will allow users that host probes to get extra credits for their contribution.

edited May 2023

Okay.

@jimaek said: API keys will be added once the probe management dashboard goes live, it will allow users that host probes to get extra credits for their contribution.

I host two probes :sunglasses:
    I might host a third one.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2023

@jimaek said:
    API keys will be added once the probe management dashboard goes live, it will allow users that host probes to get extra credits for their contribution.

Nice.

@jimaek said: API keys will be added once the probe management dashboard goes live, it will allow users that host probes to get extra credits for their contribution.

Is there an ETA available?

• jimaekjimaek Member

I would say mid-end of Q3 for production. There's already an internal version but it doesn't have the polish required for a public facing product yet

• LeviLevi Member

Is that hardkernel box? I have one bought, they are very crappy in the longer run.

• jimaekjimaek Member

@LTniger said:
    Is that hardkernel box? I have one bought, they are very crappy in the longer run.

It's not, here's a review of the hardware probe https://lowendbox.com/blog/getting-started-with-globalping-hands-on/

But software probes are still the main participation option as they run almost everywhere :)

• kaitkait Member

No ipv6 support? Super cool product though.

Thanked by 3jimaek xms lorian
  • jimaekjimaek Member

@kait said:
    No ipv6 support? Super cool product though.

Thanks. V6 is planned for later once everything else is in place and we better understand how to implement proper support in all components

Thanked by 1kait
  • LeviLevi Member

@jimaek said:

@LTniger said:

It's not, here's a review of the hardware probe https://lowendbox.com/blog/getting-started-with-globalping-hands-on/

But software probes are still the main participation option as they run almost everywhere :)

Well, it is definitely hardkernel's NanoPI NEO. It is discontinued hardware.

Any reason why you don't disclose this fact?

https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO

• jimaekjimaek Member

Not sure what hardkenel has to do with it, it looks like a marketplace and not the producer. And it's not really discontinued, maybe for individual users, but you can still order them in batches from the factory. They fit perfectly our needs at the moment.

Its easy to figure out what it is simply by opening it, so I dont hide it, but I don't want people ordering the probes for the hardware itself.

By calling it a "hardware Globalping probe" rather than "nanopi neo with pre-installed probe" I hope people will view the whole thing as a Globalping device and not as a free computer :)

Thanked by 1Levi
  • JabJabJabJab Member

@LTniger said:

Is hardkernel and FriendlyElec the same company?

• LeviLevi Member

@JabJab said:

@LTniger said:

Is hardkernel and FriendlyElec the same company?

They are different, but hardkernel produced same board. I can't find info on their page, probably removed.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited June 2023

Hello,

I think Belakangpadang, ID, AS - Shock Hosting LLC (AS395092) should be Singapore (SG) not Indonesia (ID). @jimaek

• im hosting 2 probes from 2 different providers and ive setup 8 docker containers on different servers to support the project. Just one big problem: if location/city is wrong nobody will ever change that. I tried through github but nobody was responding

• jimaekjimaek Member

@febryanvaldo said:
    Hello,

I think Belakangpadang, ID, AS - Shock Hosting LLC (AS395092) should be Singapore (SG) not Indonesia (ID). @jimaek

Indeed, ipinfo is wrong. I noted it.

@gbzret4d said:
    im hosting 2 probes from 2 different providers and ive setup 8 docker containers on different servers to support the project. Just one big problem: if location/city is wrong nobody will ever change that. I tried through github but nobody was responding

Unfortunately it's not as simple as manually changing the geo of an IP. It wouldn't scale at all. So all feedback regarding wrong geos is noted and will be processed as part of this task https://github.com/jsdelivr/globalping/issues/265

Just need some time to get there as its a difficult issue to solve.

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • jimaekjimaek Member

The Globalping Slack App is finally listed on the official marketplace! https://slack.com/apps/A03B3JB0PB2-globalping

Feel free to install it to run tests solo or as a team. It even works in threads.

We additionally updated the Geo IP detection logic which should have improved the location detection of all probes. Small issues like close by cities will be fixable in the dashboard too.

If there are specific integration you would like to see us build please let me know!

@jimaek said:
    The Globalping Slack App is finally listed on the official marketplace! https://slack.com/apps/A03B3JB0PB2-globalping

Feel free to install it to run tests solo or as a team. It even works in threads.

We additionally updated the Geo IP detection logic which should have improved the location detection of all probes. Small issues like close by cities will be fixable in the dashboard too.

If there are specific integration you would like to see us build please let me know!

A discord bot for this would be cool. I use discord on a day-to-day basis.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • jimaekjimaek Member

We actually half built a Discord bot, but stopped because we realized we didn't know to make it feel good, what is considered a good UX and how to even promote it. Nobody in our team really uses Discord so we don't "get it".

If you have time (or anyone else) and want to help out we would appreciate a detailed GitHub issue describing how a Globalping Discord bot should look like :)

• jimaekjimaek Member
    edited October 2023

I will use this thread as some kind of dev diary if that's cool. I think people might find it interesting.

I also started looking into the v2 hardware probes. The most interesting option at the moment is actually cheap Android TV boxes.
    The new ones have a better chipset, more RAM and are cheaper the v1 probes. We would of course completely replace the firmware to ensure proper security.
    I ordered a few samples to run tests.
    The only downside is that they are bigger and plastic. Plus the factory wants us to order a minimum of 500 devices, which is too expensive, but per device its actually super cheap.
    The best part is that we can have a custom logo lasered on all of them.

• Doing some good work jimaek. Thanks for adding IPv6, will make us very happy.

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • Thumb up 👍

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • Potential v2 probe samples arrived. It has more RAM and a better CPU while being actually cheaper to produce. Next step is lots of testing, both in terms of stable firmware and reliable hardware.

Thanked by 2fatchan sasslik
  • What kind of Android TV Box this is? :D

• Haha a cheap one, but since we don't need it to process video it fits perfectly the use-case :)

Turns out many android tv boxes often use better hardware while being cheaper than "dev boards".
    If it turns out to be stable it could allow me to ship more probes with the same budget.

• I admire people who go again at doing business despite previous setbacks. Best of luck!

Thanked by 1jimaek
  • @jimaek said: Haha a cheap one

Oh, I full expected that - but what SoC/CPU inside? I would assume you guys going Armbian so something from supported list, but (for example) S905W is not in production anymore, there is some strange S905W4 iirc? Like how future proof you trying to stay? :D