Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help me find the three best Low End Drama threads from Low End Talk history. Thank you! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please help me find the three best Low End Drama threads from Low End Talk history. Thank you!

Comments

• @jbiloh said: We are still perfecting the approach.

From my perspective, I can't help but suggest a swift course correction to your current approach - focus more on well-written technical posts that are unique and will bring the right people here.

Frankly, I think others could attest that LEB is the laughing stock of LET and is already one of the main sources of drama as it is (see: this thread, the 200 or so deadpooled providers over the past few years, the scams, etc etc) I don't think it would be in your interests, nor LEB's, to showcase that in such a way that it seems celebrated the way it's being done.

The other side of it is too, and this could just be me, but you're effectively putting the paid provider tag holders at risk of becoming the next LEB drama article and possibly creating a negative feedback loop.

Example: Provider XYZ drama fires up, you're now going to pay Oles or Raindog to write up an article on LEB about it, while Provider XYZ is paying you to promote his business.

@jbiloh said: The intention is to create a large drag net to bring new users to LET and LEB from a variety of different verticals.

I can imagine that a large drag net would be useful if you are casting it in a pool of premium fish, but in this case it seems as though the drag net has been thrown into a lake near the Chernobyl reactor and will catch little more than radioactive weeds and 5-headed fish, with all due respect.

I have thought about this for a while now, and if I were in your position, I'd just redirect LEB directly to the forums and call it a day. The forums would see an immediate increase in traffic, your LET ads would instantly receive more impressions, which means LET could have a higher impression rate and make more money from the ads potentially. Since LET is what is now monetized, and you are selling subscriptions to providers, why not go all in on LET and divert 100% of your efforts here instead of split? With all due respect.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2022

@jbiloh said: The intention is to create a large drag net to bring new users to LET and LEB from a variety of different verticals.

No! Well yes, in your case. It's not about quality or the right attraction. Just anything will do that bumps up the traffic.

• @Lee said:

No! Well yes, in your case. It's not about quality or the right attraction. Just anything will do that bumps up the traffic.

Also, it's unlikely that the average demographic who needs to read up on a comparison of note taking apps or surveillance laws would be motivated to interact on LET or otherwise fit in with the core value prop of LEB, which is to sell servers/hosting services.

Thanked by 3dahartigan Lee adly
  • turdskiturdski Member
    edited April 2022

@FrankZ said:
    EDIT: It seems the user @greenvalleyhost has been deleted and posts seem to be gone too. If I have the username wrong can someone help out with the right one.

@greenvalleyhost has been changed to @jnguyen

• @stevewatson301 said:

@Lee said:

Also, it's unlikely that the average demographic who needs to read up on a comparison of note taking apps or surveillance laws would be motivated to interact on LET or otherwise fit in with the core value prop of LEB, which is to sell servers/hosting services.

Further to that, who would want to join the forums and become the center of the next drama and get a writeup on LEB about it?

I think as it is, there are a lot of lurkers who are reading but don't want to engage because they are either too scared to (we could probably all do our part to improve on this one, myself included) due to fear of getting flamed etc.

**If you're reading this, and you're a lurker who feels that if you were to post, I or someone else would attack you, please let me know by liking this post. I will check the likes, and any accounts with 0 comments will be counted as a signal. Send me a PM or something, I won't bite. ** For science, of course :) I would love to be wrong about this, but I think it's something worth checking while we're all here with our bare bollocks on display.

• miaumiau Member

@jbiloh said:

@Lee said:

@dahartigan said: every time I see a new thread from LET's "content creators" - it just seems too forced and unnatural.

This is all I saw. When I looked down through the content I just couldn't understand the relevance or why. To be fair @raindog308 is a competent technical writer for hosting related topics but comparisons of notes software, is social media a failed experiment, why? But, they were still well written. @Not_Oles is not a technical person from what I can see and he seems to be struggling to find any good, well-written content full stop.

And there is a new article by @raindog308 about a RAMdisk, see, relevant and I even spent time to read it. Interesting, relevant content.

It's a hosting forum, that is what people are going to be interested in and will go to LEB to read.

Glad you found some of the content useful.

The intention is to create a large drag net to bring new users to LET and LEB from a variety of different verticals. We are still perfecting the approach.

The LET version of EA's "sense of pride and accomplishment".

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@stevewatson301 said: it's unlikely that the average demographic who needs to read up on a comparison of note taking apps or surveillance laws would be motivated to interact on LET or otherwise fit in with the core value prop of LEB, which is to sell servers/hosting services.

Exactly this.

• the best drama thread was the guy that got into the motorcycle accident and put up a gofundme and LET users and hosting company owners sent him money that he didnt need and then it turned out he was deeply involved in questionable business practices.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    The intention is to create a large drag net to bring new users to LET and LEB from a variety of different verticals.

One attracts by offering something attractive.

Offering poop only attracts poop-eating creatures.

Thanked by 3bulbasaur adly BlaZe
  • adlyadly Veteran

I'm amazed @Not_Oles is getting paid to write this stuff. I can't quite figure out if its deep trolling or for real. 🤷‍♂️

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Lee said:

We want to strive for quality.

Broad variety of content is also a goal.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said:

@jbiloh said:
    The intention is to create a large drag net to bring new users to LET and LEB from a variety of different verticals.

One attracts by offering something attractive.

Offering poop only attracts poop-eating creatures.

Certainly not looking to attract poop! :)

• @adly said:
    I'm amazed @Not_Oles is getting paid to write this stuff. I can't quite figure out if its deep trolling or for real. 🤷‍♂️

https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-become-a-successful-solo-low-end-hosting-provider-how-one-guy-is-succeeding-in-2022/

A brag post?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2022

@dahartigan said:

@adly said:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-become-a-successful-solo-low-end-hosting-provider-how-one-guy-is-succeeding-in-2022/

A brag post?

Look. The author is definitely just sharing his experience and offering is gratitude to those who've been supportive of his initiative. It's just a cross section on how to take your journey. I wouldn't say it's a brag post.

@Not_Oles just joined the team a bit early on. What's needed is a good editorial staff member to get his content up to speed, but I do think he's looking to diversify and give a unique perspective (and direction) to the content on LEB. The actual success of the articles will show in due time, but the guy's still pretty new to writing for LEB and is trying to find his footing.

Ease up. If you don't like his articles then don't read his articles and don't generate any traffic for his posts. Noone's going to be a superstar out the gate.

It's when that diversifying/exploring post goes into a bit of a "danger territory" (as we'd think of it anyways) is when we give a nudging message like this. But beyond that, don't beat down a guy who's trying.

Thanked by 1Thundas
  • TGTTGT Member

A moderator ....... such a professional.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited April 2022

@dahartigan said:

@adly said:

A brag post?

Sorry, even boomer.host is more professional than Not_Oles because at least Boomer has some level of environment isolation, whereas Darkstar provides none.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@dahartigan said:

@adly said:

A brag post?

Sorry, even boomer.host is more professional than Not_Oles because at least Boomer has some level of environment isolation, whereas Darkstar provides none.

It’s not intended to though, so not really a fair comparison.

Just generally, as much as I love a pile-in, I think we’ve got to draw a line here. A lot of us don’t care for the new LET articles, but in all fairness, we are not the target audience.

There’s little point in us complaining because clearly no-one is listening to us, so all we can do is let the powers that be get on with it. None of us bothered about LET when it was just @raindog308 writing articles, so we should revert to that position IMHO.

• @Not_Oles They pay you to make dramas? @jbiloh Where can I apply?

• james50ajames50a Member
    edited April 2022

Not sure why some people are complaining about the quality of the articles... You complain more, then biloh thinks we actually care and dumps more money into it and kills more deals with some vip provider tag only 9.99 more or some shit.
    Solution as i see it is just to use forums as normal and ignore the added video, articles or any other paid content until it hopefully just goes away. (or maybe I'm outta touch and people want to pay for this stuff?)
    Regardless would be happy to read any articles written by notoles as he gets the privilege to find what a shit storm he walked into should they be posted elsewhere.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur WSWD
  • @Nekki said: as much as I love a pile-in, I think we’ve got to draw a line here.

I'm not piling in. If @Not_Oles were so inclined, he could use something like Virtualbox to write his own panel to assign static IPs to VMs and add some iptables rules to forward traffic to each VM from a given range of ports. That would contribute to a fun series of articles on LEB, and his offering would become better as well.

(Those thinking that this is too involved a project only need to look at @yoursunny's VMAPI, @tetech's LXCBox and @Neoon's MicroLXC/NanoKVM.)

@Nekki said: None of us bothered about LET when it was just @raindog308 writing articles

@Not_Oles' trash content is quite something else though.

Thanked by 2adly devp
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@Nekki said: as much as I love a pile-in, I think we’ve got to draw a line here.

I'm not piling in. If @Not_Oles were so inclined, he could use something like Virtualbox to write his own panel to assign static IPs to VMs and add some iptables rules to forward traffic to each VM from a given range of ports. That would contribute to a fun series of articles on LEB, and his offering would become better as well.

I’m talking about the pile-on regarding the articles, anyone complaining about the MetalVPS thing is entirely missing the point of that service, IMO.

@Nekki said: None of us bothered about LET when it was just @raindog308 writing articles

@Not_Oles' trash content is quite something else though.

And by reading it and subsequently ridiculing it, you’re probably helping to make it the most successful content LEB has had for some time.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur adly
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2022

@stevewatson301 said: @Not_Oles' trash content is quite something else though.

Not the best certainly, the MetalVPS one was pretty relevant and could have been more interesting. He took on a challenge there and did quite well with it. Missed opportunity though, could have been a multi-part series:

1. Why did I want to start MetalVPS, what were my plans/goals.
    2. How I configured the server, what software I used, and issues encountered.
    3. Dealing with customers, support, billing, struggles etc.
    4. Lessons learnt, what I would do differently.

Play to your strengths, and write about things you know about, you can write all day about what you know, your experiences and so on. Those will always be far more interesting.

Threads like this one, asking for the 3 best low-end dramas. Potential for a good article if written by someone who knows what the best of the LET dramas were and lived through them. Wouldnt need to ask.

But if you are having to ask others what 3 to choose, I can tell you now, the article will be full of gaps and basically shit.

Thanked by 2adly yoursunny
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Awesome thread, already a Drama in itself.

Frankly, @Not_Oles is giving best towards his job as content_writer for LET. May be this thread was not able to give him some clear winner in terms of Drama but he did create one more Drama, see this thread.

Also, I am very much eager to know the top_most drama which should have been mentioned here but no-one yet mentioned - as per @Not_Oles .

Thanked by 3yoursunny zed Peppery9
  • adlyadly Veteran

@Saahib said:
    Frankly, @Not_Oles is giving best towards his job as content_writer for LET.

No doubt meeting what @jbiloh requires of the job - any content. But typically I’d expect a content writer to be delivering relevant and interesting content. 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 2bulbasaur Lee
  • LET sometimes reminds me of Slashdot after one of the ownership changes and the editors changed. Oh, they were defective. You really couldn't tell if they were incompetent or malicious trolls intentionally posting the stupidest shit to attract viewers who then trash the editors. The word "editor" shouldn't be in the same timezone as them.

Drove me away from otherwise, well discussed topics from some really smart people.

• edited April 2022

@Saahib said:
    Frankly, @Not_Oles is giving best towards his job as content_writer for LET. May be this thread was not able to give him some clear winner in terms of Drama but he did create one more Drama, see this thread.

+1 for @Not_Oles. I like his articles so far, @jbiloh made a great choice & this Drama article will be great.

Look how well @Not_Oles is avoiding attacking the trolls like a veteran. Good move @Not_Oles, let the trolls be trolls & keep your head up. They're consistent in attacking everyone @jbiloh hires or anything he does.

Thanked by 1Peppery9
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: Look how well @Not_Oles is avoiding attacking the trolls like a veteran.

Honesty is not trolling. I get how you wouldn't understand that.

• GVH / woothosting
    Hostsolutions.ro

• zedzed Member

you could prob get all 3 top threads from one provider (like gvh), some of the shit transcended individual threads.. and time!

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

GVH nuggets should be getting out of prison soon, right?

That'd be a LEB interview I'd actually read. He's a smart kid, got inspired by the notion of #winning and did some really dumb shit trying to chase money. It'd be interesting to see what words he has to share with others.

Thanked by 1ehab